Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

OK!

Been talking about this in another thread, and I'm torn still.

I plan on getting rid of my T4i, and upgrading so I can shoot sports photography as well as some portraits and the like. I am currently on the 70D and the 7D. My main issue with the 7D is the fact that it doesn't have a flip screen (I like to get low angled shots, gently caress the touch screen), the video capabilities aren't as good and the wifi capabilities would be really fun to mess around with (that iphone app blew me away). Problems with the 70D include the fact that the buffer is HALF of what the 7D is, the shell (even though they are both weather resistant and I am not rough at all with my camera), and the FPS.

So, I come to you. Video capability is something I could USE (not need) because I am also a journalist, and have essentially everything I need to make a story. Audio booth, editing software, and the like. So, it would be nice to have something that could do that and it really impressed me with how the 70D handled video, focusing while in video mode, and the quality. Sports photography is going to be my main focus. I will be opening a small venture to try and go to local clubs, youth games and the like to get photos and get money as a side job. A hobby really, but one that I feel like I can start to make money off of, at least pocket change to help pay for the equipment I'm going to pay out for. This will include taking portraits and the occasional wedding. Those are simple enough, but won't be a focus for me as sports would be.

So...I need your help. Seeing that a 70D and a 7D are ROUGHLY the same amount, I'll be selling my t4i, battery pack, extra battery, and 75-300 for around 600-650. What should I get? Or should I wait until the 7Dmkii is announced, and just focus on getting a Sigma 120-300 2.8 for the sports games in the mean time? The reason I'm sort of opposed to that has to deal with the buffer on the T4i which is loving horrible. I could also sell my Tamron 17-50 2.8 with the T4i for an extra 200 or so, but that would mean I'd have to get the kit lens, and I have no idea how the 2 compare.

Help please :ohdear: keep in mind also, that this is something that I can afford only one at a time with. So, if I get the body, I'll have to wait a few months to get the Sigma and vice versa. My first "official" sports shoot is on March 30th for a low league Soccer (Football) game. I've got a really nice Monopod, Manfrotto 690B, I think...Got it in Italy, so that's already taken care of. Really good Mono by the way. Doubles as a club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DILLIGAF posted:

I got a new T5i for $520 shipped ($550 - $30 in Best Buy certs) and so far, I like it a lot.

I know the general consensus about the T5i is 'meh' when comparing it to the T3i & T4i, but I have been playing along with a pair of Rebel XT bodies since they were new on the market.

Of course I bought it before I remembered to check here, so is there anything specifically wrong with the T5i or is it just the "WTF Canon, a new knob does not a new model make!" factor?

eta: hurr, I don't can't math.

There isn't much difference between the T4i and the t5i to be honest. Spec wise, body wise, everything except the kit lens, which is not exactly WHOA!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Keeping all this in mind, would you spring for the lens first or the body? Like I said, my current set up is a T4i

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

17 is ok for that. If you want a 10-15, be prepared to spend an assload of money.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sigma 120-300 2.8 is going to be my next lens. gently caress the low grade poo poo I have.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Of the lenses I've bought off eBay, I have not had a problem with a single one. Ymmv

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, talked to the better half. And she said OK to my adventures of getting further into photography.

Truth of the matter is if I REALLY want to, I can go make the money in Albania over the summer (shoot a wedding per week at 400 dollars, and get hired because Im :siren:American!:siren:)

But Ive decided to wait until the 7D mkii gets announced, which is supposedly going to be this month. Either that or get the 70D.

Chose the 70D because of the video capabilities and the new AF system.

Lens is gonna be Sigma 120-300 based on recommendations here. Lots of cash for a new lens, but I know that lenses hold their worth a hell of a lot more than bodies do.

What would be a fair asking price for mu t4i with kit lens and battery pack?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Entirely depends on your budget, but if you're getting into it purely from a prosumer portrait gig kind of deal, the 70D is perfectly capable at around $900 nowadays, and the 7DMK2 will likely be in the $2500 range, with an added feature set that you might not even notice.

EDIT: Also it could literally be 4 months before it's even announced. No one really knows.

Aspiring Amateur I guess is the term I'd use. To the point where it's a good ground to have fun but also be able to make money if needed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Went on a shoot yesterday, and boy howdy was I out of it. I think I am able to salvage 2-3 photos from the whole parade.

Anyone have any tips when you just can't get everything to click composure wise?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tax return should be coming soon so Ill be lookin to get my 70D.

Ill be sellin my t4i as well

I have heard conflicting reports that getting the kit lens is advisable as it is better than the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Is this horse poo poo? The difference is cost for body only and kit is minimal, about what Id make for sellin the Tamron. I just want to make sure Im not buying the kit thinking its better then staying on my Tamron most of the time. Itd be my all around lens. The Sigma 120-300 is next unless I find a killer deal for a 70-200 F4L with an extender.

I like the Tamron a bunch and would keep to that but it seems the Sigma is the best one so far. Id go prime but I am still new to sports photos and would rather not be limited to a 300 in case hit gets close to me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Haggins posted:

Well I don't think anyone else read it either because I don't know who can shoot sports with a 70-200 f4 and an extender.

It seemed like a decent step.

I will be shootin sports primarily. Thats why Im looking at crop. If the 70-200 is gonna suck for that then fine. Point taken. I asked someone shooting a game a week back and he said thats what he used.

This is new territory for me. What once was a hobby is now turning into a passion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So. After arguing and research. My 70D is finally on the way over here.

Now it's time to sell my t4i

Now for anyone shipping to a APO let me impart the following advice. While most of the time you can ship lithium batteries inside the machine (camera, laptop, phones excluded) and not get caught, the official way, via USPS, to ship lithium batteries is wrapped or packages separately from the camera or whatever. It needs to be shipped in the same package, but the lithium battery needs a home for itself.

Also, no loving companies will ship lithium batteries overseas at all. Which is stupid because the lithium ban was lifted a while ago, yet the reason I was told BH couldn't ship my package was because they cannot modify the contents and therefore, legally, cannot ship the package.

I can't wait to be back in the states sometimes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

JacobRyan posted:

Will you be my friend?!?! For real though, you're right.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just send it to Canon then, or I could just stop being a wimp and manual focus everything. I don't really shoot anything that requires on the fly focusing, it's more so a laziness/convenience factor.

I'll be your friend. Full disclosure. I'm king human being of GiP. So I might rub off on you or rub one off on you while you're sleeping.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just got my 70D in the mail. Holy poo poo I'm already in love with it. The buffer was the first thing I checked out. It took between 18-20 frames on a 90mb/s card (haven't tested on a 45 yet) with RAW and also tried it on Large and got about 130-ish before it fizzed out. The autofocus is quick as poo poo too. The 18-135 STM is a pretty solid lens too from my quick and curious trials with it. I doubt it'll replace my 17-50 2.8 but that STM will probably be my go to for video work. It's super quiet.

I'm really impressed with it compared to my t4i.

Really stoked on it. I can't wait for my next game so I can try it out with the Tamron 70-300. Which completely out performs the Canon 70-300 III that I was using before. The Macro on it is useful if you need one, but it's not a huge selling point for me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It depends on how much cost is for you. A 70D with the 18-135 is something I just bought. I got it for about 1300 brand new. I like it a lot better than my T4i. However, like I said, it really depends on what you want to spend. If you had pms I'd PM you a kit I'm willing to sell (or you can wait later this week when I put it up in the actual buy/sell thread) which is a t4i. However, you won't go wrong with a 70D. The video on the 70D is phenomenal and that STM lens is tits. I like it a lot more than my T4i.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am not too entirely sure, but I'd think that some "aspiring" models would do a quid pro quo deal where you both get practice and product. It's essentially what I'm doing now with my sports shoots. I'm offering free pictures for the opportunity to build my portfolio. Both parties are happy, and when I do decide to actually start charging, I have pictures I can back it up with.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I took my 70D on it's first shoot yesterday and I can tell you that it was an absolute blast to shoot with. The flip screen is nice, and while I wouldn't call it a must have, it definitely helps out. Trying to get low or high angle shots are a lot easier, and the real nice benefit to the 70D is the fact that the flippy screen is also touch screen, which lets you essentially click what you want in focus. The autofocus system while in video is also really good. That STM lens is just so smooth with video it's nuts.

I don't regret that decision at all. Granted the 6D is a full frame camera, but it also comes down to your style of shooting. I didn't have a need for a full frame, and truthfully, the buffer on the 70D is a lot more refreshing, and I feel more comfortable just letting it rip without the buffer slowing down much.

I really can't wait until I have enough money saved to get a faster lens.

As far as low light goes, I haven't gone past 6400 ISO and the big issue is autofocus in that regard. To be fair, that's with a common problem with all cameras.

Also, why go against them getting a rebel? Is this just going to be a glorified point and shoot for them?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

He means that your ISO on your camera is good enough to not really need/require a 2.8 constant aperture.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The buffer listed for that 70D is wrong. I have well over 100 Jpeg shots continuous. I think I actually reached 130-ish.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The 18-135 is really fighting for a spot in my camera bag. Only have room for 2 lenses, and the other lenses are the 17-50 2.8 Tamron, and the 70-300 Tamron. I'd love to have room in it for the lens because it's so nice, but like I said, just hard to compete. Unless I get a bigger bag of course, but I'd rather not carry around a duffle bag.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

hey canon-havers

there's something special about your 50 1.8

...it has fewer aperture blades than my dealextreme spaghetti portioning device

yeah

I love this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I really enjoy my 70D. Took it out a few times on sports shoots and it was phenomenal. Can't compare it to a 7D though. Since I record video (that STM lens is loving great) it helps, and the tilty screen is great when trying to get low angles. The touch screen is nice also cause when recording video, it makes rack focusing soooo smooth. The STM lens is super silent compared to my 17-50 which sounds like an engine turning over in AF mode. All in all it depends on what you need it for, and since I need an all around camera that is ideal for sports, but can do video, it was the perfect choice for me.

I'd love to see what the 7D mkII does, but probably won't be able to afford it as my next purchase is going to be a sigma 120-300. I only have a tamron 70-300 and it's not nearly as fast as I would like. But that's a while off. New kid, moving soon, and wife isn't stoked on spending 1.5-3k for a lens. Even though they don't depreciate in value nearly as bad as bodies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Snapsort put up some specs for the 7DII. Who knows if they're anything close to correct but here you go

24MP
25,600ISO
100% VF
10fps
61 point AF

:wow:

loving nuts. If it has a manageable price tag I'll sell my 70D and snag that.

10fps...holy poo poo!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Seamonster posted:

It'll be CF/SD card. There's no reason why they won't use slightly modified 5DIII body shells (pop up flash?) to keep production fast and "costs" down. Note the 3.2'' LCD.

Hopefully they won't and give it the flip screen. I like that feature, even if it comes off as gimmicky.

But your suggestion is a better bet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Certain people are weirdly loyal to Canon even when it comes to lenses that are twice the price of other lenses that are actually better.

Just browse the Canon Rumors forums for a little bit. It's sacrilege to even suggest a Sigma or Tamron sometimes.

I don't get this. The first suggestion I got was a Tamron 17-50 and I love it. Third party lenses are, and can be fantastic.

Don't buy a brand, buy a product.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You'll start to get a fish eye effect if you go to low.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Official lens? Off brand lenses can perform just as well if not better than some canon lenses. My tamron 17-50 almost never leaves my camera. The tamron 70-300 is miles better than the canon 70-300 III. Really, its a name people are familiar with so it gets marked up I think. Its the difference between buying Alienware and a HP. Both can do the same thing but its a name attached to one.

Also like "mac only External HDs". Thats bullshit. I know a few people who paid more for that then a normal one without realizing that you can format the hardrive to work on a mac without paying extra.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sell both and get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've used both the Tamron and the canon 70-300 and the Tamron is way better.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

Do this and then go get that Tamron 70-300 too and you'll be set. Then think about the pancake 40 because it's soooooo awesome :3

I went to a big camera store today and hefted a Tamzooka around. It is...definitely enormous. No other way to say it. It's also hilarious seeing how many zoom markers you fly past (150...200...300...400...500!...600?!?!).

This is the exact set up I have minus the 40. Easily covers all ranges, and Tamron makes amazing lenses for the price.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Refurb 7D is crazy discounted at $719.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-7d-body-refurbished

edit: Also not sure it got mentioned already, but Amazon is showing the 7D as "discontinued"

Why couldn't this been months ago when I had to choose what new camera to buy...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The 50mm f/1.4 is a worthwhile upgrade from the f/1.8 if you can get it for the right price. For example, Canon Refurbished had it for $271 two days ago (now sold out) and there's almost always one in the gear trading thread for ~$200-250.

What? I thought they were a few hundred more easily

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm still trying to sell my Tamron 60 Macro on Craigslist so I can use part of the money to buy a 40 pancake but no one has loving messaged me about it :argh:

Maybe I'll put it on SA Mart.

How much?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have mine without, you really don't need it to be honest. The 70-300 is good too.

I'd recommend it without to be honest. Cheaper, and you really don't need the VC

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Unless you are shooting in a sand storm you will not need a UV filter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ok. For sports (soccer). Tamzooka or Sigma 120-300 2.8?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A buddy of mine recently sent his 50D into Adorama to see how much they would give him for it, and they weren't gonna give him much at all so he decided not to sell and they sent it back to him. But when he got it back from them, it had a Tamron 70-300 on it, a lens that he never owned and didn't send in with the camera originally :mmmhmm:

Nice!

I've found the best thing to do is to sell the camera second hand to someone on Craigslist or something. I tried to send my t4i to BH and they essentially said they'd give me 100 dollars in credit.

Screw that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Phummus posted:

What's everyone's take on Magic Lantern? It looks intriguing, and like it adds a ton of features. Is it useful for an amateur who shoots mainly photos (vs. video)?

ML is for video.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A guy I watch, Tony Northrup, was pretty unhappy with the 7d2. Essentially recognized the strengths but still recommends the 70d to people. It's a specialized camera for sure, and some of the stuff they should have added they didn't.

I'm glad I got my 70D. It's great. I don't feel like I'm missing out a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sort of. Crop sensors usually have higher pixel density meaning that there is more resolution available in a smaller area. This is what gets you your "crop zoom". In actual practice, you don't get anything like 60% more resolution and the crop reach advantage is really limited to very specific shooting situations - lots of light, distant subject. Full frame gets you the benefit of being able to collect more light so IQ improves and you have less noise. You can usually crop almost to the same point as the 1.6x and have the same, sometimes better, IQ. There is a reason that Canon and Nikon's top end pro action bodies are full frame instead of crop, and its because FF has better IQ in a broader range of shooting applications. Crop's main advantage is lower cost and a little more bang for your buck with long lenses.

I get a real KRock vibe from this dude. He seems off and his wiki just screams "shameless self promoter"

He does promote his book and all that poo poo a bunch. Some of his stuff is informational as well (to me I guess). But he isn't afraid to promote his poo poo, that's true.

I dunno, I just try to weed through the bullshit, ignore the podcast poo poo he does and stick to the 5-10 minute videos