Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really like the focus peaking from Magic Lantern. Is that too inaccurate for what you are shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Bob Mundon posted:

Got the 40mm pancake for Christmas, wow is that lens awesome. Been said a lot, but really you have no excuse not to pick one up. Glad they have a 24mm now for crop sensors, very pleasantly surprised at how nice 40mm is on a full frame. Except in really low light or have enough room to use an 85, this isn't coming off the camera very much.

I think I will pick it up too, my father has it and I love playing around with it. Also canon has a special cash back offer running in Germany right now, maybe they are doing the same thing in other countries too. You get 30€ if you buy a pancake, 50€ for a T5i (I just ordered one, will be here on Monday :allears:) and for some of the insanely expensive L stuff you even get 200€ back. And the 55-250 Stm is looking really nice as well at 190€ and 30€ cash back :ohdear:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Please talk me out of buying the 55-250mm STM. I just bought a 700D (T5i) and with the cashback deal Canon is running at the moment it would cost me ~140€. I have actually used it a few times (my father has it) and I loving love it. It's really sharp, the IS works like some kind of black magic and the AF is fast and absolutely silent.

The only cons for me are:
- I don't really have the money right now

:(

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 3, 2015

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

somnolence posted:

No one would look down upon you for whoring yourself out for new gear.

You're not helping :argh:.

Is there any good reason not to buy it? I'm not going to switch to FF anytime soon.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could definitely get more than €140 if you resold it!

True

timrenzi574 posted:

It's a great lens, really not any good reasons against it other than you said you don't have the money right now. Good range, good optics, good IS, and it weighs next to nothing.

That's what I was afraid of :(

Ah well, I just bought it. It's not that I don't have the money but I was saving up for a 6 month trip to Africa. Guess it will be a week shorter - but with more pictures of birds!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

I just bought a 700D :(.
Are these direct upgrades to the T5i series or are they a seperate line?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I can definitely echo the sentiment that manual focusing can be better than AF in certain situations if you have a good aid. The big viewfinder on the 5D is a nice consolation for the super basic AF, but manual focusing aids were a big reason I have a mirrorless camera now. Focus peaking + instant 2x digital zoom take a lot of the guesswork out of getring critical focus, even on fast moving subjects. I use a lot of adapted canon lenses on my a6000; they have full metering and aperture control but are effectively MF only. Still works great with those features.

But yeah, I don't get why I can't have something like the split image focusing from an old Minolta XD-7 slr on my 5Dii (or eye focus AF from the EOS 3). Feels like a step backwards.

Magic Lantern has all this. Especially the focus peaking is a gift from heaven, I never enjoyed manual focus before I installed it and now it is so easy to do that I often forget to switch AF back on.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The 600/650/700D are also pretty decent if you can find a good deal for a used body. You might also want to invest in a tripod, especially if you want to do some nature photography.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rolleyes posted:

Serious and not-intended-to-be-trolling question: if you don't have a DSLR and are thinking of getting one, be it crop or full frame, is there anything to recommend Canon over Nikon?

A friend was asking me this about my Canon and apart from the fact I'm now familiar with the Canon ergonomics and layout (a non-issue for someone new) I'm kinda struggling. All the stats (noise, low light performance, dynamic range) seem to point to Nikon.

Magic Lantern could be a reason, depends on which model you are going to buy and what you are planning to shoot.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
gently caress that's a great price for that lens. I paid ~160 when I got mine. I'm really happy with it, the Af is fast and accurate and the pictures are really sharp.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

windex posted:

Also, $400 doesn't even buy a half decent prime that isn't a nifty fifty.

Don't diss the 85/1.8 :mad:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Nope, mine is super smooth. Are there any scratches on the plastic? Maybe there is some sand in there.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Unfortunately, no :(

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

windex posted:

1) I mostly shoot with either center focus or manual on the M3, but it has focus peaking. The AF on the 6D blows everywhere but the center and the 5D mark III and 5DS R has no officially replaceable focusing screen which would help mitigate the lack of focus peaking.

I can't really help you with the rest but this can be fixed easily with Magic Lantern.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just switched out my old Nifty Fifty for the new STM version. I'm not sure if there is really any difference in image quality but holy poo poo it feels so much better. And the AF works without any hunting (and without anouncing my presence to anything with ears in a 5 mile radius). It's also nice to have a wider focus ring.

Has anyone else here done the upgrade? Opinions?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It is really an amazing lens for that price. Make sure you get the STM version though, the older model is not nearly as good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ryand-Smith posted:

So the 40D I bought from a goon (thanks by the way, great camera,) is starting to have issues, (The tokina lens broke and I got it fixed), and I might as well upgrade. So because full frame would mean tossing out half of my lenses, I'm looking for a modern replacement for my 40D, What's the current replacement for the 40D looking like.

70D or 7D(2) if you are really into sports photography.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What do you want to know? I use it a bunch on my T5i.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rolleyes posted:

Well that's kinda cool, I never really thought about how all this might impact on sensor noise but what you say makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I'll end my lens-maths derail now - sorry for cluttering up the thread.

Thanks for bringing it up, really interesting stuff I didn't know about!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

astr0man posted:

So how about those 80D specs

Are they really using the same sensor as in the 750/760D? The AF looks good but overall it seems to be a bit uninspired, especially when you compare it to the 760D.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Djimi posted:

Hello I am in Paris for 3 days -- I took the channel tunnel from England and will head back there to London on Saturday the 20th. I checked my large Tamrac explorer at the London hotel's bell services because I only use it when traveling on plane flights, then I transfer my gear into a small Lowe pro bag while taking photos. Well I totally screwed up :doh: –– I left my battery charger for my LP– E6s for my 5DIII in it. I have two batteries but one is drained and the other at half.

I am staying about five minutes walking away from the Louvre. Anyone know of a store that would allow me to charge a battery nearby or any Goons that I can trade a battery for one that's charged? This once-in-a-lifetime trip and I'm only going to be able to take a few more photos.
:ohdear:

Can't you just google for a photo store nearby? The could probably help you (for a few bucks). Or at least they could sell you a new charger.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
How are Canon's point and shoot cameras doing? That seems more like a segment where it is important to reach a younger audience.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Laserface posted:

what about the canon 60mm macro? I was thinking of that for a macro that I can use for other stuff.

My father uses that one on a 70D. I would recommend it, great image quality and the AF works really well.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What are the holes for? Some kind of mount? Or are those speed holes??

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Do you want to stay with the Canon system? You can get a great mirrorless camera + a few lenses for 2k and they will be MUCH smaller which is really nice for traveling.

If you want to stay with Canon you really should upgrade your body. The 80D is really nice (or a use 70D). The Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 is a nice and very affordable upgrade to your kit lens that is great for traveling. The 24mm and 40mm 2.8 pancakes are really cheap and extremely sharp so if you like those focal lengths you can't go wrong with either of them. And they are really small and light which is always nice when you're running around all day. If you need a tele lens you can also grab the 55-250mm STM. It's really cheap, sharp, the AF is really fast and the image stabilization works pretty well.

I switched to mirrorless (Olympus E-M10) from Canon (T5i/70D) and I couldn't be happier. I think it would be the right decision for you if you don't mind selling your stuff. If you don't mind hunting around on Ebay/Craigslist/etc for a bit you can get a great setup for under 1k (used E-M10, a few primes and a 40-150 mm tele). If you're willing to go up to ~2k you can get an E-M5 II (or any camera in that price range), Oly 12-40mm 2.8, 40-150mm and another prime lens with a few bucks to spare for extra batteries etc.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Bubbacub posted:

Has anyone tried the M5? I'm interested in a more compact body for hiking and macro work, but it's kinda pricey.

For the price of the M5 you could get a M43 body and a few lenses that will be absolutely tiny compared to what Canon offers.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You should also consider bringing a monopod. Easy to carry around and they help a lot if you are trying to shoot at night or with lovely light.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

xzzy posted:

I did race panning with a 500d for years, definitely need a lot of exposures to get keepers but it's not slit your wrists bad.

By far the best perk upgrading is low light performance.

I started out with a 500D too. Got a ton of great pictures with it but the low light performance was absolute garbage. At least it could run Magic Lantern, that added a ton of QOF features.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Superzooms like that usually have terrible image quality. Grab the 55-250mm STM if you want more range, you should be able to find it super cheap used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm going cheap'n easy for now until I've got some experience. Buying lenses is out of the question, I've seen some prices and I've got a wedding to pay for in 3 weeks.
I will not be taking my own wedding pictures.

I'm not super worried about good/bad pictures. That's all learning curve stuff. Most of my subjects will be inconsequential and I"m not at all interested in trying to side-hustle this.

I appreciate that feedback. Now I've got to go learn a bunch of poo poo before it arrives (6/1). These new acronyms are beating me up already.

Well, looks like the Rebel T6 is also the D3000. The more you know...
Correction: 1300D, not D3000. :downs:

vvvvvThanks!vvvvvv

Canon is a pretty good system to start out in because you can get some pretty decent used starter lenses for almost nothing. The 55-250mm STM is amazing if you need some range and you can find it for a little over $100.

Enjoy your camera and just shoot, shoot, shoot!