Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Is the 60d seriously that inferior to the 50d? I was looking to upgrade from my T1i (which at this case even a Holga would be an upgrade). What are the advertised "advantages" that could outweigh all of this on the 60d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
I mean, the only way to make each picture consistent is to shoot full manual mode. The meter on my camera always tells me to overexpose by literally four or five stops. It could be that your camera is doing the same thing and wants all the pictures to be taken really underexposed. That being said, the easiest way to learn how ISO affects what and when to change it is just to take pictures of the same thing or roughly the same thing, changing the settings, and comparing the two. If you're shooting a 1dx, then the ISO performance is going to be pretty outstanding as compared to my lovely little T1i, so you can push it probably pretty considerably. From the settings that it shows, it seems like the lighting conditions were fairly good. But (take this with a grain of salt, I have never shot birds or wildlife), it seems to me like you could have shot with a little faster shutter speed and come out with a brighter picture, because it doesn't seem that the bird is going to take flight any time soon.

But don't worry about not knowing everything about your camera. It took my months to learn everything about one of the smallest functionality wise camera

Boneitis fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2013

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Hey, I was wondering how the Tamron 17-50 2.8 ranks against the Sigma 17-50 2.8. I am selling my T1i to buy a 7d, and have to include my kit lens, but I wanted to know which one I should upgrade to

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i. Is there enough of a difference where it would be worth upgrading while I'm still able to do so, or is it all close enough that I shouldn't be so picky and I can take care of the noise through other means anyways? Being new to better cameras, I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm fine with throwing more money at it.

Upgrading from a Rebel to another Rebel is kind of tedious, as (correct me if I am wrong) all of them with the exception of the T1i have really similar sensors. I would save your money and buy a pre-owned 7d or 60d in a few months after they market is flooded with people trying to afford the (rumoured to be expensive as poo poo) 7d mk II, or the (seeing how far they can drown the line) 70d, respectively

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Pulled the trigger on a 40mm 2.8 through eBay a few days ago, and holy poo poo was I impressed. I can see why everyone says that everyone else needs one. Seriously tack sharp, a far cry from the kit lens that I was using. One thing that is hard to get used to, however, is the STM. Even though the auto focus is fast and accurate for the most part, the AF Points on my T1i are mainly useless save for the center point. That means that I rely on the manual focus for the most part while shooting still life. The manual focus is pretty annoying on this lens. There is a small lag between the turning of the ring and the actual movement of the focus. I could get used to it, but it being a smaller focal length with a wider depth of field makes it hard to actually see if the subject is in focus.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Yeah, I read about that somewhere but I haven't actually ever tried it. I think that I saw it on Stumble Upon, but never thought twice about it. The guy said that it changed his life, so I'll have to try it

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, but even at f/8 it's kinda lovely compared to the canon. Half the price though.

I've been wondering about something like this. Does stopping down the aperture improve the image quality over lovely optics and lenses? Like, will a top of the line Canon lens that is shooting at 2.8 always be better than a knock-off lens that costs a tenth as much shooting at 22?

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Are all videos from Japan this insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Why are you still shooting Canon? The Canon Thread