Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Everybody get the 40mm pancake.
This is an important message that belongs on page 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

HookShot posted:

I have well and truly considered this option, and while I know she would be ok with it, I also know that whatever camera I buy her she will use for like 20 years (or until I next buy her a camera) so I might as well get her a nice one first.

In that case get the one that's not made of plastic.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

The OP has nothing about the TS-E lenses. I might make some words and sentences about it if I have time.

"the TS-E 24II is the perfect starter lens for anyone getting into DSLR photography, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any novice."

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

loving called it.
Fortunately its a pretty great lens.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

saw a 100d in a store today, things pretty loving small. With a pancake it would kinda own.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

BeanTaco posted:

Everybody get the 40mm pancake.
This is an important message that belongs on page 1.

What is wrong with you people why would you recommend the 50 over the 40.
Yeah maybe its a little better for portraiture but in general the 40mm will behave at least comparably well if not better while also being a massive leap ahead in that it turns your camera into something you actually want to carry around all the time.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Clearly you should be getting the TS-E 24/3.5 LII

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Bob Mundon posted:

How would the 85 1.8 perform with a teleconverter on a crop sensor? Thinking down the road I'll want something better than my 55-250 for zoom purposes, but at the same time would like something with faster shutter speeds than something like a Tamron 70-300. Would think the 85 1.8 would make a great lens on it's own, but didn't know if it would not be worth using a teleconverter for the extra reach on a crop body.

Of course there's always the solution of getting the 85 1.8 AND the 70-300.

get the 70-300 it owns hard.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

I didn't realize at all that we were talking about the tamron.
I'm sure the tamron is fine but the canon has an autofocus that is pretty insanely fast, I use it for birds and it does a good job.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

I'm looking at it now and yeah you seem to be right.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

canon 10-22 looks fun but expensive.
Which of the third part lenses around this bracket are good, or is it worth biting the bullet and getting the canon?
edit: this is for a 7d btw

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

UGAmazing posted:

I've been thinking about selling my Tamron 10-24mm (because I need the cash--not because I don't love it). If you're interested, let me know and maybe we can work something out. I'll probably post photos of it tonight (with my username and all that). No box, but it has both caps and original printed documentation.

Seeing as I live in New Zealand, that is probably going to be more effort than it's worth. Thanks for the offer though!

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

5D OG

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Graniteman posted:

I rented on this past weekend as well to compare to my 7D. Great camera except the autofocus is a disaster compared to my 7D. Tried to shoot birds in flight and it was almost impossible. Indoors, or for landscape shots it was perfectly fine. I shoot a lot of birds though so it convinced me to spring for the 5D3.

Oh and I did like the controls layout just fine. Buttons on the right is no big deal. I may even prefer it.

I shoot birds with my 7D and use almost exclusively the centre point which is the same type as that on the 6D :shrug:

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Well you're tracking the bird with it in the centre of the frame right? Unless you're taking pictures of something like swallows (in which case using all the points probably won't help much either) then it really shouldn't be a problem.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Graniteman posted:

I use a 100-400 and I must not have the skills. I start zoomed out to 100 to acquire focus / find the bird as it flies by, then snap zoom in to track it through the shot I want to take.

I'm really tempted to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Basically. Their support for Crop lenses is crap.

make a 22mm pancake for my 7D you pack of jerks.