Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crossposting from the first DLSR thread

I'm learning about photography as a hobby and I'm looking at getting my first DLSR. My film school friend who owns a bunch of expensive lenses and cameras told me I should look at something like this as a starting point:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Canon-1200D-Twin-Lens-Kit-18-55mm-75-300mm-1200DTKB-/111703010247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1a0204abc7

I like taking photos but all I have is my phone and phones are poo poo. I've messed around with his 70d in auto mode and taken some nice shots (nothing I can share because they are of people), but I'd like to get my own. I'd be taking a lot of shots while bushwalking and off my car primarily I guess, I'm not looking for specific professional needs because thats not how I'm going to be using it. Is he right in that this is a good starting point?

Apart from a bag and an SD card, theres nothing else extra I need to buy is there?

E: Examples of the type of stuff I'm shooting, taken with my phone.

I thought I did ok for a phone but I want to take quality shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I should avoid it? What else should i look at?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess I'll have a look and find Australian places to buy second hand cameras. I kinda liked that deal though in that it came with those 2 lenses and everything was new

How are the controls harder to use by the way? And what do I look for when buying second hand?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty wary about buying second hand, I'd prefer to get new :/

E: Pretty sure that 40d sold already

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 9, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess as well I'm having trouble seeing how the 1200d can be so bad that I'm better off buying a 40d, which is several generations old if I understand it right (50, 60, 70). Surely a 40d would have been used enough that the shutter would be prone to failure?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The reason I'm so hesitant about buying a used body is that I know really nothing about what to look for etc. I'm into cars and I've grown up with a dad who taught me a bit about them and I've seen how shady used cars are.

Is there like a list or a guide or something that I should do when buying a second hand camera? You guys say most people treat them well and I believe that seeing as its a niche hobby and not something like cars where a lot of people just don't give a poo poo, but knowing my luck I'll get the single camera in Australia that got dropped 100m into a river that somehow worked enough that me not knowing anything and taking a few pictures in a coffee shop wouldn't notice a problem until it was too late.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/calamvale/digital-slr/dslr-camera-canon-eos-600d-18-55-is-ii-single-lens-kit-/1083813415

Found this while in a waiting room with a quick search but that's a good option right? Looks like it comes with the kit lense, do I need the Tamron one you guys talk about? I'll do more looking tonight probably. What are the specs on the Tamron?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
All used dslrs bar one advertised in Brisbane have been sold already and were owned by angry Asian women who blame you for calling to ask about the ad they haven't taken down. Why is this so hard I just wanna throw my money at people and they won't take it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I got a 600d yesterday and played around with it a bit today. I'm very impressed with it, although I'm a little disappointed in how little zoom the kit lens has. I can see myself getting a zoom lens in the future but for now I guess I'll play around with the EFS lenses my mate has. Decently cheaper than a new 1200d would have been and I've learned that apparently the 1XXXd range has a shutter rated for ~half the shots the XXXD series has. It belonged to a highschool student who bought it new 8 months ago because he was going to Japan with his family, and was going to do film and tv at school, but dropped out of it so it was barely used.

What software do I download so I can convert CR2s to a usable format until I can sort out stealing my friends lightroom? The CD that came with the camera has no software on it, just PDFs.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 18, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I went on canons site, clicked on the downloads thing, it downloaded a downloader than told me to plug the camera in and then it downloaded some viewer thing that says it can't edit raws. Thanks canon?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, with tripods, as cheap as possible that doesn't look like its going to fall to bits 2 days from now is ok right?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I don't really see the point in getting the $500 tripod I found when I was looking at prices, but cheap ones look to be around 30-40 which sounds reasonable enough to me.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I want spare batteries for my 600d do I just buy canon ones or is there a better option.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'll check them out. I've realised I'm going to need quite a few to get through a week out bush. A zoom lens wouldn't hurt either but that's for when I have money.

E: Can I use either stirlingtek or wasabi batteries on the oem charger or will I need to buy theirs?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Seamonster posted:

Be aware that some newer Canon firmwares have been locking out third party batteries. loving assholes.

Wow what cunts.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TheAngryDrunk posted:

They still work, but they don't communicate with the battery meter.

I suppose I can deal with that. I'm not big on video and I doubt I'll be doing much long exposure that the chance of my camera shutting down mid exposure is low. My only worry is having enough of them to last me around 10 days worth of camping really.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there any reason to not pick up the stm version of canons 55-250? Even new it seems like a good deal at $200

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yep that was my thinking. Glad I don't have to drop big bucks on something I'm not sure how much I'll use. I wasn't going to pay $200 cause I saw 2 for 130 a few days ago that already sold. I'll see about getting a refurb in Australia.

E: might just be mobile, can't find refurbished lenses, but they want $430 for a new one, nope canon.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 7, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm in Brisbane, where you at? I'm looking at one elsewhere for 80 but he's not gunna be able to sell it until Friday.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This other guy is in North Brisbane so I might see what he does and get back to you Friday or Saturday? Just cause he's nice and convenient.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why are 5ds worth so much more than 6ds? Does the naming convetion of bigger number = newer not work on the Xd range?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm not looking at buying one, I just walked past the camera section to look at computer mice at a store to make sure they weren't horrible, and say that they had a "5d", no mention of mark, for 3500, and a 6d for 2000. gently caress buying those new.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

800peepee51doodoo posted:

What store was that? Current pricing for those is waaaaaaaay less, like a thousand dollars less for the 5d mark iii at b&h and adorama. Still expensive but not that expensive.

One of those department electronic stores in Australia.

This is the country where your $150 lens is $450 even though our dollar is pretty close

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there really such thing as an actual optically good superzoom lens? I assume I'd be an L-series, but which one?

... I'd be interested in something that could allow me to take a single camera and lens along on hiking & camping trips, that could handle landscape and bird/wildlife duty without needing to change lenses. It's just that I end up becoming very critical of final image quality and peep pixels a lot on my own stuff.

imo leave your 400L on cause birds an animals arent likely to stick around and there probably arent many landscape shots that won't still be there in the minute it takes to swap lenses.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is my 55-250 stm supposed to feel grindy as I zoom? I kinda noticed it when I bought it but it keeps getting worse. It kinda feels like dust is caught between the extending barrel and the outer housing.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Popelmon posted:

Nope, mine is super smooth. Are there any scratches on the plastic? Maybe there is some sand in there.

I think there might be. Any idea how to get rid of it?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I had a really close look at it, there appears to be a foam/rubber type seal, that doesn't go the whole way around.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I guess with the huge megapixel counts that are becoming the norm that's a sensible evolution. What's the proportion of surface area that aps-c takes up on a full frame sensor? A little more than 1/3rd? So aps-c crop mode on a 5DS would theoretically be pretty close to the resolution of the original 7D. And I guess it would be possible for AF in crop mode to be faster since there would be less data to process, as long as they can make an AF system that 'crops' itself, too. Seems like an awful lot of R&D expense to create something that messes with their carefully balanced feature segmentation scheme, but I guess they already did it once when they merged the 1D series.

I don't get why, with the massive pixel count, you couldn't just shoot normal full frame and crop down in post to what you would have had with an APSC. This is instead of having the system you described

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

astr0man posted:

Like timrenzi574 mentioned, the benefit of having it done in camera is that you could in theory shoot at higher burst rates and be able to fit more frames in your buffer when you are in one of the crop modes since the raw images would be smaller (but the 5ds/r doesn't do this). But yeah the end result is still the same as just cropping in post.

Having a bigger buffer for longer bursts makes sense, I didn't even think about that. This is actually sounding like a smart move by canon, unifying the brand makes it a lot easier to sell.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Alpenglow posted:

Every west coast well-off white person over 60 who drives a Subaru/Prius has a 7D to take pictures of birds, and a lot probably now have a 7D2. That and a 100-400 or 300/4 or the like.

This makes me feel like I'm supposed to be old, I own a Subaru and the majority of my photos are of birds

Mum asked me what i want for christmas, she said she'll give me something up to $150 AUD, I was thinking of asking for a flash if I can get a good one for around that. I also saw canons 50m 1.8 STM. Is it possible to get a good flash in that pricerange/any recomendations, and is the 50mm stm a good choice?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DaveSauce posted:

I'm in the market for an entry level telephoto zoom lens for a T5i. Last I heard the EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM was the bees knees for the price point.

Canon Price Watch shows that as a "deactivated" part number on Canon's site. Does that mean it's obsolete? I can still find it new and refurbished on Canon's site, so I'm confused.

So that said, is this still a good option? Or is there a replacement that's better/cheaper?

I own this exact lens, got it grey import from Hong Kong cause it was $400 AUD otherwise, and I love it. It gives about as much reach as a 400L on a full frame, for way less cost. I find it excellent for bird shots, however, for some of the more skittish species, it's not enough.

Magpie headshot by me, on Flickr

Open that fully, thats at 250mm f/5.6 (wide open at 250). It's a nice lens. Don't mind the beak being blurry, I focused on his eye and thats just the range of the depth of field at 250mm/f5.6. If you check my flickr out, all of the bird shots are with this lens. I have a t3i but from what I understand, we have identical sensors.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 9, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yes, In terms of light-gathering ability, the aperture is always equivalent regardless of sensor size. f/1.8 on your cell phone gathers as much light as f/1.8 on a full frame camera.

There's no inherent trade off just because a camera is a CSC, all specs being equal.

This is assuming the lenses are the same size right?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

I haven't ben here in a while but, what the gently caress is the wrong with canon's naming structure?

80D? ADD? what?

You are looking way too far into it if you think its anything to do with ADD.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

Don't speak too loudly, you don't want Canon to hear and motivate them to rebrand all their lines under the assumption the boost in sales they need will come from youthful and trendy marketing.

Do you really want a hashtag on your camera body?

THis is how the came up with Rebel isn't it?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are the different expected shuttercounts of the different lines of cameras?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I own the STM and it's a nice lens imo and I definitely think it's a good buy as a cheap entry level tele.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That thing looks awesome but incredibly difficult to use

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the lens

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Probably stolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Helen Highwater posted:

On the plus side, you can probably get a screaming deal on pro-gear if you take a holiday to Rio in the autumn and check out the pawn shops in lovely areas.

Is the zika worth it?