Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

InternetJunky posted:

At the risk of exposing myself to further ridicule for not knowing everything about my 1dx -- is there anything that anyone can think of that would cause the camera to severely underexpose each picture?

I know that you reset the camera to default settings, which should have fixed this, but two things that could cause underexposure and haven’t been mentioned are highlight priority mode and the focus screen setting. The former is under the second shooting menu. The latter is under the fourth custom function menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed?

Yes and yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fivre posted:

Magic Lantern has always looked cool (focus peaking! a faint possibility of recording live drums without clipping all to hell!) but I figured it'd be a massive UI pain.

All of its stuff is in its own menu—which is kind of crowded, but not too bad once you get used to it. It has the nifty feature that pressing the Info button will take you to the ML manual page for that function so you can learn what each option does.

The only problem I have with it is that it makes my camera take longer to wake from sleep mode. The delay isn’t horrible, mind you, but it’s definitely noticeable. I’d compare a 5D2 with Magic Lantern to a 20D, in terms of wake‐up speed. Earlier versions of ML didn’t have this issue, so I remain hopeful that it will be rectified in the future.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Headhunter posted:

Is it worth installing even if I literally never touch the video option on my camera? 650D if that matters.

I rarely touch the video option on my camera, and I still use it for >30 s exposures, exposure/focus bracketing, an intervalometer features. I find a few of its UI tweaks handy as well.

It runs off the card, so if you don’t use those features often, you can put it on only one card if you wish. I should really do that with mine to avoid the wake‐up delay when I don’t need those features.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evilmonkeh posted:

It's not strictly an alternative firmware as it co-exists with the original firmware. The only modification it makes to the camera is to change a setting (the 'bootflag') that causes the camera to execute code stored in a file on the memory card (autoexec.bin). The ML software then hooks into the camera's boot process and launches its own code.

I know that, but the distinction is esoteric. It only really matters to the developers, and, I suppose, to people who know enough about firmware to worry about “bricking”, which in ML’s case is mostly unfounded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Waarg posted:

Ok, I've narrowed it down to either 24-105 or 100 2.8 macro and 40 2.8. To go with my 550d and 50 1.8. Anyone have a strong opinion either way??

edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be buying all of these second hand which makes them fairly equivalent price-wise.

The 40 mm pancake and 50 f/1.8 are kind of redundant. I have the 50 f/1.4 and the pancake, and often I basically toss a coin when choosing which one to bring. This is on full‐frame, though. On 1.6× I’d use the 50 mm as a portrait lens, and I’d want something wider for a walkaround.

I have the 24–105 and it’s fine, but I wouldn’t buy it again in a world in which the Tamron 24–70 VC exists. Unfortunately, Tamron’s lens is far too new to find used.

You should pick up a 100 mm macro either way eventually because it’s fantastic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You need a joystick so you can zoom in and scroll around your test chart images, obviously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Going to Europe for 3 weeks. Going to rent a 24-105mm Canon L series for 200 bucks for a month. Any reason not to do that and just buy the thing refurbished from BH or somebody for 899?

I obviously have a t3i. I can pretty much rent whatever, or I could just stick with my kit 18-55 and my 55-250mm efs zoom and just relax about my lenses.

If you plan to use it at least three and a half more times?

Personally, though, I think 24–105 is a crummy range on a 1.6× camera. I’d rent a 10–22.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Got my 5DIII/70-200 today. Came with a center-pinch cap :smug:

Centre‐pinch caps are lame. Side release is fine except on a few telephotos with long hoods, and the centre‐pinch caps are like three times as thick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

somnambulist posted:

how do you disable the bootloader?

It’s under the firmware upgrade menu option, if I remember correctly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I assume there's no noise benefit to using ISO 50 on a 5D III, considering Canon has it disabled by default?

In RAW, it’s exactly the same as overexposing ISO 100 by one stop.

e:f;b

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fivre posted:

Is this the same for the HI ISO options?

Yes, and on the 5D Mark II it’s true of ISO 6400, even though it’s not labelled as HI ISO.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the_lion posted:

I knew there'd be something. That shouldn't be a big deal, I don't often shoot with the sun in shot. Thanks dude!

Hoods don’t help when the sun is in the shot—they help when it’s out of the shot, but still close enough to hit the front element.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seamonster posted:

Actually, the T3 with its "bigger" pixels should theoretically have a better diffraction limited aperture than any of the other 18mp APS-C sensors. Landscape shooters rejoice?

For the same display size, it doesn’t matter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ManiacMatt posted:

Somebody tell me this is a scam. It just seems way to good to be true.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130919459474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Directing you to purchase on an outside site? Zero feedback?

Yeah, it’s a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seamonster posted:

Eye ess oh

strange, but I just realized I say the same thing when referring to disc images as eye-soh...

They both come from the same root, the initials of the International Organization for Standardization, so yes, that is odd.

What about PNG? I can’t decide if it’s “ping” or “pong”. “Pang” is definitely out.