Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

guy I work for has the 50 1.2L but only uses it for work. He'll use the work bodies with the 85 1.8 and the 50 1.8 for his family pics and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

Sorry, knew I forgot something!

I'm on a 5D classic, so full frame.

Edit: Wouldn't the 85mm require a fair bit of space to get a full body portrait even on a full frame? Or would you not use it for that situation.
It would require some distance to get a full body shot with the 85mm on FF, especially while maintaining a parallel or near parallel focal plane.

Shooting lots of fashion on full frame I find myself using a 50mm lens most of the time. When I want to minimize backgrounds or don't have to shoot full body, I jump right to 100mm but only because my 85mm is manual focus and mostly reserved for still life cause I don't have a focus confirm chip on that thing.

So the 85mm would likely be a good choice for you, unless you wanted to take a strong departure from your shooting style - I am assuming large spanning backgrounds aren't very important to your portraits and fashion images.