Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

CrushedWill posted:

I've not dicked aroud with LR that much as I don't own it. I have a feeling I am stuck or somewhat limited in my thinking in that I have always had certain inefficient ways of handling workflow. I'll try LR out and see if I can get over my bad habits.

I hink the beta for LR5 is still active, may want to start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

So, today, I bit the bullet and bought a better than decent lens. After reading a ton at different sites, and weighing my finances, I bought the new Tamron 70-200 vc. I think I could bludgeon someone to death with it. that said, the AF speed beats the crap out of the 70-300 Canon I replaced with it, quieter too. I still need to import the few pics I took today to go pixel peeping (yeah, I fall into that crap sometimes) but so far I'm not upset. The other option in my price range was the canon 2.8L non IS, and as much as I'd like the white casing, everything I've read says this lens matches for image quality.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

I used to work as tech support for HP.

I will never buy one because they terribly built and support staff have their hands tied so it is almost impossible to offer good service.

How is the image quality? I got the 70-200 non-IS 2.8. Things ways a ton but takes superb photos. Takes a while to focus but on my 60D it hasn't missed focus after it found it. On my Rebel it did a few times. Great image quality regardless.

Well, I'd tell you, but I've only taken a handful of shots, and I haven't imported them yet. I'm planning on giving it a run for it's money the weekend of June 14th. I'm goign to watch the Indy race in Milwaukee, complete with Pit pass, compliments of a friend. I'll post between if i do anything else with it.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

How is the image quality? I got the 70-200 non-IS 2.8. Things ways a ton but takes superb photos. Takes a while to focus but on my 60D it hasn't missed focus after it found it. On my Rebel it did a few times. Great image quality regardless.

I wound up snapping some random shots. No sharpening (or cropping because im lazy) in post.

IMG_7032

IMG_7061

IMG_7063

IMG_7088
Takes good cat pics too.

IMG_7110

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Help me rebuild my setup. So I have the dubious pleasure of trying to replace all my gear. Last night SOmeone broke into my car, grabbed my camera bag, and left with it. I had a gripped 60D, tamron 28-75, tamron 70-200 vc (just bought the drat thing), a 50 1.8,and a yongnuo flash, all in a Crumpler 6 million dollar home. It looks like I will get around 1750 from my insurance. Any advice on how I should go to build up either something similar, or a different way to go? I had thought about maybe moving to a 6D and just a 50 1.8, or backing up a generation and getting a refurb T2/3i and a quality mid range zoom, I also see used 7D's for under 1k on KEH. as far as input from me, I used the 28-75 most often of all 3 lenses (the 70-200 was an updgrade to replace another lens, use specifically to photograph roller derby).

e; I could probably add about 250 to it

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 15, 2013

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

deaders posted:

I am weighing up the options for a standard zoom to use on my 5d ii. The only other lenses I have for this camera are the 50mm 1.8 and 100mm f2 (love this btw, highly recommended).

Looking at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for around $380 or the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC for around $900.

Anyone used both? Sigma 24-70 is not an option because apparently the IQ sucks and I don't want to spend $2k on the Canon.

Apparently the 28-75 is crazy good value as long as you don't get a soft copy. And it would be nice to use that extra $500 for some other gear (would like to get some lighting equipment - stands, umbrellas etc and another flash).

Not sure if it will help your decision any, but I have the 28-75 (on a 60D) and I use it a lot. Hopefully the links work, it's the first time I've tried linking directly.

https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/390d6ac8a61bcdfa34d812cb0ca900b5/1600T
https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/9b98d96e7cc0a6965bc237edddf2fd22/1600T
https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/75768427e42cccb30328ac693876dc93/1600T

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

So, considering how to spend my refund. I have a 7D, tamron 70-200 2.8 vc and 28-75 2.8. I'm considering the following: a refurb 6D, used 5dmkII both of wich i think the wide end of the 28-75 would be wide enough for close space indoor. Or buying an ultrawide zoom (tokina 16-28 2.8, tamron 17-50 non-vc, or getting really greedy, and grabbing a used 16-35L mkI) I really don't lean towards a particular subject, so I'm trying to have general purpose kit. The reason I'm aiming for faster lenses is that I semi-regularly do indoor architecture, and some places don't allow tripods or flash. Can you guide me goons?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 17-50 is a great lens, but it kinda overlaps your 28-75. Along with the wide-zoom lenses, you might also consider the Samyang 14/2.8. It is manual focus and manual aperture on EOS, but it's sharp and cheap. Manual focus is not really a big problem with ultrawides.

That's why I was considering the Tokina. The issue with that one is that it has a spherical front element that I can't put a filter over without a pricey adapter. Any of these options is in my price range, so any will work. Would 28mm be wide enough on a full frame, or is my assumption there wrong?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Haggins posted:

28-75 is kind of a crappy range for a crop camera. It's not wide at all and the extra reach is not a big deal. I'd suggest getting some kind of ultra wide like a Sigma 8-16 (which I use and love).

I actually find that It's the lens I turn to most often. The ultimate endgame is that I intend to get a full frame at some point in the (relatively) near future, and would like to have my bases covered. 8-16 doesn't sound bad, but how is it going to perform indoors without a flash and no tripod?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Shellman posted:

Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, now you don't need a flash or a tripod. (Full frame :getout:)

And it's even reasonably close in price to the tokina. Are there image samples anywhere?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

You guys have been helpful over the last year or so as I've upgraded my gear. I feel like I haven't lived up to my end of the bargain. Therefore, here are some pictures of cattes.Canon 6D Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC

IMG_1297
IMG_1301

and 70-200 VC

IMG_1321
IMG_1297

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

That is the general consensus from what I've seen. Sigma < Canon Mk1 < Tamron VC < Canon Mk2

I like the Tamron a lot.

100% jpg no edits. My hosting

6D

http://www.jasonwrigley.com/img/s10/v102/p442549936.jpg

7D

http://www.jasonwrigley.com/img/s10/v102/p425675994.jpg

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

See if you can find a busted canon p&s on eBay or craigslist and Google canon loyalty program. You can get up to 20% off a refurb with the full warranty. I got my 6d for $1340.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

d0s posted:

Whoa, that's nuts, apparently it doesn't even need to be broken now. I wish I hadn't sold my powershot G5 a few years ago.

It never needed to be, but it's cheaper if you don't already have one.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

You can get a used Canon 70-200L IS II for a little over what the Tamron costs new and the Canon will be better + hold its value. If you've got the money, I think that's the way to go. That said, a used Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC is almost half what they cost new and seems like a very good lens.

Where are you seeing this as a comparable price? The lowest I see on ebay it $400 more than the Tamron. Close to that on Amazon and Adorama. I guess I wouldn't consider 30% higher cost "a little over"

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

So, like 10-12% more. Not sure what you guys are seeing :shrug: If there's a Tamron for $1100 new somewhere, I'd say that's a great deal and go for that.

Already did. I got it for $975 on some sale a shortly after it came out. I got lucky I guess.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

I sold off some useless crap, and a second body I never use. Funds will be going to an ultra wide zoom. I can afford the following, anyone care to recommend, I couldn't find info on them all at DxO, or DPReview?

Used Tamron 15-30 Di VC (heaviest, largest)
New Tokina 16-28 (cheapest)
Used Canon 17-35mm f2.8 L (oldest)
Used Canon 16-35 2.8 L

Thanks

e. Wrong Tokina lens.

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 13, 2016

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Shellman posted:

I was gonna say the Canon 16-35, but then I realized that you might not be buying for a full frame? Pretty sure that Tokina is for crop bodies. In which case, 16/17 mm doesn't get you a ton more on the wide end than a kit lens...

Should have put that in there. I have a 6D it'll be going on, so, full frame.

e. Also, it was the wrong Tokina

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2016

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

According to our friends at dxomark the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM gets a better sharpness score than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM. In their graph it's a bit soft at f2.8 but they're probably the same at f4...

Or just get a canon 11-24

The 11-24 and 16-35L I are out of my price range.

KinkyJohn posted:

According to our friends at dxomark the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM gets a better sharpness score than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM. In their graph it's a bit soft at f2.8 but they're probably the same at f4...

Or just get a canon 11-24

My only concern with the f4 is whether it will be ok indoors shooting crowds in low light, otherwise that would probably be my choice.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

New thread title is nice, but it makes me feel bad for wanting one to carry in my pocket.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Not just any clown, an eos m clown

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

So, to follow up on this. I wound up going with the Tamron 15-30, because I wanted the extra stop indoors (I know, I have a6d, and it's only one stop).

Turns out the 3rd party seller on amazon was in Canada. So now I'm stuck with a conundrum. Return the grey market lens because the description didn't state it was coming from outside the US (all shipping fees were listed as domestic) or risk something going wrong, and being rear end out, because Tamron USA won't service grey market products. The seller DID provide a 3rd party warranty, but the research I did on them says they take forever to fulfill claims.

Opinions?

timrenzi574 posted:

Well, you'd have to try shooting at f4 in your usual conditions with another lens and see if you can deal with it or not. @2.8 you will still have a good amount of DOF for like a posed group shot, but maybe not so much for a dispersed crowd shot (depending on your output size of course, and what you actually want covered in there)

Lot of variables to take into consideration for your needs

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

L lenses are nice and all but Sigma and Tamron stepping up their high end game presents some nice alternatives with your full frame setup.

Seriously. The art lenses are basically on par or better IQ . The latest from Tamron (24-70, 15-30, 70-200) are basically the last gen L IQ. and around $1000 less. The downside is the lenses are larger, including front optics, so bigger filters (or none for the 15-32). I'm not a pro, but I'm competent, and the vast majority of these were taken with Tamron lenses

http://www.jasonwrigley.com/

Sorry for the terrible hobbyist site.

If this works, it's probably one of my recent favorite.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

I'm considering setting up a home studio in an unused room. I've been looking at digibee, but I guess there's a clone that's gotten decent reveries. Has anyone here heard anything about them, or the company? Alternately, I could do a single light setup with an Einstein.

https://interfitphotographic.com/home/honey-badger/

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

I didn't have my peak design camera clip locked this weekend while shooting a wedding. As a result my grey market Tamron 15-30 took a spill. I understand Tamron USA won't touch grey market lenses, is there a 3rd party that might that anyone could recommend? T
It focuses fine, but the zoom ring is now stuff, and I can't tell if the VC is working.

Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

I have the g1 Tamron. It take food pics. The IS is helpful, my only complaint is that the rubber grip ok the zoom ring has stretched out and is a bit loose.

A few shots from my crappy website

Sorry if they're huge, posting from the app.