Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Reset the camera settings, put it in green box auto mode and try another shot.

If that doesn't work, can I have it? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The rebel does also have the advantage of being smaller and lighter than the 60D or 7D. So maybe she'll be more inclined to take it along wherever she goes outside.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

CrushedWill posted:

I'd like to do portrait work, some macro work, and maybe even some landscape stuff, and everything I've read says that full frame is the way to go.

"Full frame" is for noobs. Get a digital medium format Phase One camera, the real full frame. :smug:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

casa de mi padre posted:

My only goal in photography is to trick people into giving me enough money that I can buy one of these and make prints taller than I am.

Photography the noblest of arts.

Just follow Ol' Krockwell's guide to how to afford anything (including a Phase One camera)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Going to Europe for 3 weeks. Going to rent a 24-105mm Canon L series for 200 bucks for a month. Any reason not to do that and just buy the thing refurbished from BH or somebody for 899?

I obviously have a t3i. I can pretty much rent whatever, or I could just stick with my kit 18-55 and my 55-250mm efs zoom and just relax about my lenses.

Buy it used on CL and sell it after your trip.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Spime Wrangler posted:

And a 200-400mm F4L IS 1.4x for a little extra reach

That's too bulky. A 400mm f2.8 prime would bee an ideal walk around lens with good low light performance.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

mclifford82 posted:

I'm pretty set on purchasing the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS to replace my 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM. Is there any reason I should avoid also picking up the 1.4x Extender to go with it? I haven't used one before so any advice in this department is much appreciated. From the chart I linked below it doesn't appear the f/4L IS has any issues with the 1.4x, but I like to make sure beforehand.

And I'm shooting on a 650d. Thanks in advance :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon1_4xExtender.html

I really like the 1.4x with my 70-200 f/4. It turns into a 100-300 f5.6. If you're constantly shooting at 200-300mm on your 70-300 then it will be great! Otherwise you lose a stop at 100-200mm vs without the extender and you lose the 70-100 range. It's kind of a PITA to put on / remove in the field so don't expect to swap it in or out quickly.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Inf posted:

I still remove them for certain kinds of high contrast shots, especially during night photography

Can't you just raise the contrast in post?

Edit: I also have B+W 010 MRC UV filters on all of my lenses and always use my lens hoods. I use a Black Rapid strap so the camera is always dangling off my hip so the 360 degree protection provided by the hood + UV filter combo is really nice. It lets me walk around, explore, and shoot at will without worrying about anything in the environment damaging my lens.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 6, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

xzzy posted:

Strolling tourist areas with my DSLR around my neck gets me lots of those "hey can you take our picture" requests. I guess, even though I have one of the shittiest cameras in Canon's lineup, that carrying around a big camera means I'm trustworthy and/or good at taking pictures?

I always look for another DSLR (is that D.S.L.R. or "dizzler"?) user to take my picture. Seem to get slightly better results that way.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A lens hood on a 10 mm lens must be so short it does gently caress-all.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Canon 100-400L is great for wildlife. And you don't overlap range with your 24-105.

Also consider the 300mm f4 L prime

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 18, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just use the printer and paper until you run out then donate it to goodwill?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I think the 7D can also do center point with AF expansion, where it mostly uses the center point, but if you're off slightly, it will switch to one of the four points bordering it. Helps people like me with bad aim. :shrug:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I think my 7D was bought stolen too. Bought it off a guy on Craigslist. Didn't have a body cap or a charger...

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How can the 6D and 5D3 have the same sensor when they have different megapickles?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Any recommendations for a wide-angle walk-around lens to complement a 24-105L for a Canon 7D? 24mm can be a bit tight on a cropped sensor for interiors. I was thinking the Canon 10-22 but also open to suggestions for third-party lenses as well.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Seamonster posted:

Just go full frame so your 24-105 can become wide enough. I did.

I hate you. According to Craigslist I can score a 6D for $1000 and the 10-22 goes for $400. If I sell my 7D for the average going price of $800 then I'm actually making money in a weird degenerate way...

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
At that point you start making bigger and bigger sensors and wind up with Digital medium format cameras, an even deeper money sink.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
For that money you could just pay a local boy to follow you with a tripod, backpack full of lenses and spare body, and food and water for your group.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm currently using a 6D with 24-105L for most of my photography, which consists of casual vacation / events shots. I'd like to take more pictures and start bringing my camera more when I go out instead of now only for special occasions. I have a RapidStrap for carrying but right now I think the weight and bulk are a major hinderance to carrying it around casually.

Mirrorless is a thought but it's a lot of money to buy a second less capable system, especially if I want a FF mirrorless camera.

What do you guys think about getting a 50mm F1.4? May be able to sneak a new lens past the fiancée but I think she'd notice a new camera out of nowhere.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 5, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

timrenzi574 posted:

Either get the 50/1.8 STM, which isn't really much better (still needs a little stopping down) but costs a fraction of the price, is smaller, and has much better AF, or the 40/2.8 pancake which is even smaller , also a fraction of the price, and is good from the get go.

So the $125 Canon F1.8 STM is BETTER than the $350 F1.4? What a country!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Do you have homeowners / renters insurance?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I got a new job! Horray! Help me spend (waste) money goons! I currently own the following combos:

6D + 24-105L for general shooting, travel and vacation photos, etc. Use it the most frequently.
7D + 100-400L Mk II for airshows 1-2 times per year and wildlife 1-2 times per year. Used less frequently, but more photos taken since DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

A few options to upgrade, which will bring me the most happiness? And over compensate for average skill?

1) 24-105L Mk II. An in-place upgrade of my most-used lens would be nice. Can probably get a decent resale for my old one. Is the new mark significantly better than the older mark?

2) 6D to either 6D Mk II or 5D Mk IV. Use this camera the most. My only complaint is the controls feel a bit plastiky compared to my 7D, especially the smaller rear control wheel, and the autofocus system of course. Mostly shooting stills so meh. Also don't want it to be too heavy if possible.

3) 7D to the 7D Mk II. Better autofocus, fps, and image quality whoo! The 7D is my oldest camera for sure, and there's a chip problem so it shits itself when trying to record video, but I only use it for stills so meh. But not sure if will be using it enough to justify the price. Probably won't get more than a few hundred bucks resale from my Mk I at this point.

4) Just buy a 1DXII and be done with it. Not out of my price range, though would probably have to splurge on some diamonds or poo poo for the fiancee before revealing my purchase. Kinda worried about the size and weight of the thing for traveling though.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Thanks for the suggestions. So long story but... the 7D was my only body for a while until it started crashing when doing long bursts. Brought it to an independent camera repair guy who diagnosed it with a motherboard issue. The repair would have been almost as much as a new refurb body. This was before the 7D Mark II came out so I had to decide between buying another 4 year old 7D or upgrade to full frame with the 6D. Turns out that the old 7D that was supposedly on its last legs is still alive and kicking 2 years later, been through three more air shows without issues. Welp...

Looking at reviews and opinions it seems the 7D II is a better upgrade from the original than the 6D Mk II. There seems to be some controversy over the 6D II's sensor quality?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Does Canon typically offer sales on its refurbs around the holidays? Looking at the 5D Mk IV specifically.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Have you considered a used 6D instead?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Set up an import preset that maxes clarity. Done!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Well he’s obviously missing the 55-75 mm focal length range. All the best photos are taken in that range. That’s probably why his pictures have been mediocre. Get a 65mm prime. It will change your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Leaving for a trip to Europe carrying ONLY a 50 mm F1.8 and 6D mkII combo. Wish me luck!