Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm thinking of buying my mom a DSLR for her birthday later this year. She's going to go to the Galapagos Islands in a couple years, and I figure if I get her the gear now she'll have the time to be able to learn to use it before going. She recently (like as in this past year) learned how to use a digital camera for the first time after years of using film. Her current "method" is to take one picture of whatever she takes a picture of (landscapes or her garden) with every single one of the settings on her P&S, and then keep whatever one looks the best.

The annoying thing about her P&S is it sucks balls and is too hard to actually use in manual mode, which is the other reason I want to get her a new one.

I'm just not sure if I should get her the 60D or the 7D. I have a 30D myself, which I love, but I know when I shoot wildlife sometimes I want faster FPS, the autofocus and even better ISO use although I doubt that'll be too necessary in the Galapagos... but I just don't know if it's too much and the 60D would be fine for someone like her.

I also really doubt she would take much, if any, video with it.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Give her the 30D and get yourself the 7D :q:

I have well and truly considered this option, and while I know she would be ok with it, I also know that whatever camera I buy her she will use for like 20 years (or until I next buy her a camera) so I might as well get her a nice one first.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BeanTaco posted:

In that case get the one that's not made of plastic.

Is the 60D made of plastic? That sucks, my 30D is made of ~*~mystery metal~*~ and I just assumed they would have continued that down the line.

Problem solved, then!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Plastic isn't going to mysteriously fall apart in 20 years.

This thread is as nuts as the old one.
Oh yeah, I'm sure plastic will be fine, my mom's just old and thinks plastic is this new fangled trick to make people buy things more often than they need to. She will also be so careful with it that it could be made of glass and it would probably be fine forever.

But the camera she bought in Japan in 1986 still works, and it's metal, ergo...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks for the advice, Electric Bugaloo.

The thing is, I think the reason she doesn't understand her point and shoot is the fact that they're all automatic settings. She's been shooting film regularly for years, has a perfect understanding of aperture/ISO/shutter speed and all that stuff, and I'm certain that 99% of the learning curve is just going to be learning to change everything in a digital format instead of doing it with film, as well as the new mystical technology of autofocus. Her current P&S just doesn't allow her to do any manual settings, hence the playing around with all the settings it does have.

That said, I think you're probably right. I'll just give her my 30D for now and buy myself the 7D. The weight thing won't be an issue, it's just not a thing she cares about. If she wants to take the camera somewhere, she will bring it with her no matter what, things like it being a bit heavy won't bother her a bit. That way, regardless by the time her trip comes along she will have had enough practice with it that even if she gets a new/better camera before going to the Galapagos that she'll know how it works.

Thanks again for the advice, it's definitely the correct idea I think.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This would have been awesome to know from the beginning. It completely changes my perspective and response. From the way you had presented the scenario the first time, it seemed to me like your mom didn't really know how to use anything more complicated than a simple rangefinder. Now it seems like she'd be right at home with a good SLR, just as long as it wasn't digital. That's a totally different kettle of fish dude.
Ah yeah, sorry. I should have been clearer on that point.

quote:

If the whole issue is shifting her from film into digital, then there are a ton of inexpensive resources that are ideal for her. The camera shop I mentioned in an earlier post has a $30 course specifically geared toward getting proficient film shooters comfortable with their new dSLRs. Ask any decent camera shop around and they should be able to point you toward some kind of resource. If they've been around for more than a decade and a half, then the mass exodus of old people from film to digital has been an important part of their business history. There are also a lot of books out there for this purpose.

I'm not totally sure if this voids my old suggestion or not. On the one hand, I think that the whole 'film-->digital' hump is tiny compared to understanding the mechanics of photography and your mom would probably be fine with a new dSLR in a few weeks or months. If that's the case, then maybe- why not get her a 60D or 7D now? It sounds like she'd milk the features over something like a Rebel once she figured out where they were. She'll be able to have fun shooting for the next few years and be totally comfortable with the camera when she goes to the Galapagos. As for which of the two, the 60D is probably more than fine. It's probably going to be replaced with a 70D soon, so I'd maybe wait until then to either get the new model or get the old model for less money. In fact, you could get two 60Ds for (quite) roughly the price of one 7D, depending on the kit lens situation. You know, that's not a bad upgrade from a 30D either....

On the other hand, her trip is still in a few years. The 30D might be fine for her at this moment as an introduction to the perks of digital.
I'll definitely get her into a course like that, I'm sure they exist around here, especially since we're in the part of the suburbs that has enough young people that there's a community college and enough old people that they have to be catered to!

And yeah, that's kind of where all the flip-flopping comes from. I think I might give her the 30D for now, because I do know it will last her a while and she'll be happy with it, then get her something newer before the trip, and then buy either a 60D or 7D myself. I haven't decided which one I'm going for yet, I'll probably be more than fine with a 60D but I'm not ruling anything out just yet.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Personally, though, I think 24–105 is a crummy range on a 1.6× camera. I’d rent a 10–22.

Yup, this. 18 is the bare minimum I would consider for max wideness in Europe.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

woot fatigue posted:

If anything, owning a Canon printer would make me less likely to buy other Canon products.
This but with HP. If I ever have to use another HP printer in my life I think I'll just stab myself in the face and save myself the trouble.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy a Brother laser printer and if you need prints go to Walmart or something.

Laser printer supremacy :smug:

One of my HP printers was a laser printer. It is on the list of printers that make me want to kill myself.

I agree though. Laser>everything else by so far.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Canada, I find London Drugs is the best (relatively cheap) photo printing option there is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Go to Europe and see all the tourists with their 70-200L f/2.8 IS lenses at the Arc de Triomphe or St. Peters.

Like, good job having enough money to buy a lens that ensures you're going to be able to capture 1/10th of the Arc at a time because it's so god damned enormous that with my 18-55 I had to take a panorama to get the whole thing in.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

That metal dude posted:

With all that said I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a 40mm pancake with all the rave reviews you guys are giving it. I'm going to Rome in a little over a week and although I absolutely love my 24-70 it would be kinda nice to have something lighter to walk around with. drat you all!
I say this all the time, but on FF you're probably not going to want narrower than 24mm. Especially if you plan on visiting any churches, but yeah, Rome and Paris, to me, are the two cities wide angle lenses were invented for.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What's that really, really good Samyang (I remember it's wide, but I can't remember how wide) that had basically better quality than all the Canon lineup?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

The 35mm F/1.4

Ah cool, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

outcast_p posted:

Can a goon buy a 60d at the $599 price so a better deal will show up for me then?
Seconding this motion!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Get the 70-200

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you're still in Belgium and find a FNAC store they'll sell lenses, I have no idea whether the prices are good though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1st AD posted:

What does "innovative" video features even mean.
Built in Instagram style filters for your videos.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm still shooting with a 30D.

That said, I might upgrade to another crop camera sometime because max ISO of 1600 (and grainy as poo poo at that) is getting frustrating to deal with.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Seamonster posted:

I like how the mag alloy bodies are cold to the touch

It reassures me that I am using some pro poo poo and arouses me slightly because of it

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Also your camera's weight is in direct proportion to your penis size, so alloys win again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I guess as well I'm having trouble seeing how the 1200d can be so bad that I'm better off buying a 40d, which is several generations old if I understand it right (50, 60, 70). Surely a 40d would have been used enough that the shutter would be prone to failure?

I have a 30D and it still works perfectly fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also the good thing about the pre-60D models is their metal body is solid enough to beat someone to death.

Weirdly, you never see that in product feature lists.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got my old 30D on ebay Australia.

edit: man, the fact that I haven't lived in Australia since 2011 makes me realize just how old it is now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

iSheep posted:

Ok but I'm referring to The Hobbit 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA&t=65s

1:07
1:13
1:25

Ahahahahaa that's so bad.

I never watched the Hobbit movies, as a huge LOTR fan, and this makes me really happy that I didn't.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I realize you might have just been using penguins as an example, but in case you weren't, be aware that penguins only come in to land around sunset, and trying to take pictures of penguins in the near-dark with that lens is going to be a bit of a challenge.

I have the 7-200 f/4 and definitely only had about a 10-15 minute window to shoot in before it got way too dark in New Zealand, and the shots taken in those last few minutes were definitely on the "ehhhh that's gonna have to get fixed in post" side of things.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, my 30D gives me around 900-something photos on an 8GB card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like my 30D because it weighs so much I can use it as a murder weapon if need be.