Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

bisticles posted:

or even the dentist enthusiast

Ok, now I'm picturing a guy hiding behind a blind catching sweet shots of a root canal procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Do you have to be a Costco member to get prints there?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The adjustment wheel on my Rebel XTi is acting up. Sometimes both directions register as rolling it left, therefore trying to increase exposure/aperture/decrease shutter speed acts in the opposite way intended, so rolling the wheel back and forth just pegs everything to the lower limit. I realize the thing is an antique and I already wanted to buy a new camera, but I'd like to wait for the 70d/7d2 before deciding.

Googling indicates it's a common problem. Is there any way to set/reset exposure/aperture/speed without using that wheel so I can limp along for a month or two? The problem only occurs sometimes, but that sometimes is always when you need the camera.

edit: immediately after posting I realized I have a battery grip and that probably solves my problems. I'm stupid.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I've been holding off on a new camera knowing this was coming out. Hooray! What are the chances that a 60d battery grip will work on it? Did the 50d grip work on the 60d?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't have a 60d, I was just wondering if I'd have to wait for battery grips to become available, or if I could buy a 60d grip for it right away. I'll be upgrading from an XTi, so I imagine I'll be blown away by everything about it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What's the general consensus on the 18-135 lens that you can get bundled with the 70d? If I'm not mistaken, it's the $549 model on Amazon, right? Seems like a nice walk around lens, which is something I don't really have. I have a Sigma 10-20 for the wide end, but nothing decent between that and 50mm, and it's nice to not have to swap lenses if I'm just playing dumb American tourist.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

mclifford82 posted:

Get the Canon 15-85mm IS USM, it'll kill that lens and it's just about the same price. I'm even selling mine for the same price, but would recommend it regardless.

Well, that's not bundled with the 70d for $350. Not that I'm against going body-only and buying a walk around lens, but the bundle seems like a nice deal.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What does the "expanded ISO" of 25600 mean on the 70d specs? From what I can find it means that the range goes up to 25600, but the quality suffers above 12800 so they just claim that as the maximum "native" ISO.

Also, am I right in thinking that a 70d at 12800 ISO gives me 3 full stops of exposure over my XTi with 1600 ISO? Like, a shot exposed properly at 1/60 on the XTi would be exposed properly at 1/500 on the 70d? That seems like it can't be right.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Got it. I usually shoot RAW and adjust exposure in post, so I will stick to the native ISOs! :tipshat:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, my XTi is almost unusable at 1600 ISO. I can't wait to see how the 70d does at 12800. Was I right in my below assumption?

Erwin posted:

Also, am I right in thinking that a 70d at 12800 ISO gives me 3 full stops of exposure over my XTi with 1600 ISO? Like, a shot exposed properly at 1/60 on the XTi would be exposed properly at 1/500 on the 70d? That seems like it can't be right.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Never saw a reply, figured I'd try again.

Wasabis are cheaper on Amazon and they're real.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Are you Les Stroud?

Maybe find an EE to put something together for you? I thought it sounded impractical, but it looks like it might work if my math is correct. Assuming a 1 square foot panel can produce 9W, it should charge an LP-E6 in an hour and a half (or at least produce the necessary power to do so). I have no idea how batteries charge, though. Maybe use the solar panel to charge something like this, which in turn could power a car charger? Again, assuming my math is right, that battery has the capacity of 6 LP-E6s.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Fedora Brandisher posted:

If you're going bouldering a GoPro might not be the best choice. If you have it mounted to yourself you just end up with a bunch of footage looking directly at a rock face and it can get in the way.

Microsoft is working on a fix for that: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapse/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm going to Italy with my girlfriend in September and I want to get the best walk-around lens money can buy (presumably an L lens). I have a 70d so it probably needs to be wider than 24mm, but ideally I wouldn't have to swap lenses 80 times per day.

I currently have:
10-20mm Sigma (probably my current favorite walkaround, but I have to swap it out a lot)
40mm pancake
50mm 1.8
18-135 kit lens
70-200mm f2.8 Sigma (my other favorite lens, but it weighs a ton)

I'm thinking the 17-40 is the least likely to have to be swapped out while walking around, but I can still imagine times where I'll miss something because I can't go beyond 40mm. Maybe the 24-105 would reduce the swapping, but I'm not sure - I imagine I'm going to spend more time at the wide end with all the old buildings and whatnot. Any strong opinions? Is there something else I should keep in mind - weight, size, etc?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

The 17-55 is much, much better than the 17-40, L or not. It's also a stop faster, slightly longer, and has IS. There's also good third party recommendations like the non-vc tamron 17-50 that is loved around here, but if you're trying to stay Canon, the 17-55 is a much better buy.

Edit: The 17-40 was the defacto choice for a nice normal zoom on the 10D over a decade ago. Not so anymore basically

Thanks. I'm fine with 3rd-parties, considering my favorite lenses are Sigmas. I just figured L glass might be the answer here.

Why is the tilt-shift lens the perfect walkaround lens? Architectural photographs? Won't it be too narrow on my 70d? The quoted post even says 24mm is too narrow.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

One of those department electronic stores in Australia.

This is the country where your $150 lens is $450 even though our dollar is pretty close

Your dollar isn't very close at all. 1 USD = 1.43 AUD. The US Amazon price of a 5dmk3 body only is $2,499. 2499 * 1.43 = 3,573.57.

6d is $1,399 which is about 2000 aussiebucks on the nose. Sorry bud, but those prices are fair.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The table at the bottom of the Wikipedia article on Canon EOS cameras is helpful as it relates to sensor size: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

The nikon-> canon lens adapters all have lovely reviews (except ones that are like $200). The main thing they complain about is that they're impossible to remove and/or get stuck to the camera. Some people said they bought an adapter for every lens, but the ones with the better reviews are still $60 and I have 3 Nikon lenses so that's super expensive to buy 3 adapters for $60.

Do you all have any suggestions?

gonna x-post to Nikon thread.

Sell your Nikon lenses and buy Canon lenses.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Djimi posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Sigma 150-600mm Sport or maybe the Tamron G2 equivalent. Anybody have experience with either and thoughts?
I've been happy with my 70-200mm Canon ƒ 2.8 for a long time, but I'm thinking of some nature & closer sports photos.

I bought the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary for a trip to Montana and it was great for wildlife. I'll still default to my 70-200 though unless I need the reach, since that's the only thing it does better than the 70-200.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Von_Rock posted:

Yeah, I was trying to be thrifty and bought it from a site in Hong Kong, shipped to the UK and the cost to return it + restocking fee is pretty high.
Lesson learned, don't do that. Think of the extra cost of buying locally or from Amazon or another reputable site as insurance that the product will work and that you can exchange it if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Would September-early October be good?

I went in September a few years ago and it was great. Still crowded, especially at Old Faithful, but plenty of space off the beaten path. We also did Glacier that trip and the main pass got snowed in. The further past September you go the more you risk not being able to get to places you want to go.