Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm surprised no one posted this yet. It's pretty huge news.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

demonachizer posted:

I have heard you say such nice things about this lens that I finally bit the bullet and ordered it today. I am traveling to Paris next month so I hope that it will be a good walk around lens.

I have one and it's incredible, but remember it's manual focus only so it has a learning curve if you're used to quick auto focus. Its a lens that benefits greatly from a tripod, but it is still a wonderful walk around lens.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dunno what I did, and I'm scared I hosed up my camera :( I was trying to use that Raw video thingy floating around, and I wasn't successful, but now when I boot up my camera it takes like 3 seconds for it to start up when it used to be instant. I'm fiddling around with different things to see what causes it, and it looks like when an SD card is in the camera it's still instant, but when I use a CF card it lags like hell. No card appears to be instant too.

Weird, I tried formatting the CF card and installing older firmware but its still very very slow with a CF card :/

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

how do you disable the bootloader?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Hmm I got magic lantern to work, but the card still isnt going very fast on bootup. I tried formatting the card, but that didnt work :/ I also tried putting the autoexec.bin file on the card to see if that would help, but nothing. I'm so dumb when it comes to these things :(

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The issue isnt with ML , even if i delete that firmware and go back to an older firmware, the issue is still there for some reason. And it's only using the CF card. I wonder if its the card going bad or something? So weird, the camera used to boot up extremely fast with the same exact card. I guess I can try using another CF card? Hmm....

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

1st AD posted:

Another poster said there was a way to disable the bootloader, you need to do that otherwise your camera is always going to be looking for firmware updates on startup.

I cant find it :( I've looked everywhere, in the ML menus and in the Canon ones. Any idea where its hidden?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Hmm I searched the wiki and nothing really shows up for bootloader :/

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

evilmonkeh posted:

Which camera are you trying to disable this for? if it's the 5D3, then you're out of luck as there's not yet an installer that reverts this setting. look at this forum post.

That would explain it. haha. Ugh. So the only way to make my CF card work properly is to remove ML right? Or does it permanently gently caress it up until someone creates a fix? Because I had already deleted ML and it was still doing it, but maybe I did something wrong.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

mclifford82 posted:

The one part of my transition to full frame I forgot to account for was a wide angle lens. Does anyone have any opinions on the 16-35 vs the 17-40? I don't really need the 2.8 aperture as this is mostly going to be for landscape work. Or there is also the 24-105 which is pretty similar to the focal range on the 15-85mm EFS it's meant to replace.

Thanks in advance.

The 24mm TS-E, duh.

Speaking of, I need to get rid of my 17-40....to the SA mart!!! *flies away*

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I cant seem to figure this out, we talked about it awhile back, but I reset my firmware and its STILL doing it. Ever since I tried to install magic lantern my camera lags for about 1-2 seconds on boot up now. It sounds minor but it used to bootup instantly and it's REALLY annoying me. I just want my camera back to normal :(

I formatted my card and installed firmware 1.2.1 (the latest) for the 5d mark 3, and it still does it. What the hell can I do at this point!? I'm running out of ideas.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don't think the 5d mark 3 firmware HAS that option :/

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

evil_bunnY posted:

Expanded ISO is done in digital, instead of using amps on the sensor signal. It means you'll get a better result shooting at the max native ISO setting, then pushing in post.

Even the highest native ISO setting pushed in post is going to look like absolute poo poo though...so.........

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm going on an alaskan cruise at the end of august, and im trying to decide what lens to purchase to go along with the 24mm TS-E and 135mm f2.

My budget is in the 1200 range. The 70-300 IS, 100-400 IS, 400mm 5.6, or 300mm f4 IS are in the running.

Thoughts?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Haggins posted:

Why on earth would you spend $1200 on lens for a week/two week/whatever-it-is long vacation? Either save $1000 and rent a lens better than all three of those choices or spend that money on a lens you'll want all year round. Or better yet, use that money to go on an excursion somewhere cool with cool poo poo to shoot.

Geeze.

I'm not going to purchase anything without using it first, I was just curious what people think about the choices presented within my budget because I don't have a telephoto lens with a lot of reach and I wanted impressions based on experience.

And I can't exactly rent a lens , try it out on a cruise ship , and decide to go with something else.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

LiquidRain posted:

There was a fellow here earlier in the thread saying his Canon camera was perma-stuck being really slow to wake from sleep after they installed Magic Lantern - even after he wiped ML off his memory card and was back to a Canon firmware.

I experienced the same infuriating problem today, and it turns out a normal flashing of your firmware will not disable the bootflag that has your camera attempt to check your CF/SD card for firmware every time it wakes up. Seek out firmware (or make your own) that disables your camera's bootflag and your camera will go back to being speedy. The instructions for doing this on a 7D are here, search for "7dnoboot" on the page.

It was me. Still doing it :( I have a 5d mark 3, i'll look around that page to see if there's a solution for it yet.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Gambl0r posted:

I finally caved and upgraded to the 24mm TS-E II (used, but mint from eBay). Tilt and shift on the same axis is going to be sweeeeet... not to mention the improved optics. Not so enthusiastic about the 82mm filter ring, though. I haven't been able to see how it will impact my Cokin P setup yet - I need to buy a 82mm adapter ring. I still have the first-gen 24mm TS-E for a few days until I sell it to a friend - Does anyone want/care for some kind of specific comparison shots before I sell the first gen lens?

Welcome to the club. It's absolutely fantastic. No shots needed, it's the best of the best. ;)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I have a canon 35mm 1.4 L. Is the sigma really that much better? What are the pros and cons of the sigma?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've used dozens of lenses and I cannot get enough of the 24mm TS-E L II. It hardly leaves my camera unless im shooting portraits or macro stuff.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Bubbacub posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. I just impulse bought a TS-E 24 II. Goodbye, money.

Welcome to the club! You'll never want to take that damned thing off, its such a great lens. What body are you using it with?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm too invested in Canon glass to switch, and honestly the 5d mark 3 is still a fantastic camera for most of what I do. The d800 is better, yes I know, I've heard it a million times, but not owning one isn't crippling. Hopefully someday Canon catches up, it would be nice, but gear lust is pointless. There will always be something better.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Chiming in to bitch about something falling off my Canon. The little round label fell off the mode dial on my <1year old 6D a few days ago. Superglued it back on with no problem, but just glad I saw when it fell off.

This happened to me too, but I......don't think you're supposed to use superglue. You have to use a glue specifically for plastics as superglue combined with the sun/heat can eat plastic (thats what I heard anyway, maybe im wrong)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I love my 135mm f2, but I do wish it had IS. I have a pretty steady hand but that focal length is a bit tricky.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I never liked the 85. I owned one for a few months and sold it. 35, 50, 100, 135 are the best focal lengths for me. 85mm is just a really awkward focal length when I'm using it, the 100mm feels a lot more natural to me, and 135 is just magic if you have the space for it. *shrug*

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

geeves posted:

Since I survived the last year I decided to reward myself with the new 5Ds.

5D2 with a 32g card can get over 1000 raw images. 5Ds only 404. :stonk:

But that new camera smell :allears:

I'm jealous, how do you like it so far? I'm definitely getting one at some point.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I recently had an art show, and I was printing at large sizes (40"x60" ) and I noticed it started to get a little pixelated at that size (im using the 5d Mark III). I've been eyeing the 5dsr, do you think it would be a good investment or do you think I should wait for something better? I know the dynamic range is pretty much the same, but the added resolution is appealing. I'd love some thoughts.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ugh. Every direction I turn, medium format truly feels like the direction I should be going in. I just feel like we're in this transition phase where medium format is getting much more affordable and in a few years, we'll have options that don't cost 20-30k (like the Pentax 645z)

Sigh. I'm lost. ;_;

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Helen Highwater posted:

What sort of things are you shooting? If you're selling huge prints at shows, then you probably don't need us to tell you what is good, but we can avoid giving you useless recommendations if we know what you are doing.

Portraits and landscapes is 80% of my work. My art show was all landscapes, so I didnt need the hi speed sync that the Pentax lacks in this scenario, but I'm worried for studio use when using strobes if 125/sec is going to be fast enough. My other issue is lenses, I love the variety in Canon lenses. I have a 24mm TS-E for landscapes, a 135mm f2 for portraits, a 35mm for events, etc. With the Pentax I'm not sure if I'll find the right tools, but id love recommendations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

timrenzi574 posted:

Not unless you are using a shutter speed shorter than the duration of said strobe, which if you're already cranking the power down as much as possible is going to be super fast. Even my lovely 80$ godox lights have a duration of like 1/2000th of a second on low power. Better ones are going to be 1/4000th or 1/5000th of a second. Speedlights are like 1/20,000 when the power is turned down. What cameras are syncing faster than these speeds to cut part of the flash out of the exposure?

Can you explain this a bit more? I'm a little confused.

Also, it's suggested a leaf lens would change the sync speed capabilities? Can someone explain why a leaf lens couldn't be made for say, a DSLR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alkanphel posted:

Those are some of the most boring specs leaks ever.

Can I ask what else you want? I think we're reaching a point where it's really small improvements.