Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm stoked the a7ii will be available so soon. Perfect timing to bail on my 7d and move to full frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Well, I just pre ordered the a7ii. Mostly because it was announced right when I was catching up on the market and looking for a new body. They sold me on the a7ii with the addition of IBIS, as I shoot almost exclusively with old c/y zeiss lenses. I'm not sure if IBIS is worth $500, but I'm going to find out.

Unrelated, is there an m42 adapter that will work with my tak 35 smc? I read there might be an issue with an extra tab on the smc version.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone have experience with the new FE 16-35 f4?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone have the fe 55? I'm looking at picking one up and wondering how you guys feel about it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Follow-up, I'm renting the fe 55 right now. If there's anyone out there with an a7ii or a7, do you have your custom buttons set up for AF functions? I'm currently using c3 for af settings so I can quickly move the flexible focus point and the center dial button to center lock af. Curious if you guys have any tracking af functions mapped.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Literally just thinking about getting a 55 today after my friend decided to get an A7 and asked me what prime lenses were available and it turns out the exact same ones as when I bought my A7 two weeks after it came out. Also curious how you're liking it. I remember being pretty impressed with the images I saw from it but I was all about manual focus lenses back then and I bought the 24-70 to still be able to take photos when I didn't want to gently caress with manual focusing, but it turns out F4 is just so dull and I use my Canon for actual work so I never use it.

I really like it, but I'm not sure how I felt about the AF. Coming from using manual focus primes 99% of the time, felt like it got in the way. I decided to rent the Loxia 50 f/2 just to be sure I want to go with the FE 55 or not, I feel like it's optically more unique, but the fly by wire MF is annoying.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I just want a lazy walk-around lens for when I'm not really doing a shoot or going for anything in particular so the AF will be nice to have. I have a bunch of old baller Minolta lenses for when I want to be all artsy and take time composing shots. I'd use the 24-70 if it wasn't so huge and the DOF wasn't so garbage. How did you like the IQ?

E: Lol at this review I found of the Loxia. Nice Clarity 100 ruining any way to judge the images from the lens dickhead.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/11/14/the-sony-a7-and-zeiss-loxia-50mm-f2-lens-review-by-tomer-vaknin/

Having used MF for so long I feel like I'm actually faster in most situations with it than AF. The a7ii t makes MF lenses a such a dream. From what I've read the Loxia and FE perform the same after f2.8 in terms of sharpness, the color looks better in the Loxia samples I've seen. They both look exceptional and it comes down to AF vs MF.

http://www.dearsusan.net/2014/10/10/zeiss-loxia-50-sony-fe-55-leica-summicron-50-great-normal-lens-shootout/

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 13, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

If you like to do a lot of shallow depth of field, slow photo stuff mf is where it's at. The a7ii is the best camera on the market for mf legacy lenses. Obviously if you do candid street photography, you'll want to af and tracking, which it does fine in okay lighting.

Here's two test shots I took with the loxia 50 (native mf prime) using focus peaking and magnified live view in the evf. Ibis while magnified is ridiculously handy.

And a low light example:

Iso 6400 f2 1/125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ended up going with the fe 55, can't wait.

• Locked thread