Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Wasn't El Metal or something a plot item in the first Wild Arms?

I adore this LP - the game is amazingly bad and there haven't been an update that doesn't make me laugh. Granted, this is mostly because of the brilliant script, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papstr
Oct 9, 2012
Who cares about disarming traps when you can deliver a fiery punch with your Burnfist!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Taciturn Tactician posted:

: Aye caramba, Ryle. Es un grande mess you got us into.
: ĄDios Mio!
ahahahahahaha holy poo poo, that made my day! I'll put that onto the first page right away.

alcharagia posted:

Ryle's loving relationship with his boat is my favorite part of the game so far.
Everything around it is just an excuse to carry the greatest story ever told. A boy and his boat. :allears:

thenightsshadow posted:

As for El Metal...I wish there was a bit more liberty given to it. Elven Metal, for instance, would have been quite a bit better.
I wanna say that the "El" part seems familiar, like if I had seen it in another JRPG. gently caress if I know which though.

thenightsshadow posted:

The overall lower quality of English used in the translation, IIRC, is due to rm2kfanboy not being a native English speaker? Like I mentioned, it's been a long while since I even played this series and participated in what little fanbase there was for it at that time.
I honestly can't believe that he was a native speaker. No way. The syntax and grammar is just too hosed up for that.

Szurumbur posted:

I adore this LP - the game is amazingly bad and there haven't been an update that doesn't make me laugh. Granted, this is mostly because of the brilliant script, but still.
Glad that you enjoy it! I was honestly worried that some parts would be too talky, without much outrageous Anime stuff going on. But believe me, the game has so much more in store for us. Especially when the plot turns "serious". And I'm already dreading a certain part with the most bullshit minigame ever made by a human. It made me quit my first run through this game.

Also, after a quick scan, it seems like the voting is in favor of Caris. Which means that I'll be walking into all the traps. :v:

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Dear God this game is so badly-translated Anime it hurts so good

As much as I love Blue-haired Tsundere McCoolName, I doubt she needs the extra votes. I'm putting my vote in for Orubia!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Let's go with Orubia to change things up.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Let's take Orubia for a spin.

I remember this whole bit of going to and from Ryle's hometown as being one of the worst in the game, in fact all the scenes following the liberation of the kingdom are pretty terrible. From the fact the characters know exactly what's going on without even dropping a hint to the player, to Fina's nonsense and Brad's ridiculous stubbornness, this whole segment is really terrible. Luckily, the next few bits should make up for it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Wasn't El Metal or something a plot item in the first Wild Arms?

Elw, pretty close. El sounds familiar to me too but maybe there's just a few things that sound similar but aren't exactly that.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
You never go on an adventure without a healer unless you are trying to just kill things as fast as possible. And even then, Glass Cannon is a term that just screams at when when I think this way.

What all this means is take Orubia with you. Having a healer is good.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Yes, Brad. Everyone indeed is girl.

I have to admit, I legitimately laughed when I read that line. It somehow seems to sum up this game in a nutshell. :allears:

Also, I realise this might just be Tin Tim having mercy on us and smoothing over the worst of it, but am I the only one who feels the translation's quality is highly variable? I mean we've got the trainwreck that was the confrontation with Xaktor (who I still maintain was so EVIL that he made our heroes forget how to speak properly) and some lines that got through pretty okay.

And I vote for Orubia. Variety is the spice of life!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think you'll find that the translation in the screenshots is much worse than the transcribed text.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'll vote for Orubia as well, for variety's sake.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Just read through the thread. This is certainly, uh... something.

Anyway, I vote Orubia, because Caris has had enough screentime already.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I think you'll find that the translation in the screenshots is much worse than the transcribed text.
As said, I fix a few things here and there. Mostly for the syntax and errors that offend me. But the screens will always be a testament to how bad it really is. :stare:

Also, voting is closed!

Orubia won and I'm glad that I don't have to chug all my potions.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
There's a section where it feels like the translation just "got better", but you never know when you cross that line, which is one of the frustrating things about liking this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As much as I dislike a preponderance of cutscenes, I'd rather have a boat-building cutscene than waste time fiddling about in the village when there's only one right way to proceed.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Meet the Biggest rear end in a top hat in Anime-Land

We'll see if you made the right choice...

Before we head into the forest, I want to include this little line.

Now I'm convinced that Caris was ribbing on Fina a bit in the beginning. It just didn't really come across in the text.

As Latyss told us, we have to head back to the Lilith Woods, and then take a turn to the south.

A few updates back, we were already here and triggered a small scene with her.

This place is rather foggy. It also has some sweet music, that I want to share with you.

It seems pretty familiar, but I can't place from where I know it.

Anyway, the beginning of this section has no traps, but some new encounters.

No idea if they do something special, because I killed them real fast.

I just keep on trucking..

...right into the next encounter

:stare:

But they aren't as dangerous as they look. Lots of Hp, but no special attacks. Orubia levels from this fight, and learns a better version of her Holy group-attack.

A few steps later, I spot a chest.

Hayami could tell me if that is a trap, but we're just going to find out.

:aaa:

Meet the Mimic, a staple of RPG games. But it's not really dangerous, and Orubia stomps all over it since it's weak to Holy attacks. You also gain nothing aside from Xp and a bit of gold for killing it.

Shortly after this, the fog suddenly starts to get thicker...

"This is the real entrance into the Lite Gryn Forest."

"Real entrance?"

"Elves tend to isolate themselves away from the rest of world, since they don't like humans intruding."

"Now I see, so these fog are made by elves then."

"Only an elf can undo this with the Elemental Spells. I'll start contacting with the Elementals and it requires total silence, so stay back..."

"...Got it. Good luck, Latyss."

"Spirit of nature, the Elementals. I am whom walking the same path as mother nature...Wind, Fire, Earth and Water! Show me the WAY!!"

"...Whew. The woods accepted me. But the others won't accept me as the same..."

"Latyss..."

"Wh, What is it?"

"When they say bad things about you, remember, we are on your side."

"Sis Latyss is always my BEST friend!"

"...."

"Thank you..."

"Alrighty then! Let's go!!"

Now we are in the trapped part of the forest. I decide to carefully creep forward and...

Well, that's a great start!

A few steps later, I reach a savepoint and don't trigger more traps.

Then I spy a chest.

Hayami could tell me if this is another trap. But I have a good feeling since the last chest was already a trap.

:toot:

This is a weapon for Latyss. It attacks all enemies and is particularly good against flying creatures. But the staff I bought her is much better, so I stash it.

On through the forest we go...

I'd really appreciate it, if you would do your loving job, Orubia. :argh:

Ahhhh

"Dispell TRAPS-!! Shield us!"

Thank you!

I mentioned this earlier, but the trap skills only work on a dice roll or something like that. I wasn't very blessed by the RNG during this section. :qq:

Well, time for another chest.

fuuuuuck

:gibs:

At least Orubia can heal everyone after failing to prevent this...

I really miss Hayami's X-ray vision right about now.

I finally manage to cover some ground, without getting hurt. It's only a bit further till this section ends, so I'm confident tha..

:argh:

drat, Orubia. Bringing you along didn't pay off that much. :colbert:

But by some streak of luck, I manage to not step into any more traps on the last stretch.

There we go!

Welcome to Elzcrown.

This town is really close to nature, in style. Lot's of animals around, and the houses look like a hippie dream.

Since we're kinda intruding here, let's be polite and say hello to some elves.

Well, probably not a good idea to start with a grandpa.

Let's look for some younger folks.

"I don't want to talk with humans, leave me alone."

"Hm! Humans. You better leave, YOU don't belong here~"

drat, elves are assholes. :(

Well, this is one of those sections where you have to find the one person that will trigger progress.

In this case, it's also a bit harder than usual. See that house below me? You can enter it from where I'm standing, but that's not very apparent. I hate it when RPGmaker games have doors at this angle, and don't really mark them.

This person looks a bit more shiny than the others, and must therefore be important. :engleft:

Dude! That's..that's racist :aaaaa:

"You just never change. Dierro..."

"Hmm? Oh Latyss, it's you... You're still looking fine, BABE" *smirk*

"Just talking to you makes my skin crawl."

"(I've never seen her this emotional)"

"Hm! Well well look at you! Be friends with these low class creatures...for the silly pride of yours."

"...."

"(What a JERK!)"

"But I never thought you would dare coming back to Elzcrown."

"... Anyway, I don't have any business with you today."

:ohdear:

"..." *clinching teeth*

"(No! I better change the subject.)"

"Excuse us, we didn't come here to bother anyone. I just need some information about El Metals. If you could be so generous..."

"So Latyss, what's your answer?"

"(Hey!)"

:iceburn:

"What do you want!?"

Okay, real-talk; Dierro is a huge loving rear end in a top hat. Like, he isn't necessarily evil in the traditional sense, he's just a good ol-fashioned piece of poo poo. And we're just getting started...

"!!"

"That's nonsense!"

"Hey! Cut the crap!"

"You low class creatures have no rights talking to ME!"

"Arg!!"

"Ryle!!"

"Dear Ryle!!"

"So what's gonna be? Become my slave? Or fry all of them with my magic? HAHAHA..."

"Dierro...!"

"I don't like that look! Guess I am taking that as a "No"? Then let me finish them NOW!!"

"!!(He deflected my spell!?)"

"My dear Latyss...Do you think that the low level magic of yours can possibly scratch my cloth?"

"......"

"Want to bet?"

"A bet?"

"I want 1 on 1 with you. Loser will obey whatever the winner says."

"Silly girl!! What makes you think that I am willing to give up the advantage of current situation?"

"I'm sure you also have pride of your own, right? Or..was it just bluffing? That you actually are scared by humans!"

"Latyss..NO more insulting! Or else I'm gonna kill them all now!"

"Ryle, I don't think you are that weak to be killed by his magic. Right?"

"...Hey have mercy, well ya?"

"*chuckle*"

"Well, that kind of "zap" spell won't take my life away."

"You idiot human...I am not using my full strength yet!"

"Latyss..Is it alright if I shut him off NOW?"

"...I know. I am in the same mood now."

"What do you mean by "Shutting him off"?"

"Looks like I got no choice...Alright! I accept Latyss' challenge."

"You accept? Fine, I'll see you later."

"Huh? Latyss?"

"Come on, let's go."

"Heh! After I beat you, I'll kill these scums, then you'll be mine forever!"

"...I am so relieved."

"What?"

:master:

"I will decide when to fight later. How about here?"

"Fine with me. I am looking forward to see the day coming when I can finally enjoy the face of yours full of shame..."

"Same for me.."

Well ain't that some poo poo? :stare:

We just met the biggest jerk ever, Latyss threw down the battle gauntlet and the game suddenly became good. I think it's no secret that Dierro will be at the center of this arc. He also plays a big role in Latyss' past, and we will learn about some of it in this update. I'll go ahead a bit and say that Latyss has the deepest backstory, and maybe was Flare's favorite girl. This whole part is done well, and is maybe the best of the entire game.

Anyway, to continue, you actually have to try to leave the village. :downs:

"Must be a lucky day for me, Latyss asking ME out..."

"To the west from here, there's a place called Elven Tri. It's a training ground for elves."

"Oh.....A training ground, I see~"

"Why a long face all of sudden? Are you alright?"

He thought you wanted to make out. :ssh:

This is one of the few points where the hint is actually useful. It warns you to be careful about your tone, so you can guess that the first line is too flippant.

"You need to train your magic...is he that strong?"

"I haven't seen his Ace card yet, so I can't tell right now."

"You challenged him 1 on 1 because of a certain possibility of winning, am I right?"

"Or maybe I was influenced by your personality."

"Ouch! You sure know where to poke~"

"*chuckle*"

:3:

Att 14 >>> 16

Nah, we'll do that next time. For the end of this update, we're going to trigger another scene and learn a bit about Latyss' earlier life.

Next to Dierro's house, there is this dilapidated one. When you try to enter it, the game will inform you that this starts an event.

"......"

"Looks like...no one lives here?"

"...It's obvious that the place is still hated by the neighbors..."

"!?"

"This is my old home."

"By the way, why did you have to leave here?"

"....."

"I, I'm sorry...I shouldn't have asked you."

"Simple reason. Dierro wanted me to marry him but I rejected his proposal. He became very angry and began spreading bad rumors about me, later we were forced to leave here."

"You were forced out of the village because you dumped him!?"

There you have it! The big reveal! ...... Haha, nope. There's is more to it. Just trust me on this one. :tinfoil:

"After my family left here, we moved from one place to another toward northeast...yes toward Lavas"

"...Must been hard for you."

"If I was the only one to take the blame, I might have stayed here...but my mother and Preshes..."

"I can't forgive these guys...Like Xaktor before and this guy...What do they think they are!!"

"Ryle..."

"But it turned out to be a good thing."

"Huh?"

"If you haven't left the village back then, we would have never met each other right?"

"Ah..."

"You are right. Mom and Preshes been much happier at Lavas."

"Then what about you?"

"W-Why do you ask me that?"

"Everyone should be happy you know, including you."

"Yes. I felt better living in Lavas as well."

"Haha...The place we have grown up surely beats the one we were born from..."

"Oh yes, Ryle was born in..Factoria Castle..."

"But I have no feelings to that place though...."

"OUR hometown is Lavas, and that's all we need to remember..."

"You bet!"

Att 16 >>> 19

After this scene, you may be inclined to leave....

But do you see that box at the bottom? Isn't it uncanny how shiny and not broken it is?

This is actually an accessory item.

It has some neat buffs, but also gives resistance to three elements. That's real nice! Even more so on a flimsy caster like Latyss. And something is telling me that elemental resistance may be a good thing for the confrontation with Dierro. But I'm not going to keep this ring forever. After all, it belongs to Preshes. :)

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 29, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Glazius posted:

As much as I dislike a preponderance of cutscenes, I'd rather have a boat-building cutscene than waste time fiddling about in the village when there's only one right way to proceed.
Oh yeah, definitely. There is one section in the near future, where you have to walk back and forth multiple times in a real short frame. It's annoying, to say the least.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Credit where it's due; at least this is one of those RPGs where the heroes don't forget they can use loving magic outside battles.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Elves, man. Goddamn elves. :argh:

I checked and it turns out magical traps works much the same as the regular version - roll 0-6, success if 2+. You got really unlucky here!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Yeah this (and the following) part of the game is surprisingly good and fairly well written compared to the rest of the game. Shame it quickly descends back into Anime bullshit later though :bang:

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Small :science: here: That Mimic is killable by Caris' Hidden Crash, IIRC.. Hayami blocks the Physical Traps, Orubia...sorta didn't block the Magical Traps, and Caris takes care of that Mimic without a fight.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I can see the reason behind making Aquarius symbol the icon for Water element, but I have no idea what reason was there for the other two (on the ring).

Also, this part is actually pretty neat, I'm surprised! It seems Laryss' saying that Dioro-jerk was afraid of humans would prompt a duel with Ryle, but it's she who'll fight :confused:

And that's not an appropriate usage of "whom" :arghfist::saddowns: I think

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

I can see the reason behind making Aquarius symbol the icon for Water element, but I have no idea what reason was there for the other two (on the ring).
Sure, making that the icon for Water would be reasonable...

... Except the symbol corresponds to the Thunder element, judging from ring's description.

Also, from its title I'm guessing the forest's BGM was originally meant to be used for a desert-type area.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

TracerK posted:

Sure, making that the icon for Water would be reasonable...

... Except the symbol corresponds to the Thunder element, judging from ring's description.

You're right, I'm dumb. Now I don't understand any of the symbols, though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Credit where it's due; at least this is one of those RPGs where the heroes don't forget they can use loving magic outside battles.
It's kinda neat how many animations this chapter has. Of course, they repeat and are kinda basic, but it's still a nice touch.

vilkacis posted:

I checked and it turns out magical traps works much the same as the regular version - roll 0-6, success if 2+. You got really unlucky here!
I like to think that Orubia just dropped the ball this time. :v:

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah this (and the following) part of the game is surprisingly good and fairly well written compared to the rest of the game. Shame it quickly descends back into Anime bullshit later though :bang:
I really wonder why though. It almost feels like this part was done by a different person, or at a time when Flare just cared more. I dunno. I still think that Latyss was his favorite girl, and that he made her spot in the story with extra effort.

thenightsshadow posted:

Small :science: here: That Mimic is killable by Caris' Hidden Crash, IIRC..
I think so too. Mimics count as hidden monsters, as far as I remember.

Szurumbur posted:

And that's not an appropriate usage of "whom" :arghfist::saddowns: I think
English isn't my first language, but I'm pretty sure that the use of "whom" is hella wrong in that sentence. Though, I think this is one of the few spots where I would cut the translator some slack. "Whom" is kind of a tricky word by default, and I would only use it in a question-like sentence. I dimly remember some grammar rule about that. :)

Szurumbur posted:

Now I don't understand any of the symbols, though.
I'd never expected that anyone would, as far as the basic sign language goes. At least the use of symbols is consistent within the game.

The first one is for fire, and it shows up infront of the names for Caris' fire skills. It's also visible when she mentions any of her skills in a text box. But I have no idea how the symbol would be connected to fire.

The second symbol is for thunder, and looks kinda right. Well, if you can guess that those aren't waves, but lightning bolts. The symbol also shows up on thunder related attacks. One of Hayami's ninjutsus has it, for instance.

The last symbol is for earth, and we haven't seen this type so far. The symbol looks like the clubs card, but maybe Flare thought that it would be close to a cloverleaf? Which is kinda related to earth?

:downs:

Oh, I think I should also mention that I started another thread. It's mainly for the people that have been following my previous threads, since it is about an obscure tactics game and contains zero Anime. Don't be afraid that this thread will start to suffer from that though. I'm working with a huge backlog for the other one, and planned this well in advance.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 8, 2013

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The symbols seem to just be rm2kfanboy's - the Japanese text generally doesn't need to do this because you can already use single Japanese characters to represent the elements. That said, Preshes's ring in particular is just described as protecting from 'various kinds of magic'.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I think so too. Mimics count as hidden monsters, as far as I remember.

Indeed they do! Hidden Crash will kill it and

Caris posted:

You picked the wrong GAL to pick a fight with!!

you get a little quip. And some experience points.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Latyss Rising

Time to power up!

"Are you going in alone?"

"As long as the "1P" is not goofing around, I'll be fine."

"You sure have become more talkative."

"All thanks to you know who."

"Am I that chatterish?"

Well, you always yap on about justice and other bullshit like that. :v:

"Total of 5 emblems required to pass the trial...if I remember correctly. Anyway, all I need to do is: collect 5 "Force Emblems" and come back to the entrance. Also, if you return to the village without having all the emblems collected...You just start all over again."

I wonder how many holes our 4th wall has by now. Here you can choose whatever line you want, but both get different response IIRC. I don't really give a poo poo though, and just pick the first answer.

"Don't kill the messenger here. Complain to the "author"..."

"And since you were rude to me, you better be careful walking alone in back ally....like TONIGHT-"

:thejoke:

The Elven Tri is a pretty small dungeon. The introduction has made the goal painfully clear, so I'm not going to repeat that. This area is mainly a gauntlet, and not hard to navigate. Some of the emblems can't be gotten right away, but overall this is not hard. Though, since Latyss is a flimsy caster, it's a good idea to keep her HP in shape.

Also, Latyss brings the Gameface :colbert:

We can already see the first chest from the start, so let's move towards it.

These guys are the most common encounter here. As their name suggests, they'll resist wind magic and Latyss has to throw ice at them. Aside from having a good chunk of HP, these guys hit also decently hard. And a crit will eat half of Latyss' health. But they're also clumsy, and Latyss' high agility let's her dodge most hits.

This is the other type of encounter in here.

Those guys are actually a bit dangerous, since they can whittle down Latyss' health pretty fast. They do close to a quarter of her health in damage per hit, so you want to throw your group attacks at them ASAP.

Let's get the upper chest first.

Well, that was easy. :v:

Onwards to the next one...

"Hmm-! Can't open it!"

"Something is written..."The one who is blessed by the Elementals"..."

"Blessed by the Elementals?"

Hmm, seems like we have to search this place a bit more before we can get that emblem.

While moving to the lower part of the dungeon, I find the sole healing circle for the area. Handy!

Latyss also leveled on the way, and learned a better version of her wind attack.

"Oh my! It's..."

:confused:

"Elemental Sylph? How come you are here?"

"How come I am here? *sigh* You ELVES sealed me into this miserable place!!"

"Elves? An elf sealed you here?"

"That's right Miss!! One of yours threatened to seal me inside forever if I don't cooperate!"

"(No wonder...I sensed Elemental presence from Dierro back then!)"

That loving guy :argh:

"Anyway! I can't take it anymore! I QUIT!"

"...I know who did this to you."

"What did you just say?"

"I came here in order to stop that man from causing any more harms. Read my heart to see if I am lying, after I initiate "contact" with you."

"You better not trick me again like that guy!"

"Don't worry. "Contact" can not harm the Elementals like yourself."

"Let me see thru your memory then......Dierro!? That's him! The one who sealed me!"

"I just knew it...He's the only elf I know who would threat the Elementals like this!"

"Miss! You were banished from the village because of that Dierro guy?"

"!!"

"Guess I exposed my past too much..."

"...I'm sorry. But I can trust you from now on!"

"...Thanks. Dierro's power should be weakened by now."

"Let me give you a hand when you pummel that Dierro guy, ok?"

"You would?"

"We can't just let him keep abusing Elementals! My buddies might be under his control, who knows?"

"But are you sure? Being involved into little disputes among elves..."

"Why not? At least I can pay him back what he did to me...DOUBLE! Hehehe" *smile*

"I see...Dierro also owes me a lot as well..."

"Then it's settled! I shall enjoy a brief accompany with you Miss!"

And so, Latyss gains her first Elemental and two new skills.

The Aero Slicer is much better than Latyss' own wind skills, and kinda makes them obsolete. Aero heal will restore some HP for everyone in the group, while also curing poison and bleeding. Nifty!

Back to collecting the emblems..

The blue thing above is a teleport back to the beginning, jfyi.

"Something is written here..."When the wind is furious, the path shall open"..."

Hmm, this is the second chest that we can't open right away. Speaking of, didn't the first one said something about being blessed by Elementals?

"...*chuckle*"

Since I can't do anything about the other chest right now, I scoot to the lower part of the Elven Tri.

"React Wind-!"

:frogc00l:

Ah, that should help me with the other chest.

Latyss does a little wind magic animation here. But the gif was epilepsy inducing so just imagine some blue flashes. :)

With all the emblems collected, it's time to :getout:

:woop:

It's about time!

Let's take a look at her shiny new toys. :science:

The wand only seems to give stat bonuses.

More boni and wind resist.

MORE POWER

Protection from silence is pretty handy. Even more so because Dierro can cast it. :ssh:

Hmm... See, while this is a nice ring, I'm not going to equip it now. Half spell cost isn't as useful as raw stats for the fight with Dierro. I'll stash it until I return Preshes' ring.

I'm going to cut it here. The fight with Dierro has lots of talking during and after it, so I really don't want to cram all that into one update. No worries though, the other part will still get posted this week.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

One thing I do like about this game, and is rather clever, is how the characters actually use their magic and powers outside of battle, and even in cutscenes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow we got a half mp cost ring already? Sweet. I guess this is a pretty cool dungeon. At least it gives you a great reward for putting up with the maze.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

SSNeoman posted:

Wow we got a half mp cost ring already? Sweet. I guess this is a pretty cool dungeon. At least it gives you a great reward for putting up with the maze.

Latyss is generally rather frail and underpowered compared to Caris and Fina in the early game. The items and spells she get from this dungeon, however, allow her to pretty much dominate the coming sections.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Like Father, Like Son

"Hoh? You look very confident eh? I won't mind if you need more time."

"Didn't I say, that I will decide when to fight?"

"Fine then... *shrug* Frankly I didn't expect you will be mine SO soon!"

"If I win..you got that?"

"Don't worry I'll follow my promise. I'm not as low as you are..."

"Latyss.."

"No need for worries. Unlike your reckless actions, I have a good chance of winning."

"It better be true!"

"Sis Latyss..."

"Don't worry Orubia. Think how to celebrate after this."

"Ok sis..."

drat, Orubia sure gets some meaningful lines during this arc. :v:

"Don't forget humans!! Once I win, I'll make Latyss kill all of ya!!"

"I don't think so pal."

"Enjoy the short moment of your life while it lasts Hahaha!"

Dierro sure is a flashy mofo, but I find my entire attention drawn to the right tree. I dunno, it just always makes me laugh. :)

"In order to get what you want, you would use any means possible. Because of your greed, my family were forced out of the village, and Sylph was abused."

"Don't you think it's not fair at all?"

"Silly girl! Only those with power have such a privillage to talk about fairness!!"

"Then you didn't have to rely on me! Sipping my power and made me stuck in that box in return?!"

"Because you are weak! I have right to use you like a tool! And you can never get away from my grasp!"

"Not a chance! Beh~"

"I better stop him now...before he goes berserk!"

The fight with Dierro can be pretty tough, depending on how much you trained Latyss before. Since I'm a few levels ahead of the curve, I won't be having a hard time with him though. I just bolster Latyss' spell stat and go to town.

"Latyss!! We can't keep fighting like this!"

"(I can't believe he is still this strong after losing much power from Sylph!?)"

I kinda hate it when games do this. I was dominating Dierro pretty hard, but the plot demands otherwise! I'm also pretty sure that he's immortal during this phase, jfyi.

"Latyss! I can sense other Elementals' power from that guy!"

"Other Elementals besides Sylph are under his control!?"

"Dierro!! You just never stop abusing others!!"

"Too late to realize that!! Heh heh heh! I can see you now becoming my slave!"

"He's absorbing everything and turning them into his own power...His heart is filled with dark power!!"

"...I'll "contact" the Elementals he is using and I will try to free them! Keep him busy for 4 turns!"

"Sylph!? Wait!! If his Elementals are more powerful, then you might get absorbed!!"

"It would be the same if we lose now!! Let's do it! "Contact"!!"

"Sylph! Come back!!"

"Latyss! If you want to defeat Dierro, you have to let me go!"

"Sylph..."

"I got you! But you must come back to me!!"

"You bet I will, Miss!"

The game is pretty fond of that "survive x turns and the plot will save you" thing. It's not hard to do, and gets kinda old by now. But it's a nice touch that you can't use Sylph's skills during those four turns.

Let's skip ahead...

"You are Sylph, I presume?"

"It's alright! We are surrounded by the "Myst Field"! You can run now!!"

"By the way, I know a place where you can find the most delicious seed, how about we go together later?"

"How can you say that at the time like this!!"

"Sorry...~ Then let's get out of here..."

"Slow as usual....oldman~"

Gnome will not join Latyss and just fucks off. I'm not too sure if you'll get more Elementals as the game goes along, or if you have to find them. It's been a while, you know? But I do know that you need all of them to unlock Latyss' endgame weapon. So if any of you readers can educate me, just shoot me a PM. Saves me the time I would spend searching the world. :)

"Latyss! I am back!"

"Sylph!?"

"Thank goodness..."

"Latyss! Gnome has left Dierro!"

"Earth Elemental Gnome...I see why Dierro was able to neutralize the wind magic."

"Sylph!! It was all your doing!"

"Haaha! Now you are totally powerless!!"

"Dierro..you are finished! Nothing can protect you now!"

"You mess up with the Elementals, now you gonna pay for it!"

"Thanks to you, I can capture other Elementals again! Are you ready?!"

"Can't you fight on your own? Always leaning on others."

"HA! I just didn't want my hands get dirty(shrugs) But since you made me fight by myself, I wont have any mercy on YOU!!"

"Because of people like YOU, we elves can't get along well with others. One must help and rely on each other, in order to live!"

Dierro has become a lot weaker now, and his attacks also do very little damage to my buffed Latyss. Of course, you have to attack him till you trigger the next event..

"You weren't using full power so far?"

Of course not! No Anime ever does that :v:

"I wanted to torture him little by little, but I changed my mind! Finish him with one grand finale!!"

"(Smiles) You don't have to pretend. Actually you were concerned about me getting hurt by the blast, right?"

"Mm, well? I don't know what you're talking about~"

"Don't worry about me. Do as you wish!!"

"Watch out for my blast! Don't get too close ok? I'll use it for this time only! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Wind! Obey my command! Bring me the power of great storm!"

"Hmm! What an intense air pressure!!"

"Hey! Latyss! Better hang on tight!"

"I....I'm ok! Finish Dierro now!"

:black101:

Sadly, Dierro isn't scripted to die when you use this move. So I had to do it a few times more.

Aside from gold and Xp, I also got 3 VPs and a camping tent.

"You'll die if we continue. Now, it's your turn to follow your promise."

"You said it was 1 on 1, but you got the Elementals involved~!! So this fight doesn't count!"

"How pathetic. You tried to use Elemental Gnome, in case Sylph won't work on me."

"Then I got no choice. I will have to FORCE you to follow your promise."

"What?!"

"You said the duel doesn't count? Then I just let Sylph have his revenge on you!"

"That's his reward for helping me."

"Eek!"

"Also don't forget my share of revenge after years of your abuse and mistreatment!"

"S, Stop...it!!"

"I might change my mind if you are willing to give us the location of El Metal."

"..Ok, I give up! *raises both hands* My dad knows where the El Metal is located."

"I see..ok then. Sylph, don't you think it's ok to let him go?"

"What are you talking about!! He wont get away from this easily!"

"..Oh well...that's too bad."

"Mm? I said, "I might change my mind", but never said I will stop the beating."

"Waaaaa?! That's not fair!"

"Not fair? Didn't you say the weak don't have the right to talk about fairness?"

:master:

"Besides me, my mom and my sister all have suffered because of you which you must pay for..."

"Not only that, as an elf I can't let go of you for the sake of Sylph."

"Way to go Miss! Abusing the Elementals is a serious crime~!!"

"I better not make Latyss really angry from now on~"

"Now, are you ready for the beating? Even if you are not, we won't hesitate."

"WHAT? My hearing got bad from the duel, I can't hear you. Sylph! NOW!"

"Take this~! AERO SLICER!!"

"Kyaaaaa!! Somebody stop this!!"

"Hmm, I think something is missing..."

"Oh I know! Finishing touch of my SUPER AERO SLICER!!"

"Sylph, thank you. Why don't we let go of him?"

"She's so calm...as if nothing happened."

"I feel kind of sorry for him..."

:wrongful:

Both girls gain two attraction points, and we're done with the whole Dierro ordeal. Now, we have to chat up his father about the El Metal. But I guess it's no surprise that this won't be easy either. You see, Dierro's father is quite literally the elven version of Hitler. I'm not making a joke here. Also, Ryle hasn't made a speech during this arc, so strap in for more awesome :mordin:

:godwinning:

"Dierro sent us here. Elder would know the location of El Metal..."

"Dierro sent you?! That's a lie!! You are the one who shamed my son! I don't think my son would help such a traitor nicely at all!"

"Ha..*shaking head* Like father and like son."

"You! How dare you low class creature!!"

"Who decided that humans are low class?"

"Elves are indeed far more advanced than humans in magic and life-span. But, humans achieved so much in their short life time, and they are not that inferior to elves. Not only that these people here treated us equally despite of racial difference."

"Even me, the one who's been banished from her own people..."

"Hurmph! You are a shame to our people! Why didn't you die in dignity before you shamefully beg your life to humans?!"

"Hey Mister. Don't you dare to say that you lived so far without depending on others!?"

"Human brat! You don't have right to judge us, a proud race on top of all others!!"

"Then let me ask you the same question. Were you able to live so far without any help from others?"

"That's right! We are the superior people! We don't need help from those inferior to us!"

"So the superior race lie all the time?"

"What?! How dare you!! You are not even intelligent enough to lecture me here!"

:frogon:

"Let me ask you, how did you born into this world?"

"What a stupid question! Obviously from my parents!"

"That means you had to rely on your parents in order to come to this world.."

"No matter how proud and superior you brag yourself to be, you can't even come to this world by yourself."

"Not only that! All your buildings and furnitures must be coming from the forest here! Without them...you can't even support daily life!!"

"Humans, elves, we can't live totally by ourselves, we need to rely on everything around us. We are speaking the same language and belong to the same humanoid category! What superiority?"

DUN-DUN-DUN :aaaaa:

"!! (As the "halfling" between 2 races?)"

Jep, that is the real root in Latyss' backstory. Her father was human, and that's why she had such a hard time under the pure elves. The story with Dierro is true, and now we also know what nasty things he said about her. Racist things! Well, at least it's fair to say that he stirred up the other elves and made them shame Latyss and her family. It's never explained what happened to her father though. Maybe he just reached the end of his natural life before this happened? It's up to interpretation, but since the plot isn't the most intricate to begin with, let's leave it at that. :)

"We have to get rid of stereotypes first, in order to coexist."

"........"

"If you change your mind, I'll be glad to give you hands.."

"Look what you're saying!! You are nobody, what can you do?"

"......."

"He's a prince of human royalty."

"What!?"

"He's the best personale to discuss political treaties."

"......"

"I am not ready to talk about this now! Just leave the village as soon as possible!"

"......."

"I understand, we will discuss later. We came here today for the location of El Metal."

"Fine! I'm not gonna tell humans! Search yourselves!"

"So you are not willing to tell us no matter what?"

"...Hurmph! The inferior human bloodline flows thru your body, I won't talk to such "half-human" any more!"

"....!!!!"

"Ouch!? Latyss! Dare dare~"

"!? Latyss?"

So here's a question: Does she wear a flesh-colored shirt or is she naked under her jacket? :stonklol:

"You are right, my father is human..He loved us very much throughout his short life...Daddy's love filled even my longing for the warmth from my own people..."

"I am proud of having such a compassionate human as my father! If you call such a man low class, then to me, you are..."

"The LOWEST of all beings!!"

:iceburn:

"(Latyss....)"

"You don't have the right to judge others since you can't appreciate the goodness of theirs!!"

"!!"

"That's enough!!"

"!! Ryle..."

"Elder...It's your freedom to say that we humans are inferior.... Every being in this world are supporting each other in order to maintain the order and peace! Even what you said earlier is correct that elves indeed can support themselves."

"Others can not, and you calling such dependency as the inferiority...Not only humans! But all the beings in this world are being insulted by you! In other words, you represent the entire elves that your people are turning against the rest of the world!! Don't forget the dragons who are far more superior than the elves in terms of power and magic helped humans. 20 years ago they fought along side with humans, in order to defeat the Mahzoks. The Savior, Sacred Dragoon Flare Delstar, you should know that name. That person defeated the lord of Mahzoks, CHAOS, and brought the peace to this world. That means you are just pretending to be the top of this world which was saved by the "inferior" humans!!"

:words:

"Ryle..."

"Don't we have our duty to help each other and live peacefully in this world...which Flare fought so hard to protect?"

"....."

"I don't need your answer right now. All we need today is to know where the El Metal is located. Soon after we get the metal, we won't bother you any more. So please tell us!"

"Want to get El Metal? I don't want the machines inside the mine get damaged by you humans again!!"

"W-What did you say!?"

:eyepop:

"What do you mean?"

"Several days ago, humans from the castle sneaked into the mine and destroyed many of our machines which process the ores!!"

"Several days ago? That means....it must have been Xaktor!!"

"Humans can't enter the forest alone...that means the mine is outside of the forest?!"

"The mine is located in the mountains near the forest entrance. If you look carefully, you should find it."

"drat Xaktor... He's ruining everything!"

:argh:

"Ryle, hurry to the mine. We might be able to find some clues about the culprits."

"Also some clues about who's behind Xaktor. Elder, we will leave immediately. About the machines....it's our fault. Once everything is over, we'll send helps to repair them."

"Didn't you order them to break in? You said you are their prince."

"Unfortunately, I can't ascend to the throne, my nobility has been striped away, so I don't have any influence."

"What!?"

"I just found out recently..that I am prince."

"Then what was all the big talks about coexistence and treaties?"

"You mean you are interested in it?"

"Ryle is temporarily off from his rank due to some personal issues. Once he desires, he can return to his duty right away."

"You said too much! Latyss! Let's get going!"

"Why don't you return to your castle now!?"

"I like my current life style. Also I got friends. To me, they are much more...Then we shall get going."

"Elder, farewell"

"Just leave."

:smith:

"Let's go Ryle."

"Ok..."

Aaaaaah, so many words! :bang:

Honestly, this last part is the only thing that I dislike about Latyss' arc. It was just so bloated, too drawn out, and ultimately pretty shallow. I mean we already know that the game likes to drone on about values and moral lessons, but this part was quite painful at times. But, I have to say that it's positive that the elder didn't became our best buddy after some passionate talking. That's a thing that happens real often in RPGs.

Anyway, we have one last little scene to go through.

Before leaving, Ryle wants to chat even more...

"You surprised me back there. Zapping the elder all of sudden."

"....."

"I can see you are very sensitive about being called "halfling"..."

"......!"

I had to watch the previous scene twice, because I thought the second line would be right. :cry:

"You shouldn't get your hands dirty for that oldman. I was about to punish that old geezer by myself, for insulting my friend! Latyss is Latyss no matter what happens..."

"..Thank you...."

Att 21 >>> 23

Well, next time we'll take a look at that mine! Also, for getting through this update, I have a small reward for you...

She almost cares about Ryle.. Almost :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 29, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Is there a story where the elves aren't complete and utter assholes?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The Will Ferrell movie Elf?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Sylph is a he? Huh.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

No. None.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Age of Wonders?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

"If you change your mind, I'll be glad to give you hands.."

Romancing Walker Rising: Revengeance :black101:

Also I love that the "Normal" state of the characters is literally :downs:, it explains so much.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rocks Fall, Humor Dies

With the location of the El Metal known, we only have to make our way over to it.

Sadly, the traps in the forest are still there! But Orubia did her job this time, and stopped two out of three.

I also forgot to pick up an item in here.

This sneaky chest is a Mimic, but you'll get something for beating it.

This will give a small boost to the att score for the girl of your choice. This item is what allows me to show of all the endings, since there is a way to produce it. That's for much later though, and involves a bit of work.

Off to the mine we go..

...but we don't get far.

"drat! The place is caved in!"

"I better let Hayami use that Iwa Kiri Maru(Rock cutter sword) or some way around...Waita sec, instead of using force, maybe magic is more effective. Caris has FIRE skills and Latyss can use ICE magic... I need both of them to open the path!"

Yeah, I have to walk all the way back and change my party. Pretty annoying, and this part has a lot of walking back and forth in general. :(

Well, technically the girls do all the work, but whatever..

"First let Caris use her HEAT RAY to heat up the rocks. Then let Latyss use her ICE magic to cool down the heated rocks to make them easy to break!"

"Latyss help me to spread the heat around, but be careful don't get burned!"

"Sylph! Spread the heat wave using your wind!"

"Latyss...sometimes act like that Dierro guy~"

"Are you ready? Here we go! HEAT RAY-!!"

".....NOW! FREEZE WAVE-!!"

"Wow! Incredible!!"

"Yikes!!"

"This is unexpected."

Clever girls...

"He, Hey! What's going on!? What are you..."

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaa!? This can't be reallllll!??"

"OoooWaaaa!!"

"Whew~ I shouldn't over heated them...and the rocks just exploded..."

"Once we got hit, we are a goner~"

"But we cleared our objective, and with only 1 casulty."

"Ouch..that hurts..."

"It's kind of late to say this, are you alright?"

"You took ME as human shield, and that's all you can say?!"

"...T-There's one left?"

Rocks falling on Ryle's head is a theme for this section, and that "joke" will get run into the ground really hard.

"Oh come on, we can't just let him lay down here?"

"It appears he got hit harder than I thought."

"Harder than you thought~"

"He's alright. The injury is not serious as it looks."

"Here you~GO!!"

Caris! :argh:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!"

"Caris that was too much! He might not wake up forever!!"

"Don't worry."

"You didn't have to hit him that high."

"Caris! You try to kill me or what?!"

"You actually survived from "that"..."

"If it was me, I would have died for sure~"

"Huh? I woke you up and that's all you can say? How about I give you submission hold?"

"Who in the world would wake up a person by upper cutting him to the ceiling?!"

"Don't shout too loud!"

"No...not another one falling~"

"I told you there are broken pieces on the ceiling your voice will shake them off..."

"Even the mother nature is on my side, I am just so incredible."

"I don't want to care any more~"

Sooo funnnehhh :thejoke:

:confuoot:

"You gotta be kiddin! Learning new skills like this~"

Warp will teleport you to any town that you have visited before, but you can't use it while in a dungeon. The fact that your boat also follows, is pretty nice though.

So, with the big part of the comedy hour over, we can finally continue..

"Hey, don't you feel little spooky?"

Don't jinx it!

"Yeah, little bit."

Told you so. :argh:

Suddenly, ghosts!

"That many ghosts!? They are worse than the Soul Eater back in Dannyon Mine!"

"We can't beat them all only by ourselves!"

"Let's retreat first."

"Run!!"

Change places!

But this time I don't have to go all the way back, since there is suddenly a Mail Dragon here. He also wants 300 gold for this service, since he is a jerk.

Back into the mine...

"Kyaa-! Ghosts~"

"Noo~ Don't leave me here!"

Well, that worked out great. :ftbrg:

"Hey wait-! Not again~"

And here we have the next of Fina's problems; Phobia of ghosts. She even gets an event trigger in her skills tab! :frog:

"Sis Fina! Don't run away all of sudden~"

"I can't believe this~"

"Waaaaaaaa~ I wanna go home~"

"We can't fight like this, as long as Sis Fina is scared like THIS."

"...Then there's no other way~ I better ask Hayami for help...And which means, we have to beat them one by one~"

Back to the mail dragon - back into the mine...

"Odd? What about it Hayami?"

"......I don't sense any aggressive signs."

"Huh? You're right. They are just floating there, stationed not moving at all..."

"!? That's?"

"Wha!? How come the rocks are falling on me. Again~"

"The ghosts are mere illusions, not real. Sessha's old collague once told sessha about the similar trick. Using the light index angle to create fake images..."

"And the air flow makes the illusion wiggle, as if it's actually floating around. Besides, the way these ghosts appeared is too fast and clean."

Is this a legit Scooby Doo reference? :stare:

"Sessha could not sense any attacks! This must be a work done by some expert assassin! Ryle Dono!"

"(...Though it hurts, but now she's holding me so close...that my face is buried in her awesome breasts :h: )"

:getout:

"Ryle Dono? Is your head injury getting worse? Your face is now kind of weird~"

"I am born with such a face! Gotta problem with that?!"

"Kya! Sessha am so sorry."

"As your punishment, now I shall rest on your lap!"

wat :psyduck:

"T-That's kind of embarrasing...Sessha can't last for seconds!"

"No! It's a punishment for insulting me you know!"

:suicide:

"This too is a part of Kuno Ichi training...(~) But still...little embarrassing."

Let's just forget about all of this, and move on...

For some reason, there are a few traps here. And of course, I walk directly into them. :)

A few steps down the hall, things happen...

"Waitta sec~ But you are dead already!!"

"We are finished if he comes right at us now! Let's call Orubia for help."

"And Fina...nah forget it~ She has quite many weaknesses..sea sick, ghost phobia, what next?"

You forgot the A-cup angst :colbert:

Changing my loving party again...

"Mm~ I'll try my best not to."

"(Which means she might run away again?)"

"Cut the chatter!"

"He's a wandering soul. My sword can't cut him! Orubia..can't you do something?"

"He's...not moving by the Dark Wave, but by his own will so powerfully attached to that sword he's holding! So if we can cut off its source..."

"Cutting off person's "will"?"

"I'll try to seal off the sword by using the Magical Octagram. Then you have to shatter that sword to free his soul!"

"But...I can't move while using the Magical Octagram, so you have to protect me from his attacks."

"Must protect Orubia and keep her alive!"

This fight isn't really tough. The samurai hits hard, but with some buff spells it's no real issue. The only danger is when he attacks Orubia a lot. Because her magic thing has a downside...

"Orubia!!"

"Break..the sword quick!!"

She'll get hit with that every two rounds, so it can become a problem. But my party is in a good shape and handles this encounter with ease. Aside from the usual spoils, he also drops a new armor for Caris. It's nothing special though. Orubia also levels and learns better healing and water attack skills.

"Now how's that!?"

".....You are the worthy one...take my soul....I shall become the tiger hunting for dragons..."

"A Katana!?"

:woop:

"I am honored to accept your gift."

"I did all the hard work, but only Dear Ryle is getting rewards? Not fair!"

"But I didn't know~"

"You better pay my wage, OR ELSE!"

"Ok! Let's get going!"

"Hmm! Only good for you~ Not fair~"

"Eek!!....Not again..."

"What the?"

"Kya! Dear Ryle! Are you alright?"

"It looks...like I am not fine~ (God I was in a nice mood! But not for long...)"

Ryle's new sword and move are legit awesome, but I'm going to show it in the next update. For now, let's keep going through the mine a bit more, and then close this.

"Tsk! An empty...Holy sh-!!"

"THAT was close~"

"Ryle, I noticed that you've been hit by rocks too often."

"The place...might collapse any time!"

"(What about me? Don't you care at all~)"

"......"

"...Still too slow."

"Wa! Not again!"

"Urgggggg...No more, I'm gonna die here~"

Hmm, I wonder what we're supposed to do here.. :downs:

"Once it reaches maximum velocity, then no problem!"

"Are we allowed to do this? I mean the place is owned by the elves and breaking their property..."

"We can't just sit here and do nothing and the capital will eventually pay for all the damages anyway."

"You thief!"

"We...we can't just keep breaking the law like this!"

"You guys are such a!!..Ok you got better plans? Let me hear it!"

"Oops!!"

"......"

"Then help me out!!"

The cart trucks on....

..and for some reason explodes?

"We did it."

:regd08:

"......What the...What did I do wrong?"

"It's very obvious the impact may cause rocks to fall you dummy."

"I am nor sure if Dear Ryle can survive this trip..."

After following the tracks for a bit...

...we find this.

The chest holds a new armor for Hayami. At this point, I also take a look at the equipment status of my party, and shuffle some things around and bring everyone in order. I think you can guess why I'm doing that. A savepoint and the Mail Dragon in one spot? Seems like some big stuff is coming!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well I thought this was kind of funny at least :colbert:

• Locked thread