Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I played this, like, ten years ago or so, but it's even more aggressively :japan: than I remember. Maybe I just have a lower tolerance these days...

:spergin: Looking at the code, it doesn't seem like the choices in the beginning influence relationships. Rather, they alter your starting stats, equipment and abilities a bit.

Surrender: +1 HP and Agility
Intimidate: +1 Mind and Attack
Escape: +1 MP and Defence

Any place: +1 MP and Agility
Rest: +1 HP and Attack
Scout: +1 Mind and Defence

Test myself: Learn Meditation, +1 HP and Defence, equip Survival Knife, Leather Armour, and Bandanna
To explore: Learn Vision Stance, +1 Agility and Attack, equip Short Sword, Clothe, and Bandanna
For the mission: Learn DKI Charge, +1 MP and Mind, equip Survival Knife, Clothe, Wrist Band, and Bandanna

If you skip the questions, you get the Short Sword, Clothe, Wrist Band and Bandanna, but no stat bonuses and no skill, which is probably the most interesting thing about this part.

Meditation: "Breathing technique to boost offense & defense." Base power 10, some variance.
Vision Stance: "Boosts agility & defense by extended sense." Base power 10, slightly influenced by Mind, some variance.
DKI Charge: "Boosts offense, defense, & agility by this stance." Base power 5.

The fact that Mind influences Vision Stance would seem to make it the best choice as it'll scale throughout the game.

I may have a problem. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, grinding! In RPG Maker! :suicide:

If you're willing to cheat a little, back up your install, then replace the file RPG_RT.ldb in the game folder with this one. You should then get BP after every battle, which ought to speed things up a bit.

It should be entirely safe since it's just a tiny edit of the check for how many battles you've fought, and it worked perfectly when I tested it - but like I said, do create a backup if you use it. I'd just copy the entire folder, personally, so you have an entirely untouched version in case this causes the game to choke on its own intestines for whatever reason.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GreatRedSpirit posted:

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/109/

Neat! Didn't know that was possible. But yeah, that's definitely going to make it easier. Keep in mind a lot of events tend to be triggered by walking on specific tiles though, and it's easy to miss them if you're running around inside the walls.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Now, if you could also mess with the chance for that lucky bonus. :allears:

We certainly could! It'd be easy to make it trigger more often (the code is "generate random number from 0-4; give bonus if 0"), or I could just make it hand out more points, or even both. Pick your poison!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus points all day, every day!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:pseudo: Vipers actually can't poison you.

Also, some further digging reveals that if you went with the elf instead, she threatens to freeze Ryle solid if he does something during the night, and eventually puts up a force field so he can't do anything. Oh, and the field is so big it keeps him squished flat against the wall for the rest of the night. Comedy!

You also don't get a choice before fighting the boss.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Keep it, of course! Making things less awkward would be going against the spirit of the game.

On that note though, does the word "sessha" even work in Japanese? I have this notion that it's a Ye Olde kinda thing. Would it stick out as much in modern Japanese as thee and thou in modern English?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Welcome to the :science: corner!

Slime Island is indeed real, and so is the Slime Queen. It's located straight east of the Delstar Residence

Traps are random. The ones in the forest roll a number from 0-6 and will be blocked on a 2 or higher. Don't know if the difficulty will change later, but I didn't feel like hunting down another map with traps on it and finding out.

The second sword is added right before the scene where she cuts the rocks. I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to equip the sword you just got, but it points to a completely different entry instead. poo poo happens! Though I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed by now.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of RPGs try very hard to be serious, so I don't really mind one being silly and juvenile. It's kind of refreshing.

Also, I like Hayami's :ssh: portrait. :haw:

The Yucky Icky Meringue or whatever isn't quite as inaccurate as it looks from the description - it has a 60% hit rate. Still seems to unreliable to be useful, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

No, no, the joke is B-ball.

...I would definitely play a game where you vanquish evil with your holy sword Bad Grammar.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

right after that person left the capital

That person :argh:

It's always that person.

Man, that person is such a dick.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why, but I can't dislike the characters in this game.

Let Orubia get in on the fun (and traps).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Elves, man. Goddamn elves. :argh:

I checked and it turns out magical traps works much the same as the regular version - roll 0-6, success if 2+. You got really unlucky here!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I think so too. Mimics count as hidden monsters, as far as I remember.

Indeed they do! Hidden Crash will kill it and

Caris posted:

You picked the wrong GAL to pick a fight with!!

you get a little quip. And some experience points.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

Is there a story where the elves aren't complete and utter assholes?

No. None.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well I thought this was kind of funny at least :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nothing that I can find by looking at the Lavas maps. You'll be able to bring her souvenirs later in the game, though, so maybe that's what you're remembering?

(It's also possible she shows up in some other location at some point with a different script.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I am pretty awesome, aren't I :smuggo:

It's weird that you found nothing on slime island - there's supposed to be an x-rayable item there, and there shouldn't be any special conditions to get it.

But you don't have the character it's for yet anyway, so no hurry, I guess.

Anyway:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Bring the elf, Burnfist, and healer chick. Lavas cats only, newcomers :frogout:

I'll go with this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

This skill reduces attack&defense of a single target. So yay? :shrug:

Less yay. It only hits HP and DEF, not STR. I think it's a case of poor wording (as if anyone's surprised) rather than the skill being broken; "attacks" just means you attack the enemy, dealing damage.

However it does scale reasonably to strength, so it should be reasonably useful throughout the game.

Oh, and "some" HP = 150. Holy fuckballs, that fight must have taken forever.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:raise:

"Silence Disease" is as good an excuse to have a silent protagonist as any other, I guess. v:v:v

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Good catch! I wasn't aware that it's a legit reference. I checked the game out, and it's pretty rad tbh.

It's certainly anime enough to fit in!

:laugh:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely unrelated, though. It seems like a weird reference to make. But of course I'd have to reconsider if it turns out their neighbours were the Gradius Republic and the Thunderforce Kingdom.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You took the Lavas chicks last time, so bench them and roll with the new crew this time.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

In an unexpected twist, the protagonist dies halfway through the game and whichever party member you had the most affection points with takes over as main character!

...Well, I'd like to see it happen some day. :shrug:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

You ever played Chrono Trigger?

Yeah, but then I found the Chrono Trigger so it doesn't count.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 5, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Isn't that more a "generations of heroes" kind of thing where the kids take over the spotlight when they grow up? That seems less sudden and unexpected than what I was going for.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fairly sure there's an ending where you don't get the Chrono Trigger.

It's still not the same thing when you can just go and Dr. Who your way out of it. I was thinking something more permanent.

'sides, Crono wasn't much of a character to begin with. I was mostly happy to have room for someone with an actual personality.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Didn't Phantasy Star 3 do that too?

Yup. It's more "okay son, I'm busy running the country so this quest is all yours," not so much death mid-quest with someone else suddenly having to take over.

It's still an interesting concept, though I wish PS3 would have done more with it. (Actually having dialogue would have helped.)

...I guess the problem is you can't really recommend a game like that even if it does exist. "Oh hey, in Game X, the hero totally dies halfway through just like you wanted! Guess you don't need to play it now that I've spoiled the entire thing, though."

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shoulda played more to their strengths.

I'm pretty sure Golden Axe has more dialogue than some of the characters in PS3...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd go to church more often if we had a flying goddess of cutting. :haw:

Anyway: :science: How stat boosts and debuffs work depends on which version of RM you have. 2K (the engine RW uses) only allows direct stat manipulation, which as far as I can tell is permanent for the duration of the battle. (I've actually tested this for a good while - if these things wear off, it takes a very long time.)

In 2k3, they introduced stat manipulating status effects, which can be set to expire, either automatically or randomly after a certain amount of time. (It still has direct stat manipulation, as well.)

Manipulating stats is limited to halving to doubling them. So, depending on the skill and character, you may be able to stack a buff multiple times, or you may ram the cap in one casting.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
You're right, I was thinking solely of buffs.

thenightsshadow posted:

Just wanted to give you a friendly reminder to not raise the girls' affections too high; you'll want to showcase the "bad ending" if nobody gets a high enough attraction. If you need the numbers, I can provide them, and I'm sure a few others can provide those numbers as well.

As long as you know where it triggers, it probably isn't too had to just grab the scene out of the game through the editor.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I love how the party went into a dungeon, a villain appeared, and then a party member's mother showed up and beat him senseless.

It's a silly game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that's all surprisingly nice for Anime Fanfic: The Videogame. Though for some reason I didn't remember this part at all...

Tin Tim posted:

The gently caress is wrong with your mind, Ryle? :v:

Wouldn't it be easier to list the things that aren't wrong with it?

quote:

This new attack seems to just be a plain power-move. I haven't been able to find anything special to it.

That's about right. It can cause Bleeding, but that's just more damage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm gonna admit it. I laughed at "Why me :( "

The faces are fine, no complaints there.

Mehuyael posted:

Man, if only Orubia was playable we could finally have the full blue hair team. Oh well.

You fool! No man can handle that kind of power!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Because :japan: That's all you gonna get.

How can a game love :words: so much, and still resist explaining poo poo like this?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

: I had a normal life once.

:laffo:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I vaguely recall the melty business... pretty sure I found it just as dumb back then.

Anyway, :science: time!

If you picked Hayami, the game would have posted:

Ryle :
Hayami please help us out!

Hayami :
Roger! Count on me!

Ryle :
Hey, you didn't have to talk like an agent~

Hayami :
No it actually helps me to concentrate better.

Ryle :
Ok, then do it as you would like.

> Hayami chanted the spell perfectly.

Ryle :
Wow! You did it!
That barrier is gone!

Hayami :
Some how I made it, the words were kind of hard to pronounce.

Ryle :
Really? But you sounded so smooth...

Hayami :
Well...not exactly that good. It was the first time for me.

Ryle :
But you did an excellent job.

Hayami :
Thank you very much.

Ryle :
You didn't have to be that formal...

:shrug:

I think it said somewhere early on that FLARE written in all caps refers to the creator. Don't remember when or where though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

Burnfist, ConspiracyNinja and...sigh...fine, Fina/Mary Sue, whatever.

I'm with this guy, no need to be too mean after all those tigers and wolves.

I don't actually remember the minigame at all, but then again I probably just cheated to get around anything that annoyed me. It's the only way I play RPG maker games. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I love to read a lot of words! :swoon:

They're usually different words, though. :negative:

It is a nice scene, though. More RPG characters need to argue and fight rather than just stand around looking depressed.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I was going to say something, but

chaos rhames posted:

the ability of this game to mix terrible fantasy poo poo with terrible anime poo poo will never stop being incredible.

someone else already did :saddowns:

Anyway,

quote:

I found this far funnier than I probably should.

Hayami's new single target attack may be weak, but it is also a mind debuff! Mind affects both magic damage output and defence, so it should still be pretty handy on stuff like bosses with way too many HP.

Shuriken poisons and debuffs agility, which is probably less useful since poison will rarely stick even on the bosses that can be affected by it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Maximum :japan: achieved.

It was all worth it for this moment. :swoon:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Or use your wizard skills and look into the game :v:

You raaang? :zombie:

...But no, really, there's nothing special about it. It does deal Ancient-type damage, however, so I guess if you fight something that's strong against physical attacks it might be worth it?

The Demon's Whip, by the way, inflicts shock... 5% of the time. Yeah.

The ability to go nuts for no reason is a pretty handy skill to have. But then again, so is the ability to shredder people into pieces. I'd have been okay with just taking the winner of the battle, even if it were the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I kinda fell behind on this and missed the whole... final dungeon and climactic battles and all, but fortunately managed to catch up just in time. Thanks for the thread and for not letting the anime win - it was fun seeing this game again, even if I'm not quite as impressed with it now as I was the first time. I don't remember that much from back then (it was many years ago) but I definitely remember seeing Lucitta's ending.

I don't envy you having to go through the last parts multiple times, but...

Tin Tim posted:

"You two are the WORST couple I've ever seen~"

...I'm sure it was totally worth it. :lol:

• Locked thread