Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
B-B-B-BURNFIST and other people I guess. Latyss can come too I like her a bit.

Also, Fina's mom is pretty rad. I like her. Can we swap Delstars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Latyss, Burnfist, and Hayami. Only the interesting characters, thanks. :colbert:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Burnfist, Latyss and your choice, but how could you choose someone not named burnfist?

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Caris, Latyss, and Hayami sounds good to me

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't care who you bring except don't bring Fina. So, I guess that's a negative vote.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Burnfist, Latyss, Hayami

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I am pretty awesome, aren't I :smuggo:

It's weird that you found nothing on slime island - there's supposed to be an x-rayable item there, and there shouldn't be any special conditions to get it.

But you don't have the character it's for yet anyway, so no hurry, I guess.

Anyway:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Bring the elf, Burnfist, and healer chick. Lavas cats only, newcomers :frogout:

I'll go with this.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
:science: time!

Alright, so now Fina's dad's name is revealed. Rain Delstar. He was the fourth party member you got in the game, and quite plainly, one of the insanely adaptive ones. He tended to learn new spells during battles. He would always take a spell that he knew and change some attributes about it to better fit the situation, and the popularity of that feature is what got that spread around to a lot more characters than just two in the sequel.

Rain was a "mere soldier" and got the opportunity to work with Flare on a mission early on. While Flare was definitely the main character, the game had a nice touch and put you in charge of the veterans instead. Who are those veterans? I'll cover them later.

But needless to say, over time, Rain and Flare fell in love, and got married. Well, sort of. They didn't really have a complete wedding ceremony, ever. Mahzoks attacked the only time they attempted to, and a short time later, various events occurred that kept them separate. Rain died before they could reunite, and it's partly why she suggested that she not partake in this mission.

I'll go into more details later when we get to a different part of the story, but suffice it to say this is part 1 of 4.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Burnfist, Orubia, and whoever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Bring Fina, so that she may vomit on your opponents, and Orubia The Elf girl (Latyss?), for her ancient Elf wisdom.

I don't like it when the game starts talking about its plot seriously and expects me to care - it's so dull and there aren't even funny typos to laugh at. Start being dumb again, game!

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 20, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Venetir posted:

Good luck! I for one am anticipating your return. Let us know if we can help!
Like, comment, and subscribe! :v:

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Glad to see that your technical difficulties aren't so difficult anymore.
I definitely can't record anything that's more complex than this game. :) It works, but the lag gives me some trouble with gifs for the time being.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Also I'd be happier if Fina wasn't in the game any more and hopefully not having her in the party will cut down on her dialogue.
Haha, you're gonna love the last leg of the game, where she is mandatory!

vilkacis posted:

It's weird that you found nothing on slime island - there's supposed to be an x-rayable item there, and there shouldn't be any special conditions to get it.
Wow, that's why I'm glad that you are itt. :respek:

I swear I used X-ray vision, but maybe my eyes glanced over it, or I was in a weird angle? Whatever, I'll fix that in a jiffy.

Thanks!

Szurumbur posted:

Start being dumb again, game!
This x2

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Whoops

As it turns out, my eyes aren't working right and I missed something during the last update.

There actually is a hidden item on the Slime Island. No idea why I didn't see it when looking around myself? More kudos to vilkacis for telling me about it.

This item is for the next girl that we are going to meet. Feel free to speculate what type she may be. :tinfoil:

Also

this is what Fina looks like when she's in the boat. Her status will actually make her lose a bit of Hp every round when you get into sea fights. :barf:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 19, 2013

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Her status actually keeps her from participating in any sea battles. :barf:

I swear she got off one attack out of several hundred tries, but this could be just memory recollection failure, as the supposed success came during my first run.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

thenightsshadow posted:

I swear she got off one attack out of several hundred tries, but this could be just memory recollection failure, as the supposed success came during my first run.
I double checked it, and it seems like she can fight fine after all. She does lose a bit of Hp every round though. Well, I guess these mistakes happen when you post stuff while being on the go. :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ugh this is not how you handle plot revelations. Show the queen doing evil things. Get some conversations which talk about how she was distant and different lately. Talk about the rules of magic in this universe. You can't just drop these grenades and run.
I mean it's refreshing that Ryle is competent, but not if these revelations leave the audience in the dust. The player feels cheated that this information was withheld from him. Not to mention annoyed in a "is there anything ELSE you aren't sharing with the class, Ryle?" way.

Anyone else have a really hard time telling Fina and Flare's character portraits apart?

Papstr
Oct 9, 2012
My vote goes to Burnfist, Latyss, and the remainder can be who you want.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I like how Fina has her super sea sickness expressed in game, even if it's just a simple change of graphic and a minor energy drain. It's a little bit of charm that I wouldn't expect to see in such a game, but there it is nonetheless.

Burnfist, Latyss, and Orobia, I guess I will go with that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yes right. Sesha thinks we should bring Hayami, Latyss and Orubia

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The gravestone only does its thing (with Fina) once you've been inside the house. Not for any real reason, it's not tied to anything you say in there.

nftyw posted:

I like how Fina has her super sea sickness expressed in game, even if it's just a simple change of graphic and a minor energy drain.
"It's the "Hyper! SEA SICK"!! Got that!?"

e:

Tin Tim posted:

I seriously have no idea what the last part of that sentence should tell us. :shrug:

It's meant to be about how that, as a halfling, Latyss is particularly concerned about this disrupting human/elven coexistence. Not sure what happened to the translation there.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 20, 2013

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Burnfist, Hayami, and Fina.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Caris, Latyss, and Orubia or bust!

Please stop me if I've said this before, but this game seems to be a bit inconsistent in its quality at times, as others have pointed out. There's several nice touches, such as the changed icon and health drain for Fina when you're at sea, and then you've got the... less well done parts, like the Queen being the villain (which sort of came out of nowhere). It almost feels like the creator paid more attention to some parts and just skimmed over others.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
You also have to add onto the fact that rm2kfanboy touched up some areas that needed touching up and some areas that didn't. Both he and Flare are to blame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SSNeoman posted:

Ugh this is not how you handle plot revelations. Show the queen doing evil things. Get some conversations which talk about how she was distant and different lately. Talk about the rules of magic in this universe. You can't just drop these grenades and run.
I mean it's refreshing that Ryle is competent, but not if these revelations leave the audience in the dust. The player feels cheated that this information was withheld from him. Not to mention annoyed in a "is there anything ELSE you aren't sharing with the class, Ryle?" way.

The sad thing is, we're probably going to get a decent bit of show as soon as we get there. It's like they're aggressively stamping down on any idea that Ryle might be mistaken or misled.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Anyone else have a really hard time telling Fina and Flare's character portraits apart?
Yeah, I was a bit woried about that. Especially when they talk to each other, the faces look very much alike. But I can't really help it, so welp.

I did the math and here are the results.

Caris - 15

Latyss - 13

Orubia - 7

Hayami - 6

Fina - 3

It was close, but the Lavas crew is going into the castle. Suck it, noobs :v:

E:

You may have chosen poorly

:ohdear:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 25, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Castle Crashers

Since we now have a new base, the girls will mill around the house while not being in your party. Most of them do not have anything interesting to say, but Fina and Latyss do.

Fina will quickly cook you a meal, that heals all Hp&Mp. But it only works if she isn't in your party.

Let's check on Latyss..

Neeeeerd :v:

Well okay, maybe those books are interesting?

Oh, that's something not nerdy at all!

"...Hmm....Maybe I should get more level-ups."

Kinda weird, since my Ryle is definitely ahead of the curve. But no worries, I'll get that skill at the end of this update. I also forgot to capture something here. The mirror in the top left of the house, is actually a good shield that you can pick up. But you can also buy it, and I did before remembering that it's there. The little scene for it is also not interesting, so gently caress it.

Here you can see the rest of the gang and Flare. But they really don't have anything interesting to say.

Okay, there is a bit of content to find before we enter the castle, so let's finish that first. I pick Caris, Fina and Orubia for my current party.

First, we go back into the house..

"I swear there's something around here...I can smell it!"

"There!!"

"So mom hide the money in here! I can have some extra money for travel expenses!"

Remember kids, stealing from your parents is really cool!

Woops!

"Wh-What is it? Mom...(Eek~ Bad omen~)"

"Fina..."darling"?.."

"I put 2000 Gold into that chest inside, now I can't find them. Have you seen it?"

I guess she knows because of her super-powers?

"Eek! *gulp* "

Of course, Ryle will do the right thing.

"Lady Flare, please listen to me. Although what Fina did was wrong, please understand she did it for us. We shouldn't let her steal in the first place."

"So could you forgive Fina, and punish me instead?"

"Ryle..."

"...Ok then, I'll let her go this time and you can use that money for traveling."

"Thank you very much ma'am. I'll make sure the money is spent for good use."

"Fina. You should thank Ryle this time."

"Um...yes I will."

"Thanks Ryle. I shouldn't have lay my hands on mom's allowance..."

"You helped us so much back in Factoria, and didn't get any proper reward..."

"Because of me you didn't even get recognized for your courageous deeds."

"Oh you didn't have to say that. Anyone with rightous mind would have done the same."

"I'm glad you would think it that way."

This conversation should have ended after Fina's thanks to Ryle, but that would imply good writing, so nope! But we have the money, Fina gets two points of love, and all is well.

Polsy pointed out, that Fina does have a reaction after you have settled into Flare's house. Interacting with this will give you a look into the story of Fina's parents, and how Flare defeated CHAOS. This part is a bit long, so I'm not going to include it in this update. I'll make a separate update for it in a day or two, so that the people who don't care can skip it easily.

Okay, let's explore the area around Flare's house for a bit.

This is the only new enemy type I encountered here, and it's just an upgrade of the yellow spiders we saw in the early stages of the game.

West from Flare's house, is Landers Market.

This town is mainly a market, but there are a few things that you can discover here.

Let's start with shopping!

There are a few neat shields and armor pieces here, and I upgrade the whole gang. The Crystal Shield is actually the one that was used as a mirror in Flare's house, jfyi. The Dark Sabre is for Caris, but it's weaker than the wind-sword she is using. I got it from the Vp quest line, so it's going to stay good for a while.

This is a pretty neat item, and I equip most of the girls with it. A flat 20% chance to resist a bunch of effects is nothing to scoff at.

Let's hit the bar

"But I don't see one!?"

"Sometimes she has to perform overseas, so I'm looking forward to her return *smile*"

A few people talk about the missing bunny girl. This sure is a quest, but it will pop up later.

I also happen to know, that there is a scene for Orubia in this town.

"Umm..you are~"

"Let me introduce myself." *handed a small card*

" "Idol Records Human Resource Dept." Scout Agent Mr. Mantarrow?"

"Please call me Tarrow!"

"Then you better correct your name on your business card."

"Oh, it's none of your business pal!"

"(...!!)"

"So what is your name?"

"Orubia A-Aquary~"

"(You naive girl! Don't simply tell him just because he asked!)"

"Straight to the topic! Would you wanna become the next teenage sensation? A popular idol!"

"Ehhhhh~! But I don't know!"

"You gonna be a HUGE star! And you'll be surrounded by men 100 times better than the guy NEXT you!! I guarantee it! I'm sure you don't want a fashion-sense zero loser like him hanging around you ALL the time, right? *wink* Someone as cute as you does not deserve a total muscle brain like him...I feel so sad for you *frown*"

Ryle has the proper reaction towards Mr. Jerkface.

"(This SOB! My Togahzan will shut his mouth alright!)"

"Now you've gone too far! Please watch out what you're saying!"

"Huh?"

"Maybe that's true for other girls, but to me he is a very important friend since my childhood."

Only true friends can compliment and insult you at the same time :v:

"Orubia..."

"I appreciate your wonderful offer, but I don't want to become an idol. I am very sorry."

"You can't just give up so easily! After you become the star, everybody will worship you like a goddess!"

"I like myself right now. Please don't waste your energy."

"Tsk! *snaps finger* Oh well, even if I force you now, it won't last long..But remember it's the opportunity of lifetime!"

"I won't regret. Thank you for understanding!"

Leaving aside how a pop-star would actually work in this world, I think that Idol business is a real thing in Japan, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that they are crazy about young female pop-stars.

"Whew~That was close..."

"Are you sure about this? He wasn't lying about your chance of success, you know?"

"So you still think I am dragging everyone behind?"

The second response, is the right choice here.

"What are you talking about!? Calm down, you were out of control back there."

"I wanted you to refuse the offer~"

"I can't be with you all the time you know! Sometimes you have to make the choice by yourself when I am not around. They'll take advantage of you if you don't look out for yourself! Like back there."

"Mm...I will."

"Actually I didn't back you up to see if you were really determined about this mission."

"You mean?"

"Sooner or later you will face the tough choices, and I really want to know if you're up to the task."

"Dear Ryle..."

"And I was glad to hear you saying that I am an important person to you."

"Ah...."

"To be honest, I wanted to see you as an idol with all that daring outfits Hehe.."

Joke or random perv-moment? You decide! :saddowns:

"You always act that way..."

"Huh?"

"And still dumb..."

"Hmm?"

"Nothing~"

"Don't worry Dear Ryle. You can count on me."

Att 22 >>> 25

Around here, you can also find a scene for Fina. But it's kinda weird because it does not behave like all the other scenes so far.

:mmmhmm:

"Kyaaaaa!"

Ka-pow!

"Argggggggggg!!"

"What you think you're doing!? Old pervert-!!"

"I....I have few years left and how could you treat an elder like this!"

"How dare you to say that after violating the symbol of my innocence! You shall live only 5 seconds!"

"Noooo!!"

And that's it. It's just weird to me that this scene has no effect or real ending, as you can just repeat it over and over by talking to the grandpa. :shrug:

We are done with Landers Market for now, and while there is another town in the area, it also deals with Flare's backstory so I'll include it in the next update. It's time to tackle that castle, and this town has a sweet segway for me.

This lady is on the top floor of the Inn, and the item she mentions can actually be found in the castle. But sadly, she does not react to you finding it.

Apparently, she's also schizophrenic because there is nobody else in this room. :v:

:rms:

The door is blocked, and both paths will lead to the same destination. However, you can only take the right path if you have Latyss in your party. There is a wind barrier there, and only she can dispel it. There is nothing special on that path, so it's just something that is there.

Also

There are magical traps around. And Orubia did a stellar job again, and disabled none of them. :effort:

The left path leads up to the second floor...

..and to a chest.

:toot:

This is a pretty great weapon for Orubia, and also brings some good stat boosts.

The animation is also :black101:

Speaking of animations, did I ever show the animation for Latyss' staff that she got during the elven-tri? I don't think so, so here it is anyway.

The opposition in here, is mostly made up from enemies that we have already seen. Nothing really dangerous, and the few new encounters also don't pose much of a threat.

The Witch can shoot darkness clouds at you, and the Robber is a melee guy that likes to flee.

Those guys probably have some magic, but refused to use it against me. However, they will recover 50Hp at the start of every round, which makes them a bit annoying to fight.

I also want to point out that Orubia learned this skill on the way. It'll raise people with a bit of Hp, and it will actually become very important really soon. :tinfoil:

Okay, the path we took earlier leads to the only interesting thing on the second floor - the throne room.

However, it's totally empty! And figuring out how you can advance is a bit tricky.

There is a hidden staircase behind this curtain. :ssh:

Down we go...

..and find a savepoint. Ya'll know what that means, right?

"I better "SAVE" before going any further."

Yeah, you better do. I'm not joking, the following boss fight can be hard as gently caress.

"Mm!? Something's coming!!"

Say hello to the Dark Crimson - optional boss and king of assholes :argh:

Okay, real-talk. I made this fight harder on myself by letting you guys choose the party. And I'm also fighting him much earlier than I should. You're meant to tackle him past Lv20, while Ryle is at 18, and the girls are like 15 or something. I mostly did this because the previous bosses have been pretty underwhelming so far, and I wanted to show you something challenging. Don't get me wrong, he's still tough at later levels, but a more experienced party is better at tanking some of his regular hits. Well, let's just see how this plays out...

On his first round, the Crimson spits fire at my party...

..and kills Latyss. Now, I made a small mistake and didn't heal up before fighting him, but Latyss is just really weak against his fire. Like, he's almost able to kill her every time he uses that attack. For comparison, Caris will resist most of the damage, and the others take a fair bit of damage. But Latyss is just hosed in this fight, even with defense buffs from other members. Orubia was almost on constant healing/raising duty :ohdear:

The Crimson also has regeneration at the start of his round.

I got pretty annoyed by the word "some" here. Since he has a ton of Hp, it's hard to say how much he recovers, and if you even make any progress over that.

Things really don't go in my favor at all. See, a big problem is that the Crimson is faster than any of my members, and if he decides to use his fire two times in a row, Orubia will die before being able to heal. I also don't do great damage to him. Ryle's tiger move clocks in at 200-250, Orubia and Latyss can do something like 50-70, but Caris' fire skills are completely useless. Her melee attack is also kinda crap against the Crimson, so I had her throw items at her friends for most of the fight.

The fire is already kinda bullshit, but I haven't even begun to show why the Crimson is such an rear end in a top hat. He has many more dick moves up his sleeve. :qq:

His regular melee attack hits twice in a row, so multiply that damage by two.

He can also leech health from you.

How about toxic fumes that hurt and maybe poison everyone?

Latyss has a group skill for poison, but things are still drat tough.

And here is the major dick move the Crimson has..

A group attack that has a chance to instantly kill any of your party members :stare:

This move is pretty awful, and now you can understand why Orubia's new raise skill became so drat important. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to beat this boss without it. I also didn't plan on getting it, so yay for Orubia and me being lucky. I never thought that I'd be happy about having Orubia around :)

This fight was long, and obviously hard. I came real close to being defeated a few times, and actually pondered to start over and prepare a bit more. But I figured that would be boring, so I endured this rear end in a top hat to the bitter end.

:woop:

You also get 10Vp for beating him, and all the girls gain two attraction points.

The major reward for fighting him early, is the big chunk of Xp.

Everyone shot up by like four levels, except for Orubia. Why? Well you see, the Crimson used the Death Blast in his last round and only killed Orubia. And dead characters do not gain Xp at the end of a fight. I was pretty mad about that, but not mad enough to replay the fight. Even in his last moments, he managed to be an rear end in a top hat :argh:

But let's not mope about this, because now is treasure time!

This is a book for Ryle, but he needs more level-ups before he can read it.

This will teach a very strong group attack to a girl of your choice. But here is the thing, the attribute of the skill is "Ancient". This is the attribute that Fina and Flare use for their super moves, and quite useful in the late stages of the game. So I'm going to stash that book for a while, and think about who to use it on later. Maybe I'll make a vote for it? We'll see.

And this is why we came here, the Triumph Grail!

As the description says, you can feed it VPs and then items will come out of it. Let's see what we can make..

Three different spell books.

Some sweet armor pieces.

A ring, stat booster, and love potions. This is actually how I'll be unlocking all of the endings. I'll just drug the girls to move all of them past their thresholds. :mrapig:

I invest some points, and create a copy of each spell book.

For five Vp, this teaches the skill to transfer your Mp to another person. I don't find that to be useful, so I'm not going to make more copies.

This also costs five Vp, and teaches a personal barrier that resists Holy, Dark, and Ancient damage. Very good for the later stages of the game, and I'll teach it to all of the girls.

And this spell costs eight Vp, and heals your group from all bad effects while also restoring a bit of Hp. Pretty good, but Latyss also has something similar, so I'm not sure if I need more copies.

Well, that's basically it for this time, but remember that book Ryle couldn't read at the beginning of this update?

He can do it now!

This skill reduces attack&defense of a single target. So yay? :shrug:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 29, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh gently caress me that is a munchkin's dream come true. Grind out points to get numbers and then use optional points to get more numbers? :fap:
Of course grinding VPs must be tedious as poo poo, especially since they have a percent chance of dropping in the vanilla game.

Is that armor any good? Or is it just "awesome for my current level"?

quote:

Does it work on bosses?
>YES
Useful. Regardless how much it takes off.
>NO
Trash.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

This skill reduces attack&defense of a single target. So yay? :shrug:

Less yay. It only hits HP and DEF, not STR. I think it's a case of poor wording (as if anyone's surprised) rather than the skill being broken; "attacks" just means you attack the enemy, dealing damage.

However it does scale reasonably to strength, so it should be reasonably useful throughout the game.

Oh, and "some" HP = 150. Holy fuckballs, that fight must have taken forever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Leaving aside how a pop-star would actually work in this world, I think that Idol business is a real thing in Japan, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that they are crazy about young female pop-stars.

Let's put it this way. Remember all the freak out about Miley Cyrus twerking?

Yeah, if an idol did that, she'd be getting death threats. They are slightly obsessed over there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Let's put it this way. Remember all the freak out about Miley Cyrus twerking?

Yeah, if an idol did that, she'd be getting death threats. They are slightly obsessed over there.

I am actually curious about this. Can anyone elaborate on what that's all about?

I kind of find the idea of idols to be creepy as hell, at least from a naive outside perspective. I mean you have your hole life under a magnifying glass and you have to pretend real life is an anime. At least, that's the impression I get from Japanese media and goon anecdotes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Of course grinding VPs must be tedious as poo poo, especially since they have a percent chance of dropping in the vanilla game.

Is that armor any good? Or is it just "awesome for my current level"?
Yes, grinding Vps is awful. They'll always drop after a set number of fights, four or five iirc, but it's random if you get one or more. The bonus is kinda rare, so don't grind for Vps if you value your sanity.

The armor pieces are actually good, and pretty much rank among the best items in the game. There is stuff that outclasses them, but it kinda depends on what resistances you want. They are also not expensive at all, and using the grail early can break the game a bit. :v:

vilkacis posted:

Less yay. It only hits HP and DEF, not STR. I think it's a case of poor wording (as if anyone's surprised) rather than the skill being broken; "attacks" just means you attack the enemy, dealing damage.

However it does scale reasonably to strength, so it should be reasonably useful throughout the game.

Oh, and "some" HP = 150. Holy fuckballs, that fight must have taken forever.
Oh hey, that's good to know. Yeah, the description talks about attack&defense, so it's probably a mistake.

And yeah, the fight fight with the Crimson took quite a while. I was doing like 200-300 per round. But I brought it on myself, so who am I to complain about it? :)

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
This castle. I completely missed it on my first run, unlocked it but couldn't find it on my second and third run, and just wandered aimlessly until I found it by accident without it unlocked on my fourth run. Of course, I was at the end game when I did unlock it, so...yeah.

The Shoko no Sho skill (T********) is invaluable for handling a later boss if you don't get a hold of the boss' gimmick.

Barrier Field is amazing and nearly game breaking later on. Resisting Ancient is ridiculous.

---

A bit more story time. Tim Tan mentioned it, but yes, Flare will be playable. Those who have played the older game will notice a few nostalgic references when you look at her equipment and spells. I'll point them out in more detail when that happens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are there any level caps on the scrolls for non-Ryle moves, or can they just go to whoever?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How Flare Got Her Groove Back

The hint tells you that this will lead to a scene for Fina, but that's pretty obvious, right?

"Is this?"

"Mm...My dad's tomb. Hero Rain Excellize."

Haha, your dad has a dumb-rear end name! :v:

"Excellize? You mean the Excellize of "Old Gaiares Empire"!?.."

"Dad's older brother was the emperor of "Gaiares Empire"..Emperor Zeskar Excellize. And my aunt is his wife...Empress Catyss Delstar."

"Frankly your background is quite impressive."

"But you are a prince right? I think your royal background is as impressive as mine!"

"But how did your father die?"

"Dad had many sickness since he was little. But the direct cause of his death was Leukemia, and he had another problem."

Okay, what? In a world of magic&demons, you kill a major hero character with Leukemia? Really?! :stare:

"Dad had "Silence Disease"."

That makes it all different, I guess? Welp, let's just see where this goes.

"You mean the disease which your body get in shock or even paralyzed when you force yourself to speak?"

"Mom challenged CHAOS and failed miserably after she just became the Sacred Dragoon. She lost her total confidence and fell into very deep depression. She almost gave it up. And dad forced himself to talk, in order to comfort her and get her out of the slump...Even when his throat started bleeding, dad never stopped encouraging mom to fight."

As a word of warning, the following sequence is very :japan:

"You mean right after she became the Sacred Dragoon?"

"Because releasing her full power was too dangerous. It could destroy the entire world. So mom had to go to other dimension where she could fight CHAOS with everything she got."

"That STRONG!? You gotta be kiddin me..."

"The final battle between mom and CHAOS took place in the Astral Realm...The place where Mahzoks originally came from."

"Hm! DRACONIC BUSTER-! Let's GO!....OMEGAAA WAVE-!!"

Lag prevented me from turning this into a gif, sorry!

She basically shoots a big energy ball at CHAOS.

"!? Huh!?"

"HA! Your power as Saint Dragoon is pathetic! You are no match for me with the immature Dragon Gene which you just got from Sentinel!!"

It's pretty weird that CHAOS does not have a face icon, with being the main evil in this game and all. Also, take note of the name "Sentinel". It's another figure from Flare's past, and apparently gave her the Dragoon powers, or something. I'm not actually sure if the game ever touches upon that again, but thenightsshadow can probably educate us if it doesn't come up again.

"It can't be! My OMEGA WAVE is the ultimate magic and the full blast can even destroy a planet!!"

"It's no use!! No matter how powerful the attack, my DIMENSIONAL BARRIER simply warp the energy into other time and space! Nothing in this world can touch me or even harm me!! HooWaHahaha!!"

"I can't! As long as that barrier is around, my attacks will be bounced off to somewhere else..."

"!?"

"Why...are...you......So.... *cough! cough!* weak...hearted....."

"The voice!? Rain!? Is that you speaking? But you can't talk!! Not only that, I am in another dimension. There's no way Rain's voice can reach here..."

"Never...give up!! Flare I know..wouldn't give up hope! She's...that kind of...girl!"

"That's..who you are....and...what you really are! FLARE DELSTAR!!"

"But...I can't think of any ways to defeat CHAOS."

"But you're still alive!! You can continue on fighting as long as you live, and you shall win!!"

"I have faith in Flare!! I believe you can...defeat CHAOS!! I just know it for sure!!!"

"Rain..."

"You must win and come back to...ME!"

"Yes I will Rain!! I'll use all I got to destroy CHAOS!!"

The power of love..it's so moving :qq:

"You little girl just never give up!! DIE! Saint Dragoon!!"

"CHAOS' power is rising rapidly!!!"

"DIE! FLARE!! OMEGAAA CLUSTER-!!!"

CHAOS just nukes the poo poo out of everything :supaburn:

"........!? What!?"

".....TELEPORT! I did it! The blast of OMEGA CLUSTER has been warped off!!"

Yay for plot devices! :woop:

"You were able to warp the massive energy of my OMEGA CLUSTER into thin AIR!!!?"

"Even I can do DIMENSIONAL BARRIER you know!"

"(However, is there any way I can penetrate CHAOS' barrier?)"

"(!!Penetrating different time and space?..There IS! I know only 1 way!! Atom particles!! They are even smaller than the magical energy! Spell barriers can't deflect them! If I can use these atom particles as projectiles with enough power to damage CHAOS thru the barrier!)"

And here we have it, the ultimate Macguffin in the game - atom particles powered by magic or something. Weird but canon :psyduck:

"I'll give everything I got on...this ONE shot! Listen to my prayer. The source of all the energy in this universe, grant me the power!!"

Bam! Super Saiyajin out of nowhere...

"What is THIS!? A harmonic wave!? I feel the whole space around Flare is being pulled into her!!"

"C...O...S...M...OS...ETERNAL-!!"

The animation is the same as before, except that is has four balls of energy.

"Impossible!! HOW can she penetrate my barrier!!?"

"No more DIMENSIONAL BARRIER."

"WHAT!?"

"My COSMOS ETERNAL is made of atom particles, the smallest unit of all things. It even penetrates your warp magic so you can't block with barrier."

"Atoms...! How can a weakling human like you can come up with such a power!?"

"Because I am a human."

"Just because you being a human!?"

"One human is weak indeed. That's why we humans help and support each other to live. I wasn't fighting alone. My loved ones, friends, any many other people...Because I got someone who gives me love and courage, I was able to sum up all their powers into one."

:wrongful:

"That's impossible! You are now standing at the other dimension! Nobody can possibly lend you any power!!"

"People's heart...can reach any place, even to the different world..."

No idea why she stopped glowing all of a sudden? But...

...CHAOS is hosed :sotw:

Probably?

"Rain...I finally did it! I...defeated CHAOS!!!"

"Flare..."

"A "galactic" scale spell!?"

"Dad overworked himself during the battle, and as the result his old illness got worse. Then it happened 2 years ago...His Leukemia caused his immune system to collapse later...If he didn't force himself to speak during the battle, he would've been standing right besides me now. But for his sacrifice, the world was saved. Daddy was very kind and gentle person. I cried a lot when he passed away..."

:smith:

"In fact, it was dad and mom fighting together, relying on each other..."

"This time it might be our turn. The Mahzoks have appeared on the surface again."

"So let us fight together. We should not go separate ways."

"You can count on it!"

Att 23 >>> 25

Welp, now you know! I mean, this story wasn't awful or something like that, it's just really Anime and drums on the tired theme of magical friendship/love powers. :shrug:

Okay, in the last update I also mentioned that there is another town in this area that relates to Flare's backstory.

This is Olbez, located north of Flare's house. It had some role during the war with the Mahzoks, and is still a wrecked place where not many folks live.

"This is where my parents first met during the Demonic War."

This is also a thing.

As said, it's kind of a lovely place.

There are a few NPCs around, but this is the only mention of what might have happened here.

So why are we even here?

Because of secrets :ssh:

There is a row of broken house at the top of the map, and only one can be entered.

Hmm, I wonder where this fabled secret could be?

Who could have guessed? :downs:

"BINGO!"

"*cough* *cough* The place's full of dust as usual!"

This leads us to a secret room with a chest.

"Hey Ryle, can I open it?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"Urp! Rusty air!"

"...."

"It's a...wedding ring..."

"A wedding ring?"

"For my parents' marriage."

"You mean your mom's?"

"Yes, of course!"

"But why a wedding ring is kept in such a place!?"

"Probably mom sealed her dream of marriage here."

"........"

"She would be happy during the wedding, but the reality constantly reminds her about dad's illness...I think it was too much for mom to bear with...so she couldn't have a formal marriage at the end..."

thenightsshadow told us why Rain and Flare never got married, jfyi.

thenightsshadow posted:

But needless to say, over time, Rain and Flare fell in love, and got married. Well, sort of. They didn't really have a complete wedding ceremony, ever. Mahzoks attacked the only time they attempted to, and a short time later, various events occurred that kept them separate. Rain died before they could reunite, and it's partly why she suggested that she not partake in this mission.

"Mm...*nod*"

"So what are you gonna do with the ring?"

"Of course I have to put it back. It's mom's after all."

"Why don't you wear it for her?"

"Eh? But people will see me strange if I wear it!"

"Because you are the child of these 2 heroes, and you know how it feels to lose someone very dear to you."

"You can't avoid the sadness all the time, but you must go thru sorrow past to reach happiness. I am sure Lady Flare would think the same!"

"But why do you think so?"

"If she really wanted to seal it for sad memory, she could've just thrown it away instead."

"Ryle..."

"And you better wear it to remind yourself not walking along the same path your mother had to go thru."

"Mm...I will wear it..."

:confuoot:

Att 25 >>> 28

Since Fina had so many events in this part of the game, she actually shot past Caris. I'll probably fix that with Love Potions before the next vote though. Caris is clearly the MVP for the thread, so I'd rather make sure that she shows up when the game starts to take attraction into account for the scenes.

Surprisingly, this ring can't be equipped, and is an event item. I honestly can't recall what you can do with it right now, so tell me if you know. No pressure though, I assume I'll find out/remember eventually.

Well, that's all the backstory stuff for now. If you can weigh in on any of this, thenightsshadow, please go ahead!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are there any level caps on the scrolls for non-Ryle moves, or can they just go to whoever?
Nah, I could just use it on any of the girls right now.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Tin Tim posted:

"Dad's older brother was the emperor of "Gaiares Empire"..Emperor Zeskar Excellize. And my aunt is his wife...Empress Catyss Delstar."

"Frankly your background is quite impressive."

That's what you meant when you said that the Mary Sue-ing was only going to get worse ?
The main hero complimenting the Mary Sue. All righty. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:raise:

"Silence Disease" is as good an excuse to have a silent protagonist as any other, I guess. v:v:v

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Am I the only one who finds it funny that each of the two Delstar sisters married an Excellize brother?

As for the writing...I dunno. I have a soft spot for shounen tropes, where friendship and guts triumph all, but here it's...feh. Just cast your spirit bomb and stop talking about atoms. That just brings up unnecessary questions.
Especially since atoms aren't the smallest particles :spergin:

The Leukemia is legit weird. Wouldn't an esuna clear that all up? Or is leukemia resistant to status-clearing magic? Are there other real world diseases, like Sickle Cell or Cholera? Are those also untreatable through magic?
See!? That raises even more questions!

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Oh boy, :science: time galore!

Tin Tim posted:

This is the best part, in my opinion, of the first game's reveals. Zeskar and Catyss are your main party members, and Flare is actually a third-string character. Rain would sometimes be the fourth wheel (actually third wheel, as Zeskar or Catyss would go on a different mission on most of the parties), but otherwise Flare was not the main character. Zeskar was in the first position, and would always be referred to as the hero of the story. As you now know, this ended up not being the case.

Tin Tim posted:

"Dad had many sickness since he was little. But the direct cause of his death was Leukemia, and he had another problem."

"Dad had "Silence Disease"."

"You mean the disease which your body get in shock or even paralyzed when you force yourself to speak?"

Worse. Rain had a bunch of issues. Among other things, Rain was born premature, his mom died giving birth to him. (Oh look, cliche!) He was sort of the outcast, and had to work to his position instead of just being granted it. However, he was an amazing fighter. He's a Magic Swordsman, which meant he not only could use some sword skills but also had spells. Every time that Flare would learn a new move, it took the influence of Rain to do so. Rain's moves, as I mentioned before, were amazingly versatile. One in particular I've always committed to memory whenever I do anything RPG-related is the moment that he and Flare were locked in a battle against a being that nullified their magic. Flare could still attack, but Rain was under the DEPRESS status condition, which not only meant he couldn't Heal but in that battle the boss started to seal all of his magic. As someone who like casting spells, Rain became DEPRESSED partway through the battle. However, he noticed that his newly learned Freeze Lancer spell wasn't being sealed, and he quickly deduced that because he had learned it so recently his opponent, who seemed to know everything about them, didn't know he had it. But he still had the anti-magic barrier on, so he quickly altered the statistics of his spell (that's how Rain describes it, seriously) and cast it to target the barrier. He then used a sword skill to destroy the barrier, allowing Flare to use her Valkyrie powers again.

And if you're wondering how he can still cast despite having Silence Disease...well, I don't know the exact answer to this question, but I presume that it's due to his sword. If that's true, then that truly explains why after it's broken, he no longer joins the party.

Tin Tim posted:

"Mom challenged CHAOS and failed miserably after she just became the Sacred Dragoon. She lost her total confidence and fell into very deep depression. She almost gave it up. And dad forced himself to talk, in order to comfort her and get her out of the slump...Even when his throat started bleeding, dad never stopped encouraging mom to fight."

The Mahzoks interrupted her wedding. She transforms into the Sacred Dragoon short after. Who else would she go after but CHAOS? Reckless girl.

Tin Tim posted:

As a word of warning, the following sequence is very :japan:

"You mean right after she became the Sacred Dragoon?"

"Because releasing her full power was too dangerous. It could destroy the entire world. So mom had to go to other dimension where she could fight CHAOS with everything she got."

"That STRONG!? You gotta be kiddin me..."

"The final battle between mom and CHAOS took place in the Astral Realm...The place where Mahzoks originally came from."

"Hm! DRACONIC BUSTER-! Let's GO!....OMEGAAA WAVE-!!"

Lag prevented me from turning this into a gif, sorry!

She basically shoots a big energy ball at CHAOS.

"!? Huh!?"

"HA! Your power as Saint Dragoon is pathetic! You are no match for me with the immature Dragon Gene which you just got from Sentinel!!"

It's pretty weird that CHAOS does not have a face icon, with being the main evil in this game and all. Also, take note of the name "Sentinel". It's another figure from Flare's past, and apparently gave her the Dragoon powers, or something. I'm not actually sure if the game ever touches upon that again, but thenightsshadow can probably educate us if it doesn't come up again.

"It can't be! My OMEGA WAVE is the ultimate magic and the full blast can even destroy a planet!!"

"It's no use!! No matter how powerful the attack, my DIMENSIONAL BARRIER simply warp the energy into other time and space! Nothing in this world can touch me or even harm me!! HooWaHahaha!!"

"I can't! As long as that barrier is around, my attacks will be bounced off to somewhere else..."

"!?"

"Why...are...you......So.... *cough! cough!* weak...hearted....."

"The voice!? Rain!? Is that you speaking? But you can't talk!! Not only that, I am in another dimension. There's no way Rain's voice can reach here..."

"Never...give up!! Flare I know..wouldn't give up hope! She's...that kind of...girl!"

"That's..who you are....and...what you really are! FLARE DELSTAR!!"

"But...I can't think of any ways to defeat CHAOS."

"But you're still alive!! You can continue on fighting as long as you live, and you shall win!!"

"I have faith in Flare!! I believe you can...defeat CHAOS!! I just know it for sure!!!"

"Rain..."

"You must win and come back to...ME!"

"Yes I will Rain!! I'll use all I got to destroy CHAOS!!"

The power of love..it's so moving :qq:

"You little girl just never give up!! DIE! Saint Dragoon!!"

"CHAOS' power is rising rapidly!!!"

"DIE! FLARE!! OMEGAAA CLUSTER-!!!"

CHAOS just nukes the poo poo out of everything :supaburn:

"........!? What!?"

".....TELEPORT! I did it! The blast of OMEGA CLUSTER has been warped off!!"

Yay for plot devices! :woop:

"You were able to warp the massive energy of my OMEGA CLUSTER into thin AIR!!!?"

"Even I can do DIMENSIONAL BARRIER you know!"

"(However, is there any way I can penetrate CHAOS' barrier?)"

"(!!Penetrating different time and space?..There IS! I know only 1 way!! Atom particles!! They are even smaller than the magical energy! Spell barriers can't deflect them! If I can use these atom particles as projectiles with enough power to damage CHAOS thru the barrier!)"

And here we have it, the ultimate Macguffin in the game - atom particles powered by magic or something. Weird but canon :psyduck:

"I'll give everything I got on...this ONE shot! Listen to my prayer. The source of all the energy in this universe, grant me the power!!"

Bam! Super Saiyajin out of nowhere...

"What is THIS!? A harmonic wave!? I feel the whole space around Flare is being pulled into her!!"

"C...O...S...M...OS...ETERNAL-!!"

The animation is the same as before, except that is has four balls of energy.

"Impossible!! HOW can she penetrate my barrier!!?"

"No more DIMENSIONAL BARRIER."

"WHAT!?"

"My COSMOS ETERNAL is made of atom particles, the smallest unit of all things. It even penetrates your warp magic so you can't block with barrier."

"Atoms...! How can a weakling human like you can come up with such a power!?"

"Because I am a human."

"Just because you being a human!?"

"One human is weak indeed. That's why we humans help and support each other to live. I wasn't fighting alone. My loved ones, friends, any many other people...Because I got someone who gives me love and courage, I was able to sum up all their powers into one."

:wrongful:

"That's impossible! You are now standing at the other dimension! Nobody can possibly lend you any power!!"

"People's heart...can reach any place, even to the different world..."

No idea why she stopped glowing all of a sudden? But...

...CHAOS is hosed :sotw:

Probably?

"Rain...I finally did it! I...defeated CHAOS!!!"

"Flare..."

Flare wanted to do this scene justice. She messed up this scene so badly that this was the most buggy part of the entire game. It kinda sucked, and I never got to check the actual files to find out why. (Then again, this was not only the PS RPGMaker but I didn't know anything about programming RPG Maker. Most of what I know I learned from looking at RW's code and Three the Hard Way's code. Oh, and The Way. Can't forget that one, Lun Calsari.) All I know is, this scene bugged twice before working, and some of the graphics were glitchy. This was definitely the low point of the previous game and as such Flare wanted to do it justice here.

Tin Tim posted:

"She would be happy during the wedding, but the reality constantly reminds her about dad's illness...I think it was too much for mom to bear with...so she couldn't have a formal marriage at the end..."

thenightsshadow told us why Rain and Flare never got married, jfyi.

Actually, what Fina just told us is exactly what she knows. She doesn't know the full truth and is never given the full truth.

Tin Tim posted:

Well, that's all the backstory stuff for now. If you can weigh in on any of this, thenightsshadow, please go ahead!

All done. One more tidbit before I go. You know that Sentinel character? We actually see "it" later.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
All that waffling about atoms is just making me imagine her either flicking atoms at Chaos like a little kid tossing rolled up pieces of paper at a classmate or just irradiating the hell out of him. There's something oddly amusing about the idea of the greatest evil in the universe being defeated by ionising radiation.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know this isn't how radiation works. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
She always checked the perimeter for Mazoku. EXCEPT ON HER WEDDING DAY.

• Locked thread