Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

I think people have unrealistic expectations of what console sales should be. Do people honestly expect to see a gigantic bump in sales when they are historically flat all year round until Christmas?

Are you being sarcastic?

People are saying it's dead in the water (which I don't necessarily agree with) because the sales are in the toilet, not because they're flat. That graphic shows that the WiiU sales are much lower than Nintendo's previous consoles.

I'm sure there will be a good jump for the holiday season, especially with SM3DW coming out, but I'd honestly be surprised if it beat the GameCube. I say this as somebody that likes the WiiU.

Also, what came out for the N64 at the end of 1997 that caused that gigantic spike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SymfonyMan posted:

Why is there a small spike for systems in June? Is it because kids are off school and parents buy them a system? Either way, looking at that chart and noticing that the june bump is insanely small for the Wii U can't we assume the holiday bump will follow suit?

For the GameCube it was right after a price drop and there was a big launch with Eternal Darkness (the price drop was probably the major impact). The N64 got Starfox 64, which probably drove sales a bit. The Wii didn't have much of a jump but that may have been due to shortages.

I don't think that you can safely assume that due to June being disappointing the holiday season will be as well.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Xillah posted:

I don't think you can buy separate tablets.
It wouldn't even have needed to be bundled in with the WiiU. It just seems odd, they were developing this thing alongside the 3ds, link the buggers up.

It probably wasn't cost effective at the time to do so and they probably thought the U could stand on its own.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If you had two people wanting to play a game together that actually used the tablet in a way other than displaying inventory or minimap?

You'd also need to have 2 open outlets near the two of you and that would be more annoying to me.

The battery life on the tablet is so loving short.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Nintendo should make a 2D Zelda roguelike. Just rework nethack, make it slightly less difficult and actually playable without spoilers and you're golden.

I'd play the poo poo out of a Zelda version of Dungeon Crawl.

Actually, I'd play the poo poo out of an anything version of Dungeon Crawl.

Every company needs to embrace Roguelikes forever.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Haha, what the gently caress is this post. They've done that stuff in almost every pokemon game.

No, it's a clear sign that the WiiU is dead and Nintendo will be filing for bankruptcy shortly.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

How would I know it is a recurring easter egg? I guess I should go and play every single pokemon game first to make sure it's a reference and not just a sad "Hey guys, The WiiU exists" insert into a game that actually sells on a device Nintendo makes that actually sells?

You're coming off as defensive. You could have said "oh, I didn't know that" as opposed to all of this.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

How can you not have a computer in a developed nation in 2013?

Desktops and even laptops are kind of going out of vogue with cheap tablets and the saturation of smartphones.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Most business PCs end up having to run super old versions of windows, IE, Java etc because people who code stuff for businesses tend to loving suck and require specific versions of things, hard coded into it.

It's normally browsers they do that for, not OSes. Businesses hold on to Windows XP forever because it's cheaper, not normally due to business need.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Don't you think Mario is an iconic enough cultural thing that it belongs to the public consciousness? I know I do, Nintendo could declare tomorrow that Mario is a now a slender businessman who wears a suit and shaved his mustache and it wouldn't affect anyone's perception of what Mario is. I'm all for that being public domain. Mickey Mouse is much more blatant there.

The right of the public to own its own culture overrules the right of one company to make more profit off of one particular business model.

Why does the public have more of a right to the IP than the creator of it?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I don't think they've ever done a Black Friday sale on a console right after it came out. Maybe a buy one get one half off on games deal or something. Was there one for the Wii U? I paid no attention to it when it came out.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Edmund Honda posted:

But it's had a price drop in America as well as the WWHD bundle, and the Wii U sales tripled*!

*in a 5 week reporting month, and still 3rd behind the PS3/360.

*And when said price drop and bundle happened in the last 2 weeks of said 5 reporting week month.

I'm not saying it was anything amazing or the WiiU is suddenly selling great, or that the sales will keep up, but you're being disingenuous.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

"Nintendo needs to secure third party exclusives like MS and Sony do."

*Nintendo does so*

"Why are those dipshits working with Nintendo?"

I mean, yeah, this thread is about complaining about Nintendo and saying they're failures, but come on.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crowbear posted:

Just because Nintendo needs it doesn't mean it was a good business decision for Sega.

And, at the moment, it isn't for anybody. My point is that asking why they aren't doing something then decrying them for doing said thing is asinine.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Spiffo posted:

Decrying them? "Them" is a different company in each of those sentences.

Yeah, both of these statements are being critical of the third party developers, not Nintendo.

One and the Same posted:

I really wouldn't blame them for getting lazy and putting as little effort into these WiiU games as they can get away with. Between being roped in on this dumb console and getting screwed by Gearbox, Sega can't be doing well these days.

Barudak posted:

Capcom fell for the same trap except it was 5 games so its not a new thing either.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious as to what the 2DS sales have been. Has it not launched in Japan?

Also, isn't the WiiU the first console Nintendo's sold at a loss? I get the feeling their takeaway will be to not do that again, which everybody saying the hardware needs to compete with Sony and MS's won't get what they want.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

3DS is continually down YoY and Nintendo sold fewer handhelds last quarter than they have since 2005.

edit - actually if you include GBA in the 2005 Q2 results it's probably way ahead of 2013Q2.

Do you have a source for that? All of the graphs I can find disagree with you but they also seem to cut off prior to September.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

First post of the GAF thread posted earlier has a ton of data for Wii,Wii U, 3DS, and DS. No GBA though.

That's units shipped, not sold, although that can be a decent indicator of sales.

I am curious to see what happens this holiday season with it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

You cannot deny that they have a pretty big market share though.

It's crazy to think that Nintendo is selling 50% of all consoles sold, yet losing money... I know that's only a small piece of the puzzle here, but it's just so weird.

They aren't losing money. Their profits are down (and quite a bit off of projections). There is a difference between those two things.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crowbear posted:

They are losing money. Foreign exchange shenanigans are the only reason they've posted any net profits in the last couple of years.

If they are posting net profits, they are not losing money. It doesn't matter if you think the way they got that money "counts" or not. I'm also not sure why you said "in the last couple of years" since this time last year they were taking a (significant) loss on foreign exchange income. (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131030e.pdf page 5)

Their loss on on operating income was also down YoY for Q1 and Q2.

We'll see what happens, and I'm sure the investors aren't happy, but they aren't losing money.

Edit: Looking at it last year, cumulative, it looks like they did better than FY12. Also, why the gently caress does Nintendo put a dozen pages of loving pictures at the start of their damned financial reports?

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 31, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Alteisen posted:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/3..._medium=twitter

Could explain this to me? I thought they where still making a profit.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/0..._medium=twitter

This ones a bit odd, hopefully just an oversight.

They aren't making much and market value is based on more than whether or not they're in the red.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'll be honest, if they make a 2DS XL ill probably buy one.

Or maybe not since I already have a 3DS XL and just never turn 3d on.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Not buying a console is a much more sane response to "new consoles are lovely and have rehashed games" than "buy the one that is momentarily the least crappy".

But I need to buy something RIGHT NOW.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

But posters in this thread are constantly saying about how Nintendo has infinite reserves of money?

People say they have a sizable amount of cash, which I believe is true. That being said, spending it right now, when investor confidence is already low, would likely be a rather significant mistake.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

madeupfred posted:

Oh, eww. Eww. That is an awful way to represent that data.

It's an awesome way to represent it if your goal is to show how lovely the WiiU is compared to others.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buffer posted:

It seems like 3 WiiUs to the Bone and 2 Bones to the PS4 is about right.

I'm not sure about the 360/PS3 comp though.

That is the stupidest loving way to compare things.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buffer posted:

Hey man I didn't make the chart that measured things in WiiUs, that was NeoGAF.

I wasn't trying to accuse you of making the chart, sorry.

That isn't the first time I've seen charts made like that and they make me mad every time.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AgentJotun posted:

I don't know about Wii/Wii U games but I can say I am amazed Nintendo can get away with charging so much for 3DS games and still be a big success.

I don't know, for the most part the 3DS games seem to be worth what they charge. I've gotten lots of entertainment out of games like VLR, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon, worth $40 each.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

It's almost like they are targeting different demographics...

I'm a manchild and watch Cartoon Network constantly. I've not seen many WiiU ads, and the Mario 3d World ones focus on it being multiplayer and a 3d Mario game. They seem weird to me and don't make me that excited.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

What's the American TV channel for people trapped in the early '90s?

Nintendo should advertise there.

Doesn't Nick at Nite show Fresh Prince of Bellaire and Full House now?

God, that makes me feel old.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

It's not a bag of infinite money. It's their safety net to show people that if the Wii U fails they won't go bankrupt and start peddling smart phone apps, because they still have the cash to keep them afloat.

At this point, it's a holding to keep their stock price up.

Spending that money, decreasing their equity and shareholder value, at a time when the shareholders are already not too happy would be asinine.

They're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. They need to spend the money to be able to do better, but spending it will cause an immediate decrease in stock price.

Really Nintendo's best bet right now is probably to finish what they are developing for Wii U, then focus on the 3DS and come at their next console with a different approach.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

You can't honestly be claiming that TV advertising is too expensive for a multinational corporation like Nintendo? They're not a startup, they're a multi-billion dollar company.

What? No.

If you were talking to me I have no idea where the hell you got that from. The point of my post was to say that they aren't going to go on a spending spree with their retained earnings and why they aren't. I think they should do more advertising but they shouldn't, and won't, dump a sizable portion of their cash on hand on it. EDIT: While investor confidence is already low and their earnings are in the gutter.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

"Super" also indicates this is in the very least a much better Nintendo, and came with an advertising campaign. U indicates... stuff?

It's the college that the normal Wiis graduated from.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

WendigoJohnson posted:

Watch the situation not improve with another major release......again!

Zelda improved the situation okay, and it was a rerelease.

Are you talking about Pikmin 3? What other major releases has the Wii U had?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

WendigoJohnson posted:

Super Mario Bros U, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and Zelda did jack poo poo.

A noticible difference would be what happened when pokemon X and Y was released. Zelda didn't even come close to that.

NSMBU was a launch title so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. The launch was disappointing but it's difficult to say what impact that game had on it.

Who was saying W101 would move units? I honestly never saw that. Maybe people here did, but I wouldn't classify it as a "major release."

Pikmin 3 didn't have any impact. I've never seen Pikmin as a system seller but yeah, it was a major release that didn't cause any real bump in sales.

Zelda did have a noticeable difference, just not a huge one, and it was the digital and bundle versions only in September. We'll see if it accomplished anything (to be fair, probably not a hell of a lot) when we get October numbers.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

leidend posted:

For most people the share button will be sparsely used after you realize no one gives a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.

I do.

I give a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

Maybe they were saying upgrade in the hopes that people would take it to mean that you should buy it because it's new and you should throw away the old one, like how they "upgrade" iPhones.

Probably. I'm not sure why everybody's so hung up on the word "upgrade." It's a lovely ad for plenty of reasons other than that.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Why does the mom hold the Triforce of Power?

Because she's actually Gannon.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

"Hey, maybe the next Nintendo system should have a child's face on it, so you can look into it's eyes and communicate with it,"

I would buy the poo poo out of this and make everybody I ever met play games on it just to see how uncomfortable they get.

I honestly think the thought process with the Wii U was "Hey, people love the Wii, and they love the DS, LET'S PUT THEM TOGETHER!" and yeah, it didn't work.

On the plus side, if they stick with their 5 year release schedule for consoles, the next one should be about as powerful as the Xbone and PS4 and not come out right before the PS5 and Xbox Evolve or whatever the gently caress they call it (I will put money on the next Xbox being called something like that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I feel the Wii U should be sold with a pro controller and the Wii U pad be sold as an accessory much like the Wii Fit balance board.

I agree with this. The pad's neat, especially in things that use it well like Pikmin 3, but the controller is far more comfortable and the pad's battery runs out way too fast.

• Locked thread