Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
There is a strong "everyone loved the naval element, let's do a naval game" vibe to this, but I also think the choice of main character is very telling. A lot of people hated Connor but everyone loved Haytham, so they might be trying to capitalise on that a bit more. We haven't seen much of Edward, only a few lines of dialogue in the gameplay videos; he doesn't look quite as much fun as Haytham but nothing can be worse than zero-personality led-around-by-the-nose Connor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

For real though the assassinations were some of the coolest parts of AC 1 and 2 and it's weird that there's, like, maybe three in all of Revelations and AC3 combined. Although with all the procedurally generated ship questing stuff it looks like there'll be plenty of ship captains to jump kill in this game

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

To be fair, at least part of AC2 was about rescuing your family from evil spaniards

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

The three-button sprint/freerun works fine on PC because it's trivial to hold down W, Shift, Space while still having your right hand be free for the mouse, but I can see it being a big pain on consoles. Sprinting in Dark Souls is hard enough on the hands.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

This is looking better and better. Havana especially looks like it'll be gorgeous to run around in, the cities in AC3 were really bland and disappointing. And yeah, AC2/Bro had some of the most charm I've seen in a game, so I don't particularly need anything new or exciting from the series, I'll probably just keep playing AC games if they can keep delivering that sense of open world fun that I'm nostalgic for :allears:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Also a bunch of really hamfistedly inserting this random Native American dude into every single major event of the American Revolution. Why yes, you were helping to dump cargo at the Boston Tea Party and riding Paul Revere's horse for him. Why? Literally no good reason

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I'd just prefer if initially using stealth was possible or more encouraged, fighting out in the open being possible but only up to a point - if you have, say, four or five guys around you, you can still make it but once any more than that join the fray the odds really tip in their favor and getting the hell out of dodge becomes the most reasonable approach. So basically a more refined and in-depth version of what we have now.

I've thought for a while about how best to handle it - the ability to be an awesome badass fighter, while not trivialising every aspect of combat - and this is probably the best way to go about it. Have enemies that are aggressive enough and attack fast enough that it's impossible to counter four or five attacks at once, and make it so that being attacked from behind is a much bigger deal (maybe harder to counter, maybe take more damage) and it could hit the right spot.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

You guys suck, I gotta wait for the PC version to come out in three weeks :argh:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I like it because it makes you go back to Florence and Florence is the best. Also it has a bunch of cool little one-off assassinations and the main problem with the later games is that there aren't any loving assassinations

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

They said that Black Flag would be the last of the yearly Assassin's Creed installments. We all thought that meant they were dialing back and not releasing a title every year. But they actually meant they're doubling up :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It's bizarre that they called Black Flag "Assassin's Creed 4", to emphasise the fact that it's a totally new Assassin's Creed and not just an expansion pack for AC3 (which it basically was), and Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't get a number, which implies it's just a side thing but actually looks substantive enough to be the 4th title in the actual series.

• Locked thread