Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.

MUFFlNS posted:

In other news, this is the 15th game to ever get a perfect 10/10 score from Edge.

Hmmm. I wasn't paying this game any attention but I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lucid Delusion posted:

Not sure what to make of it yet. I thought it would be a bit more strategic based but maybe it's just because the people playing were quick to resort to using their guns. Plus the footage is all cut together so who knows.

Yeah, despite the dev emphasis on stealth and melee, it pretty well fell into a run and gun. Not sure about my opinion about the 'listen' feature being included in vs play. That said, I don't know how much time in online play I'm going to spend when I'll be exploring every knook and cranny in game.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Tide posted:

Yeah, despite the dev emphasis on stealth and melee, it pretty well fell into a run and gun. Not sure about my opinion about the 'listen' feature being included in vs play. That said, I don't know how much time in online play I'm going to spend when I'll be exploring every knook and cranny in game.

Any game that includes a 3rd person no respawn mode instantly hearkens back to the glory days of SOCOM and solidifies my decision to buy it day one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mouser.. posted:

Any game that includes a 3rd person no respawn mode instantly hearkens back to the glory days of SOCOM and solidifies my decision to buy it day one.

Wallhacks by default is a pretty big differentiator, though.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is listen mode an infinite resource? I would imagine they would try to limit it in some way, or give people an item or ability to counter it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Is listen mode an infinite resource? I would imagine they would try to limit it in some way, or give people an item or ability to counter it.

Wouldn't the logical thing be to make you stand completely still while you're using it?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Apparently there's a cool down for listen in MP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mouser.. posted:

I was thinking the same thing! The early days of SOCOM were some of the most tense I've had gaming. This was before they made the levels so big that you couldn't find anyone without running around and unloading magazines.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Came across this today. This makes it look far more interesting than the cut together leaked footage from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Mlh0dR4XU

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Lucid Delusion posted:

Came across this today. This makes it look far more interesting than the cut together leaked footage from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Mlh0dR4XU

Aye, that looks much better ... but that is to be expected from an official trailer.

I for one am hoping the multi-player takes off and stays good and fresh, so many games that have a multi-player mode that is based on a single-player game have a tendency to fall away after the newness dies off; ie. AC3.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This:

"Who's ready for more #TheLastofUs news? Tomorrow will be a big day."

Plus this:

"Yes, two modes and the multiplayer game has another aspect to it that we’re excited to see people’s reactions to."

Has me wondering if we might find out there's co-op today...

Fingers crossed!!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't read through this because I want to avoid details as much as possible before I play, but Eurogamer gave The Last of Us 10/10.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

The Edge 10/10 review is up: http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-last-of-us-review/

Get hyped

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hmm, I suppose you can't (or can you?) review a game without covering all the bases and there is no mention of anything we don't already know.

Wonder what they plan to reveal today, then...

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Sessler has a spoiler-free review up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEs33aWkX2Q

...He liked it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gametrailers also put up a short pre-review review but sang the game's praises.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
10's for Eurogamer and Edge. 9's and 10's all around. Looks like I might have to preorder this game. Can't remember the last time I did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Destructoid/Jim Sterling 10/10
Giant Bomb/Patrick Klepek 5/5
Gamespot/Tom Mc Shea 8.0
Polygon/Phillip Kollar 7.5/10

Current Metacritic score: 97
That's not counting the Polygon grade, which is the lowest I've seen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sounds like it's a beefy campaign. Most reviews I've seen report 15-20 hours playtime, somewhat dependent on difficulty.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
IGN gave a perfect 10 and the review mentions his campaign run was 17 hours. Either he really sucked and explored every single nook and cranny thoroughly or this game is a lot longer then I thought.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review

Edit: and it mentions you can't max out your upgrades first playthrough so you've got to pick and choose. Hopefully you won't be able to screw yourself by neglecting certain skills/weapons.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 5, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Polygon guy's review isn't even particularly negative either. He just didn't like that they went with standard third person shooter mechanics and arena design instead of something more tailored to the story and tone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

The Polygon guy's review isn't even particularly negative either. He just didn't like that they went with standard third person shooter mechanics and arena design instead of something more tailored to the story and tone.
And this is starting to put me off the game because the utter disconnect between plot and gameplay is one of the reasons that I though Uncharted was a mediocre series and I'm getting tired of games having to shoehorn combat into everything. Going to wait and see though.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Aphrodite posted:

What a lovely reason to down score the game by that much. If its an incredible game it shouldn't matter what point of view it's in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

And this is starting to put me off the game because the utter disconnect between plot and gameplay is one of the reasons that I though Uncharted was a mediocre series and I'm getting tired of games having to shoehorn combat into everything. Going to wait and see though.

Going by all the other reviews, that's a balance that ND actually managed to strike.

quote:

The Last of Us rejects all of this. The Last of Us plays like Naughty Dog internalized the biggest design criticisms [~*~~ludonarrative dissonance~~*~ -my edit]leveled against its last franchise and set out to make the anti-Uncharted. While The Last of Us retains Naughty Dog's signature ability to push hardware further than anyone else--a PlayStation 3 game has never looked better--it gives the player far more agency during the game's biggest moments, ratchets down the overall body count by a significant degree, and tries to make each kill worth a drat. (Klepek)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

InFlames235 posted:

What a lovely reason to down score the game by that much. If its an incredible game it shouldn't matter what point of view it's in

It's not the point of view that's the problem; the way I read it, it's kind of the problem Tomb Raider and Uncharted had where towards the end, the story gets shoved aside so you can kill 30-40 guys to get to the next checkpoint. It's probably better than Uncharted was (Nathan Drake, Scourge of Worlds! :black101:), but they can't seem to quite get out of that rut. At least according to Polygon.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

InFlames235 posted:

That wasn't his only criticism at all and it's a perfectly legitimate line of reasoning to negatively assess a game for.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It's worth noting that back when Polygon was starting out, they received funding from Microsoft to the amount of $750,000. If you go have a quick browse of their reviews for PS3 exclusives, and how the scores tally up compared to Xbox 360 exclusives, you should get a good idea of where that money went.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

It's worth noting that back when Polygon was starting out, they received funding from Microsoft to the amount of $750,000. If you go have a quick browse of their reviews for PS3 exclusives, and how the scores tally up compared to Xbox 360 exclusives, you should get a good idea of where that money went.

Can we not do this?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Seems like more and more this is a criticism that professional game critics are having about games. I have heard so many complaints about people wishing Bioshock infinite was not a shooter, and was instead an adventure game or something. I feel like there is just a growing backlash against anything the slightest bit shooty among the gaming press.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Seems like more and more this is a criticism that professional game critics are having about games. I have heard so many complaints about people wishing Bioshock infinite was not a shooter, and was instead an adventure game or something. I feel like there is just a growing backlash against anything the slightest bit shooty among the gaming press.

And a corresponding backlash against those same tropes on internet forums.

Polygon's 7.5 bumped the Metascore to 95. :qq:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I think there's a perfectly earnest, and merited, 'backlash' against games that seem to be action-packed shooters only by default. I think it's less that people don't want shooters and more that shooters have become homogenized to the point where they're incapable of adapting, or being adapted to fit their other elements and design choices because of genre convention.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

It's not entirely unwarranted. I mean, when was the last big release that wasn't a shooter?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does look ridiculous when your criticism is that a game uses too many conventional elements, then you can scroll down to see Animal Crossing: 9 though.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I think it's not that the reviewer here hates shooters in games or anything, I think it's that the game's shooting is by and large not it's strong point. He says that he used stealth in the first half because the shooting was impactful and difficult, which is fine, but then later on it's still hard but you don't have the option to sneak away, and instead are forced to fight hordes. I mean it's probably not a huge issue but certainly it's a valid complaint.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It does look ridiculous when your criticism is that a game uses too many conventional elements, then you can scroll down to see Animal Crossing: 9 though.

Maybe. It's not a particularly compelling line of assocation, though.

I'm dissapointed that so few reviews seem to talk in-depth about the multiplayer, I thought that reveal earlier was really, really dissapointing after all the hype. Hopefully whatever they have planned to show off soon is more interesting.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rinkles posted:

And a corresponding backlash against those same tropes on internet forums.

Polygon's 7.5 bumped the Metascore to 95. :qq:

I'd call that a positive. I don't trust games that don't have detractors*. (Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2)

Edit: *Professional Critic detractors.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 5, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone accuse Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 of not having detractors.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
All I know is June 14th can not get here fast enough

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't have a problem with shooters, its when games try to have unique narratives but are forced throw in waves of combat encounters usually because the suits don't think the game won't sell otherwise or its used as a crutch, because hey video games are all bout fighting dudes, right? I'm just tired of it, especially when games like Walking Dead show you can have a truly great game narrative without throwing hundreds of enemies at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dan Didio posted:

I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone accuse Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 of not having detractors.

Yeah, yeah, I forgot to clarify that. :downs:

• Locked thread