Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't even say Uncharted 3 was at all better than 2. Still a solid action-platformer, but the ending was all sorts of lame and the writing got kind of flimsy at various points.

Still, cautiously excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished the prologue. Naughty Dog got me watery-eyed over the death of a character I'd known for less than an hour. I have a feeling I'm going to come out of this game with a much firmer respect for their storytelling abilities than I'd previously had.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Static Rook posted:

Way to go Troy Baker.

I only just met Ellie, so I'm not far in - but drat. This is shaping up to be great performance from a great actor. It's not that different from the standard Troy Baker Voice, but he's just so subtly older and bitterer, with a real nice subtle southern twang to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished the first sequence of winter. Holy gently caress Ellie's animations for getting killed by infected are gut-wrenching. The Walking Dead never made you watch if you let anything happen to Clem. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I'd let the Bloater get too close to her, considering how horribly it kills Joel.

Anyone wanna give me a ballparck idea of how much game I've got left? I'm about 10-11 hours in and I'm afraid I have to be getting close to the end.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished it. That right there was a game. Winter and Spring were both excellent, though it feels like you could easily have ended the game after Winter.

Was...Was Ellie's bite getting worse at the end there...? :negative:
Also, I totally agree with Joel. gently caress the fireflies, man. The only way they can think of to get useful data or samples from Ellie is to kill her? And they don't even give her the courtesy of loving asking her first? gently caress that and gently caress them.

At first I was worried that Joel and Ellie would turn out to be a poor man's Lee and Clementine, and I certainly don't think the developers can deny having taking a look at those two, but the relationship very much turned into its own beast as the developed and I enjoyed it immensely. Easily the high point of the plot - a lot of the Gubmint vs. Fireflies angle wound up feeling a touch superfluous.

Not sure I'd call it perfection, but a drat drat good product with a lot of soul - absolutely restored my faith in Naughty Dog after the Ludonarrative circus of the Uncharted plot and the general 'meh'ness of Uncharted 3. If you haven't bought it and you're reading this thread, here's another recommendation to throw your cash down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zenintrude posted:

This is what I've been asking... apparently the answer is ~video game magic~

It's basically impossible to say because we have only a vague idea how EVIL CORDYCEPS differs from real varieties. Does it just live in the brain, or does it actually bond with nerves? Can it force muscles to contract without nutrition? Is the human body sustained by people-food, or is the fungus sustaining it somehow? For that matter, is the cordyceps actively feeding on the body, or is it somehow drawing nutrition from outside it?

But really, who cares? That's all just :spergin: behind some modifications meant to put a bit of flavor on a setting whose real strength lies in how it affects the characters within it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Although it doesn't the explain the family of giraffes or the lab monkeys. And they didn't eat the buck. You'd think they would have discovered it just sitting under a tarp. Speaking of the monkeys, they were deliberately infected with cordyceps for study but they didn't turn into roving monsters so animals are apparently unaffected by the fungus.

Well real Cordyceps species only specialize in infecting one specific species - some variants target ants, others target grasshoppers, etc - so it's not too absurd that the human variant wouldn't respond the same way to monkeys.

Also, something I meant to say earlier - Troy Baker deserves a loving medal for his performance in this, especially if Joel's facial animation was taken from him at all. He's a good actor, but this is easily his best performance. There's just so much subtlety to it. There's so many moments in the game when things are getting intense and he could easily get away with chewing the scenery a bit, but 99% of the time he just lets the emotion just barely start to edge into his performance. Just enough so you see it there, but not so much that it becomes overbearing - and that makes it all the more effective when he really does let loose and and go all out on a performance. It suits a nuanced character like Joel perfectly, and my opinion of Baker's voicework has gone from good to great with this performance.

Though, to play devil's advocate, it probably does help that Joel's probably the best animated character he's played outside of maybe Snow from Final Fantasy XIII. And Snow is...well, not quite as nuanced a character as Joel is, and I say that as someone who enjoyed those games.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Naughty Dog certainly deserves a reward for the animation in cutscenes. There are many moments with subtle facial twitching, blinking, and quivering lips you never see in any other game. After Joel turns Ellie away at the ranch house it zooms in on his face and you can see how visibly torn up inside he is. And Ellie's reaction when Joel lies to her is this wavering "...okay." I'm 100% positive she knows he was lying but wanted confirmation on the direction he was going with their relationship. Strange how it all looks more believable than what was done for L.A. Noire and that was a game where they practically pasted live actor's faces onto the bodies.

To be fair to LA Noire, the faces were excellent in that. They were more let down by lackluster body animation and some uncanny-valley inducing texturing/coloration than by the actual facial animation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

I don't think the rats are fleeing from the infected because they're getting eaten, I think it was just one of those cliche "Oh poo poo something is coming" moments they do in a lot of games and movies. Thinking about it right now, I don't think I remember seeing any evidence of the infected eating anything besides people, implied or otherwise. But I suppose the Cordyceps could evolve in 20 years to rely more on sunshine and water while somehow maintaining the basic requirements to keep a human body going I guess?

See, that doesn't work because it's a fungus, not a plant - it doesn't photosynthesize, it breaks poo poo down and digests it. I'm pretty sure the actual cordycepts just feeds on its host, which just sustains it long enough for the body to emerge from the host and release spores.

A cordyceps apocalypse is much more than a simple mutation away. But again, that's just :spergin: that really shouldn't hamper one's enjoyment of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This got asked before, but I can't find the response: There any decent LPers taking a look at this yet? First thing google brings up is PDP and a bunch of wannabes, and gently caress that nonsense.

• Locked thread