Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tazzillekki posted:

It's not about realism or technology. It's about major corporations and characters springing up too fast. Maybe I would've felt good about it if characters were from some minor PMC from MGS4 or something like that. Maybe if it was 8 or 10 years after MGS4 it would be feasible for the cyberification of entire corporations. I'm willing to accept that with enough technology juice, Raiden can suplex a Metal Gear Ray, but I just see how these characters mesh with the universe. Especially Sam.

There are more codec calls than potentially gameplay that explain everything you do and don't want to know about every entity in game. So I don't think you can strongly claim there's a lack of integration beyond just personally not buying it, which is hard to argue without spoiling everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Gologle posted:

drat, I love KungFuJesus, pokecapn, all the rest of them, but their stream of this game was so bad it convinced me that this game was super hard and I never picked it up, but then you come in and make it look totally awesome. Is the learning curve still as steep as I think it is though?

Once you figure out that your parry is the most important move you have, like Dark Souls dodge important, the game is actually fairly easy on hard. At least up until certain boss fights. There's another couple mechanics coming up that will make it even easier when used well, which you should be aware of already assuming the stream got beyond the prologue. I don't really play action games, the only other one I can think of that I played all the way through is DMC 4, which I was awful at, and this game really didn't give me too much trouble.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
So, what is the achievement for cutting RAY's tail?

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I'm also looking forward to the codec calls being posted. I didn't listen to many while playing, because I just wanted to slice dudes up and I probably wouldn't have caught them all anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Booya posted:

Once you figure out that your parry is the most important move you have, like Dark Souls dodge important, the game is actually fairly easy on hard. At least up until certain boss fights. There's another couple mechanics coming up that will make it even easier when used well, which you should be aware of already assuming the stream got beyond the prologue. I don't really play action games, the only other one I can think of that I played all the way through is DMC 4, which I was awful at, and this game really didn't give me too much trouble.

Yeah. Easily the biggest difference between Reveangance and the two other big Platinum/Platinum-y action series' is this game's focus on blocking. Devil May Cry and especially Bayonetta train you to hit the dodge button and dance around the enemy when you want to avoid damage - this game wants you to stand your ground and parry it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Shoopuf posted:

So, what is the achievement for cutting RAY's tail?

Steel Tail. Not as funny as you'd hope.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. Easily the biggest difference between Reveangance and the two other big Platinum/Platinum-y action series' is this game's focus on blocking. Devil May Cry and especially Bayonetta train you to hit the dodge button and dance around the enemy when you want to avoid damage - this game wants you to stand your ground and parry it.

This game wants you to stand your ground, attack that attack, and beat the poo poo out of it.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
You are correct, Chip, it is in fact his real hair. Raiden has his priorities straight.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That sure is some intro. I'm having a hard time imagining how the game tops two giant robots getting hacked to pieces and that other stuff, but Chip's billion sun burning fanboyism seems trustworthy so let's see.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
You know what I noticed about this game?
How it goes to huge lengths to give you a sensory overload. Platinum in general is really good at just making ALL THE THINGS happen at the same time, creating a practically dizzying experience.

And I love it :getin:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

That sure is some intro. I'm having a hard time imagining how the game tops two giant robots getting hacked to pieces and that other stuff, but Chip's billion sun burning fanboyism seems trustworthy so let's see.

Just the one, actually. It just decides it didn't get enough of a beating the first time or something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tazzillekki posted:

No offense to those guys, but.. some people are just bad at real action games. It's not a horribly designed game like Ninja Gaiden but it's not an easy game. One mistake that most people I see play this game make is using Blade Mode for damage or just wanting to cut something.

It was a day 0 stream.

I'm not entirely too sure why people were expecting super high quality refined play.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Probably easier to get into than Dark Souls. If you've gotten okay to good at DMC or Bayonetta, you'll probably be able to get passable at this within an afternoon.

I parried everything in Souls games and spent all of Bayonetta in Witch Time... but parrying here just confused me. I think it's the timing window for a "counter parry" (in DS terms, a parry) as opposed to a "normal parry" (in DS terms, a block) that confuses me. DS/Bayonetta had big indicators when things worked and I never really picked up on either the tells or the timing in MGR.

Looking at Chip's parry video the "you did it right!" indicator is the screen turning blue and the L1 prompt coming up. I guess it's just a matter of not sucking.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Mailer posted:

Looking at Chip's parry video the "you did it right!" indicator is the screen turning blue and the L1 prompt coming up. I guess it's just a matter of not sucking.

The main tell for the perfect parry is whether or not Raiden automatically does the counter strike when he parries. Depending on how much armor an enemy has, you might need to damage them first before a "perfect parry" lets you do the blade mode thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PhazonLink posted:

It's the same Metal Gear RAY. Notice that when it returns the second time it only has one arm and Boris says "That drat UG still works!?"

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Mailer posted:

I parried everything in Souls games and spent all of Bayonetta in Witch Time... but parrying here just confused me. I think it's the timing window for a "counter parry" (in DS terms, a parry) as opposed to a "normal parry" (in DS terms, a block) that confuses me. DS/Bayonetta had big indicators when things worked and I never really picked up on either the tells or the timing in MGR.

If you successfully counter-parry something, you know you did it because Raiden follows up the parry with one big sword swing. The difference between timing for the parry and parry-counter is that a parry-counter happens when you don't parry until just as an attack is about to hit you. The timing is more lenient on normal mode and below; double the amount of frames in fact. The timing on hard mode feels just slightly more forgiving than a Perfect Guard in Devil May Cry 3, which I believe has a timing of around 6 frames.

A normal parry is done whenever you do it too early. Any enemy can be parried the instant its attack animation starts up, which always has some sort of tell for it. A lot of the time the tell is a bright red cross-shaped light that flashes from their eye, but there are a few others we'll see later on.

A counter-parry doesn't actually cause the slow motion for Blade Mode unless it stuns an enemy (which happens on the first counter-parry with the normal cyborgs I fight in the first video, you can see the stars above their heads). The exception is the fight against RAY where a normal parry will stun him and cause slow motion. You can't actually parry-counter any of RAY's attacks except for the bullets it fires from its guns.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's the same Metal Gear RAY. Notice that when it returns the second time it only has one arm and Boris says "That drat UG still works!?"

If there's confusion over this because it has its tail back after I cut it off in the first fight, it's because those two fights were recorded at different times and I forgot to cut its tail off the second time around. Normally when RAY appears the second time it is missing all the stuff you cut off of it.

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 20, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm gonna guess Ironicus was too busy admiring the :krad: of the finishing move to notice and point out the tail. :v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Oh yes I have been waiting for this. I've been playing MGR since it came out and god drat it's just still so much fun.

Also it blew my mind to find out that high frequency blades are a real thing.

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!

Gologle posted:

drat, I love KungFuJesus, pokecapn, all the rest of them, but their stream of this game was so bad it convinced me that this game was super hard and I never picked it up, but then you come in and make it look totally awesome. Is the learning curve still as steep as I think it is though?

I was playing on very hard, but got distracted by Devil May Cry's HD collection again.

The game isn't overly difficult up until that point, especially if you learn to parry.

I never quite learned to parry effectively. My strategy was using gadgets and ninja running around making light attacks then getting out of the way.

On very hard and revengeance, you need to know how to parry, and even then, it's humbling. But the rewarding feeling of beating it overwhelms the difficulty.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
This...this is the most anime game. Except it's like...awesome anime.

Holy shitballs, after finishing the Peace Walker LP I thought Metal Gear couldn't get any sillier. I'm glad to see Platinum's taken Metal Gear so far into silly that they looped it back into awesome.

As much as I really want to hear Ironicus's unadulterated glee and Chip shouting "gently caress IT, PARRY IT!" I think I'm going to have to stop watching here and wait for the PC version. The LP will still be here when that's out.

...But I really hope that's soon. :ohdear:

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I can't wait for Chip to get through the next few levels and make me feel like a complete dumb rear end for never properly figuring out how to fight the enemies in an upcoming level without being turned into anime charcoal briquette. :shobon:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Chip Cheezum posted:

<answers to everything that confused me about parrying>

I'm guessing everyone's already complained enough in the main thread about that, so I'll refrain. Instead I'll complain about having to go buy the game now.

C&I: Konami's Marketing Department

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't touched Revengeance in a couple months, but this thread got me to start downloading all of the DLC, so I can see them before Chip gets to them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ratoslov posted:

You're not the first one to see a little bit of Christian Bale in Raiden.

(Fan video. No real spoilers, just awesome.)

This video needs more love. It's good enough to be an actual commercial for this game, but the fact that it's entirely fan made makes it doubly impressive.

I also love Revengence, though I'm the kinda guy who gets bored after beating a game once so I haven't picked up all the collectibles or gotten good enough to get nothing but S ranks on Hard, hopefully the LP will at least let me vicariously experience everything this game has to offer. I foresee codec calls being a separate videos, cause there's literally hours worth of them and pausing the action to listen to somebody extensively detail the ethics and economics of PMCs in a post war-economy or talk about the boon in cybernetics for up to ten minutes sounds... problematic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that video is pretty good and they actually got Quinton Flynn to do the narration which makes it even better.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Well, by the first video alone I think I'm sold on picking this up. Granted the demo did a pretty good job of that, but actually seeing the events mentioned in said demo cinches it.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Are you going to show off all the Codec calls because there are a few that i absolutely love. Really my only complaint about getting all the Codec calls is that there's no way to tell how many you've got apart from i think maybe two trophies one for getting 50% of the calls and one for getting 100%.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Something I just thought about: During their fight before he beats the snot out of him, Sam says something about Raiden being self-taught. But I thought the whole thing about the big twist in MGS2 is that Solidus taught him how to use the blade and made him a child soldier. So is Sam talking out of his cybernetic rear end or am I misremembering the Metal Gear mythos?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think Solidus gave him the blade and let him develop his own style.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Something I just thought about : During their fight before he beats the snot out of him, Sam says something about Raiden being self-taught. But I thought the whole thing about the big twist in MGS2 is that Solidus taught him how to use the blade and made him a child soldier. So is Sam talking out of his cybernetic rear end or am I misremembering the Metal Gear mythos?

Solidus taught him how to be a soldier, but I think he's self taught with his sword, although I could be wrong.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, I don't think he was ever using a sword until fairly 'recently' in the MGS timeline.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
I just found out you guys did Peace Walker so I've got a lot of catching up to do. Looking forward to you clowning on this game like all the other MGS LPs.

Gologle posted:

Haven't you gotten the memo? All commentated gameplay videos are free advertising for the game! You should have picked up two copies, not zero!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

This is a lot better than I was expecting when I first heard "Metal Gear without stealth". I hope it continues to be this insane and over the top because drat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TwoPair posted:

Something I just thought about : During their fight before he beats the snot out of him, Sam says something about Raiden being self-taught. But I thought the whole thing about the big twist in MGS2 is that Solidus taught him how to use the blade and made him a child soldier. So is Sam talking out of his cybernetic rear end or am I misremembering the Metal Gear mythos?

Solidus did teach him how to use a blade, which eventually earned him his nickname. However, that has nothing to do with sword fighting.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 20, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So how many people have compared the intro to Deus Ex: Human Revolution yet?

Liking this game so far. I know there's already a documentary on the game that reveals some of the development progress, but I'd really like to see more. The blade mode alone must have gone through a million revisits.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

horriblePencilist posted:

No one? Adam Jensen did not sword fight on a train and jump from rocket to rocket, he just threw fridges at people.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

horriblePencilist posted:

I don't really get this. Is it the fact that both leave you pretty seriously hosed up?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Well you see, Adam's a cyborg and so is Raiden therefor they are their games must be similar.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't really get this. Is it the fact that both leave you pretty seriously hosed up?

e: Beaten to the punch by a mile. That's what I get for not refreshing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, technically Adam Jensen and Raiden are very similar in how they were modified into cyborgs. They make a point in Deus Ex of saying that Jensen doesn't actually need most of the cyber stuff he has because his injuries weren't limb-amputation serious. His boss had extra stuff tacked onto him; and thus Jensen ends up like Raiden, in that they're both basically a torso... Raiden even less so!

Other than that I don't see many similarities between Deus Ex and Revengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Well you see, Adam's a cyborg and so is Raiden therefor they are their games must be similar.

The big cyborg looks a bit like the jerk that paralyzed Adam Jensen in the tutorial.

• Locked thread