Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell yes. This game was one of the first of its type I ever played and it convinced me I like this kind of game; it'll be awesome to see someone who's way better than me make it look even cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I spent a lot of time on the codec because I actually liked my support staff for once and thought a lot of the dialogue was fun. This was a first for any MG game I've ever played; I hate Metal Gear games and the only thing that's made them bearable for me is being able to watch the uncut audio versions Chip and Ironicus do, because then I have people who are enjoyable to listen to talking over the ridiculous, redundant bullshit in the cutscenes.

In short, I loving hate Metal Gear Solid, but I LOVED Revengeance. I suspect that's because the codec is, as others pointed out, much more at your leisure, but also because, even if it's something of a QTE? You actually feel like you, the player, get to do a lot of the cool poo poo that happens in this game. In a normal MGS game, almost all of the fight with RAY would've been a cutscene; Snake was always way more agile and able in cutscenes than gameplay, and you never had any involvement there. Here, Raiden is fast, powerful, and the awesome stuff you do actually requires you, the player. MGR trusts you not to gently caress up its choreography and it's a hell of a lot more fun for it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

biosterous posted:

I have to day I'm pleased at how mad Boris gets about a potential civilian casualty. IMO too many games let you kill bystanders with just a slap on the wrist - this game only lets you be a dick to a scared man, and your boss gets righteously pissed about it.

Well, also, Boris is a pretty great guy, as we'll be getting into more and more as the game goes. I like Boris a lot, much like most of your support staff. They're cool people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thunderfinger posted:

To move away from arm puns for a moment, I kind of liked the codec call at the end of the last video. I liked Raiden explaining that he was having a hard time fitting in because of all the cybernetic poo poo he went through, it makes for a bit of world building and it was nice.

Then he made that lipo comment.

He IS still kind of an awkward goob trying to look sauve and badass, after all. That implies a bit of foot in mouth syndrome.

Also, I can't blame him for wondering about food and chatting about it with the resident foodie, considering he admitted he only recently regained the ability to eat and taste. Guy probably really missed it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dusseldorf posted:

So is Super Baseball 2020 MGS canon?

Lord, please let this be true. That game was loving fantastic. And imagining Raiden playing baseball is just hilarious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, Platinum's sewer level included mariachi costumes and pro-wrestling gorilla cyborg fights, so it's a pretty valiant effort.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another thing to keep in mind: What is Raiden's core competency? Is it running grassroots political movements? No, it's murder. And when all you have is a hammer, every corrupt politician dealing in the brains of orphaned children starts to look like it should be cut into millions of tiny pieces.

Plus, the plot is still the plot to a game, so as long as they justify things enough to keep some suspension of disbelief (Which, considering how powerful corporations and conspiracies are in this setting, I think they do) it's fine if the story results in you doing more of what the game's good at (cutting mans).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This fight was pretty much where everything clicked for me. It's also one of the few examples I can think of where a villain made the whole same old 'We're not so different!' speech and got 'You know, you're completely right, now loving die.' in response. It was rather cathartic. Plus, the fight is just fun as hell and it's where I really grasped parrying, and it has sweet music.

I also like how they do his little 'prance back and forth while spouting about something' scene, because they give you Raiden's POV on it and how ridiculous it looks. I can't tell if that was meant as a subtle dig at MGS pre-battle cutscenes, or if it was just to hide the easter egg about playing with a kitty.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If we're being 'realistic' a ballistic missile sub does everything the Metal Gear was supposed to do and does it better.

This is not the time for realism. This is the time for crazy scissors, spine eating, chitterbrains, and copious amounts of cyborg murder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing but awesome poo poo coming up, now, but Sam's boss fight is the greatest moment of the game for me. The music, the fact that it's one of the best 'two guys who are both just really good swordsmen have a duel' fights I've ever played, and Sam's smug and awesome fighting style just sell the whole thing. It's just amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is pretty much the greatest song in a game where every song is pure gold. Seriously, Sam's Theme is one of the best things in the whole game. And the lyrics are so ridiculous but awesome! The only one left will ride upon the dragon's back! What does it mean? No loving clue, but it sounds freakin' sweet!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The difference, though, is that Metal Gear takes the time to harp on its action movie science--and psychology--to the point where you think someone's honestly taking this stuff seriously, and aside from a few obvious differences, everything seems to be well-researched. If Metal Gear left its theories in the background or only spent a few sentences on it, it would be easier for folks to shrug it off.

It also tends to be more annoying, in the main series game, because of the amount of time they dwell on it. This game doesn't really have that problem, as the cutscenes are entertaining and less mind-numbingly long than the ones in the main series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I might just be misremembering things, but isn't Armstrong's plan pretty much what Big Boss was going for in Outer Heaven and the like? A world where everyone is free to fight for what they believe in and all that crazy bullshit?

I also really like Raiden's rebuttal about 'What the hell are you talking about, rich first world politician dude, I've actually lived in lawless hellholes' at the end there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

...now I want one of the Metal Gear games to feature a US supreme court justice as a villain.

Please, Lord, let this be MGR2. Raiden's sword is discovered to be merely a tool of Justice as he's deceived and used by a wily Supreme Court justice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The key is, when a guy like Armstrong says he wants freedom, he implicitly means freedom for someone with his power and circumstances to gently caress up whoever he wants and take whatever he wants. No libertarian has ever imagined themselves to be one of the shivering masses huddled and dying as a 'parasite' any more than anyone has ever fantasized about an apocalypse where they die in the first few minutes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everything about Armstrong is perfect. He's just as hard as the fights prior built him up to be, the music is awesome, he's an awesome rear end in a top hat who you want super dead, and the ending you get afterwards is great, too. I bought Rising expecting I'd enjoy ridiculous gameplay, and I sure as hell did, but I was astonished (as someone who absolutely hates MGS's story) that I actually really liked the story. Silly or no, I liked the characters, the voicework was great, and a lot of it just felt like it was taking the best parts of MGS and leaving a lot of the bullshit behind.

Also, the goddamn first boss was a giant robit dinosaur that you cut in half while a Russian guy gets super excited about it. How could anyone say no to that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Momomo posted:

I still have no idea why turning into clay allows him to summon lava, though.

Because it's loving awesome, that's why.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He does throw it once, in the cutscene where he's rescuing George for the first time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, he's kind of a noted lunatic. What's hilarious is that MGS2 dialed BACK Dead Cell's antics, because they felt the stuff the real Red Cell got up to was too ludicrously horrible to seem plausible. Reading this dude's autobiography is kind of like an Aristocrats joke that never stops.

You can't just say that and not give us at least a few anecdotes. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speedball posted:

I wonder what the real kill ratio is of SEALs. Perhaps not to "one guy clears out a battalion on his own" levels, but maaaybe "one guy kills twenty in one night?"

I remember hearing somewhere it was something like 200-1 in Vietnam, but that might be an exaggeration or a misremembering. It's pretty insane, though, since their entire goal is to get into a position where their enemy is going to be dead or surrendering before they shoulder their weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Not only that, but I think he was shopping around to find someone who could kill Armstrong. Remember, for all his skill, Sam's just a dude in a power suit with a sweet sword. Add that sweet sword to Raiden's super crazy giant robit throwing body and you get a dead Armstrong.

And if Sam won, then Raiden wouldn't have had a chance and Armstrong would be right, so his philosophy would proceed as normal. It's really kind of win-win for a crazy blood knight.

• Locked thread