Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Goddammit, goddammit, goddammit. WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

The BBC has sent out a press release that is under embargo until midnight, so we've got a little under five hours until we get the news. And it's apparently big poo poo.

So, it's either that cache of missing episodes, or ... bye bye, Matt. :smith:

Me, for the next five hours: :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:smithicide::smithicide::smithicide::smithicide:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
My personal shortlist of people I want to see as The Doctor:

Idris Elba
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Richard Ayoade
Rupert Grint
Tilda Swinton
Emma Watson
Stephen Fry
Bill Bailey

(None of these are going to happen)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Hey, if it's Rupert Grint, the Doctor finally gets to be ginger!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Aiden Gillen.

With Sophie Turner as the new companion. :getin:

Peter Dinklage.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

If it's Tilda, everything is forgiven.

On the other hand, Moffat writing a woman...

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

How the hell would Wil Wheaton of all people know who was cast as the Doctor?

He's friends with a bunch of people who work on the show.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I support Idris Elba for Bond simply because I have yet to be convinced that Idris Elba isn't actually James Bond IRL.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Putting the OLD under John Hurt is just mean.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah but look at all that fan service. What an amazing writer!

Are you allergic to positivity, or what?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

Like the numbering of the Doctors.

There have been 11 Doctors, and 1 who betrayed the name to fight in the Time War.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

That's all true, but the numbering of the Doctors isn't something they haven't mentioned- there are lots of references to nine, ten and eleven being the ninth, tenth and eleventh Doctors. This 'he betrayed the name of the Doctor so he doesn't count' poo poo is just a clumsy retcon.

No, it's not. It's a big thematic point about the Doctor and about the character that has been clearly being built up to for a while. All the stuff in the past about Doctor becoming the word for warrior, and 11 trying to tone it down, is clearly leading up to this, an examination of who the Doctor is beyond his name. It's brilliant.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I thought The Last Day was pretty okay - nothing groundbreaking or even great, but a fun bit of tone-setting. I think it just looks bad because it came after Night of the Doctor, and anything coming after that would look bad.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Martha Jones is actually a Rutan, though.

I keep seeing this floating around as a joke - what's the basis of it?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sonance posted:

I wouldn't mind having Richard Curtis as show runner for a few years. I guess it depends on how highly invested he is in his movie directing career.

Realistically, it's probably going to be someone like Chris Chibnall. His episodes sucked and Torchwood under his tenure was mediocre at best, but enough people are going gaga over Broadchurch that some would consider him an automatic choice.

I wish they'd revive the script editor/head producer model. Moffat would be great if his sole area of responsibility was the writing, but the production side has been a mess.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Giant rolling pepper pots that kill you while screaming about it.

Robots that just really, really want you inside them.

Hell, how stupid Doctor Who sounds on the outside is a big part of why I put off getting into it for so long. I don't regret it, but determining the quality of episode of this show based on a summary alone doesn't work. I'm surprised Moffat doesn't at least have a little good will saved up still from the 50th, as that seems to be generally well liked even a few weeks out.

A bunch of very old men bicker with each other while they try to save the world from shapeshifters.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

moths posted:

Do other spoiler threads get this pessimism shaming when a turd's on the horizon?

You just earnestly used (and possibly created) the phrase "pessimism shaming." Perhaps it's time to step back from the computer and reevaluate what you're doing.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
RTD wrote Midnight. That excuses virtually any sin of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Bown posted:

Does ANYONE like Vastra, Strax and Jenny? Is there anyone except Moffat himself who wants to see them back?

Hi! :)

• Locked thread