Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Bring back Doctor Donna. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

"Wil Wheaton's Blog" posted:

Am I the only person who knows who has been cast as the next Doctor, and who has known this was coming for several weeks? I figured that if it filtered down to me, it must be common knowledge among people who matter.
…now I feel kind of special. Yay me.

Something about Wil Wheaton bragging about knowing rubs me the wrong way. Mostly because I don't know who it is yet. This is in response to the story about Chiwetel Ejiofor as having 7/1 odds. What were Matt Smith's odds back when Tennant announced he was leaving?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So what was the humble part of that humble brag?

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

chazburgr posted:

Something about Wil Wheaton bragging about knowing rubs me the wrong way. Mostly because I don't know who it is yet. This is in response to the story about Chiwetel Ejiofor as having 7/1 odds. What were Matt Smith's odds back when Tennant announced he was leaving?

I doubt he was on any of the lists, being an unknown and all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How the hell would Wil Wheaton of all people know who was cast as the Doctor?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gally posted:

I dislike the idea that the terrible thing the forgotten doctor did was end the time war. The Doctor has taken credit for that one, over and over again. It would just seem odd to me if he distanced himself from that incarnation so much, but yet freely volunteered the information about what he did over and over. Which would mean that what Hurt's Doctor did was far worse than ever genocide of his own people. :ohdear:

I hope that Hurt is a whole Doctor, with a bunch of adventures and starts off as a cool guy. That the implication is he did more than just the Time War, and was a total Doctor we'd really like. Hopefully in his small appearance he'll make as much of an impact as Jacobi did as The Master. This would also open up the idea of Big Finish audios with Doctor Hurt, if he's interested.

Related to this, I hope that he had some darker moments in the Time War besides the end, because it leads to the greater narrative of the Valeyard, that the Doctor is getting closer and closer to this inevitability, that he was unable to change his own future. We've seen glimpses of that with :wom: and what 10 did to The Family of Blood, as well as 11's dark moments in A Good Man Goes to War and what he did to the dude in Dinos on a Spaceship. And of course the Dreamlord. Tick-tock Doctor, he's coming. The very act of Eccleston's Doctor deciding to "unname" his last incarnation and call himself the 9th Doctor while in his 10th incarnation itself paves the way for the Master's odd comment about the Valeyard being "between the Doctor's 12th and final incarnation." By trying to absolve his guilt for whatever he did, Eccleston's Doctor moved the prophecy forward that he's been trying to avoid since his Trial.

Which makes me hope that 12 is a darker, more edgier Doctor. He should still have mostly moments of levity and niceness, and be the good guy. But at the same time he should have more moments of darkness. Like a better played 6. I think Ben Daniels could nail this. The fear is that any minute now he could snap and do some really bad things, and even become so desperate to extend his life that he'd do anything to live. Thus the story of this regeneration becomes one of redemption and renewal when he inevitably gets his new cycle of regenerations. We could then leave the whole emo/dark/"I don't want to go"/"I'm so old" Doctor that we've had since 2005 behind.

The danger in this is it's a long game, and we saw how a darker Doctor backfired with Colin's. If they cast an older Doctor they'll be courting danger by losing twee new fans as it is who want a young sexy lurvly Doctor. Make him kinda jerky and it could really hurt the show, interesting narrative be dammed.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

How the hell would Wil Wheaton of all people know who was cast as the Doctor?

He's friends with a bunch of people who work on the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He learned who all the doctors are due to him traveling through time and space with a space-pedo

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 5, 2013

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Shut up Wesley!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

He's "friends" with a bunch of people who work on the show.

So... Felecia Day's playing a younger Doctor Donna. Got it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
My guess? Wheaton Doctor.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Patrick Stewart as the Doctor would set off the biggest nerdsplosion ever.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm fond of the idea someone floated in the old thread where McGann, would die, regenerate into Hurt, who would go back in time to fight in the Time War alongside McGann, do whatever horrible thing, then kill McGann and cause him to regenerate in Eccleston. That way he'd be a real incarnation of the Doctor, who did something so horrible that he then altered his own personal timeline to erase himself from history.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

chazburgr posted:

Well seeing how he says it's common knowledge for anyone who matters and seeing how none of us know, I guess we the fans don't matter. It amazes me how easily he makes himself look more like an arrogant dick head.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

So far as I can tell (and I've looked), there are no "levels" of Doctor Who canon. It's pretty much just "was on TV" and "was not on TV." Correct me if I'm wrong about this wacky time-travel show.

The story I heard was that the comics guys were like "uh, no, we are not doing the Time War, we cannot even begin to do that justice."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gau posted:

So far as I can tell (and I've looked), there are no "levels" of Doctor Who canon. It's pretty much just "was on TV" and "was not on TV." Correct me if I'm wrong about this wacky time-travel show.

The story I heard was that the comics guys were like "uh, no, we are not doing the Time War, we cannot even begin to do that justice."

There's also a shitload of stuff written for the TSR Doctor Who RPG back in the 80's that nobody acknowledges.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I just go with everything is canon and nothing is canon.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gally posted:

I dislike the idea that the terrible thing the forgotten doctor did was end the time war. The Doctor has taken credit for that one, over and over again. It would just seem odd to me if he distanced himself from that incarnation so much, but yet freely volunteered the information about what he did over and over. Which would mean that what Hurt's Doctor did was far worse than ever genocide of his own people. :ohdear:

This - it's not at all in the character of the Doctor to not own his actions, for better or worse, and he has owned up to the war hundreds of times. The only way it makes sense is if he did something even more heinous than multiple genocide, and then it's really not a great direction for the character to go in. He's not meant to be the Darkest Ever Heart of The Universal Storm, if you ask me. Occasionally morally ambiguous, but not flat-out evil.

00Kevin posted:

There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

And this - I much preferred the, for the lack of better term, character progression between McGann and Eccleston.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

That was also supposed to have lead into a "Ninth Doctor: Year One" comic storyline which would have ended with 9 leaving his then-companion (Destrii) behind to go off and fight in the Time War.

Yeah, they didn't Nine to have appearances in any media that didn't involve Rose (which is understandable, really, since it doesn't make sense to confuse new viewers who won't be as familiar with the comics).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

No, but you might be the only one who knows who an obscure guy with a fresh face is.
You misunderstood me. I was complaining that nobody seems to be suggesting we bring an unknown in... not that people are suggesting for a known face. But witty comment dude, internet props to you.

I'll throw my stones in the 'older man' circle. I love it when Doctor's completely do an aboutface compared to their previous ones PLUS I feel we're reaching the end of this ~quirky random~ gimmick. Hopefully.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Robert Sheehan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sheehan)

But only if he acts like his character on Misfits.

VVV He'll win them with his irish charm!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 5, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

happyhippy posted:

Robert Sheehan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sheehan)

But only if he acts like his character on Misfits.

What, insufferable prick? Jesus, way to get the show cancelled quickly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

I feel like they could put a wig on Patrick Stewart and he'd be a pretty righteous William Hartnell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like they could put a wig on Patrick Stewart and he'd be a pretty righteous William Hartnell.

"It's too late, my dear Chatterton! I've seen every--I've seen it all, hmm?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

Only if Will Wheaton is on as a companion for one episode, duplicating what happened with Peter Davidson's Doctor and Adric in Earthshock.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Alan Tudyk for The Doctor. There's your ginger. :colbert:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek posted:

Please keep this thread to legitimate plot spoilers. No more derails over who is going to replace Matt Smith.

Aatrek posted:

Please keep this thread to legitimate plot spoilers. No more derails over who is going to replace Matt Smith.

Aatrek posted:

Aatrek posted:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"It's too late, my dear Chatterton! I've seen every--I've seen it all, hmm?"

Thanks, now I know I'll never get to see this. Jerk :smith:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Astroman posted:

The danger in this is it's a long game, and we saw how a darker Doctor backfired with Colin's. If they cast an older Doctor they'll be courting danger by losing twee new fans as it is who want a young sexy lurvly Doctor. Make him kinda jerky and it could really hurt the show, interesting narrative be dammed.

You know, they did a darker and edgier version with some of Smith and Tennant's episodes just fine. Hell, McCoy pulled off grinning evil "glad he's on our side" style things all the time. And the Doctor can be a jerk without any trouble. Tom Baker's whole schtick is that he's a huge jerk who knows more than you.

But choking your companion out and then demanding she stay and serve you in exile, right before a long hiatus? Easily the most uncomfortable scene Doctor Who has ever filmed. Ain't no getting the poison out of that well, even if the guy cast is absolutely brilliant in the role and should've lasted for years and years.

So basically, just don't write a story where the Doctor beats his companion without cause and never apologizes and you'll be good to go.

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2012/04/does-it-offend-you-twin-dilemma.html posted:

And I’m not just talking about the scene in which he strangles Peri. I mean, that’s an appalling bit of bad taste. No, I’m talking about everything that comes after that. The Doctor reacting to it by declaring that he’s going to be a hermit and effectively kidnapping Peri to spend the rest of his life tending to his needs. The Doctor’s complete failure, at any point in the story, to actually apologize to her for it. To, in fact, declare that he’s an alien bound to different values and customs and that he’s who he is whether she likes it or not. And her grinning broadly at him as he says it, clearly OK with this abusive bastard who tried to kill her not even caring about it.

Even if we do hold rigidly to the “no hanky-panky in the TARDIS” rule this is difficult to accept. The Doctor attempts to choke his heavily sexualized female companion. He physically and violently assaults her in a manner that is chillingly familiar as a real-world phenomenon that happens to women at the hands of their male partners. Then he drags her against her will to what he says could be an entire life in which “it shall be your humble privilege to minister unto my needs.” She readily forgives him and grins stupidly at his charms. It’s not Nicola Bryant’s fault - she plays the material as well as it can be played. Nor is it Baker’s fault. They try to make the scenes watchable, but nobody could possibly make this work. Peri is violently assaulted by a man who overtly sees her only purpose as being to serve him, and chooses happily to stay with him. The show treats this man as its hero and expects the audience to tune in nine months later to watch his continuing adventures.

Of course they declined to. Baker’s Doctor is completely poisoned here. There’s nothing whatsoever that can be done to make this character watchable to anyone who has seen this. And I speak from experience here. This is the story that killed my parents’ interest in Doctor Who. To this day my mother refuses to accept the possibility that Baker might be good on the audios simply because of how much this story made her hate him. That’s how bad this played to people. That’s how you kill Doctor Who in under a hundred minutes. You make it about a battered woman idolizing her abuser.

Yeah, OK. I take it back. This is the worst loving story ever.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 6, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, The Twin Dilemma is easily the worst serial for so many reasons.

I can't stand almost any of the Sixth Doctor's run. Colin Baker's run is definitely far more tainted by the writing than the acting. The same kind of condescending and indignant eye-rolling that Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston offer their companions is charming on them because you get the sense that they really like and respect the people they travel with, whereas Six seems to barely tolerate Peri until very late in his run. The problem isn't that he's "dark" (in fact, there's not a hell of a lot that's "dark" about his reign compared with a lot of New Who), it's that he's less human than loving Sherlock Holmes, who has at least always seemed to care about Watson.

I will admit to being in the minority and thinking that some of it has to do with Colin's acting, though. I think even if he were given some of the Douglas Adams years, he would have come off as haughty, aloof and annoying.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Did someone say sixth doctor :colbert:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Is that supposed to be ten? Which is confusing, because isn't that her dress in Asylum of the Daleks? What city-scape is that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rent posted:

Is that supposed to be ten? Which is confusing, because isn't that her dress in Asylum of the Daleks? What city-scape is that?

It looks like the library.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

That's what I was thinking. Looks right. Just threw me off because that looks like the red dress/toolbelt thing from Asylum

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Rent posted:

That's what I was thinking. Looks right. Just threw me off because that looks like the red dress/toolbelt thing from Asylum

Couldn't it be safe to assume this is the Oswin version of Clara, presumably some time before she goes to the Asylum? Timey-wimey and all that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

I'm sorry I LIKED Moffat's cliffhanger, I thought it was brill. And if you read the Shroud of Sorrow novel, I think it will answer a lot of things for you, I know it did for me. Well, does. I'm still reading it.

I picked up the book the other day for my kids and gave it a read with this comment in mind. It doesn't answer anything. It is its own self-contained adventure. There's a lot of nice bits in there which are references to prior Companions, but it doesn't connect at all with the cliffhanger.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Royal W posted:

Couldn't it be safe to assume this is the Oswin version of Clara, presumably some time before she goes to the Asylum? Timey-wimey and all that.

I think it's more likely to be the Time Lady version. She's wearing red and it would explain how she got there - in her own TARDIS.

ButtercupSaiyan
May 25, 2013

by Fistgrrl
[accidental double post]

ButtercupSaiyan
May 25, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Well, I'm 27 and my first thought when I saw the new Doctor was "OH MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD" ... the fact he's Ollivander doesn't hurt either! The guy has an amazing filmography, if anyone can pull this off, this guy can.

quote:

I think it's more likely to be the Time Lady version. She's wearing red and it would explain how she got there - in her own TARDIS.

The thought of Clara with her own Tardis makes my brain hurt... I can kind of see that happening though, after all, she's scattered across the Doctor's timeline now like confetti and she's the new "Impossible Girl" ... nothing is too daring or strange for her. She's the new River Song.

ButtercupSaiyan fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Twisted Perspective posted:

I don't quite recall time ladies sporting the same utility belt Oswin had in AotD. :v: Must be a fashion statement.

• Locked thread