Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the original run of the show, but it kind of pisses me off that they would relegate McGann's regeneration to a webisode.

At least they're not calling it a goddamned TARDISode.

As long as it ends up on the bluray box set, I'm happy. I'd rather get a prequel webisode thing than have it crammed into the episode proper to the detriment of character development there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't remember where it was (although I think its an 8th Doctor audio drama), but I recall a line to the effect of "When you're bouncing around between planets and galaxies like I do, it becomes a rather pointless venture to try to track your subjective age." I think the context was a companion or some guest character asking the Doctor about his birthday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cams posted:

It also amuses me that people hold so tightly to the idea that the show has to honor things like a limit on regenerations. If they want to get around it they'll just make something up, it's a TV show.

I don't think anyone has said they expect the 13 limit to be held to as a hard rule. It's just something they need to address in some fashion. A throwaway line or a "Last Life of the Doctor" episode to explain why the Doctor isn't bound by the 13 regeneration rule, and problem solved.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

Oh funk yes, a spoiler thread

SPOIL ME BABY I WANNA KNOW

Sadly we don't know much anymore :( I hear John Hurt is in the anniversary special though!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Basically the OP has everything we know as confirmed and rumoured. Since filming is over and done with, it's going to be pretty much under wraps for quite some time now, unless some production guy leaks something. Until then, we're just waiting for trailers. Which I'd imagine is October at the absolute earliest. :(

Man, you're The Doctor. You were there, man! You should tell us what went down!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Whizbang posted:

She was on her third regeneration, so she gave him 9.

We know of three for sure, but there could have been more between Baby Melody, the little girl in astronaut suit and New York (who may or may not still be the same regeneration as Baby Melody) and Amy's friend Mels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Smith's been great. I remember I was at my grandmother's house watching Doctor Who Confidential when he was announced, and as soon as he appeared on the screen she was like, "Oh, no! Just look at his hair!"

Still, it's a real pity that he didn't get three "conventional" seasons like Tennant did, what with the splitting and all that. Hopefully he'll get a better send-off than part two of "The End Of Time".

I'm glad that his run more or less equals Tennant's in length. 3 full seasons, 4 Christmas Specials, and a non-Christmas Special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Porkchop Express posted:

So how is this gonna work now? It says he is only going to have a few specials, but I thought the newest season started well before Christmas, and the Christmas special is to be one of his episodes.

Nope, the next thing that's going to air for Doctor Who is the Anniversary special in November. Then there's the Christmas Special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Valeyard was between 12 and 13 anyway, so we wouldn't see anything about Valeyard til the end of the 12ths tenure, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is the McGann regeneration scene confirmed? I had heard the rumors but I must've missed the confirmation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still like the idea of "Matt Smith is playing the 11th Doctor but he's the 12's incarnation of that Time Lord" theory, harkening back to the whole "not in the Name of the Doctor" thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Playing it off that way lets all the extra stories and 11 references stand that way, so it's the best of both worlds. Hurt can play the 9th Doctor, but whoops he does lovely things that end the Time War so lets not call him "Doctor" any more and then regenerates into Eccleston who is the 9th person to bear the name Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tomtrek posted:

The "Movie Poster" for The Day of The Doctor was just released:

I kind hope that the Christmas Special is also titled in the ________ of the Doctor format. Make is a loose trilogy of sorts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Senor Tron posted:

Rose is in this, so it will be before that.

That's not certain. Rose got out of that dimension once before, she could do it again. Or the doctors go back and encounter her earlier on her own timeline. Or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'd wager it'll be something like "Fall of the Doctor" considering the "Fall of the Eleventh, Trenzalor" nonsense from Dorium's Head.

I thought we already got The Fall of the Eleventh at trenzalor.

"How do we get down there?"
"We fall! Geronimo!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

I would love to see Donna and 13 share the screen.

Do you mean Capaldi/12? Or are we predicting a Donna/13th Doctor meetup?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wolfechu posted:

They do, but only after they've regenerated, and bump into themselves at anniversary specials.

Time Crash's explanation for this was cute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

I think it helps underline the fact that each incarnation of the Doctor is a different facet of the same person. It makes total sense that at least one incarnation of the Doctor wanted more time; and it was set up as part of the story. The whole cafe scene with Wilf stressed that from a certain point of view, regeneration is still death. 10 dies, 11 walks away.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PassTheRemote posted:

Seems that Fathom Events is doing a screening of Day of the Doctor, on Monday the 25th. Wondering why wait two days, I doubt Sunday evenings are a huge time for movie theaters, but ok. Too bad I will miss it for a screening of Akira at another theater that night...

A handful of theaters are doing simulcast viewings on the 23rd, and a whole slew more are doing the 2-days-later one. It was probably hard to get theaters to block off a screen for Doctor Who on a Saturday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, that also calls him the Twelfth Doctor.

It calls him the 12th Doctor actor. Which is also inaccurate, because if you count Hurndall and Cushing, Smith is #13

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lampsacus posted:

What does the doctor say around 5:50? "friends companions... *mumble*.." ?

"Friends, companions I've known, I salute you. Cass...I apologize. Physician, heal thyself..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kevos Setzer posted:

I thought it would grow old after the fifth time, but every person that comes into the thread with "HOLY loving poo poo PAUL MCGANN" makes me grin.

My biggest regret is that I saw a "HOLY poo poo McGANN" before getting to watch the video on my own. My second biggest regret is being so hyped that I send the youtube link to my best friend with the accompanying text "HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo McGANN IS BACK!!!!" I felt like a bit of an rear end in a top hat after that.

I redeemed myself partially by making sure my wife watched the video with no prior knowledge. She's a big fan of the audio dramas, so her jaw hit the floor right around "Not the doctor you were expecting".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

Oh god, there's that c-word again. Why do people give a poo poo about something being 'canon' or not? It's literally the most meaningless thing in the universe.

Having something officially confirmed/endorsed by the creative team behind a property helps give a sense of solidarity and continuity (in the non chronological sense) to the universe. Having a list of officially recognized works/concepts can lend a sense of weight that a canon-free free-for-all can lack.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

:confused: Yes I know? What makes you think I didn't understand this? That kind of sperging is exactly what I was complaining about.

But in a show as long running as this with so many tv stories, novels, audios, comics, video games where the writers obviously don't (and have never) given a poo poo about the canonicity of anything don't you think it's a bit silly to even think about whether something is officially canon or not? Can't you just enjoy the stuff you like and ignore the stuff you don't like?

Like to me the only canon Master appearance in the revival is in Utopia. And all the poo poo about the Doctor being half human never happened.

The "I'll go with what I like and ignore what I don't like" is certainly a valid option, but some people (including myself) enjoy the idea if having a curated body of work that "counts" and is considered "official" by whoever is in charge of the whole thing.

If you prefer more fast and loose continuity, go for it, it's a free universe. I'm just happy that Moffat, show runner of Doctor Who in 2013, decided that Molly, Charlie, Lucie, and the rest of the 8th Doctor's companions are now considered "official" in the ongoing narrative of the Doctor as shown on television.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The old boy has been MIA for awhile now, and lord knows he's survived worse than a spaceship exploding around him.

I rather like that other than Weeping Angels, Cybermen, and Daleks (And honestly, Daleks haven't been showing up a lot lately), revived-Who doesn't seem to want to recycle villains or monsters all too often.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, at this point the only thing left on my 50th anniversary wishlist is some manner of regeneration that ends in Eccleston. I don't care if its Hurt -> Eccleston or some kind of wibbly wobbly thing where they replay Night of the Doctor except with McGann making a different choice and regenerating McGann -> Eccleston, but I just want to be able to visually witness an unbroken string of regenerations (Not counting the dubiousness of the Troughton -> Pertwee one).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And to be completely honest, I'd be perfectly okay with having someone regenerate into a figure with big ears and short hair that you only see from behind and have them play a stock "Fantastic" or something. If Eccleston just doesn't want to return, even for a couple hours worth of shooting a regeneration scene, that's certainly his prerogative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neowyrm posted:

Barack Obama as the ninth doctor

Hey, maybe then he'd be able to reveal his plan to fix the world economy...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well there was the whole "Clara if you go in there you will die." thing that never got addressed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

So I didn't see Hurt start to explode and see Christopher Eccleston facial features?

I ran through it frame by frame and it cuts away before Hurt's features start to change.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

Its pretty obviously Hurt turning into Eccleston and not him turning into anyone else.

Oh I'm not denying that at all. They just didn't show any Eccleston on screen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly wish they had just digitally Eccleston'd Hurt's face. They could even have still cut away before the regeneration effect was done, or pulled out to a longer shot with no clear face on screen, but after seeing the 8->War regeneration, my one wishlist item left for the 50th was a War->9.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ben Soosneb posted:

It's the eyes. look at the eyes.

Yannick_B posted:

But they did that. John Hurt suddenly has Christopher Eccleston's eyes for a few frames.

I'm looking at it right now and I'm not seeing anything other than shiny regeneration light.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Really? Spot the difference:

I'm not seeing it, but oh well. I'm not too fussed about it. I just wish it had been a bit more explicit, that's all. In addition to not-noticeable-to-me eyes, maybe

While composing this post I brought up both images, zoomed in, and flipped back and forth. Y'all are totally right. I see it more in the eyebrows and chin rather than the eyes themselves, that's what was throwing me off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

I tend to agree, frankly I think it would have worked better too without forcing it to be a Christmas episode as well.

Do we know just how Christmassy this one is though? It seems to take place during the winter, but so far it doesn't look very holiday-filled. (From the whole 15 seconds we saw)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm all for getting the regeneration limit addressed sooner rather than later. I'm pretty neutral on Moffat in general. He's had some hits and misses, but he does tend to be a little too far up his own rear end about his fantastic, clever, wheels-within-wheels-within-mazes-within-puzzle-box plots. If we can just bang out whatever idea he has for bypassing the 13 lives limit and move on with the show here in the Christmas special, I think the franchise will be better for it, rather than having it looming (HA!) over our heads for Capaldi's first season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thepokey posted:

Although I think I really would have preferred dealing with the end of a regeneration cycle to be something that ran for a whole season, something that dogged and haunted the doctor as opposed to something pretty much introduced and pretty much wrapped up in one episode.

Personally, I'd rather avoid another season-long arc from Moffat. He seems incapable of wrapping anything like that up in a timely or satisfying manner. Look at "Silence will fall"/Exploding TARDIS. That was touted as the big mystery that Season 6 would address, and here we are in the Season 7->8 Christmas Special and maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get an answer to that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Honest question: for those of you who aren't Moffat fans, would you rather the "12 regenerations" thing become an ongoing thread during Capaldi's run (which will at least be overseen by Moffat at the start) or would you rather it get resolved in a single episode?

Even as someone who's been okay with a lot of Moffat's work, I think he works better when he's more restrained. His work under RTD is some of my favorite stuff from the revived series; its when he's given free rein to indulge himself that things get out of hand.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd rather he didn't deal with it at all and leave it for someone else. He's basically taking everything he can from the toy box and just leaving scraps. I'd rather he leave some things hanging for the next show runner.

The thing with Doctor Who is that there's always something new that can be done. Yeah, Moffat is taking the "big ones" of the 50th anniversary and the regeneration limit, but the next show runner can still play around in the nigh infinite sandbox the Doctor Who universe offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the "leaked synopsis" can be one of two things; either it's accurate and that's why it matches up with the elements seen in the teaser image, or someone saw the teaser image and made up a bunch of plot elements that fit it.

• Locked thread