Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tough choice, but let's go with A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

D, we still need to find Basscop!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

H vote for me. Our father ignores us, maybe Uncle Jorah will be able to be a real father figure for us.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

the_steve posted:

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

Voting for this G.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C. We may fail and start crying but I think that's perfectly fine being 4 years old, bleeding and being nearly crushed by a tree.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A Terrible Person posted:

A heads up to folks new to Diogines' CYOA threads and a reminder to everyone else voting for my suggestions: most of my ideas tend to have serious negative hilarious consequences in the long run and/or help get us killed.

Don't knock yourself short; entertaining and obviously deadly choices are great. Just not two updates into a game.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1.B, A, E, D, C, H, G, F

2. A

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E.

And fantasize about holding gates while we stand silently.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Copacabana posted:

voting for Lanky Coconut Tree's plan.

Yup, gotta stay with Daddyo on this one.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

and with a heavy emphasis on crying.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Sogol posted:

Og the Mad

Nah. We've done a Madgod already, do we really need to be Mad Og as well?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

This, plus the fact we already voted to take our Asherah studies more seriously, plus the fact we've heard Asherah during our drowning, plus the fact we've seen Asherah's power in the form of our dad shooting lightning bolts, plus the fact we've seen no evidence of El existing whatsoever outside of Jalitha's stories, we're just going to straight-up decide our old god was a demon and switch from part-time to full-time El worshipers? That's a little ridiculous, I think.

I'm thinking that Asherah/El might be the same deity, just practiced differently by groups of humans. Their creation story is similar to the one in the OP, and the lightning, while bad-rear end, didn't affect the El followers. It may be that El is a superior god and protecting them, or that the magic lightning and how the warriors didn't die from said lightning is due to it all coming from the same power source, the Creator. You can blame the difference between rituals on human fallacy trying to understand their creator. I'm inferring that, based on their different histories our father and mother's respective ancestors had different experiences at the beginning of the world that reflects their religious practices. I think in our 11 year old head we might be able to reconcile Asherah and El together that fulfills our earlier vote of believing in both.

That being said:

Tudhalias posted:

Awesome poem

SerSpook posted:

^
These dudes being completely unhurt after the lightning is suggestive that El is pretty real.

Voting this in addition to what I said. Give this first, then give the more plain-text explanation. Even if translation fucks poo poo up, it'll still impress Jalitha.

Voting for all of this.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, if we hint at all that we aren't happy at him for killing our father, that could be instant death or life shoveling cow poo poo. This man, in his own mind, believes he just saved our 11 year old life from an abusive man who shoots out lightning who may be a cannibal as well. What would your response be if the son of that person immediately goes sassy or gets angry at you and mocks your religion?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

maxhush posted:

I think us showing up with, being near, then grabbing the tooth off him might give the game away slightly. That and it'll probably slip out when we're bawling anyway.

And I'm sure going up to him and saying "My dad shot lightning at you" :smug: might give the game away a little bit more.

I think it's a funny option, but I don't think it's something in character for us to do.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

He may not outright kill us, but being a jerk to the man who just killed our father for basically being a jerk to him is not going to make our life any better. It will make Tudiya consider us the angry, potentially powerful son of the man he just killed right in front of us.

Diogines posted:

"Sweetling" Jalitha says "This is Tudiya, King of Zepath." Jalitha goes on "He says sweetling that the time to cry is over and you need not be afraid because he has saved you and that he did not know he would do so when he left his city, but surely El put wanderlust into his heart to come here. But he says sweetling that-" The man interrupts and says something. Jalitha nods and says something back, then turns back to you. "Sweetling, he says that he has some very important questions for you and I can't help you answer, I can only explain to him what you mean, because he says even though he does not know your words, he is a king and because he is a king, he knows if any person tries to trick him." Tudiya says something else, Jalitha nods. "He asks, have I taught you about El, sweetling?"

He's testing us to see if we can follow him back and be a good member of his society. I doubt being a sassy 11 year old will pass that.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

This is a statement, not a question. Weigh in if you want to say this, folks.

As a general rule of thumb:

Questions for information-Fire away!
Statements-Get input/possible mini vote, unless they are truly innocuous
Inflamatory statements-Also, mini vote

I'm all for making the statement about cutting our hair, but don't mention Asherah.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Unless you honestly think that presenting theological confusion at best, or calling our kidnappers a bad name at worst, would lead to the King striking the head off of an 11 year old kid he just saved, and ending the game, that comes down to a value choice on a certain direction.

Yes. While Diog didn't say that it would lead to instant death, it would have lead to serious consequences. It was warned enough to have him quote the op:

Diogines posted:

A question, so I understand your response.

You understand that this is intentionally highly provocative and insulting, as the implication is that you are calling him evil or a monster, right? I only mention that because I suspect many people might not realize that and only voted it because it was funny? I am not sure. This is also a good time to quote something from the OP.

Diogines posted:

You do not have plot armor. Bad decisions can get you killed or wreak horrible consequences which you did not intend.

I just want to be certain you understand that this response is intentionally provoking/insulting the largest, most well muscled man you've ever seen (who ate lightning and lived, after it melted a hole in metal armor) and who may be a king. If you want to say something which is very probably inflammatory, by all means, choose the path you want to take, but I don't want anyone to be shocked by the outcome of their decision.

I am not sure why people are thinking maxhush's response was harmless enough to carry on with the game normally. It was one of the few options to have been described by the GM as on that potentially lead us to a confrontation we weren't prepared for, not even a week into the game. There were other ways to make the same statement without the intentional provoking, but that was not what was voted for.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I don't think Tudiya felt that us as 11 years old would be threatening, but saying something like that and living with/near the king in his realm until we were at an age to take revenge would have been foolish on his part.

We chose to believe in El alongside Asherah anyway. I doubt we would have cut our hair while living with our dad to appease El, so I'm not inclined to worry about having our hair cut now to fit in the society we are going to live with now.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

She gives you a hug and shakes her head. "Does it matter, Sweetling?"

Yes, Mother. My world has been turned upside down in a day, and it feels like my whole life was a lie. I would like to know what was truthful about it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Well, poo poo. Option 1.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

If they offer clothing for us, sure. But don't ask. Let Lil Enki hang wild and free for just a bit longer.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

What is expected of us in Zepath? What sort of work would we be doing?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

My father was teaching me how to read messages from the sea but I didn't learn that much. Will I learn anything like that from you? What else will I learn?

No to asking this, and whatever name we pick now for our puppy should not be set in stone till we see it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OhYo posted:

Dogs in Zepath's culture may be just like that. One-notch up from pests. More like bottom feeders and UNCLEAN. If we're meant to be the cultured-savage or beast-boy turned civil, playing with and keeping a dog is the last thing to do while acclimating to a new culture.

Instead of just straight up saying no to a dog because we might think it's unacceptable in a city we haven't seen yet, why don't we ask the king (who probably is Danal's dad with the hints in the answers)?

Tudiya, how are dogs viewed in Zepath? are they acceptable pets?

Also, going to vote for Thegaté for a puppy name.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

As far as J goes, I think it is probably a good idea to get to know the future king. Tudiya is a good man, and deserves our thanks. However, Danal is our future and will likely be someone that we journey with often.

Yes, going with this. BFF's 5evr

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

In case anyone missed this and wants to be a part of another CYOA, OhYo has you covered.

You are even asked what you are wearing! :heysexy:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Also, cannibalism was not ingrained in Og/Ekindel as culturally acceptable, as we were never told about it by anyone in the village except our mother. I see it as being told lies up to this point. Why should Og/Ekindel stay believing in a god that, as taught, didn't care if we lived or die, with our own father trying to beat his teachings into us? We are being given another chance, why not take it?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

My only real point was that the person who raised us for eleven years as our father is our 'real' Dad (what does that silly term even truly mean?), regardless of biology.

He basically ignored us for the first four or five years until we were useful to him. Not exactly parenting but more of being his tool.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

If we spent time with Pagam I'd have been all over C, but we have lovely forest skills.

Yeah, going on an adventure right this second is a bad idea, especially if we are being followed like I think we are.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OhYo posted:

What do you know about El and his angels?

I'm not worried about monsters, I'm worried about Jorah and Pagam killing Danal and grabbing us, and what they might do to us without our long locks.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

Just throwing this out there...but F voters: When we're caught sneaking out with Danal, it's going to look like we're untrustworthy at worst and irresponsible/reckless at best. People are going to want to know why the kings son is sneaking off in the middle of the night, and they're not going to blame the 5 year old.

Do we really want to be thought too irresponsible to watch over our only friend?

Us getting into trouble along with Danal is better for our relationship with Danal. At least at 11 years old it appears to the adults that we were being childish, but Danal will like us more if we get in trouble alongside him than squealing on him.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

If we are going to play, I want to play it safe.

2. CHANGED VOTE TO
3. CHANGED VOTE TO

I'm not to worried about playing with Danal as long as I can either keep an eye on him/hold his hand/be close to the camp. Exploring a bit if fine, but we have a long day tomorrow, and we just had the day of our life.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 5, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I just want us to have a nice walk and give Danal a piggy-back ride.

OPTION C.

OPTION E. :3: "Me monster steed! Rawr!" He'll love it. :3:

OPTION H.

Changing my option 2 vote to .
Changing my option 3 vote to .

E: updated my first post to this.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 5, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

I can only speak for myself but I'm going to use my votes as best as I can to move us away from anything that looks like it would pull us in that direction. I don't doubt Diogines' ability to make whatever happens interesting, but I'd strongly prefer us not to go down such an unoriginal route.

For me we were training to be a priest of Asherah for a reason. We were given the chance to run away from that for a reason. I want to know who or what our father is. There is more to the religions here than just fish god/leviathan and El being a Yahweh analogue. Following Tudiyah into the city appears to be the best way to fulfill that goal for now.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Random Idiot posted:

Everyone is eager to take everything the El worshipers say at face value because it's all hero worship and demon slaying, but I guarantee you we're not getting anywhere near the whole story. Fishdad at least, was very up front about everything fishgod stands for without sugar coating anything.

I agree with that, but fishdad is dead and can't tell us any more about the rituals then to collect sea shells. We know very little about it and unless we are running back and finding another priest I don't think that's going to happen, especially that now we have our hair cut.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Who do you think caused this in the first place? :tinfoil:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

DBF Stab the carburetor and offer it up to the fish god. Eat what remains :black101:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OPTION EF Close your eyes and try to concentrate, to see if you can remember any hints on which way to go. I want to hold Dana's hand while doing so. The last thing I want to do is get Danal lost in the woods alone.

:frogsiren:UPDATE UP ON THE LAST PAGE:frogsiren:

Edit: vv You are right.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 8, 2013