Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna betray dAd first chance we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

EVG posted:

I'd also vote for a return to GBS, if the mods care at all about our opinions.

I never would have found the first game here, and wouldn't have found THIS one if it wasn't linked in the MadGod thread.

As for the girl thing, I am aware of many historical/biblical women who made a difference, I was just saying that with no knowledge of the setting yet I didn't know if that could be the case.

Name one influential woman from the last game... Except Amytis (or, arguably, Beaky!) :)

The female voices in Denziroh's head :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

H

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

H Daddy probably does not give a gently caress what we say, so let's find a big person to deal with him.

I just hope there won't be a plot twist where we find out Jalitha really is some kind sea witch who want's to eat us.

She was obviously trying to sacrifice our hair to her demon god :tinfoil:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A Darker Porpoise posted:

I We need to make Daddy love us, Also highly doubt that our language fluent slave girl hasn't noticed that everyone in the village has massively long braids and is getting up to heathen shenanigans. For all we know she's spiritually scarred us for life, pops has already stated we're defiled.

I'd actually suggest that people seriously consider this as an actual possibility. We don't know poo poo about this world really, and I highly doubt our caretaker hasn't noticed the hair thing when we did at four years old. Or that she didn't receive some instruction in this.

Obviously beating her isn't a proper response, but it is entirely possible she had ulterior motives when it came to cutting our hair. Our uncle is capable of restraining our father to get proper answers regarding the hair-cut, whereas no one else suggested can do so if necessary. Our mother might be able to restrain him too, but uncle is the strongest man in the village.

We are four years old and cannot hope to physically restrain an adult man. If we manage it, it will purely be because El or the god our people worship empowered us to do so.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 22, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nolaterif posted:

D. Yes, she might have had ulterior motives (I think she wants us to grow up in the manner of her people), but I'd rather have us be the sort of person who would defend mistreatment of even the guilty than grow into the kind of person who tries to please others without having an understanding of what that involves.

Yeah but screaming at him to stop isn't going to do anything. He already ignores us, there's no reason this time would be any different. Our uncle, on the other hand, has a history of arguing with him and is stronger than him.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

GloriousDemon posted:

Voting F, she won't suddenly stop being our father's slave if we drag our uncle into this, even if he gets his rear end kicked over this now that just means he's going to be angrier later and might end up killing her as a reprisal.

Take responsibility for it, say we asked to have our hair cut and didn't know it was wrong.

You know, I agree with this. Changing my vote from H to F.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

C

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Jalitha
Father
Uncle Jorah
Mom
Beach
Swimming
Forest
Pagam

2H, pray to both, don't know what to believe.

eta: I think spending time with both father and Jalitha is good for keeping our options open. We get to learn the stories and beliefs of both those who worship El, and our own people. Jorah is clearly a pretty good dude and will be a good adviser or companion on adventures. Mom is good for being mom.

The beach takes priority over the remaining choices due to the message we received there. Swimming, similarly, has importance. The forest and Pagam both seem less important, though I'll admit they'll be useful skills when/if we leave the village.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 24, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

Per IRC request, I added option L to question 1.

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

Changing my vote to L then.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I think a lot of the rationale is less that we'd want to spend time with father and more that we'd be obligated to. Him being the #1 guy on someone's list means that we'd be going out of the way to spend time with him though.

It's because, as high priest of Asherah, he certainly has some knowledge and skills to pass down that will be good to know.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zybourne Clock posted:

I know this game is completely unrelated to Land between the Rivers, but if there's one thing we learned from our time in Akkad it's that rituals that are passed on orally from father to son for thousands of years tend to become multi-generational games of Broken Telephone. Just like Sebek, our father may believe that he has perfect knowledge about the gods. And just like Sebek, it may turn out that some of his knowledge may be wrong or missing. Something spoke to us when we nearly drowned in the sea, and if that voice was a god then I think it's best to get out information straight from the source instead of from a fallible human.

The ritual failing due to incomplete knowledge wasn't really established fact in Rivers and, considering what we learned regarding the gate and holding it, its just as likely different people held the gate for differing amounts of time.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Jesus ... :stare:

Although, that seems a little ... risky? I dunno, I mean, say the vote for first place ended up split between Jorah and Father or something, 51% to 49%. After that though, the loser, with 49% of the vote for first place, doesn't win in any of the other slots save for last place with, say, 15%. Would that mean then that, even though the loser had more votes for first than almost any other choice had for any other slot, it ends up in last place? Just seems like it wouldn't really reflect the general sentiment very well. *shrug*

I think it's already being done like this, though I'm not sure so I'll mention it in thread.

I'd suggest that the votes for losing choices carry over if we don't use a point system. Basically, Father gets say 18 votes for option 1, and Jorah gets 19. Father, for the next choice, could get those 18 votes (as those 18 clearly prefer him over everyone else) plus whatever he gets for the second choice. All other choices that didn't win would get this too, so Jalitha would have like 14 or whatever her actual count actually is, when she goes into the votes for option two. Then she'd get the votes actually cast for her in that slot, and so on.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sucrose posted:

If it really mattered, and you were trying to compile a list like this, it would be most logical to assign first place votes eight points each, second place votes 7 points each, and so on and so forth, and then add them all up and write the list based on total sum of each.

That's why I said if Diog doesn't use a point system.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Wanna learn the true mysteries of Asherah.

edit: Whoever counts votes, changed mine to Uncle Pagam below.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

I left off the other noteworthy persons in your life as I did not imagine you would want to spend time with them over the "winners". If you want to vote for another NPC, go for it.

In light of this, I change my vote from B to Pagam. We can start to work on building boats, so we are never stranded.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

Ask how he reads the weather from the tides. Or if that's too big of a topic, at least how to tell if a storm or catastrophic event is coming.

This, and lets also ask him about voices coming from the sea.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Don't ask if he's our father. I don't necessarily want to directly bring out the voice, but just ask if he knows of or has ever heard voices from the sea.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I guess just tell him. And yes, a storm did come, we recall lightning and the waves rose up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Eh, yeah, why not.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We should really strive to get tattoos describing our dedication to all of the gods of our people, particularly Asherah. Diog, does dad have any tattoos?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D

We might anger the outsiders with Jalitha though, so first ask father if he wants us to get Jalitha, to help translate.

edit: Changing my vote to E

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 27, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changing my vote from D.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Let's blow this joint. Dad's casting a magic spell of some kind, though, so poo poo might be difficult. Still, I think it's pretty clear now that cannibalism does occur during the coming of age ceremony, or can, and that Jalitha is our mother.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Seconding this, and if Not-A is not a vote then B.

Seriously guys, what the hell? Are we supposed to be insane or have severe ADD or something? We just had an overwhelming vote to start taking our studies more seriously so that we can eventually lead the tribe as its high priest, and now we're willing to completely abandon it at the first sign of trouble? This sort of inconsistency is what got us smacked down hard in the last CYOA.

Spitting out Kadai is what hosed us the last game, not something inherently negative to being inconsistent itself.

Also, B is a terrible decision that will accomplish nothing. poo poo is about to get violent, there isn't any time to find anyone else that can do something considering they're all out fishing. You'd be better off praying to Asherah or some poo poo considering dad is using some magic.

Lanky Coconut Tree's plan could be successful though.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The thing is, we very likely don't have much of a choice in whether we go or not. The foreigners have more people with better weapons than the men in our village right now. They likely have a better understanding of fighting. Father's spell might be able to change this, but he could just as easily end up stabbed.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We have learned important information in the IRC.

Baitel has a gate. If we go there, we can hold it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diog, do we have any tortoise gods in our pantheon?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

H and

Seems like the best option based on the poo poo that happened. I envision us basically refusing to cut our hair or surrender the tooth, in honor of our father, even while we refuse to necessarily travel down the same path he did (unless it yields the most power). These times, respect for the father is important and I think we can get away with this. Maybe even get some respect from it.

edit: changing vote.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 28, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Editing my vote to include .

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

This hasn't really been mentioned by anyone, but Jalitha has a basket of pearls, likely the ones we dived for. I bet pearls are why they came trying to open trade too. We have a pretty marketable skill in pearl diving, and the king may allow us to keep some (or all) of the pearls if he's the honorable sort. Though Jalitha may have offered them to him in exchange for being rescued.

Either way, we might be able to have a pretty decent life where we go.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Voting D. to the beach/ocean AND GRAB THE TOOTH. I don't think we can fight worth a drat. We should definitely run.

Whatever we do, we should grab the tooth.

Also voting F: Time to cry. Seriously, we aew ten years old. This poo poo is too heavy.

It was nice to see our dad pull some legitimate sorcery. He should have been teaching us to shoot lightning bolts instead of how to collect drat sea shells.

And to all ye of little faith: Don't you want to see our god's wrath wreck poo poo up? I hope he comes in person.

QUESTION: Where did the basket of pearls come from? Is it normal for there to be a basket of pearls lying in a hut?

We gave Jalitha the pearls we got while swimming in the ocean. We're apparently a pretty decent pearl diver.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Eh, ya know what? gently caress Asherah. I'm changing from H to and

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with finding people is that they certainly already know bad poo poo is happening. We are literally an eleven year old boy, we are not a hero (yet). We almost certainly can't kill the dude that killed father either, and if we do we will pretty certainly be killed by the other 9 men that weren't hit by lightning or killed by us.

The dude that killed dad took multiple shots from the magic, and still stands. Asherah is a chump, the tooth is more trouble than it is worth.

Going elsewhere probably won't work either. We are still within grabbing distance of the many men that came to the village. We possibly can't even get the tooth even if we want it when we go. IMO this vote is basically just to see how we react to this situation and how we're treated. With obvious death options for us like screaming vengeance and stabbing a possible king of a people that can easily destroy our people. And the tooth as potentially loving us over with a fairly obvious demon considering the setting of this game.

eta: Jalitha has a gently caress-ton of pearls, which we were the ones to actually get while diving for them as a hobby. We probably won't be doomed to some life of poverty.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 28, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

^

He didn't kill those guys. They're still breathing, just dazed and might end up dying. We're also being told to come by the most motherly figure in our life, who has always attempted to look out for us as far as we are concerned. Dad consistently beat us and only sometimes praised us, and we only started taking his lessons seriously out of a sense of duty. In character arguments here aren't really as cut and dry as you're making them out to be, and even if they were we define the character.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 28, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

^^^ (SerSpook)

Yeah, but presumably we want to define the character in keeping with how it's developed so far. Seems strange to me if you aren't taking previous decisions, characteristics and reasonable/available in-character world-view into account when you go on to consider what this character would do in a new situation. Yeah, Jalitha was likely the most motherly figure in our life, but that still wasn't a very strong one. Even when we were voting for priorities, she typically came in around the Pagem/Mother category, after spending time with Dad, Jorah, and alone, and even then only typically because people figured spending time with Jorah meant spending time with Jalitha. And while it's certainly true that a big part of us taking our lessons seriously stemmed from a sense of duty, that doesn't really change anything I said; what's happened to that sense of duty? Dad died so we've just given it up then?

If the guys who dropped instantly are still alive, then yeah, my bad, I thought they were dead. Although I suppose people do live through lightning strikes relatively frequently.

Jalitha was actually right up there with Father. I want to say it went Jorah-Ocean-Father-Jalitha.

And right now we don't have much of a defined character. That is what these decisions are essentially doing. All we know is we are eleven, we like Jalitha, we have a feeling of duty to our people, and we like Jorah/the Ocean. We also gave Jalitha a bunch of pearls over the years, so I'd say it is clear we liked her more but our sense of duty prevented us from spending as much time with her.

It isn't inconceivable that certain revelations to us spurred us towards going with them too. For instance, we are almost certainly a tribe that practices ritualistic cannibalism. Someone (Coconut Tree?) pointed out a bunch of stuff suggesting that earlier in the narrative, involving Asherah's myths and the biannual events when boys become men. Another thing to keep in mind is that Asherah's holy symbol is a wide open fish-mouth, preparing to devour.

In addition, the foreigners kidnapping us are under the impression we are also being kept prisoner and are Jalitha's son. And to be honest, the last part might be entirely true. We have no siblings, which seems strange, particularly considering the importance of father's line as priest of Asherah. That suggests our mother is barren, and he considered Jalitha washing ashore to be a gift from Asherah to correct the lack of an heir.

eta: And I think this really bears mentioning. This is definitely out of character knowledge, and I guess feel free to disregard it. We know how the world was made, and it isn't how it happened in Asherah's myths. We see the world being made in the OP. We also know this was going to be the angelgame, and it's based on Dante/Milton. Asherah, IMO, is a straight-up demon and sticking around to worship him will not end well for us. That's also why I think we need to abandon that tooth, like right now.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 28, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The child of the tribe also stepped toward them after a hand was offered. This isn't really kidnapping in there mind, it's rescuing a woman and her child.

We can agree to disagree on using all knowledge available to us, I'm just pushing for what seems likely to be the best outcome or the most interesting story. In this case the two coincide in my mind. I'd also point out that the most out of character votes by far are the vengeance/stabbing votes. We come from a place that doesn't even know violence. We were not raised to fight. We felt a sense of duty to our father, but no particular love.

Looking at it purely in terms of what will work, I don't think it is possible to not end up going with the foreigners either way. They are within easy grabbing distance, there are 9 of them in good condition, Jalitha is right beside us.

And if we want an in character justification to go, the ground is shaking and our dad just did some super scary poo poo. Yeah, we might lose everything we know, but leaving with them right now so they can fight off the monsters of the forest and we can quietly slip away when the crazy poo poo stops seems completely in character.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We'd not actually be going to Baitel for what it's worth. This is a different city, Zetash or whatever it is. And the dude that tanked dad's magic seems quite possibly to be there king, and a hero-king type dude at that. He had armor, Jalitha said that the king specifically saved us and the battlecry was both El and King. Also a sword.

I honestly think the city we are going to IS part of our start and not a reset. I don't think we have that much choice in the matter here, and what choice we did have involved finding some way to stop Jalitha from doing what she did. At that point we can only react.

Like, these guys were going to come no matter what. If Jalitha were alive, she'd have done roughly what she's doing no matter what. This is a continuation of what we've been doing these last few votes, only with more chance for death or being corrupted by a demon.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Our timeline is constructed by dad for us though, without any independent verification that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diog, how much have we learned of El in our time?

Eh, either way,