Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Renzuko posted:

Why does Sargent hatred have breasts?

I think they're meant to be side-effects of taking the drug he agreed to test when he joined the OSI to be the Ventures' bodyguard, which curves his cravings towards Hank and Dean. It's called "Nomolestol" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

qirex posted:

Why didn't they make a "Beaver Inspector" shirt?

It's too simple and similar things are available everywhere if you bother to look. I mean, five seconds on Google Image Search and I get this:

You just need to find the right clip art and font and BOOM! You can start printing these off for your own terrible bachelor parties.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Great episode, even if only for the revelation that L. Ron Hubbard is a ghost inhabiting a robot body (Perhaps maybe a connection to that Ghost Robot superhero?) and also a super-villain.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

muscles like this? posted:

There were 10 episodes for this season but the double length premier counts as two and the Halloween special counts as one more.

And I read that the season finale is going to be double length, too. So it gives us roughly 13 episodes, pretty good going.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Well, I had to get the OSI Shirt-Of-The-Week-Club Shirt as I'm still kicking myself for missing out on a Guild of Calamitous Intent when this all started. Even if it does cost me just under £20.

Did the guy-in-a-dog-costume just disappear before Bum Rush got killed along with Shuttle Cock, Tank Top and Slap Chop?

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 1, 2013

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Have the Dienamonster or the Slaughter Engine, also products of the project that created Vendata, shown up before? Also, nice to know that Rusty apparently did better with his Venturesteins (i.e. got them into production, even if the military just used them for suicide bombing) than Jonas did with his Weaponise-The-Dead project.

Great episode, looking forward to the finale!

Edit:

Joseph and His Multicoloured Nightmare Coat!

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 15, 2013

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

A weak episode, but I'm still looking forward to Season 6 and more of Fat Chance and Dr Henry Killinger.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

notZaar posted:

The best new OSI guy was Bum Rush, just because was an actual bum with a shopping cart. I burst out laughing when they called him out in the episode.

But when we first saw him, he had a guy in a dog suit in his shopping cart, but when we later see him where he, Shuttlecock and Tanktop are killed there's only a bunch of weapons in his shopping cart. Where'd the dog-guy go?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'm amazed by how much Rusty's voice is just Urbaniak's but... I don't know, him trying to sound like himself but a couple decades older? More cranky? Jay-Jay and Phantom Limb sound so different to me, so he has a great range.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

That makes me think of something...after he perfected the cloning, why didn't he start cloning himself? Like...keep a few clones of himself around, and sleep in a modified learning bed to record his memories too, and tell Brock that if he dies, go ahead and "use" one of the clones?

Yeah, the clones would be much younger versions of himself, but that really seems almost like a bonus. As soon as you use one, put another in the tank, and always have a few spares for accidental death, and you can live into your mid 40's or 50, kill yourself, and voila, brand new 20-something year old body. Do the same with Brock (well, if he wants) so that only one person has to "keep the secret" and gives him incentive to stick around to ensure you don't die without someone forgetting to tale a new clone-slug out of the tube.

If anyone asks, just say you perfected a youth treatment, not cloning, and that for "science reasons" it only works with your DNA so you cant' sell it.

But he, himself, would die. Sure, a clone with his memories upto a few days or weeks (maybe months depending on how long the "mission" that took his life was) would be alive, but not the Rusty Venture he knows. It'll be some other Rusty Venture.

He probably had bad feelings about the second Hank and Dean not being the real Hank and Dean but then got over it - part of the comedic sociopathy everyone in this show has. (edit: hell, Dean got over the fact that he was a clone, eventually) I don't think he had the whole thing planned out from the start, he cobbled it together when the boys first died.

Sure, you can play Eclipse Phase and think "Hey, technical immortality is cool!" but your character isn't going to be slitting their throat to give the "ride" a try. It could make sense in an "emergency backup" plan, but then he could think that the idea that he would "survive" in such a way would sit at the back of his head and dull his "fight or flight" senses and thus lead to his first death. This is Rusty Venture - I think he'd rather he doesn't die at all.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

There's a joke about Star Trek's transporters somewhere here. Hell, there's probably a filk by Tom Smith for this.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Babe Magnet posted:

Whatever it is, it should be more of this.

I really hope the next season has Shore Leave and Brock arguing over the minutiae of what makes a good burg.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

LostRook posted:

I still trying to figure out how Wide Wale is a top tier villain with only 40 henchman, 4 personal guards and a barnacle encrusted valet.

Probably the location, it's easier to accomplish a crime in New York with 40 henchmen on the payroll than it is with ~100 in the Grand Canyon.

(I like it that he took the Sperm Whale Tank when he lives/operates right across the street from Venture's place.)

Plus he has connections with the other New York villains whereas The Monarch burns whatever bridges he can from the looks of it.

Also, he's a clear King Pin parody, so maybe he hires extra help when needed? 0-Hour contract henchmen?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man also live in NYC at this point so presumably they will make an appearance.

Action Man is dead, right? Orpheus predicted his death by stroke, I'm sure he was buried in the same episode as Dr Entman was.

I'm sure Rusty is meant to be great at cloning, only continuing his work is illegal.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I always thought Rusty would make a far better villain than a super-scientist if it wasn't for his father's legacy and his own unwillingness to cross that Moral Event Horizon.

So did Dr. Killenger, but we saw how that turned out.

A moment of silence for Think Tank. :(

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Sash! posted:

I thought that was just a joke. Like everyone thought he was gay and she was his beard, but nope.

They tried for a kid, I'd guess it's safe to say he's bi.

I was showing a friend a selection of episodes from season two last week, and it reminded me of what I felt was the best joke in the show at the time - Brock telling that Ünderbiet henchman about the henchman's testicular lump. I wonder if we'll ever get a callback to that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Red Death has been around for decades and only actually works one night a year. What is he doing those other 364 days? Obviously he obsessively lives on the internet and learns every little bit about everyone he might encounter so that he always has the upper hand.

I'd think he had been working for a while and the whole one night a year thing was a relatively recent occurrence. Man must have knocked over quite a few banks in his youth to be living at the standard he does now.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

That was mentioned in a previous thread, but I'm happy to see more people finding it out. There's a real craft to this show, even if things like the ORB fall a little flat.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They did pretty well with Tank Top, Bum Rush, and Shuttlecock. They just had to pick ones that could never actually be GI Joes for one reason or another.

I always felt it was weird that the guy in the dog-costume in Bum Rush's trolley disappeared when 'Rush and the others got outed as turn-coats or whatever.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

A lot of the time you'd wouldn't recognize the reference Venture Bros. is making, but it's still be funny as there is a joke in itself built around the reference.

For example, I have no clue as to the regulars of Andy Warhol's celebrity groupies, but the episode about the Doom Factory arching Venture was still hilarious.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I still feel the best gag is Brock having to break the news of testcular cancer to that one henchman.

Oh, man, we never heard from that guy again, did we? I wouldn't mind hearing about his recovery. :shobon:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

pnumoman posted:

To me, the alternate universe, super-scientist, Broadway hit musical writing, perfect Rusty was just a Rusty that was, you know, not raised like a cartoon child-adventure hero and didn't have all that associated baggage.

I thought the Rusty!© musical would be about his whole being a sidekick. Was there any reason for him to be known as "Rusty" otherwise?

I think the Alt!Doc Venture just recovered from his childhood better.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Executioner:
Give me the Hand of Osiris!

Dr. Venture:
Give me head.

Executioner:
You didn't just say that.

Dr. Venture:
I absolutely did, what are you gonna do about it?

Executioner:
I'm about to kill your sons.

Dr. Venture:
Join the club.

A great episode to introduce someone to the show.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The World Inferno posted:

Venture Brothers is apparently returning sometime this summer.

Really curious if this means we're getting a special or if it's really that far along already.

There was that announcement a while back that "Venture Bros. Will be back in X Days", but I think that it was still a count of 170 days a couple weeks ago. The VB Facebook page occasionally mentioned it.

So probs a special/single longer-than-usual episode?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

RandallODim posted:

there are many of us, the control panel residents

Gang tag time!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bit of a tangent, but I thought The Monarch was the one who blew off Underbheit's jaw (in an attempt to kill Rusty) and Rusty was wrongly accused of it.

Yeah, I was about to ask that - "Wait, his original jaw or prosthetic jaw?"

I think part of the problem could well be that they don't have enough money to have more than four or five voice actors per episode, with Hammer, Publick, Urbaniak and Warburton being must-haves.

Damnit, Urbaniak and Warburton, Pull your weight! You each voice, like, one character each and Hammer and Publick voice, like, twenty each! :argh:

(I'm kidding about that last part.)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

They were happy enough to replace Samurai Jack with Rick and Morty that one time. If they can still fit in the adverts, why worry?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Vord posted:

Along with Fat Chance and Baron Underbite.

The only one I want to see return is Brrrrrrrrick-Frog!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

tarlibone posted:

First of all... pro post.

But I have to ask: is the white figure Dilly Dallying?

Clearly Dilly-Dallying is late for the "pick on the non-coloured dude" party because they... dilly-dally.

Also, holy poo poo, are they really answering questions with regards the ongoing plot?!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I believe that Doc and Jackson may well alter how they write in order not to get pigeonholed - see the whole "show is about failure" thing.

I could see Jonas Sr dying at the end of the arc, but the interesting bit is that Rusty is shown to care about his father despite what had been shown before.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously why was Pete almost naked. The only reason I can think of is HELPeR was going to feed him to Jonas?

A bunch of smoke was starting to build up, right? Maybe a fire, which Pete took off his jacket to snuff out.

Question Friend posted:

Spoiler for an episode that you actually haven't seen yet

Blue Morpho is Vendata and has a touching moment with Jonas Sr now that they're both cyborgs

I love that idea. Blue Vendata, Cyborg Jonas.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

drrockso20 posted:

Which also explains Wide Wale's comment of having "Bad Shark" in himself

When he said that I was sad because it was such a cool moment and I had resided myself to the fact that he was going to die because how else was The Monarch gonna make it outta this one and then Dr Mrs M saves the day.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Man, using the Adult Swim website is such a pain in the rear end. Almost got to 9 minutes in at one point.

Edit: It just switched to playing All This etc etc for no reason. :(

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 18, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'm using Edge, and I haven't put any extensions, or really ever touched it before, so I don't think there's any ad-block on it.

Although I've noticed that Brock's "hup!" climbing up on the Ven-Tech logo, and the scream falling down, have been pitch-shifted up for some reason.

Edit: gently caress, my VPN automatically uses a Ad-Blocker, so I'll turn that part off and see how things go.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 18, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

twistedmentat posted:

I loved the shot of Dr Z and the army of Helpers.

I noticed that what seemed to be a flashback had Z with less hair - Did he shave at one point, only to grow it back before finally going bald permanently? Or perhaps an art error.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Well, I've learnt something today - I thought it was a reference to this.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The GCI had moles in the OSI going way back to Sgt Hatred, and as recently as Doe and Cardholder as well as the agents that Molotov wiped out.

Hatred wasn't a mole. He went AWOL after a super-serum turned him into a black comedy paedophile. He was OSI loyal until that, and now "Nomolestal" has cured him of that, he's back on team YO-ESS-AYE!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Comrade Quack posted:

I’d love to see that book. But I really wonder what it would do to production time on the show itself.

I think the greater issue is possibly tying them down with "canon" if they were to write it. Most of the time for new seasons is most likely arranging a contract for the new season, recording and then the studio they hire to draw it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

So 7:30pm UTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The biggest tragedy of this episode is that it turns out OSI already had a Joy Can - Doc wasted a perfectly good orphan!