Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Luna looks more like an Audino to me than June.

I cannot unsee this and I hate you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Clearly, Luna is secretly a Pokemon. A POKEMON CALLED FUNYARINPA. :tinfoil:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spatula City posted:

Clearly, Luna is secretly a Pokemon. A POKEMON CALLED FUNYARINPA. :tinfoil:

No, Quark's the funyarinpa. Look at those things on his head!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears that all the characters are using there real names this time around.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears that all the characters are using there real names this time around.

Which makes Clover literally the worst at codenames ever.

E:vvvBut then... how does..vvv

:psyboom:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 26, 2013

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Which makes Clover literally the worst at codenames ever.

No, she's the best at it. Think about it; if you use your real name as your codename, nobody will be able to guess your real name.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Is Alice in this game the same as the hitchhiker at the end of 999 or is it Lotus?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is Alice in this game the same as the hitchhiker at the end of 999 or is it Lotus?

Come on now, I think Lotus would have the decency and intelligence to wear more clothes than this. :colbert:

...like, one more article of clothing. But still!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oraculum Animi posted:

That sounds like the kinda question the game will most certainly answer, and that would get anybody else who answers yelled at.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

That sounds like the kinda question the game will most certainly answer, and that would get anybody else who answers yelled at.

That's fair. I was just unsure if it was supposed to be obvious, like Clover.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

When I played 999, I was never really disturbed by the stuff it presented, even the very graphic descriptions of the exploded corpses or murder scenes.

VLR, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of creeping me the hell out, partly with the setting we find ourselves in, but mainly due to the music. Both these tracks, Sinisterness and Eeriness, convey a sense of something being seriously wrong in a way that the music in 999 didn't.

Made playing the game late at night a much more nerve-wracking experience, for me at least.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

There are two characters in the previous game, one named Lotus and one named Alice, and in the sequel there's a woman named Alice who looks exactly like the woman named Alice did in the previous game and you're unsure which character she is?

All right, it's been a while so you could have forgotten her face. But for anyone who need convincing:

For a mummy who's hundreds of years old, Alice is somehow the least mysterious character here besides Clover. She's a woman who was frozen in super-ice, then Lord Gordain bought her, stored her in his ship that would become home to multiple deadly puzzle games, then she thawed and got kidnapped. That also gives us her connection to the Nonary Game. There's the mystery of how she came to be frozen alive in the first place but I can't see how that would have any relevance to this story.

Also I trusted the token old man in the last game and he ended up murdering everybody so I don't trust Tenmyouji at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bruceski posted:

No, Quark's the funyarinpa. Look at those things on his head!

Quark pretty much sweeps the Stupid Things On Head awards in this game, and you have to go some to beat Dio's top hat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Dio's top hat is awesome and I will brook no argument that suggests otherwise :colbert:

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Zeeco posted:

There are two characters in the previous game, one named Lotus and one named Alice, and in the sequel there's a woman named Alice who looks exactly like the woman named Alice did in the previous game and you're unsure which character she is?

All right, it's been a while so you could have forgotten her face. But for anyone who need convincing:

For a mummy who's hundreds of years old, Alice is somehow the least mysterious character here besides Clover. She's a woman who was frozen in super-ice, then Lord Gordain bought her, stored her in his ship that would become home to multiple deadly puzzle games, then she thawed and got kidnapped. That also gives us her connection to the Nonary Game. There's the mystery of how she came to be frozen alive in the first place but I can't see how that would have any relevance to this story.

Also I trusted the token old man in the last game and he ended up murdering everybody so I don't trust Tenmyouji at all.

From the 999 Q&A:

Basically this Alice is exactly what one would imagine the mummy to look like, but her actually being the mummy is not yet concrete (though the name is a pretty strong argument).

Fallord fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 26, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, Clover has the absolute worst luck. This is her third Nonary game, now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't feel bad for Clover. I feel bad for everyone else. She's an unstable woman who's capable of going on a psychotic rampage.

Livingtrope posted:

No, she's the best at it. Think about it; if you use your real name as your codename, nobody will be able to guess your real name.

I knew someone named Han who use Han Solo as her camp name*; it worked perfectly.

*Camp name: pseudonym used by camp counselors to prevent kids from guessing their real name.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

njsykora posted:

Quark pretty much sweeps the Stupid Things On Head awards in this game, and you have to go some to beat Dio's top hat.

I thought this for like 3 seconds, until my brain completely forgot he looked weird at all because it's still trying to figure out how the hell Alice's outfit could work. Quark just looks like he has some overly large variant of an earflap hat.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kangra posted:

I don't feel bad for Clover. I feel bad for everyone else. She's an unstable woman who's capable of going on a psychotic rampage.

I don't know, her brother isn't around to seemingly explode horribly this time around, maybe cooler heads will prevail this time? :v:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah for someone named after something that represents good luck she strangely lacks in that department. Ironic isn't it. I wonder if Clover is just unlucky when it comes to getting kidnapped or is she just a walking disaster with bad things constantly happening to her? Looking at her she is already a fashion disaster.

Waffleman_ posted:

Luna looks more like an Audino to me than June.

Well thread you know what we have to do now. We have to get Sigma to kill Luna in order to get a large amount of experience points. :black101: Don't worry we'll probably fine a spare Luna rustling in some tall grass.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kangra posted:

*Camp name: pseudonym used by camp counselors to prevent kids from guessing their real name.

There's probably some obvious reason I'm missing, but why wouldn't counselors want kids to know their real name?

King of Solomon posted:

At least.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I hate to be the guy, but this Clover doesn't really look like the one in 999, and neither Snake nor Clover mentioned anything similar throughout 999.

As an aside, since Alice appears at the true end of 999, it implies two things:

1. VLR occurs before or at the same time as 999; and
2. Alice will be alive at the true end of VLR (it would be a paradox if the true end in one game does not happen in another game of the same series).

I would even go as far as proclaiming that Alice is not (one of) the mastermind of VLR - anyone capable constructing such an elaborate death trap would most likely have a convenient escape route rather than randomly leaving him/herself in a desert alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jeek posted:

I hate to be the guy, but this Clover doesn't really look like the one in 999, and neither Snake nor Clover mentioned anything similar throughout 999.

2. Alice will be alive at the true end of VLR (it would be a paradox if the true end in one game does not happen in another game of the same series).

I would even go as far as proclaiming that Alice is not (one of) the mastermind of VLR - anyone capable constructing such an elaborate death trap would most likely have a convenient escape route rather than randomly leaving him/herself in a desert alone.

Or she happened to be hitchhiking through the Nevada desert and hopped in the jeep, then Seven conked both her and Clover on the head and took them to another Nonary game. You have to watch out for the big guys, we're always up to something.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jeek posted:

Counterpoint: Zero III. It really makes absolutely no sense for whoever is behind the rabbit to base their name on a pseudonym that hasn't been used yet.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jeek posted:

Wait, why would we make the assumption that VLR doesn't take place after 999?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait, why would we make the assumption that VLR doesn't take place after 999?

Have you tried walking in a desert donning Alice's clothing? :v:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 26, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeek posted:

Have you tried walking in a desert donning Alice's clothing?

What does that have to do with anything?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

More to the point, the establishing date in the very first update is December 25, 2028. The first game takes place in 2027.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

What does that have to do with anything?
It is not something you want to wear in a desert. This implies that Alice does not intend to be in the desert in the end of 999, i.e. she escapes VLR and runs right into the 999 survivor's jeep.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeek posted:

It is not something you want to wear in a desert. This implies that Alice does not intend to be in the desert in the end of 999, i.e. she escapes VLR and runs right into the 999 survivor's jeep.

....No, you've lost me. Besides, Jay Mann had a good point. This is already established to be a year after 999.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jeek posted:

She's not wearing the same clothes in this game as in 999, you dink.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit: Beaten to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

....No, you've lost me. Besides, Jay Mann had a good point. This is already established to be a year after 999.

It was?

I think it does take place after but did anything say it did.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was?

Literally the first screenshot of the LP.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was?

The 999 Q&A says the game is set in 2027. The very first image on the very first update gives us the date the game takes place in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lotus circle posted:

The 999 Q&A says the game is set in 2027. The very first image on the very first update gives us the date the game takes place in.

Ah I missed that. Ok now everything makes sense.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
What's so weird about the idea that Alice was gassed and abducted just like everyone else for a new Nonary Game a year after 999? Let's try a little Occam's Razor here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Knight posted:

What's so weird about the idea that Alice was gassed and abducted just like everyone else for a new Nonary Game a year after 999? Let's try a little Occam's Razor here.

Its not. The Weird idea was that she was gassed and abducted before 999 then this game takes place during 999 and she gets out and hitchhikes upon seeing the 999 cast escape. (Which will not work because the date is wrong and Clover is here.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dangit, I picked this game up to experience it firsthand (I really missed out on the puzzle rooms getting the game in audiobook format) and now I can't stop playing. I need to sleeeeep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

me posted:

Stupid idea

everyone else posted:

You are stupid

D'oh. At least everyone will now know that I know nothing spoilery about VLR (and that I can't read). V:v:V

• Locked thread