Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sundowner posted:

Well I don't doubt for a second that Fedule's 999 thread isn't great but reading on this screen for extended periods really hurts my eyes something terrible so I might watch SGF's stream VODs so I can quickly catch up and continue to take part in this thread. I probably will at some point go over the previous LP and catch some of Fedule's great quip, though.

Old thread's by Dragonatrix, Hoss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jeek posted:

It is not something you want to wear in a desert. This implies that Alice does not intend to be in the desert in the end of 999, i.e. she escapes VLR and runs right into the 999 survivor's jeep.

She's not wearing the same clothes in this game as in 999, you dink.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was?

I think it does take place after but did anything say it did.

Literally the first screenshot of the LP.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Old guy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wolpertinger posted:

How did a silly crossover photoshop end up spoiling you? Did you google it or something and see a bunch of spoilery related images?

I think he was joking

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just caved in and bought the game after reading 999 and the few posts in this thread. Not regretting it at all but ran into a roadblock and unsure what the game wants me to do, so hoping to get a bit of insight from the updates if I don't just look it up myself.

If you'd rather not wait that long, you could ask for help in the proper VLR thread in Games, which is a thing that exists.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bruceski posted:

VLR has some of this as well. If a scene is identical with a different character being referenced in one line (say for example if 999 had a different person notice Snake was missing depending on the order you talked to people while searching), then the entire scene tends to get labelled as "different" even if most of it is the same people saying the same things to someone different offscreen.

What? No. VLR's treatment of identical scenes is that only the offending lines that are different are unskippable, the rest that you've already seen is perfectly kosher to skip through.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

What is this dot movement thing being talked about? I'm confused. :saddowns:

The game, when illustrating Sigma moving from one point in the facility to another, brings up a map of the facility and illustrates him (a glowing dot) moving to where he needs to go. Every single time. It always seems to take a bit too long.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mist Agent posted:

When exactly does the Lp say that? Because I sure as don't see that.

The technique you've just seen, "speculation," is a powerful skill that allows those who are still unknowing to make predictions towards the future of the stories they view.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

booksnake posted:

Gotta be, right? Like, if one of the solos died right off here, that would close off even more options for doors!

What I mean is, it'd be a lovely design for a game.

You can at most lose 2 points in one round, so since everyone starts with 3 it's impossible to die in the first round.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Added Space posted:

Murdering K honestly seems like a good option at this point. If for no other reason then to get people to stop being jerks.

How are you going to murder that guy, out of curiosity?

I mean far be it from me to poke holes in your ideas, but... you've looked at him, right?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People complain about the doors and the dot moving around, but for me the worst is

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

On repeat playthroughs, you can never skip it :suicide:

I've never tried. It's too good of a line.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jeek posted:

You know who else was nice and quiet and ended up being the mastermind who throw nine other person into a little murder game for a stupid time loop's sake? :v:

By what metric is anyone in 999 quiet?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This is about the point where I realized this was my favorite path.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'd like to also note that everyone who hasn't should go back and listen to G-OLM's theme because it's great, probably my second-favorite track in the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tea Bee posted:

Are we already at the first ending? If Quark is missing and Alice is dead, it seems so. I knew this game had a lot of endings going in, but I'm surprised we managed to get this far already. Are all paths this short in Virtue's Last Reward?

There's not an ending until the game says there's an ending, Hoss.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

John Lee posted:

And re: Phi, yeah, she does look older than thirteen.

I would hope a twenty-year-old would, yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BlazeEmblem posted:

You do it in the true ending as well, because you team up with Snake after the number 9 door.

You team up with Clover twice in the true ending.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I picked Moldy Oldie because I like cool old people.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

I feel like the people who have played the game deliberately steered voting toward this outcome. Otherwise I can't explain why people wouldn't want to know what the deal with Alice is. :tinfoil:

Maybe they're more concerned with the mystery of their incarceration, etc. instead of wondering about some lady who may or may not be a mummy?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Heavy neutrino posted:

The only memorable thing about it to me was that its extra files password is devilishly well-hidden.

It took me two playthroughs and another replay of the room after that to get how you're actually supposed to find it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

whitehelm posted:

Who said it's the same event? Last route he was fine until after we went into the second set of chromatic doors and then mysteriously disappeared.

Fedule posted:

Wh-What's wrong, Quark?

It's all over... This is it.
We're all going to die...

999 OST: [Trepidation]

Are you all right?

No... No, that's not it...
Don't you get it?
We aren't going to die...
We have to die...
We have to die here...
All of us...

Wh-What the hell...?!
Snap out of it, kid!
C'mon, Quark, talk to me!

No, I'm fine...
You're the crazy ones.
Getting so... serious... about this stupid game...
We should just stop...
End this...
End all of it...
End everything...

You have an odd definition of "fine."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This (and "Siggyyyy! Phidooooo!") are the only things I can never bring myself to skip.

It also makes hearing Erin Fitzgerald in other works fun. :shepface:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Aumanor posted:

What happens if we decide to screw over the others and choose Quark? If it's possible at all this would be the best option. Since he can't wote he defaults to Ally meaning that if we betray him we're sure to get three points.

How does it feel to be an rear end?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fedule posted:

Alright, this is getting ridiculous.

I am going to play some Divekick with my housemate now. After every match I will check the poll. If the poll is not a tie I will lock the poll. If the poll is still a tie I will play another round of Divekick. If we don't lock this poll I will have to break out the next-vote-wins schtick but I really hope it does not come to that.

I think we should go through the red door with Jefailey.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I already voted, but okay! :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Then again, having Monobear, Zero III, and Sigma in one game might cause the game to collapse into a pun singularity.

No sir. Those hare-raising puns of yours are kuma-pletely purrohibited.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

If we don't enable Dio's escape, he's still stuck with us, and he can't well destroy his only leverage.

I don't see why not. This is Dio we're talking about here, after all. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Shear Modulus posted:

You forgot the giant axe and spear.

We haven't been to that room yet.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Speedball posted:

We haven't solved it yet but we visited it a few times on the Murder Central path. There were some knight mannequins with apparently quite real and functioning weaponry in their hands.

That was what I meant. That list was only of the rooms we've personally solved.

Plus it's not like we need to speculate about those murder weapons. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

kvltmanifesto posted:

Man, Agricola and Danny Trejo? I feel like this entire room was written by a completely different person than the rest of the game.

The secret files are about all as insane, it's just that we haven't been seeing most of them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DWK posted:

Would they assume that if you'd played 999, you'd want to pair up with Alice or Clover? We can't go through a door with Clover as she's in a pair with K, so would the majority of people choose Alice as a character they recognise and are curious about?

I think that's the idea.

Ironically, this was actually my last path for exactly that reason. "Eh, already know about the mummy, whatever. But what about that old guy?!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Glaive17 posted:

I have played this game through one route only: Alice -> Ally -> and so on, and then I never played again. (Not because the game is bad, I love this series. Mostly due to time constraints and absolutely HATING Zero III's voice.)

You picked a really bad time to quit, considering you were basically done with him past that point.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like how you didn't even mention Quark.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Meirlkor posted:

(this explains Quark's hat)

Wasn't that already explained

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Zoe posted:

I have a bad memory and it's been awhile since the last update - what was Sigma up to when everyone else was wandering around?

Reminiscing about his affair with the mistress of a prominent politician.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RoeCocoa posted:

Rooms with a lion and a sun as separate objects: Lounge, Garden

Rooms with a lion eating the sun: Security, Laboratory

I'm sure this has something to do with the password in the Director's Office, but I don't know what.

The Garden has a mural depicting a lion eating the sun at the end of the water stream.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bruceski posted:

It's not eating the sun on the mural, but when night falls the sun is lowered into the lion's mouth.

Either way, really.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other interesting bit is that the Red door led to the Laboratory again - on the Magenta path, the Pantry opened up. When we went through it on the Yellow path, it led to the Lab. Does that mean there's a third door behind it that leads to a room we won't get to explore?

All three of the second round Chromatic doors have three doors behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Apropos of nothing, the character portraits in the iOS version of 999 are some seriously incredible stuff.

• Locked thread