Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Boy, I almost missed this LP. This is going to be entertaining as hell.

Anyways, I vote Luna/magenta, since that's the door I picked first back when I was playing through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Only after backtracking through the thread a bit did I realize that it's going to have so much more than I expected: I came for the speculation and reactions, but stayed for easy mode dialogues, Japanese voices and HelloWinter goodness. Oh, and Fedule's narration, of course.

might be wrong posted:

The new penalty is so...anticlimactic? Death is death, but the threat of loving exploding in 999 just made me incredibly tense every time we went through a door.
Pretty sure the writer had to change the penalty because the producers considered explosions way too graphic for this kind of game. And honestly, it really is, even if it's just in text.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Yeah, I'd say that Phi is the best so far simply because she had more spotlight than the rest. And she's the least anime of the whole female cast, which is always a plus. Which doesn't stop me from liking Luna the most, but I'm just weak to Mamiko Noto.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Phi is totally the least anime. *leaps 15 feet in the air*
She used Sigma as a springboard, so it's totally fine :colbert:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

In this room, it was the other solution that was difficult for me. It took me way too long to see the RED MOON letters (I think I was looking for a less obvious solution here), then I put the drinks in the wrong order (because the globe is in the middle of the ray, I thought its cocktail should be in the middle, too), and then I totally forgot what the text on the sun was :v: At least I don't remember being annoyed by all the items that much.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

Hmm? As far as I know, for the first puzzle you can put the drinks on the bar in whatever order you like as long as they're Green Sun, Blue Planet and Red Moon.
Huh, I might be remembering things wrong, since I played that room around four months ago. Maybe I got the other solution's order wrong, or maybe I got wrong cocktails and thought it was the order that's wrong.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Remember that we don't know how many people can go through the 9 door. And if someone gets the 9 points first and decides to screw everybody else, we're hosed :shrug:
Any number of people can go through the 9 door, but only if they have 9 or more BP. The only people who get penalized for trying to go through the door are those who have less than 9 BP.

I never really got K's nickname, since potassium is not something you expect to see that often. That, and English is not my native language, and the element is called Kalium around here. Good thing I finally checked the dictionary!

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

On an unrelated note: Zero III is a rabbit, right? What girl followed the rabbit into Wonderland? Alice. What do rabbits eat? Clover. I think this particular Nonary game is targeted at them.
And when do rabbits live according to Japan? On the Moon! Watch out, Luna! And why is Phi the only female player who's not connected to Zero III? :tinfoil:

Count Bleck posted:

Took me about 2 weeks after playing VLR to realize that the AB game is a version of the prisoner's dilemma and that I learned how to use it in an economic environment during my Microeconomics class in college.

poo poo's weird.
I'm honestly not sure how you could've missed it.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

I'll bet you money he's a born con man.
I donno what he is to you, but if I were you I'd trust the kid as far as I could throw him.
And at your age, that can't be far.
Dio might be a worse jerk than his Brando namesake, but he sure knows his way around words.

Another pet peeve about replaying the game: this particular update is mostly skippable, except for the part where Zero predicts the deaths of the players (which depend on the people with 1 BP in this round). Always caught me off-guard after a good chunk of skipped dialogue.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Again, I picked the same thing as during my first playthrough: stick to Luna, who's got great chances of allying with us again. Though I'm going to be more than fine with any choice here, they're all cool.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

AshtonDragon posted:

I remember getting stuck in this room for awhile, and spent a fairly significant portion of time just randomly examining things that I already examined. Not sure if it was something most people miss or if I'm just terrible, though.
That's because one of the drawers doesn't look like one, so it's very easy to miss. I think. I need to check the escape again, but I can testify that this room is difficult for the most trifle of reasons.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

tiistai posted:

This scene would have been perfect if I didn't have an irrational hatred towards the Chinese Room being taken seriously. Same with Schrödinger's cat.
It can't be helped, with the Japanese having a Schrödinger fetish and all.

Is it just me, or are they overthinking the "Right in the middle of" line? It didn't seem to me like anything important, and it still doesn't. I guess it might sound more peculiar in Japanese because of all the different kanji readings, in which case, it's just a minor case of clumsy translation.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

So the last thing he said was, "See, right in the middle of--"?
Right in the middle...
"Middle" could be from "Middle Kingdom", which is another name for China...

Well, this was utterly pointless.

Please, explain.

Well, maybe he was trying to say that this game is like the Chinese Room.
In other words--
And this is the part I found the most unnatural-sounding. Really, is "Kingdom" the first word that comes to one's mind when hearing the phrase "Right in the middle"? Especially when it ends with "of"? Then again, this is Phi, and being unnatural is normal for her.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

Sigma's lines are unchanged, but Luna's next line, translated as "Oh... I see...", is more like "Oh, so that's the reason you won't betray..." in a disappointed tone of voice, implying more explicitly she wished he would ally for a more altruistic reason than Nonary game strategy.

There is one segment of text in this update that's almost a complete rewrite from the original. Anyone care to guess what it is?
The turbulence part, perhaps?

EDIT: Beaten, but it's not like I have any better ideas.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fain posted:

The thing I don't get is that isn't the ending in 999 where she goes insane and axes everyone a non-canon ending? Basically the reason for that ending is to make you, the player, feel bad for loving up and choosing the wrong decisions. Now if she pulled out a axe anytime during the other two "canon" endings, I can understand justifying her psychotic tendencies then.

I don't know. It just seems a little unfair to call her a psycho at this point of the game until we actually see some evidence of her going homicidal.
Because of the whole morphogenetic fields business, every ending can be considered canon (or else Junpei couldn't get the password to the coffin). And even if they couldn't, the characters still stay themselves in each ending, which means that their behavior stays plausible if you take into account the events that precede it.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

A question I've been dying to ask ever since this LP started: was the graffiti the same in the Japanese version? Or did they edit it to make a bit more sense?

Also, this .gif seems bugged to me on Opera (in a pretty wicked way):

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

beru04 posted:

If you mean in the sense that it's old-timey, then I think that's how it's meant to be?
I mean in the sense that I can't even read the text, it's mostly black with only Zero III and the cursor visible.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

That's odd. Does it work if you load it in its own tab? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
It didn't work at first, but then I refreshed it, and it was alright. Guess it was just a problem on my side, nevermind v:v:v

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Judging by the fact that he's wearing a Steel Samurai costume, I gotta go with Will Powers or Larry Butz. And when something smells, it's usually the Butz.
Oh please, he's clearly Bronze Monk.

The whole plug thing irritated me a bit in this route: we know about K's keyhole, we know about the key, but no one ever mentions it after getting out of the Bay. Then again, they don't really have a reason to go "Hey K, wanna get that thing off?".

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Holy crap, you can rotate those hourglasses in the puzzle? I feel dumb, because I just eyeballed them and guessed until I was right.
Same here, same here. And because of that, I missed one of those math puzzles I love so much.

After getting the hidden solution, I was a bit pissed at Sigma for not interrogating Phi right there and then. I mean, who else could this "She" be? Her being so secretive all the way didn't help, either.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does the vita version have anything to simulate the 3DS's ability to have the puzzle on one screen and your notepad or a clue of your choice in the top screen? If not, I imagine that might make some puzzles a bit of a pain in the rear end. Imagine having to actually remember stuff like passwords.
Back in my days, we had these things called "Notepads" that all gamers used to memorize passwords, draw maps and compensate for the game's shortcomings in lots of other ways :colbert:

But yeah, there is a similar feature on Vita, though it's not as handy as on 3DS (no stylus, have to press a couple of buttons to open it, not that much space).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I honestly don't remember that explanation about Clover and Dio, probably because I picked a different option. I do remember that it still made plenty of sense, though, which means that the devs have done a good job of coming up with plausible theories for all three candidates. Or maybe I just don't remember it simply because it was so long ago.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Speaking of Seven:

Fedule posted:

Can't you just call it "water" like a normal person?
Yay for running gags!

And man, gently caress this room: it's the reason behind my longest break of playing through VLR, because I was naive enough to think I could do it on my own. After this one, I had no qualms with checking difficult puzzles in the guide, which, of course, led to a couple of "Goddamn, how did I not think of that?" moments.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Zoe posted:

Ten better have a drat good excuse though. :mad:
Does he even need one? The fact that he and his grandson are stuck in a game with complete strangers who might have killed a person he knew is a good enough reason to try and get out of here ASAP.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Note that this lever opened a different door with a different room behind it in the last route (Pantry instead of Laboratory). So its purpose is to differentiate various routes even further, not to mention that it gives us new puzzles to solve (you don't have to play through a single room more than once in the whole game). I suppose the door it opens depends on the person who pulls it?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Well, Quark's sedated now and, seeing as he had a knife, I think he's the one who shived Alice.
Quark had a scalpel, while Alice was stabbed with a "Myrmidons" knife.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I really hated this room, the puzzles were rather annoying. It's kind of entertaining to see how annoyed everyone gets on easy mode though when you don't get the "final" puzzles.
Huh, and I actually thought how nice it is to finally have a room without any traumatizing memories in this LP. Seriously, this room had nice puzzles, a decent amount of items to interact with without making it a chore, and no hidden shelves that you can't find until you check a guide. Even the dialogue is not as boring as in the security office.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Oh, if only Axelavir was in a plastic bottle instead of a glass one, things would've been so much easier: the fastest way to destroy it would've required opening the cap, and that takes long enough to take it out of this Dio's hands.

Though now that I think about it, isn't liquid medicine always kept in glass containers? Does that have anything to do with sterile environments or something like that?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

A bit late with this, but this girl's hair and the sticker under the eye make her look like adult Clover with some Alice thrown in the mix. Too bad we can't actually compare them with the game's general lack of proper 2D artwork.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Penakoto posted:

Zero III is doing all this to become the pope.

I wish I could draw because it's such an amazing image in my head.
Him being a rabbit just seals the deal.

I suppose a bomb is a good enough way to make people aim to play the game and leave ASAP, it's just that there is now a confirmed bomber instead of a killer in the premises. I kinda wish one of the other two routes had a third hazard, but eh, it's fine.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

quote:

Biotope
Huh, so this is what the B in B.Garden probably stands for.

And that epitaph is the second time we've seen this phrase in the game - remember the security room?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for what he has with Alice, who knows, but maybe it has something to do with Ice-9.
He probably just wants to ask her whether or not she's All-Ice, like he did in the previous route.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

mateo360 posted:

I never thought to scan the test sheet since when you first get the scanner the Green T was already on screen so I thought it would have been redundant to scan it again. I think I also got the locker code without scanning the sheet and just did it in my head.
Same here. The single fact that I spent about an hour or two figuring out the solution, and then giving up and looking it up in a guide is enough for me to have some unpleasant memories about this room. But yeah, I suppose it could be worse.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Just noticed that some lines (ellipses?) are missing:

Fedule posted:

I found a manual on the floor over there.
It says that this machine doesn't really use electricity in a conventional way...

Those tubes use some kind of special liquid to transmit electricity.
Actually it's pretty complicated...

Fedule posted:

That's about the size of it.

You don't need to worry about Alice.
I'll keep a good eye on her, I promise. Now get moving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

But you wouldn't believe me.

You don't know that. We might believe a lot...
"Oh, so you got a precognition after experiencing the event in another world line? Sure, why not?"

The best (worst?) thing is, Phi might've actually opened up a bit if she knew about Clover's deal. But no, Clover just has to act all secretive and tight-lipped - despite failing at that on several occasions.

• Locked thread