Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Zero III's voice actor is enjoying the poo poo out of her job.

If Ten, Luna, and Alice are all disinclined to betrayal in round one, that implies that whatever you pick you'll have at least four AB games before you can get yourself killed. It makes a certain amount of sense, everyone (but Sigma this one time) being more willing to potentially harm one person over potentially harming two people. Or at least more willing to take the responsibility for harming someone if they have a partner backing them up.

The next few updates promise to be delightfully awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013
Wait, that was a gif? Stupid Chrome.

And yeah they don't change.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Nidoking posted:

I didn't see an answer to this in the thread - K is the chemical symbol for the element Potassium, probably because of an alternate name similar to Kalium. It's no more sensible than W for Tungsten (Wolfram).

Kalium was a Latin (really Neo-Latin) word taken from "alkali," and therefore ultimately taken from an Arabic word, I believe having something to do with ashes. Potassium is taken from "potash," which is a literal translation of a German word for an old process of obtaining potassium compounds from plant ashes by soaking them in water in a pot - ergo, pot ash or potash.

As for Tungsten, I have no clue where the name came from, but the W(olfram) part came from Peter Woulfe, who discovered it.

:eng101:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

As for Tungsten, I have no clue where the name came from, but the W(olfram) part came from Peter Woulfe, who discovered it.

Tung sten means "heavy stone" in swedish, and it's a refernce to its high density.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Endorph posted:

No, I got that from the .gif, I mean will they be the same reaction shots next time we go to the polls?

That would be telling. :colbert:

Spoilers, man. Jesus christ.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'll do the game theory thing like tomorrow.

But yeah, those results are shocking. Especially Clover betraying Alice. Unless, of course, it was K... but Clover would still be in there.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I think we're overlooking the biggest part of the update. Phi says "Maybe it's different this time." That makes me think that either time travel shenanigans are happening or Phi is accessing the morphogenic fields from the future from herself. THat would explain why she knows more than she should, e.g. Sigma's name and the whole reaching zero BP means death.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

...Huh? "This time"...?

Hmmm... the first game's time magic was someone sending and receiving psychic messages to/from the future. Maybe Phi is afflicted with a different kind of time magic - some kind of loop, repeating the same day over and over again, like that one movie with Bill Murray. What was it called again?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... the first game's time magic was someone sending and receiving psychic messages to/from the future. Maybe Phi is afflicted with a different kind of time magic - some kind of loop, repeating the same day over and over again, like that one movie with Bill Murray. What was it called again?

Groundhog Day?

sc0ttmst
Nov 23, 2010
Echo'ing the love for "Yo, wassup! Siggyyyyy! Phidoooooooooo!"

It really is my favorite part of the entire game. So, so so so great.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Groundhog day.
EDIT: Beaten

Anyway, I don't think the results of this AB game were too shocking. Both Dio and K would be able to easily overpower their respective partners, and K appears to act somewhat logically whereas Dio is in all likelihood a complete rear end in a top hat.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

On its own "this time" could just mean she's played the game before, but combined with her knowing things that she has no way of knowing it seems like time shenanigans are a good explanation.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

curiousCat posted:

I'll do the game theory thing like tomorrow.

But yeah, those results are shocking. Especially Clover betraying Alice. Unless, of course, it was K... but Clover would still be in there.

If K really wants to vote betray, do you honestly think Clover can stop him?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

whitehelm posted:

If K really wants to vote betray, do you honestly think Clover can stop him?
In normal-mode or psycho-mode? :v:

VVV: Thank you for this mental image :3:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 4, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Pierzak posted:

Now I'm imagining Clover trying to beat K with an axe and not being able to hit him through the armor. She just looks vaguely upset that she failed and K doesn't even really react to it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Pierzak posted:

I assume K's armor can protect against axe strikes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The "Stupid Jerkface" outcome strikes again!

I love how the game is set up for you to awkwardly stare at the person you just betrayed/look into the eyes of the person you just murdered. Zero III is a wonderful little sadist.

And, I suppose Zero Sr./Zero II(?) is as well.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People complain about the doors and the dot moving around, but for me the worst is

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

On repeat playthroughs, you can never skip it :suicide:

I am in the category of people who don't like hearing it everytime.

How could anyone want to betray Luna. She seems so nice and quiet.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

mateo360 posted:

How could anyone want to betray Luna. She seems so nice and quiet.

You know who else was nice and quiet and ended up being the mastermind who threw nine other person into a little murder game for a stupid time loop's sake? :v:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jeek posted:

You know who else was nice and quiet and ended up being the mastermind who throw nine other person into a little murder game for a stupid time loop's sake? :v:

By what metric is anyone in 999 quiet?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jeek posted:

You know who else was nice and quiet and ended up being the mastermind who throw nine other person into a little murder game for a stupid time loop's sake? :v:

On the other hand, the loudest, rudest person (Lotus) turned out to be the most innocent.

...Guys, I think Dio is our best ally here.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

edit: I'm illiterate and dumb :downs:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 4, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Color Printer posted:

She was really only ever quiet when she thought her brother had died from internal explosions. Other than that she was as vocal as most of the others.

I also don't know if I would call her the "nicest" of the bunch. Except maybe in the True Ending, when you know, Snake was revealed to be alive.

Wrong character.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Color Printer posted:

She was really only ever quiet when she thought her brother had died from internal explosions. Other than that she was as vocal as most of the others.

I also don't know if I would call her the "nicest" of the bunch. Except maybe in the True Ending, when you know, Snake was revealed to be alive.

He was talking about June.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Color Printer posted:

Clover was the mastermind of nothing. He's talking about Akane.

edit: quick, everyone correct him all at once

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hahahahahaha I'm apparently completely illiterate :downsgun:

Either way I'm definitely sure they wouldn't pull the same shtick twice.

Unless....they know I'm going to think that...:tinfoil:

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013
I'm glad someone who constantly updates their threads is playing this. Saves me the money of buying a 3DS or a Vita.

I take it Dio was likely to have thrown Tenmyouji under the bus, regardless of what Quark said, but I'm surprised with Alice. I wonder what the reasoning was for it, considering Alice and Clover seem cool, and K didn't really seem the type to have done it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Maybe Tenmoyouji has a really huge estate and quark wants a piece of that sweet, sweet inheritance earlier.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zyla posted:

Maybe Tenmoyouji has a really huge estate and quark wants a piece of that sweet, sweet inheritance earlier.

A summer home with a pool is nicer than a root beer float.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I forgot how :words: this game can get!

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Re: Prisoner's dilemma.

Maybe the one that was thrown at me in class wasn't the true classic. The one I did in class was the kind where "Work together to get ahead, split up to fail." sort of thing. As expected we were supposed to talk to our "fellow prisoners" and discuss things.

I personally was being an rear end and threw in the logical debate that as "prisoners" we would be more likely to use actual physical threats to keep fellow inmates in line. Sort of like the code of silence among criminals to avoid snitching with the penalty being a shanking from the offended prisoner as practical revenge against the squealer.

That said I can see that some elements from the previous game has obviously jumped into the current game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kinfolk910 posted:

Re: Prisoner's dilemma.

Maybe the one that was thrown at me in class wasn't the true classic. The one I did in class was the kind where "Work together to get ahead, split up to fail." sort of thing. As expected we were supposed to talk to our "fellow prisoners" and discuss things.

I think the original dilemma is something along the lines of:

Criminal A and Criminal B are arrested and put into separate rooms.

A is told that he is going to be in jail for a year if he doesn't confess, but if he gives evidence on B, then he will go free. B, meanwhile, will have four years. But if they both confess, they get two years.

B is then told the same thing.

So, the question is, do you trust the other prisoner enough to not rat you out and increase your jail time? Or do you both trying to rat each other out and cause your sentence to double?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, the question is, do you trust the other prisoner enough to not rat you out and increase your jail time? Or do you both trying to rat each other out and cause your sentence to double?

Kinfolk's argument still holds though. With both being criminals, the choice is actually between two years of jail time and getting shanked after four years.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A is told that he is going to be in jail for a year if he doesn't confess, but if he gives evidence on B, then he will go free. B, meanwhile, will have four years. But if they both confess, they get two years.

This is more or less right, but it seems like you're using 'confess' and 'give evidence on' interchangeably, which is a bit confusing. Each prisoner is given the option to stay quiet or testify against the other. The possibilities are:

A stays quiet, B stays quiet: small penalty for both (one year)
A testifies, B stays quiet: no penalty for A (goes free), large penalty for B (three years)
A stays quiet, B testifies: large penalty for A (three years), no penalty for B (goes free)
A testifies, B testifies: medium penalty for both (two years)

Overall, the best outcome is if both stay quiet and take the small penalty. However, betraying will always result in a better outcome for the betrayer than staying quiet would: if your opponent stays quiet, you go free rather than getting one year; if your opponent testifies, you get two years rather than three. So it's likely that both will testify, meaning that both are worse off than they would have been if they'd both stayed quiet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rith posted:

This is more or less right, but it seems like you're using 'confess' and 'give evidence on' interchangeably, which is a bit confusing. Each prisoner is given the option to stay quiet or testify against the other. The possibilities are:

A stays quiet, B stays quiet: small penalty for both (one year)
A testifies, B stays quiet: no penalty for A (goes free), large penalty for B (three years)
A stays quiet, B testifies: large penalty for A (three years), no penalty for B (goes free)
A testifies, B testifies: medium penalty for both (two years)

Overall, the best outcome is if both stay quiet and take the small penalty. However, betraying will always result in a better outcome for the betrayer than staying quiet would: if your opponent stays quiet, you go free rather than getting one year; if your opponent testifies, you get two years rather than three. So it's likely that both will testify, meaning that both are worse off than they would have been if they'd both stayed quiet.

Took me about 2 weeks after playing VLR to realize that the AB game is a version of the prisoner's dilemma and that I learned how to use it in an economic environment during my Microeconomics class in college.

poo poo's weird.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Well poo poo. Is it possible for us to stay with Luna for the rest of the game? She's the only one we can trust to not betray us in the AB game.

On an unrelated note: Zero III is a rabbit, right? What girl followed the rabbit into Wonderland? Alice. What do rabbits eat? Clover. I think this particular Nonary game is targeted at them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rabbits eat carrots. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Does it bother no one else that Zero III is calling Clover "Cleaver" considering what happened in the non-canon Axe Ending?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

GeneralYeti posted:

On an unrelated note: Zero III is a rabbit, right? What girl followed the rabbit into Wonderland? Alice. What do rabbits eat? Clover. I think this particular Nonary game is targeted at them.
And when do rabbits live according to Japan? On the Moon! Watch out, Luna! And why is Phi the only female player who's not connected to Zero III? :tinfoil:

Count Bleck posted:

Took me about 2 weeks after playing VLR to realize that the AB game is a version of the prisoner's dilemma and that I learned how to use it in an economic environment during my Microeconomics class in college.

poo poo's weird.
I'm honestly not sure how you could've missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does it bother no one else that Zero III is calling Clover "Cleaver" considering what happened in the non-canon Axe Ending?

I brought this up earlier and nobody seemed to notice but yeah I think that's not a coincidence.

SingerOfW posted:

I'm honestly not sure how you could've missed it.

You miss a lot of poo poo at 4AM.

• Locked thread