Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Two DCS World questions:

Apparently I had bought it a while ago and just never installed it - I went to look for it on Steam and it told me that I already had it. Must have grabbed it on sale sometime and just completely forgotten about it. I installed it yesterday for the first time and right now I'm doing the SU-25T training missions, but every time the instructor tells me to do something, I have to pause, go into the controls config, and bind something new. For this game I'm using a Saitex X45 and CH pedals, but it looks like the configurator won't detect the brake axis of the pedals? Anybody have any idea what's up with that?

Second, which of the DLC options are any good? Are there any must-haves or any that are just not worth it? How often do they go on sale on Steam? UH-1 looks sweet but I'm not sure if it's $50 sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Insert name here posted:

DCS World is free which is why you didn't have to pay for it :ssh:

I'm special is why I didn't have to pay for it. :colbert:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's this one http://www.justflight.com/product/air-hauler-for-x-plane-pc but I don't know if it's compatible with X-Plane 10 (the system requirements say 9). You might email them and ask. Here's a thread on an X-Plane forum that also mentions another 'career mode' sort of add-on, FSEconomy, and mentions compatibility between XP 10 and Air Hauler. I haven't played either though, so can't recommend one.

e: if I was going to say "here's a thread" I could have at least included a link to the thread :-/
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?s=b26797cd40fbfec5572cc826d0396cf2&showtopic=55627

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 26, 2015

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Air hauler is a bit weak when it comes to casual play though.. yiu need to check in and fly once a week or is it 3 or lose rating, you also need to build your way up to higher planes yiu can't just hop in a c130.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. There are two big cargo add-ons for FSX, Air Hauler and Cargo Pilot. I don't have either, but I remember reading that one of them penalized you if you didn't fly a route every few weeks. Too bad if it's Air Hauler, I don't think Cargo Pilot is available for X-Plane. I fly FSPassengers for FSX which has its issues but is still a blast and makes it feel like you're actually doing something instead of just flying an empty plane around. It's kind of like a single-player virtual airline.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Unfortunately the dev for FSPax went MIA so chances of an update for FSX:SE are practically nil.

Huh? I could have sworn I had FSX:SE and FSPax works fine (as well as can be expected I guess). If I have the F/A-18 I have FSX:SE, right?

e: wait, nvm, SE is Steam Edition, not Deluxe.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 25, 2015

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

Flying around in FSE, had to pick up a passenger at a small strip, wasn't paying much attention but I saw the GPS had the airfield near and looked out and saw one a few miles ahead of me, so went in and landed and whacked on the parking break. Went over the the My Flight doodad and saw my plane was at another airport which was loving confusing. Checked the map and it appears that I landed at the wrong strip, the one I wanted is a couple of miles to the south-east. I practically flew right over it without noticing :v:

I used to fly Chicago -> Detroit with FSPassengers and picked the airports in FSX by just entering ICAO codes but I kept mashing my tubeliners on landing. Fun fact: KDET is not a synonym for KDTW, and they have really different runway lengths :downs:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Did a quick hop as a goon air pilot, and I sure am rusty, if I had full sim mode plane would have broken up mid flight.
I need to use my freeware B1900, I fogot how many clicky things the Carenado one has.

Carenado stuff is so beautiful though :kimchi:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Check out the hottie Soapy spotted at 3AK1

What's the FBO equialent of a lot lizard?

Would.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

tehsid posted:

What are the must haves as far as payware planes for fsx go? I'm looking for a small single or... maybe twin engine prop plane, and a passenger/cargo hauler. I'm hoping both would be fse frendly.

I know so little, I don't wanna buy anything that looks cool, but ends up being a buggy, or just lovely to fly.

the Carenado stuff is not exactly cheap but it's f'n beautiful and I've never had a problem with it flight-wise. I only have the C340 but is a delicious airplane and one of my favorites.
http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=55

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

PMDG makes a twin T-prop, the JetStream JS4100 and it's very high quality.

It is, but it's really twitchy if you don't know how to drive it. I started it up and tried to use the propellers in reverse instead of pushback and WELP NOW WE'RE ON FIRE. It also doesn't seem to descend for poo poo, so if you're a terrible pilot like me go ahead and start your descent from about two hundred fifty miles out.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 21, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Thrustmaster T.16000M

Do you use the stick for civilian sims too? Once I got a Saitek yoke, flying GA or commercial stuff with a stick just seemed awkward and weird. I have no idea how Airbus pilots do it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Absolutely. I hated my Saitek yoke. Real pros one-hand the yoke anyway, so I don't see it as much of a difference. And it's easier to get into a decently performing stick than a decent yoke. Plus, interchangeability with combat sims is a concern.

What didn't you like about the Saitek yoke?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Too much slop in the center. Didn't feel good. The front display began flickering so I had to tape over it. The buttons wore out really quickly. The pots on the throttle quadrant are lovely and imprecise, and they wear out quickly too. And, if you add another quadrant, they don't match up because one is USB and one is PS2 via the yoke base.

I also had a bunch of Saitek panels that drove me crazy.

I've never flown a real plane, so I guess I don't know any better, I like it. The display backlight does crap out after a year or two. The throttle quadrant is what sold me on it; I mapped gear/flaps/speedbrake to the buttons and the throttle built in to the CH yoke just seemed goofy. CH pedals own though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Has anyone messed around with fspassenger? I know FSE is all the rage and passenger looks like an offline version of it, but I'm wondering if it's any good for both GA planes and heavies.

It's fun as hell and I don't regret buying it at all. The voices makes it seem like you aren't flying some empty ghost plane of the damned, plus there are some unadvertised bonuses like keyboard commands to get your copilot to change autopilot settings. There are some bugs though, e.g. tires blow really easily and then you get penalized. I started with the FSX Mooney and worked up to a Cessna 340 and then Saab 340 so yes, it supports GA and commercial. Have you tried the free demo?

e: The simulated failures are also pretty exciting. You can set the probability that they'll happen so you can turn them off, but compared to stock FSX failures where you know ahead of time what's going to break because you told it to fail a particular system, having stuff go bad at random is more fun. It also models the 'career' part around the random failures it sends you so if you abort a take-off because your engine RPMs weren't good it doesn't ding you for failing to make the flight, it rewards you for paying attention and doing the safe thing.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 27, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's a button for showing in-flight movies :3:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

One of the guys I'm still actually talking to in FSE mentioned that Air Hauler 2 is coming out and it looks interesting, and rumor has it there's going to be multiplayer.

One thing that baffles me though is the stock market addon. Why does a flight sim addon need a stock market?

Live commodity prices? Same reason they include live weather updates is my guess, unless it's an isolated in-game stock market in which case maybe it's the apocalyptic convergence of every game becoming EVE Online.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

JS41 engines will ignite in the wrong way if you don't do the proper start procedure.

1. Install JS41
2. Start engines like any others, hey, it's a plane, w/e
3. Use reverse because pushback is for chumps
4. OH GOD WE ARE ALL ON FIRE WHY ARE WE ALL ON FIRE

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I must be lucky I guess. I have the Saitek yoke/throttle quadrant and I have no problem with it. I've heard it's not at all like the feel of a real yoke, but it's not like I'd know the difference. Just blast some Deoxit down the yoke shaft once in a while and it moves OK. The LED stopwatch that I never use went to poo poo after about a year, but I fixed that with a strip of electrical tape.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D981YWF82kw
You probably want X-Plane for realistic flight modeling, so it's kind of a tossup whether you want to stay with OS X or Windows. The X-Plane guys seem pretty geeked about Macs, so it doesn't seem like it would be an afterthought of a port from a Windows version. Have you tried the OS X demo?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Twist stick rudders are a poor compromise compared to real pedals but they're way better than FSX auto rudder (which X-Plane doesn't have AFAICT) or mapping keys or stick buttons to bang-bang full-deflection for rudder/taxi. Plus as people have mentioned they're like 1/5 the price of *just* a set of CH pedals.

The Logitech 3D is also killer in KSP, if you're into that kind of thing, better than a yoke and pedals.

e: also I can't imagine flying helos without an analog rudder control of some kind.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 27, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Well yeah, you probably won't be satisfied with a stick then. Sporty's has a CH yoke/throttle and pedals combo with XP10 Global for $300. You could save a few bucks on the used hardware but that seems like false economy; the stuff wears out after a while and you don't know how hard it's been used. And yes, that's a few hours of real flight or redbird time (you get to log that, right?) - but it's also basically unlimited hours of XP10 flight where you get to set up and practice the scenarios you want as many times as you want, in any weather etc.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I'll have to look into this ultrawide thing, it's new to me. How large are they in put-it-on-a-desk terms?

I make do with two ordinary displays:

Pro:
- Useful for other applications, not just flight sim.
- Cheap as chips, relatively speaking.
- Game-nerd display cards already have two outputs, or did in 2013 which is the last time I checked.

Con:
- You have to set up the views every time, tweaking the perspective and parallax until it looks natural.
- If they aren't the identical brand and model and age, the color will never be quite right. It's evident in the pic, but it looks worse than it does in person. Still noticeable though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

InevitableCheese posted:

Lots of good info in this thread. Would you guys recommend playing through the vanilla content in FSX first before dumping money on add-ons?

I'd say start budgeting for some rudder pedals. Pedals are kind of a sleeper of a thing, I had no idea how much they add to the experience until I got them.

I mean, assuming that you've accepted your fate and you know you're going to be dumping money into this hobby.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm looking for recommendations.

Due to my current living situation, all of my PC gaming is relegated to a laptop. My HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR and rudder pedals are all collecting dust, and it'll be that way for at least a few months. In the meantime, I've been getting the itch to fly around and blow poo poo up.

What's some lighter fare that might be enjoyable with a more modest setup, like with a gamepad or a small, cheap stick (and a less than cutting edge machine)?

Jane's USAF is ancient but fun as hell and not exactly taxing for modern PCs. I don't think you can buy/download it though, I've only ever gotten it from Amazon-sourced places that ship you an actual CD.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

does it run on anything past WinMe outside of a VM?

I've used it on XP for sure. The mission editor kind of goes to poo poo and it can't figure out how to make the taskbar go away except in the full-screen flight mode, but it still worked great for the built-in missions. I haven't tried it on Win7 or anything newer though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kashwashwa posted:

I just bought a Saitek Pro flight yoke system with rudders for $30 locally... am I crazy or is this setup worth hundreds on ebay?

Smells like a basement, but it works perfectly.

I use CH rudder pedals but the same yoke. Expect to put tape over the center LCD when it goes goofy in a few months but I like it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

You folks know any good aviation podcasts? Pilot stuff, student pilot stuff, general aviation stuff, whatever.

You might want to ask over here too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654

I'd be surprised if Sporty's hasn't got something going, might be a video series and not a pure audio podcast though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

That was great, thanks. That's one of the skills like VOR navigation that I never really bothered to master in sims in favor of GPS and autopilot.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

hogmartin posted:

1. Install JS41
2. Start engines like any others, hey, it's a plane, w/e
3. Use reverse because pushback is for chumps
4. OH GOD WE ARE ALL ON FIRE WHY ARE WE ALL ON FIRE

PMDG doesn't advertise that add-on for P3D so I don't know if it's compatible, but if you like toasty planes, boy howdy is this one easy to warm up on a cold day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3VPr0CoWc&t=128s

It's a bummer because my favorite planes in FSX are the regional turbo types like the Saab 340 and the Dash series but wow the PMDG JS41 is unforgiving.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 11, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pioneer42 posted:

Sales are up all over the place. What are some suggestions?

CBJamo posted:

Hey sperglords, if you don't already have them, or want a nicely packaged digital versions, gog has The Falcon collection for 3$. It's got Falcon, Falcon AT, Falcon Gold, and Falcon 4.0.

If milsim is your kind of thing.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Streaming a flight in the Majestic Q400 from Galveston to Birmingham

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

I caught the landing. It looked like you were flying through pitch black and then the runway lights came out of nowhere. Was it twitch not showing cloud cover properly, or did it look to you like an airport just magically appeared too?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

Am I a big idiot if I buy the Saitek?

They don't seem to be well-regarded around here, and yes, the little light on the stopwatch thing will crap out within a year. I think I heard something about them getting sold and quality declining, maybe? That said, I've had mine forever and really like it. Mostly because like you said, it's got a separate throttle quadrant with huge levers and six extra buttons instead of the doofy shoulder throttles on the CH.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I don't have a Q400, but half of my FSPassengers flights in any plane at high altitude would randomly overspeed and it docked me for it. Took forever to find out that it was happening when FSX entered a new 'zone' or the weather auto-update kicked in and I was in completely different conditions. There's a weather-smoothing mod that fixes it, but I forgot what it's called.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
This is probably a pretty simple question, but what's the difference between the 'course' and 'heading' selectors on an autopilot? When I started playing FSX years ago, 'heading' was the only setting that would turn a plane in a particular direction and keep it there, so I just never messed with 'course' or bothered to learn what it was for.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ola posted:

It's cool to see how badly these unexpected failures go. I've flown on single engine and dead stick many times and thought I was pretty rad at it. But if I didn't expect it and it happened when I was concentrating on something else, I would probably not understand what was going on. Pretty similar to many real world events, which reflects well on the sim setup.

Of all things, FSPassengers is really good with this too. You can set the failure probability per-flight when you set up the career, and it's actually random compared to the stock FSX failures, so you have to keep an eye out for them. Stock FSX, you know that 1:25 into the flight you're going to lose a particular system because you selected the system and the time; FSPassengers will dock you for not rejecting a takeoff due to uneven thrust because you didn't check for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

I like FSPassengers a lot, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Windows 10 with my PMDG planes. Oh well

I wish the developer would sell it to someone else if he's not going to bother with developing it any more. It's very well done for a guy-in-his-basement add-on from years ago, but it has some issues like the tire blow-outs and your compatibility issues that are never going to be fixed as long as he's holding it.