Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm just starting to get back in to it. I spent a few hours yesterday on VATSIM tooling around my new home town and today I spent some time offline familiarizing myself with the turbo DC3 in the OP. It's pretty nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I currently own and have been using an X3D. It doesn't center or calibrate properly and requires about a 10% deadzone.

Your mistake here is not accepting the fact that the E3DP is an incredible entry level stick that should be considered disposable. I've found it much better than any other stick in the price range and despite having a Warthog I still prefer it for some games, like ARMA. I've replaced the thing twice in the past decade and TBH It's handy enough and cheap enough to warrant budgeting for a replacement every 3 years or so.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Check out FSRealWX in the OP or second post. It's been working pretty well for me the past few times I tried it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have an amphibious Turbo Otter and if the timing was right I'd love to try going on a confuse ATC with sea planes adventure (not this weekend, I'm going camping). The trick is to find an airport where the controllers would be concerned and confused without being able to do it easily. At first glance Honolulu would be easy to confuse APP/TWR at but in reality it wouldn't. They'd just clear you for 04/26W and call it a day.

Watching the poor newbie (its usually a newbie on GND) try to issue taxi instructions to parking, OTOH, would possibly be good for a laugh.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Suck at hand flying? Get the turbo DC3 on the first page. I find it's fun to hand fly but big enough to be a handful if you're not careful.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Let us speak about hardware for a brief moment.

So currently I am running dual monitor, 27" is my main, with a 22" widescreen flipped vertical, where I put all my vatsim stuff, plus drop other gauages like GPS etc.

Controllers I am running the X52 (nonpro), saitek combat pedals, trackir.

I really enjoy the DCS A10, but lately have been putting tonnes of hours into FSX with my buddy, flying 1-2 hour long hops.

What would be the recommended next step in progression for my hardware?

I had a few things I was mulling over;

1. Small touchscreen monitor, to use for input on FMS, GPS, or bringing up airport charts etc.

2. One of those saitek multi panels, either the basic switch version or the AP version

3. Profit?

If you like flying twin pistons or turboprops, I'd suggest you get the CH 6 axis throttle quadrant. I use that in conjunction with my warthog throttle to control props, mix and whatever else I want. The toggle switches on the front are perfect to map your radio controls which I find very handy for VATSIM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every time I flip the APU switch on mine I think 'poo poo just got real'

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Why are side sticks popular in sim setups? Very few jets use them.

I got to sit in an F-18 cockpit a few weeks ago. It was the first time I've sat in a modern aircraft cockpit with a centre stick. The stick position was uncomfortable as hell and I didn't like it at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone who puts down a nickel on that game before it's released and reviewed is a moron.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm in the market for some new peripherals in the next couple of months. Likely going to have to stretch out the purchases over a couple of months for budget reasons. I currently have a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, and I mostly play IL-2 1946 now.

My plan is to first get a Track IR, then rudder pedals (likely CH Pro), then the CH Pro Throttle, and finally the CH Fighter Stick if and when the Logitech dies. I think this will give me the most bang for my buck early on and eventually have me upgraded to a full CH pro HOTAS setup with pedals and Track IR. Or would you guys recommend I go Track IR -> Throttle (temporarily using mini-joystick / twist stick for rudder) -> Fighter Stick -> Pedals?

Definitely TrackIR first if you milsim more, then the CH Pro Throttle if you do mostly props.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how this pans out. The only World module I have is A-10 and that I bought thorugh steam and then activated using my steam key. Maybe they'll let me convert my steam A-10 over to the DCS module.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

:words:Logitech Extreme 3D Pro:words:

I've said quite a few times that the Extreme 3D Pro is a great stick but should be considered a consumable. I'm on my third one. It sucks but the other features make up for it.

quote:

Am I totally out of luck finding a stick that lasts & twists? I can always buy pedals later if I get a burning desire to fly Hueys or something.

The only other stick I'd suggest might be the Thrustmaster T16000M. It has hall effect sensors that should never lose calibration or start spiking/jittering. The thing I don't like about it is that it only has 4 buttons and a hat on the stick. The E3DP has 6. That alone kept me from buying it over my third E3DP.

That being said, now that I have a HOTAS and only use the E3DP for ARMA I might give the 16000M a go.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone who drops a penny on Oleg and crew's kickstarter is a fool. All you'll get is high poly rivets, gigabytes worth of pants textures and a massive bag of frustration and disappointment.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anecdote time! I have a real TrackIR. Snapshot, another goon who's an IRL friend of mine, used freetrack for a long time. The first time he sat down at my computer and tried a real TrackIR he sighed and said 'well, I guess I know what I'm saving up for.' It's apparently that big of a difference.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Any goons play IL-2 1946 online regularly?

Not a lot lately but I'm going to try to revive it over the coming weeks.

Ralith and i did some IL2 over the past week and 4.12 is a huge improvement. It's also finally a low maintenance game. Steam and GOG are both up to date and most of the stuff that used to make mods pretty much mandatory is now in the game itself.

Winter is coming so I'm going to have some time to organize games. This time it'll be Sundays during the afternoon from the look of things.

The thread is still up. Keep it bookmarked.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last time we tried an IL-2 revival we avoided mods for exactly this reason. Mods, among other things, drove people away. Now all we use is what Steam/GOG installs so people don't even need to update with the TD patches.

This time we're only asking people to maybe use the hyperlobby server browser, just because it makes it easy to find pubbie servers. It's small, easy to set up and doesn't touch your game install. Ralith had it going in about 5 minutes when he installed it a few days ago.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 8, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you take the 'I won't play because it's not pretty' attitude then you're going to miss out on a ton of fun games, not just this one.

FYI, it looks like for some stupid reason the only way to get the game on Steam at this particular moment is by buying Rise of Flight. It's stupid but whatever. GOG still has it, up to date and DRM free, for 10 bucks.

That being said...

:siren:The First IL-2 night of Fall 2013 will be this Wednesday:siren:

The weather is starting to turn sour, I'm about to have free nights to myself on a regular basis again and it's time to get back in to flight sims!

When: September 11th 7:30PM CST (NOTE: This isn't going to be the regular IL-2 night, it just happens to be a night when I'm free this coming week)

Where to meet: The #il2gs channel on irc.synirc.org and/or the Mumble channel in the OP of this thread.

What to have installed: Either the Steam or GOG version of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. No additional mods are required.

Also, probably Hyperlobby, a server browser for if we decide to join a pubbie server instead of hosting our own games. This takes just a few minutes to set up, is straight forward, and won't break your game.

What to practice before playing: Taking off without hitting things.

EDIT: Skim the OP and second post of the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 thread for info if you're new to the game, especially the part about the missing folders so you aren't wondering why you don't have mission briefings when you join the server.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I posted this a few posts up:

quote:

FYI, it looks like for some stupid reason the only way to get the game on Steam at this particular moment is by buying Rise of Flight. It's stupid but whatever. GOG still has it, up to date and DRM free, for 10 bucks.

Rumors go between '1C took this down because nobody's buying CLOD' to '777 took this down to sell more copies of RoF.' Either way, you can get it from GOG and just set it up as a non Steam game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just found out how to get your CD Key from Steam without ever having to install the game.

Open your Library. Set your view to Game Details. Select DCS World on the left hand list and then all the way to the right you'll see CD Key under the Links list on the right.

Voila. All the DCSW keys you got via Steam.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tried it. I found it ok but just ok. Once my trial ran out I uninstalled it. If a bunch of goons played it on a regular basis I'd join in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of IL-2, time for a crosspost.

:siren: ANOTHER REMINDER THAT IL-2 NIGHT IS TONIGHT, SEPTEMBER 23, 2012 AT 8 PM CENTRAL :siren:

You will need:

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Either the Steam or GOG version will be up to date. Those with CD copies will have to patch it to that level.

Mumble.

You may need:

Hyperlobby.

Booze.

POST GAME EDIT:

We had over 10 people show up and had a great time. The next time I host I'll probably have the MDS figured out again so I can make it generate even more fun missions to do.

the next 2 IL-2 sessions I'm hosting are scheduled as follows:

IL-2 Sunday Afternoon - Sunday September 29th at 2:30 PM CDT

IL-2 Sunday Night - Sunday October 6th at 7:30 PM CDT

Check out the IL-2 thread here. The OP is getting super long winded but that's because there's a lot of information in there.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 24, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can confirm that the CH pedals, while well built, are a bit annoying due to my massive cojones.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flannelette posted:

New Team Fusion mod is out for Clod

Is this the same one that was out a few weeks ago? I still had a hard time trying to like CLOD, even with the changes.

As for 'getting your WW2 fix' the old IL-2 may be long in the tooth but it's still way better.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does this mean you can finally use 64 bit XPlane with VATSIM?

That's one of the few reasons why I never tried it. I heard the 32 bit ran poorly enough that it shouldn't be bothered with.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
P much. I don't mind questions at all but we've covered the rudder pedal discussion a few times over. It's not that we don't want to talk about it but if you read a page or 2 from the point of that link you'll be able to cover everything we have to say about pedals in about 10 mins of reading.

In other news, I'm probably scoring a USB Sidewinder FFB2 for 15 bux. I think I'll use that for games where I don't want my full HOTAS once my E3DPs pots eventually die (again).

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 17, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a surefire way to get FSX addons and planes working with P3D yet?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's going to be Sunday November 24th at 6 PM CST.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
After seeing a few posts on the forums from LM staff, I'm starting to wonder if the 'no funhavers' clause in their license is all Microsoft or if LM is trying to keep people away unless they truely want a teaching aid, just to keep down the amount of ridiculous support and feature requests.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did you catch some awesome thermals on that flight? :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

2GB VRAM may be an issue according to some people.

Can you elaborate on this?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Post link?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So DCS 1.2.7 is coming out and I just realised that I both haven't played in a LONG time and I have all the modules I want on Steam but I'm still running stand alone.

How big of a pain is it going to be to get this switched over to Steam. I don't have a licsense key tied to my digitalcombatsimulator.com profile from the looks of it, probably because I got my old key from Steam and set that up in DCS World to begin with.

EDIT: just discovered how to deactivate my my old A-10 key from the lovely Starforce DRM and then unbind it from my digitalcombatsimulator.com account. Now at least I can either bind my new ones or just go with Steam. I just hope this doesn't mean that if I switch to Steam I can't use my current nickname. It'd be a small price to pay to not have to worry about this whole 'you forgot to deactivate your keys now you're hosed' DRM scheme.

EDIT2: Welp, apparently you still need that lovely starforce garbage when you use DCSW via Steam.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 6, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think I'd ever bother not buying from Steam. I never got any of the other modules because of this.

That being said, I got my Steam install all up and running with my license keys all tied to my proper ED account so it's all good. If I want to switch back I know how to deactivate my Steam install if need be but I can probably just leave it active on both.

I just tried flying the Huey. Oh god I miss aircraft with wings.

EDIT: I really hope ED and Valve start learning how to get along better because it really would boost sales. Steam Workshop is perfect for mission/campaign distribution.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 7, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
To be honest, I've had decent luck with the patcher. I'd just rather deal with Steam than with a stand alone install.

It also shows one more Steam player on the books. The more people walking away from the stand alone install, the more incentive there is for ED to get their act together when it comes to Steam support and maybe even drop their third party DRM. Starforce ProActive is better than Starforce - Computer Breaking Edition but I'd still rather not have to do all this worrying about how many installs I've used and being able to deactivate my keys.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So MadCatz has done a thing: http://www.saitek.com/x55/

Not even as many buttons and hat switches as the Warthog, making it an inferior product even if it was similar in fit finish and build quality. Hopefully it's at least better than the X-52 as far as quality is concerned but that's doubtful.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 20, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If they seriously used pots for that stick, they're loving morons. At least with CH kit when your pots wear out and the warranty's expired they'll sell you new ones for a good price. I'd advise anyone thinking of buying this to at least look at the CH stick and throttle, even if that means giving up on the twin throttles.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

it uses Hall Sensors for the Ailerons/Elevator axes (click "Stick Features"). Just like the X52/X52pro.

It'd be nice if they used them for the rotary and sliders (or optical sensors like on scroll wheel mice, as long as you can de-fluff them), too. From what I hear those are always the first to go on the X52 series sticks.

EDIT: I'm not making GBS threads on this because I want to see MadCatz fail, I actually want them to get their act together and start offering great products. It'd be great to get PC Gaming back to where every gaming PC had a stick attached to it and sims of varying levels of realism become a mainstay of PC gaming again.

It's just that out of the gate I know they can do better without breaking the bank.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 21, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's the thing about that stick. It's awesome and you got it for eight bucks. If in the not too distant future you find yourself in a position where you can use pedals, you'll want to keep it. Also, I'm on my third E3DP because they have terrible pots that wear out fast.

Keep the stick unless you seriously need the cash for something else. If you do, sell it on Reddit because they'll fall all over themselves bidding on something that was associated with a post that both got upvotes AND a response thread in convenient 'Awesome, it's a video, gently caress reading!' format. :allears:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Voice activated commands for things you don't use that often could work.

LIGHTSABER ON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I might be up for that depending on the day. For all of you who haven't done VATSIM in forever, your account may have been deactivated due to inactivity. You'll have to go to their terribly laid out website to find where to reactivate it.