Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, am I right that Mercenaries can't be traded/sold, meaning that the only way to get a copy of Mephistophelius is to pledge at Champion level?

I'm still considering it, but I have very little disposable income at the moment and $85 is a lot of food I wouldn't be eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Karnegal posted:

That is correct. As of now, mercs seem to be account bound. As to your dollars, you have 2 weeks before you have to pay, so you can always reassess later.

Mercs being account bound is definitely an additional consideration. I'm probably still going back it, because this game looks amazing, but I may not be going as high as I'd like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

He also got severely mana screwed in the first game, which is kind of interesting. I actually expect it to be a bit harder to get totally mana-screwed in a multi-color deck because of how resources and thresholds work compared to Magic, but that still doesn't help if you've only drawn 2 resources by the 10th turn. The charge mechanic also means mana flooding shouldn't be quite as awful, too, if still not ideal. I'm actually interested to see what the default resource percentage for competitive decks will end up being.

I think this will really depend on what you're planning on casting. If you need to be casting Extinction on turn 5 or 6, you'll probably want 25 or 26 resources and a Champion that has a pretty cheap and useful charge power. The free uses of Pact of Pain would be pretty good for that.

If there are artifacts that can produce energy, those could help, but you'll still need actual resources because of Threshold.

What I really like about the Threshold and Energy mechanics is that the need for dual lands is drastically reduced. However, I wouldn't object to a couple of cycles of non-basic resources that give you two different Thresholds.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That makes me a little said, as the insane price of manabases is a big reason that I'm not more competitive in Magic. Hopefully there will be enough product in circulation that these rare resources won't be too hard to find.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does anyone know how the abilities on cards like Ninja Training and Moment of Glory work? Is that spending your Thresholds or simply "you must have this many Thresholds?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a few questions that are nagging me.

1) How many copies of a card in a deck?
2) Multiple Threshold resources? Can't say?
3) Any idea when the contents of the starter decks will be released or are they random?
4) This is a longshot and probably way closer to blatant copying, but I wonder if it would be possible for there to be Champion that's similar to MTGO's Momir avatar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I need to see more cards. I'm already starting to think about a deck built from the cards we've seen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I really appreciate you answering our questions. However, you slightly misinterpreted one of my questions. How many copies of the same card will be allowed? Can I run 4 copies of Extinction or only 3?

And as a follow-up to another question, will the starter decks be random or will they be more like preconstructed decks?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 27, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

Considering the highest tiers give 4 of every card, I assume 4.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are there any PVP exclusive cards? I got the impression that there are PVE exclusive cards, but the other cards could be used in both PVP and PVE, as evidenced by the existence of equipment for non-exclusive cards.

If there are exclusives for both sides, how will they be distributed? PVE boosters and PVP boosters?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a question about Shrine of Prosperity. It says "if [the card is] a resource, it gets permanent 'charge your Champion.'" Does that mean that the resource will charge the champion twice when you play it or once every turn or what?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I've never played a game of draft before and from what I understand: You open a booster, take a card and pass the rest to the left. Keep passing them around till there's no cards left and you've gone through all 3 boosters like that. What's the real strategy with this format? Do you just take the rarest card in your first booster and start trying to build around that? Taking cards to deny another player something useful (eg. a great centerpiece black troop, when you've been building red/white) must be hard to balance against choosing something you need. Teach me how to survive at draft!

You're mostly right. For the first pack you pass to the left, for the second you pass to the right and for the third you pass back to the left.

You don't always take the rarest card, because sometimes the rarest card is crappy. You take the "strongest" card, which is a hard metric to judge sometimes. The idea is to create the strongest 23ish cards you can given that you're pulling cards one at a time out of booster.

Hate drafting (taking a card you "can't" play to deny someone else) is a thing you can do, but many skilled people don't advise it. However, I feel like it might be easier to play more "colors" in Hex limited than in Magic.

The best advice I can give you for drafting is to figure out what the strongest commons and uncommons are. Murder, for example, should be a first pick in a lot of cases. Among the commons, I doubt there'll be something that much stronger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Confirmation of 15 cards boosters or just an assumption?

Also, the first video runs on the assumption that draft will be a lot like Magic. The draft generalizations are totally based on Magic and probably won't be completely accurate.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 27, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What have you been getting offers for?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

The Spectral Lotus Garden, the one that generates the one-time-use lotus things that turn into tigers. This is a weird game.

I think you misspelled "awesome."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

New article explaining a bunch (all?) of the keywords in the set, with some new previews: http://hextcg.com/keywords/

There's one keyword I'm really leery about; the Magic players here will know what I mean.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Spellshield is what I was talking about. From the name, I expected that it would be "can't be targeted" by either player, which would be fine. The fact that it's "can't be targeted by your opponent" is worrying.

It should be fine, as long as it's used rarely, but if it every becomes ubiquitous, that could be a serious problem.

Do you think if enough people complained, they'd change Spellshield to prevent all targeting?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can you Counterspell the casting of a "hexproof" creature?

Also, what ever happened to Banding? Is that just not a thing any more? Banding was awesome.

You can, but the new philosophy in Magic is that creatures are more interesting that spells and counterspells are really uninteresting. So, they've made countermagic worse and creatures better.

Banding was a dumb ability that way more text than can fit on a card. Wizards doesn't want abilities whose reminder text can't fit on a card in 2 pt font.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That also assumes that the copy shuffles back in and Escalates too.

This being a digital game, I can see that actually happening, but until I get confirmation, I'm not going assume Overcharge is THAT insane.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

It actually assumes only that the copy's escalate will double the second copy of Ragefire in your hand--it doesn't care one way or another what happens to the copy.

I guess what I'm thinking is that Escalation reads "shuffle this card in. Then, double the number on all cards with the same name."

If the copy doesn't shuffle in, I can't see it actually Escalating. However, I'm operating on Magic rules at the moment, so it's totally possible that it'll work just fine.

Actually, rerereading Escalation, it saying "each card in your deck, hand and graveyard," which would indicate that copies on the stack won't Escalate.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glad that'll only be in PvE!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

My guess is that means X total damage, not X damage to target 1 and X damage to target 2, but it is PvE only...

I feel like it should say "divided as you choose" or "divided evenly" in that case.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

In the meantime, making a Mono-B Control list has been fun.

You too, huh?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

Yep. What I'm liking about it is that it seems to have good options at every stage of the game, and lots of efficient immediate-value plays. I particularly like Xarlox. And I'm pretty sure Life Siphon is more efficient at every possible casting cost than any equivalent cards in Magic (barring payments of 10 or higher, because at that point you'd think someone would have won already :v:).
I was thinking about Xarlox, but I wasn't sure if he's supposed to be Unique or not and hadn't decided to run him or not.

Most of the other Troops have a great immediate impact (Corrupt Harvester, Shadowgrove Witch, Giant Corpse Fly) and Blood has a lot of great spells. Life Siphon is just better than Drain Life or Consume Spirit. Extinction is great. I have high hopes for Terrible Transfer.

I'm undecided, but I think that Shrine of Prosperity might also be worth running.

quote:

After that, Three-Color Humans looks cool, too, but making that seems much harder.

Ruby, Diamond and what? Sapphire?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would be extremely surprised if they made you use your year of free drafts on their beta.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

We seem to have a lot of the same thoughts on this. It looks like Xarlox has an older card templating, so I'm assuming he'll be Unique. But I would probably still run 1-3 of him, myself. Cast him, 187 something, and then leave him to further clog up the board seems like what this deck wants to do until it can cast Extinction. Or at least, I could see it going like that. Do you think this deck (or at least the control shell for this color) should go hard in on kill spells/Siphon as a win con? To that end, I was also thinking about a 1-of Necessary Sacrifice for the late game.
I agree with a lot of this. If I can get copies of Xarlox, I'll run him. If not, Witch is a decent filler blocker that can make a guy smaller. Corpse Fly is also fine. Depending on how the format shakes out, I can see overloading on removal and winning on the back of Corrupt Harvester and Life Siphon. It would be nice if we could have 8 Life Siphon, but such is life.

quote:

I was also undecided on Shrine of Prosperity. I feel like it might depend on how fast the metagame is and how fast this deck is, too. But it's definitely a cool card. The biggest other question I have in mind is how many Pacts of Pain it should run. It's a dead draw beyond the first one unless they can destroy it, but it's definitely an effect that this deck can appreciate. Was Necropotence an automatic 4-of in its heyday?
If the format is really fast, I think Shrine might be really important, because it speeds up the Champion and all the spells.

Pact is probably a 3 of. Necro was a four of in a format with Dark Ritual and Necro didn't cost anything to activate.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, a wipe after a year would be pretty miserable, but I'd be fine with just playing and maybe drafting for a couple of months, having a wipe around New Year's and getting all the KS stuff after that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm not entirely comfortable with putting a deck up for loan if someone who borrows it would have complete control over what happens to those cards. I'd need some kind of guarantee that I won't get shafted.

On a related note, do we know if there will be trading? Will all card transactions have to be through the Auction House and the Guild Bank?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BambooEarpick posted:

Isn't this what the AH would be for? I mean, if you REALLY want it, I'm sure you could find a way to get it.

It sounded like picking on of the mutually exclusive cards would block your account from obtaining the other card, by any means.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm a sucker for previews, so I enjoyed watching the guys suck at playing just to see new cards.

Also, I maximized the video to avoid being tempted by the chat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

I tried to argue with a bunch of stupid people in the chat about that flyer showcased in the last match that it wasn't overpowered because you could always play cards after attacking.

I kinda hate stupid people.

Which side of that argument were you on? The card clearly states that if you attacked, you can't play cards.

I actually think that card is pushing the upper limits of power level. It's only 1 Diamond Threshold, it's a 3/4 flyer for 5, which is really solid and it makes your opponent's life really really awkward.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

So, has the goon-though consensus changed on this one? Early on people weren't all that excited for it. I am interested in getting the $500 tier. I would go higher but If I have four of everything you get no joy in open the boosters :D

The $500 tier that's been sold out for weeks?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Can someone dumb this down for me? Does this imply that cards in boosters are actually not going to be randomly generated? How would you tune a pack of cards for a draft if you pass the pack after each card pick? My brain :psyduck:

Are you saying you expect that every draft pick will be completely randomly generated? That I'll open a pack of 15 cards, take one and the next person will get a completely different set of 14 cards?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Grim posted:

I thought you were still restricted to only 4 of any single card even in drafts?

It is not this way in Magic. If you manage to draft 6 of the same card, you can run all of them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hey, so I know a lot of people on here got in at GK and I know there's going to be at least one goon guild. What I'm wondering is whether or not you all plan to give the extra boosters to yourselves, or if I could snag some.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I intend to draft every single set 1 booster I get my hands on.

I intend to draft most set 2 and 3 boosters I end up with.

What I'm trying to say is that drafting is amazing and is the main reason I backed Hex.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd be interested to see if they let us hold onto our 3 months of VIP or if we have to cash them in at the start of the beta.

Either way, it's an extra 12 boosters for free and other unnamed bonuses. Later on, $4 a month for 1.3 drafts (minus entry fee) is not awful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jack the Lad posted:

A buddy has been bugging me to try this out, and I have a couple of questions:

As I understand it, it's in beta now, not alpha. The donate page only lists alpha access under the slacker backer option. Does it give you beta access too?

How expensive is building a deck? Can you buy individual cards, or do you have to buy a million $2 boosters until you have the cards you want?

Your questions are not ones we can really answer yet. The Kickstater just ended and we haven't heard about alpha and beta starting yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You get two starter decks and 25 boosters. If you either use the boosters to draft or crack them for singles, you should be able to make a reasonable deck pretty quickly.

Are you intending on making the most powerful deck available or do you just want a reasonably good deck to have fun with?

• Locked thread