Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I found this thread last week after Google searching "something awful hex." I really thought there wasn't a thread!

Anyway, I read the entire thread up until this point and I'm really excited about playing with all of you. I only know personally one other person who backed Hex, and I couldn't convince anyone else to give it a try. So it's good to know there will be a community out there I can participate in.

I was extra excited to see we have at least one other member living on my side of the world. I live in Taiwan, so I am always missing out on the crowds. Lookin' forward to playing with you Grim :buddy:

To weigh in on previous discussions: I'm one of the ones who lucked out and got a pro-player. I played MTG and Pokemon when I was young and quit both because they were costing far too much money, and would as long as I played. The capacity of a TCG/CCG to be an infinite money sink was just too much. I (hopefully) won't have to pay a dime to get whatever cards I want with PP.

Also with PP, I ensure that even if I get bored of Hex after a year, four years from now when I get an urge to play a TCG I won't have to dump another $250 just to be competitive.

As for recent news, I feel like Cryptic is doing alpha in probably the best way possible. I appreciate the transparency. I really look forward to my invite email, but I'll be patient! In the meantime, I'm memorizing cards by drafting at hex-databank.

Anyone have any other tips on practicing before getting into the game itself? I've never drafted once in my entire life; the only knowledge I have came from a video about BREAD. I'm not even sure what sorts of things count as bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

I only know a few other people irl who backed the game, none of them seem to be as keen as everyone here to get into the Alpha - I tried to show the game off to someone and just couldn't log in, then later when I tried to show it to my brother the pass priority bug meant he couldn't finish a single game.

Based on the reports here in this thread on what the Alpha is like, I don't want to play it yet either.

Also I realized the irony of my statement about missing crowds after I posted. Taiwan is the 17th most population dense country/territory in the world. Anyway, Taiwanese don't play English games as a rule. They're more likely to play Japanese games.

Back on topic, thanks for the tips on bombs. I guess I'll just have to learn what's what as I play a lot of drafts. I'll definitely be playing Swedish style.

Anyone else looking forward to exploring theme decks and other crazy stuff? I enjoy playing The Best Deck, but I also get a real kick out of making decks that are pretty good, but also are just fun or have a theme.

Stuff like making a girl-power deck with only cards featuring women, or an all-dragon deck, or picking out a card everyone says is bad and trying to make it the best it can be. Plus I think it'll be cool to run faction decks. The world they have isn't the coolest thing ever, but I think the story is pretty solid, especially for an MMO (which are notorious for bad writing).

Speaking of female cards, has anyone else noticed the lack of women in the artwork? Now, I'm not going "OMG SEXIST" because the artwork they do have with women is totally classy (they don't even have boob-plate most of the time!) but they still seem to be outnumbered like 4 to 1.

It probably doesn't help that two of the races have no women at all, and it's just really hard to tell with the shin'hare sometimes (concubunnies excepted).

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

But Adar, CZE made ~promises~ and didn't keep their ~word~ so how dare you have a reasonable outlook because I'm not in alpha yet! Better check your privilege!

I'm interested in wacky deck shenanigans myself and making things like the 5000 damage spear work is something dear to my heart. The lore they have is better than what I would have expected and has enough loose ends which I'm hopeful they will run with. As I remember it, they have a dedicated guy writing all this stuff so that's neat. The necrotic are a fascinating spin on traditional zombie junk. Are they dedicated zealots of some voice in their head? Intelligent creatures who realize that they represent horror made flesh and have no choice but to fight for their right to survive? Does any human memory remain? All of that is cool. The rest of the races seem lack luster in comparison, but I'd buy a well written book about the necrotic.

Lack of female cards, I wouldn't worry about it much. The ones that already exist are amazing, like that orc gladiator who transforms into an elder. Just keep dropping hints that you'd like to see more and I'm sure we'll see it. The fact that the ridiculously fanservice'd coyotle female mage got axed is another positive sign in that regard. But yeah, let's see some battle crazed female shin'hare warriors, not just concubunnies. All shin'hare get thrown into the grinder, right?

Oh yeah I saw that spear and I immediately had fun thoughts.

As for the lore, I think I can agree that the necrotic have a lot of potential. I also honestly like the shin'hare, they're like self-inflicting eugenics Nazis. I think the coyotle have a lot of potential too. Honestly, games that have any serious culture based on Native cultures (not necessarily American) are seriously rare. People in general (probably including me) don't know enough about that sort of mindset to really relate to it, so nobody bothers. I think seeing a wider variety of RL cultures in a game is progressive and original.

I also like making interesting lore-based decks. What do you think about a deck that is in civil war with itself? The shin'hare enslaved the shroomkin, right? But there are lots of cards that could work with the theme that the shroomkin are in rebellion.

These cards are all suitable for this:
Mushwocky
Boltpaw wizard
Blood Cauldron Ritualist
Bloodbearer
Shin'hare highborn (shroomkin in the picture)

Necessary sacrifice (Shin'hare on the card)
Hideous conversion (has a shroomkin on it)

Get out the boltpaw wizards and ritualists, and the mushwocky, and start having at one another. More shin'hare would die, of course, but it could get pretty gruesome. The only problem would be that shroomkin troops are expensive and rare enough that you wouldn't want to sacrifice them.

I can't help but think that decks like this will just get more and more possible as the card base expands, and I get really excited about it. They won't ever be the best decks, but at least they'll be different.

I don't know about you guys, but the thing I dislike most about MMOs (including games like LoL) is the attitude people have of "It must be done this way, this is the optimal path. No innovation allowed." that inevitably takes root. Screw that.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

It sounds like at least part of the reason for the different regional servers is that the Chinese government (for example) starts dribbling and frothing at the mouth at the depiction of bones, so different regions will sometimes need different card art. Since each card is its own object, this could cause legitimate issues with trading things between territories. Tournament timezones shouldn't be too much of an issue, though:

I live in Taiwan. They're ok with bones :(

Please don't make me see lovely art because of the mainland :(

Hopefully it'll be possible just to play on the US server (I note Australia was not mentioned anywhere in the graphic).

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I managed to play two games with the AI before the vs AI died. I'm not sure why. I was never able to play a custom deck vs the AI, the only time I got it to work was with pregens.

The times I got to play though were super fun. It helped me realize how incredibly bad I am at this game. I didn't even know you could kill an attacking troop with a blocking troop.

For reference, how does it decide whether your troop kills an attacking troop? Does it match the blocking troop's attack with the attacking troop's defense?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Thanks guys.

Yeah... I'll go look for a tutorial somewhere. I also have trouble with all the jargon. I had no idea swiftstrike meant that until you just said it. The list I saw on the Hex website is also incomplete (unless they updated it).

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

There is something sweet about casting evolve on 7 pack raptors.

So many dinosaurs.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Tamba posted:

No, that sounds about right. Actually completing a game definitely is rarer than the priority bug triggering.

I've had really good luck this evening. I've finished almost every single game. Perhaps the priority bug has to do with load? (I doubt lots of people are on now)

Edit: I just had a game of pack raptors vs wild/blood shin'hare. There was blood everywhere as two murderous hoards crashed into each other. Unfortunately, we didn't get to finish. :( Still amazing game with so many amazing moments.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 26, 2013

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

When did they say they were going to implement guilds? Sometime in Alpha?

Also, to reopen that discussion, I'm voting for Hexagoon. That's just too excellent.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So how about some deck talk? I've made a ton of decks, and so far I think this one is the strongest:

Blood Component
13x Blood shard
3x Shamed Gladiator (Socketed to give you a card whenever it does damage to a champion -> this means when you play it you get a card, because it does 2 damage to you.)
3x Xentoth's Inquisitor (Socketed to deal damage equal to attack on summoning)
3x Misfortune
1x Murder
4x Life Siphon
3x Giant Corpse Fly

Sapphire Component
13x Sapphire shard
4x Eldritch Dream (Also socketed to give cards when it does damage)
2x Time Ripple
4x Buccanneer
3x Oracle Song
4x Flock of Seagulls

This deck wins against the computer pretty close to 100% of the time, and I rarely have to mulligan. The idea behind this deck is just having pure card advantage. It's all about efficiently using your own resources vs. bogging down the other guy.

Shamed gladiators, if you get them out early, almost always yield 2+ cards. Even if they never touch the enemy champ, at the very least, they are 2 health for 1 card and a 2/2 troop, which is pretty solid on its own. Xentoth's inquisitor is a counter to cards that remove troops and put them back into your hand. Every time that happens, he just deals 3 more damage to the enemy champ when he comes back into play. He's also good at suicidal assaults to take out larger troops with only 3 health. Who cares if he dies? You just put him back out and do 3 damage again.

Misfortune, Corpse Fly, and Oracle Song are to give you an even crazier card advantage. They're going to be praying the one card they draw into their empty hand is something useful. Meanwhile, you'll be at hand limit all game.

Buccanneer is basically a better version of Time Ripple, and they both serve the same purpose: get troops out of the way of your card-generating Shamed Gladiators and Eldritch Dreams.

Flock of Seagulls is probably the best wall in the game. Without them, flying cards walked all over me. Murder is there just in case you run into a hulking dinosaur or something (and is likely to be removed in subsequent iterations). Life Siphon is a victory condition: This deck almost always gets to turn 6-8, and by then one or two life siphons should win the game for you. Also better than murder in most situations.

Anyway it performs very well, and I'm constantly tinkering with it. I'm not overly impressed with Eldritch Dream so far, so I'm thinking of swapping it for something else. But I don't know what else fits the theme very well.

Edit: I hope I used the jargon "card advantage" right. I'm still not used to the lingo.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Tamba posted:

You might want to put some Extinctions into your deck, probably instead of the Misfortunes to help against aggressive decks with many low cost creatures. They can dump their whole hand on the board before you can force them to discard.

Thanks for the tip. I actually had one in there, but I ended up taking it out because the AI just doesn't field creatures fast enough for them to ever get the advantage on me.

Unfortunately, I play mostly in my spare time at work (I frequently have nothing to do). But I have to be able to go afk at a moment's notice, which means I can't test much against people. That's probably why I didn't see the weakness against fast aggressive decks.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Go RV! posted:

Just played 5 games post-patch, and only 1 got priority bugged. Looking pretty good.

I'm actually getting a ton more priority bugs. Yesterday I only bugged once the whole day (and I played all day). Today I haven't been able to finish a single game.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Anyone else notice the latest patch downloaded a bunch of files with PvE in the name? Maybe they're gearing up to add a few more PvE elements.

I'm pumped.

Also I'm somewhat curious about whether or not they'll stick with the "we won't alter cards" policy after paid beta release. They've been modifying cards like mad since Alpha started, I can't imagine they won't want to do that after release.

Though, honestly, everything has been very well balanced. I never considered the stuff they nerfed to be a huge problem. Escalation was annoying but beatable.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

I don't really see any reason why they can't do things the old-fashioned way with bans. (Except for PVE cards, which they've already said they might alter.)

They've altered a substantial number of cards already.

That's a lot of bans.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

They might set up a test server for upcoming sets? The amount of playtesting they do sounds quite thorough but there is nothing like a thousand nerds eager to play with the shiny new thing and press all the buttons - even if it is half-finished :xd:

This is an interesting solution, and there is precedent for this sort of thing. League of Legends has a testing server that for the longest time was both free to apply for and allowed you to unlock almost all content you could imagine for free. Yet people still played on their normal servers and gave them money.

LoL only closed the testing server to applications because the community there became a toxic cesspool even compared to the rest of LoL, which is saying a lot.

Anyway, I think they would not lose out on a lot of business offering the content for free in order to test it more thoroughly, especially if the testing server was limited to, say, people who posted bugs in Alpha or something.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Sign me up, I'm Solaris.

Of course I have crazy weird hours. So maybe I'd just be able to play a 2 person tournament with Grim :smith:

Edit: I made a Googledoc so we can have a spreadsheet of who's who.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6sxA02g4p-dFpJTm9IQ2F6ckhlRXc3b25kV1dOUFE&usp=sharing

Afgad fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 10, 2013

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I added all of you guys to the document, but I'd like to point out I made the document public. That means you can add yourself.

It'd be swell if everyone added their timezone. It'd help when arranging tournaments.

Should we put the spreadsheet in the OP?

Edit: Nevermind, I am dumb. Google made it so anyone can "view" it. Ok. I changed it to "edit" now. Sorry about that.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 11, 2013

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I wonder if "because the holiday is nearly upon us" means "we're adding special holiday events/content" or "we want to make this extra shiny so we can go on vacation and still remain on schedule."

Both are good news, if true!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Vincent Valentine posted:

Oh hey the tournament starts today, the tournament I specifically installed the client for.

Huh? What tournament? I haven't seen a patch. Did they add content without patching the client?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So how many months of set 1 are we going to get anyway? I thought we'd get at least 6 months of post-beta set 1.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I just got bitched out for using Bun'jitsu and Curse of Oblivion in a tournament (one of the automated ones, not one set up by the community).

Bun'jitsu doesn't work as advertised, but he's not game-breaking or anything. Is it really that bad to play him in a tournament?

Edit: Also, Curse of Oblivion is really good, and perfect for countering escalation decks. If it is not banned, how can using it be "cheating"?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Drafts are in? Time to get back into the game.

I wonder if they'll actually let me finish a tournament.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So I played a draft. For both my opponent and me, it decided to give us the white add +1/+1 hero, and put all of the cards available to construct the deck into our deck.

So we each had 100 resources and the junk cards we didn't want to put in our deck.

Alphanauts ho~

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

It wouldn't let me save my deck. When I clicked the save button it froze my screen with one of those spinning "thought-circles" and didn't let me do anything until the tournament started 20 minutes later.

I assumed it had something to do with that. But it also happened to my two opponents (it wouldn't let me save between matches either), so I figured it was a problem for everyone.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I did a draft and I went 3-0 before I had to quit. I rocked with a mono-white deck. Both of my opponents were blue decks with lots of fliers. Is that a common thing for drafts?

On the last game, the guy thought he was going to win. I got the last mana I needed and then instead of letting him poke at me, I started letting him kill my troops while I set up the combo.

I get up to 6 mana. I put down the captain of the dragon guard. He assaults me and does a bunch of damage with his 7 troops. He mimics my captain. I play my judgement card and kill ALL of his shiny toys.

He puts out his mimicked captain, and I attack. He blocks, thinking I got nothing. Diamond aura comes out and I kill his only troop. He now has 0 cards in his hand while I still have 4.

I proceed to completely trash him.

I love this game :black101:

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So there is a new card manager. All of you guys who were complaining before: How do you like it?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

The changes to Bun'jitsu are great. Finally, my favorite champ is ready to go.

There are lots of nuances to his power. For Goon reference:

*Temporary buffs to attack and defense, such as wild growth, become permanent if buffed troops are turned into an abomination
*Effect buffs, such as lifedrain, are stripped from troops when making an abom (makes sense)
*Abominations are base 0/0. Mimicking them is a waste of a card. (Either a bug with mimic or reverting kills the abom, still need to test)
*You can't morph exhausted troops.

Now you too can put out 15/15 abominations on turn 4 (and then lose).

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Whoa whoa, since when could we not choose which garden we would be a part of? IP based? What kind of bullshit is that? I don't want to be stuck with China because I live in Taiwan. I want to be able to play and trade with my US friends. I thought we could choose which garden we'd be a part of!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Go discuss it on the forums where this kinda thing is still open, maybe even send Cory an email about it.

Maybe they can change it to where you can play against everybody--but only trade cards within your garden.

I made a topic on the forums. I don't expect a reply but it's worth a shot. If it goes ignored on the forums for too long, I'll email Cory about it.

Also, I seriously dislike the idea that my pro player account will be worth less than a pro player account someone else bought, simply because I live in Taiwan. Fewer people to trade with, and they'll likely have lower costs in the "China" region than in the USA. So I get 44 PvP cards a week, but they're worth less in real dollars because I'm IP locked to a region filled with developing nations? It leaves a bad flavor in my mouth.

Anyway, I'll keep my rage down until it is actually confirmed on the forums that we can't choose our region.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

Afgad I'll keep an eye out for a cheap/free VPN service, I don't imagine that IP locking people into a region will be hard to get around - but yea I remember it previously being said that people could choose which garden to be in and so who they could trade with / etc, maybe it was just too hard for them to implement?

Edit: also just in case people weren't aware the HexTCGPro Challenge Series thing has a King Tier Kickstarter account as prizes for 1st and 2nd place

Thanks Grim. I'd probably just use Cyberghost if it comes to that. They're tolerable even when free. Thankfully Hex doesn't need a lot of bandwidth.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Remb posted:

I bought the slacker backer on the last week it was available. And from my few days of constructed playing, it feels like players are too invested in alpha's current meta.
I would think that both the fact that we're in alpha, and that we're given a full playset of every card in the game, this is the best possible opportunity to explore and experiment.
Yet maybe 2 out of 3 players I find in constructed are running some form of EoC/Puck, while the other 1/3 are either running a deck that counters it or is a new player like myself.

What's your keep name Remb? I experiment a ton (I'm a total Johnny) and I'd love to play with you if I see you on. I do all sorts of crazy stuff that usually is not viable at all (but sometimes is pretty good!)

My name is Solaris in game.

Even so, I don't know of any good way to counter those puck/EoC decks. But maybe someday! Until then, I'm playing limited.

Edit: I also see DMW45 on a lot. I believe he's a goon, and he's an over-all nice guy. I forgot which goon he is, though.

Double edit: I also want to debate the idea that now is the best time to experiment. Certainly it is the easiest time to experiment, but it's also the easiest time to copy other people. Once things get more limited, it will be very difficult for people to build those puck/EoC decks simply because they won't have the cards. I actually think open beta will also be a good time to experiment and actually get rewards for your experimentation.

Or we could just bank on our huge kickstarter rewards and build EoC/Puck decks and crush the guys who don't have those cards.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 5, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Remb posted:

I'd imagine once the monetized phase rolls in and trading/AH starts up on top of KS payouts, people will be building those decks within a week.
You'll probably even see some within 24 hours. Money flies fast when a person gets into a competitive mindset.
Right now I can make a deck for free with 12 legendaries, decide it's garbage, and throw it away. That's pretty neat.
Open beta might have an advantage though because someone can queue up their deck and grind it against a variety of opponents.

I agree, but I think that will be a very small part of the overall population, certainly not enough for every casual "on-demand" tournament or proving-grounds 1v1 match to be swamped with them. Players can want to win without wanting to spend a ton of cash (they may not even have the ability to do so).

In set tournaments with pre-arranged times and big prize pools, yeah, you're probably right. All the people willing to shell out more than the customary $1 will pit their various green decks against one another in a vicious dinosaur bloodbath.

As for customizing, certainly the most options are available to play with right now. But like you said, the variety to play against isn't that great because of copying. Hopefully goons can band together to address that problem.

Going back to my note on regions: I posted in the forum but there hasn't been a response from the devs yet. Here it is if anyone is interested: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34326

I'll give it a few more days then hit Cory up in an email (or call him.)

Edit: I tried to add you Remb but it says "Remb already requested you." But you don't show up in my pending queue. I'm not sure what's going on.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 5, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So I just learned reverting a card gets rid of the socketed power.

That just sucks.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Karnegal posted:

I would be surprised if we have a full launch (like including PvE and not just PvP) before 2015 or Q4 2014. We might get a PvP release in Q3

I hope they take their sweet time. The game right now is amazingly fun even with the occasional bug. I like having access to every card. Plus with unlimited drafting I can get a lot of practice before I start doing it "for real."

I do yearn for PvE though. Raids, Keep Defense, and dungeons all sound so awesome.

So how is it best to get in touch with Cory or whatever? I got about ten pages of replies on my thread about regions, but nothing from CZE. I'm thinking it's about time I bump it up a notch.

On a related note, why do people think that Kickstarter rewards are not a purchase? Someone seriously told me "It's not a product, it's a reward." So... rewards are not produced? How's that work exactly?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

People are stupid. We were promised something if we paid X, we paid X, now we're entitled to that something.

Ben I think that arguing with the brown sea is a losing battle. My general policy is to reply once and then just let them hang themselves on their own (For those who did not click on my link, Ben and I were engaging the Hex community on why Kickstarter is a purchase.)

Also the new patch is live. I'm pretty excited for the changes, I think they were all very positive.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Anyone else having trouble logging in? It is taking forever, and once I do get in nothing loads quickly, if at all. I couldn't join any drafts :(

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I've been playing around with the buffed shin'hare. They really suffer from a total lack of flying units. Sure, you can put in flying units from the same color (blood/wild) but they don't get the whole shin'hare synergy thing.

How would all of you get around that?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Remb posted:

Note Survival of the Fittest creates a "battle", not "combat". So almost all rules and triggers related to combat are completely ignored, even keywords like quickstrike.

The battle ignores quickstrike? Wow, I had no idea.

There really needs to be a list of these tiny minutia somewhere. They can be incredibly important.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Korak posted:

So for us that haven't been following since alpha began, how is the game shaping up compared to MTG?

I'm not very experienced with MTG, so I can't do a really in-depth comparison. I can, however, tell you how fun Hex is.

The drafts work great, the client is smooth, and the only real complaint I have is that the cards in the card manager don't load fast enough.

At least in draft there are a ton of different viable decks, and I get the feeling there is some leeway in constructed now that they nerfed the poo poo out of EoC (it needed it).

The game is not perfect but it's definitely good right now.

Sadly there is no way to get into the game at the moment. Slacker backer was removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

gredgie posted:

Naturally though, I'm hesitant to use the client because it's effectively stealing. I guess.
I wonder if there's a way I can just Paypal Cryptozoic $50 and maintain access. I shall contact support!

e: Contacted them. If they say there isn't I'll just not use the client until I get beta access or something, else it's not fair on all who've paid.

You are a good person.

• Locked thread