Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

One improvement that would be nice is a server status light or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Man, this support page is slow. I was one of the people that didn't get rewards after a draft yesterday, and I'm trying to submit a ticket, but it's taking forever to even register.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm not going to panic just yet, but I'm a little wary. That said, I wish WotC would put the money going into the lawsuit to actually improve their online client instead so they could actually out compete it than just destroy it.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think they were quoting a podcaster that compared Magic and Hex cards. They use it pretty directly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of cards that look pretty similar: Murder in MTG and Murder in Hex and whatnot.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I do play Magic and I did also kickstart Hex, but the money that went to Hex was not otherwise going to Magic. I'm a little irritated at that. There's people calling to boycott Magic right now, I dunno if that'll actually have any effect though. What I do hope is that Hex continues, gets a lot of publicity and when it goes Open Beta we get a lot of new players coming to check it out.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The more I think about this, the madder I am. Hex has been very careful to have completely different terms for things, and a lot of it is completely different from magic, namely the resource system and the champion powers. The fact that this might compete with Magic isn't a good enough reason to try to destroy Hex, and this looks even worse for WotC because this was kickstarted by a bunch of people, not just put out by a company. All the backers are going to be actively angry at WotC, and some may lose substantial amounts of money that they used to back, not because the project failed but because of outside influences.

I wonder what Cryptozoic is going to say about this.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I sent an email to Hasbro's PR department. Nothing inflammatory, because that never helps. I highly doubt that a couple of people sending an email will do anything, but if this suit does go all the way and Hex gets shut down, I will have lost money because of it, so I'll just cut out spending on Magic (which I play pretty much weekly) to compensate.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think I'm going to leave the Magic thread alone, the people there seem to be very anti-Hex, and there's no point in arguing. It's a shame, I play both games and like them for their differences.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I have been having terrible luck. I went to the 2nd round in my first draft, won my second, and haven't won a match in the next 6. I have 2 free drafts a week, so I will keep going but it's a little disheartening. A few times I know that I have had bad decks, but other times it's been bad beats and I'm starting to go on tilt.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I have an annoying bug now where my cards don't seem to load fully. I see them fine in the deck manager, but when I enter into a game they're all missing their card art. It's kind of annoying, but I hope they fix that soon. My other computer is fine, so I just play on that one.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Solitary exile is amazing because so few people run removal for constants. Each time I did that in my draft last night, it basically became "void target card forever." Won 3-0 because of it.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Most of my recent losses were just terrible decks, so I decided to follow the advice of just "have a good curve" and that worked amazingly. Every deck I played against either did nothing for the first two turns and died, or they did something like 2 drop and nothing for a while, then finally lost because I had 3 of those 2/4 Socketable Minor sapphire dudes and gave them all flying. That card is awesome. I tried Palamedes out, and while he was good I dunno if I should've just gone with Feather for the flight for all my guys or Dimmid for lifedrain.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The short answer is "we dunno."

The longer answer is that if things work similarly to other card games, it might be something like Set 1 Set 2 Set 2, or all Set 2, or something in between. There's a good chance that Set 2 will be smaller than set 1 and thus will have to be drafted with Set 1 in order to not be horribly unbalanced. From what we can tell about free drafts, you can enter any draft with the ticket. So if they split out to Set 1 Draft and Set 2 draft, you should be able to do either with your weekly draft.

Edit: The fact they're already looking ahead to Set 2 is really good! Their client still needs work, but the fact that they're moving to other sets quickly makes me feel like they're making progress with what they wanted.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The official forums are the worst place to judge anything by. The only people that post there are the ones that want the game to fail or spent so much money they will forgive any mistake.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The Alpha started in October, right? I realize not all the cards were out at first, but other card games put out several new sets a year so this isn't too crazy. I'm personally looking forward to new cards to play around with. One day I even hope people play constructed!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Jadiim is an amazing bomb. It felt so good to drop him, then a 4 drop griffon and swing for 9 flying. (while the opponent had no resources and no flyers) It's the first time I felt like I had a deck that would just crush anyone.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I remember they said that these were all the Set 1 champions. I wonder if they're going to put out more champs with set 2, and if so, what will they be doing?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I don't really want to mine through the cesspool that is the official forum.

edit: Beaten up above. I didn't see the official source, but it's a quote from 5 months ago.

I waded into the cesspit so you don't have to! Here is what I found on the "Might" system:

quote:

Champs don't level any more either. Remember, they run on the "might" system now, which is level up per dungeon and reset afterwards. The concept of an RPG character has been obliterated for Hex at this point. And no, having an account-level progression doesn't cover it; it needs to be a CHARACTER not an account that is leveling up.

That said, I talked to Kevin in person about this a few months back and have heard the reasoning for it. I'm not fully sold, but I do appreciate the problems they're facing with merging a TCG into the RPG. What they've proposed is as good as anything I've been able to dream up on my own.

The main problem is that they want us to be able to build any deck for any dungeon, but that doesn't work if you're "locked in" to your 50th level class/race combo that only lends itself to certain deck types. They're instead viewing your card collection as your "leveling" and progression meter. It doesn't really sit right with me, but I don't know what would be better (in their opinion). I liked the idea of champs leveling and being "locked in" just like you would be in any other MMO. If you were the Healer, that was your shtick until you spent the billion hours to go re-level in another class, and I am totally OK with that.

I don't know where this is coming from, it's the first I'm hearing it. I don't like the idea that you always start from 1 in a dungeon, but if there's alternate progression/leveling, then it might just be a different way of doing things. What I'm a little concerned about is the Guild Leader tier. It seems a little weird to switch everything up and make XP not matter if it's one of the benefits to the tier. I suspect there's something we're missing or someone's mistaken.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm really starting to look forward to set 2 coming out to introduce new cards, I think I'm spoiled from Magic having so many sets in a year. I have seen some interesting limited decks played against me, one notable one was a crazy mill deck with a Beetle (socketed to mill) and the 3/3 unblockable (socketed to mill) that destroyed me.

I played against Afgad last night and he was using the champion that can ping troops/champions for the highest cost artifact. I was curious how the other matches worked out for him, since it looked like a neat deck.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's definitely something to put in the sideboard, but it's a really effective sideboard card at that. If your opponent has at least one good Orc you can get a ton of value off just removing it, not to mention the fact that an Incubation Slave can eventually be a wincon.

It's interesting that a few Set 2 cards actually produce set 1 cards. There was also that 2/1 sapphire dude that turned into an Oracle Song when it died.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think a lot of the racial blandness is because they only chose a few races to highlight in set 1, being mainly Dwarves, Humans, Orcs and Shin'hare. Elves, Coyotles, Vennen and Necrotic will probably be getting their own spotlights and mechanics, possibly in Set 2. I think Tunneling will be a Vennen mechanic, though I suppose it could also be Dwarf.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think the reason it's gone (for now) is that it was too powerful. Making each burn spell slightly better, with the potential for +4 to everything makes creatureless control decks nuts. I bet we'll see the effect either further down the line or changed slightly. Maybe a static ability on a Unique troop or something.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm curious what the five new champions are like. The 6/6 for 6 with a charge power is a cool looking card, especially if you get a good champion's ability. Being able to give flight to your troops in a RB deck or even having it duplicate your champion make it pretty awesome.

It even synergizes with the champion that does damage equal to the highest cost among artifacts you control, because it's an artifact! A "free" 6 damage to target troop or champion ain't too shabby.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

A good point, but either way you still always get a 6/6 for 6. Sometimes it'll be an insane bomb, other times just a decent body that gives you a free rabbit.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm glad it looks like open beta is coming! I bet it lines up with set 2 coming out.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hex: Shards of Fate - Inspired by Magic

I kid, I kid. Here's some others!

Hex: Shards of Fate - The Midnight Shepard Tends His Flock
Hex: Shards of Fate: Set 2: Dingler's Revenge
Hex: Shards of Fate: I've got Soul (marble)

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

There is no way that this is happening anytime soon, I say November 11th.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

RIP VIP, too beautiful for this world.

I completely understand and I'm not mad at seeing it go, and they're including the benefits for kickstarters. I'm glad that their policy of "fans first" doesn't mean "be stupid about fans first."

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Obviously the servers are still down, but man, the new login screen looks spiffy. I don't see an exit button though and there's no menu that comes up when you hit escape, so that needs looking at.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Two posts above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Speaking of gencon, I remember they mentioned they'd be giving them out online as well somehow. Any word on this?

• Locked thread