Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm mostly interested in the PVE aspect of this game, where you are apparently awarded cards via playing. Are you expected to be able to clear the harder dungeons with just loot drops or will buying boosters become necessary? I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth pledging at King level since the main draw seems to be the mess of discounted boosters you get.

Also eyeing Dungeon Crawler tier but just saying "you get double loot in PVE!" without any info on how the loot drops actually work seems rather shady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Exclusive posted:

Am I the only one who gives 0 fucks about PvE? In fact I'd be ecstatic if they scrapped that idea altogether.

I would have had this exact opinion maybe a year ago. However, after playing the Lord of the Rings Card Game, my mind was blown. The entire game is you and some friends build a decks and play "PVE" vs. a Quest Deck and it is a truly excellent game. If you get a chance you should play it, I think you'll be surprised. There's a lot of potential in the idea of playing a card game vs. an AI, that's not the problem.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, they've explained it to a certain extent. They've released an article or two on it (Kraken's Lair) on their website. The problem is everyone who's played a TCG before *knows* what the pvp side of the game is like; PvE, no matter how well explained, is so new as to be hypothetical, and the parts that will determine loot value are precisely the parts they aren't going to explain till post release ("Yes, it will take you months of grinding to get a magic sword for your raid deck. You'll love it. Trust us. There will be lock-out timers and everything.")

This is the problem. I'm cautiously optimistic about Hex's PVE, but the main reason I haven't splurged on Dungeon Crawler is the lack of information. The way I see it, there's two possible outcomes:

A) PVE is a gigantic grind fest where you're expected to complete a certain dungeon or encounter or whatever a dozen times until you finally get the rare drop card you're looking for. In this case Dungeon Crawler's bonus is super valuable, but the mode as whole would not be what I'm looking for in a game, which means I don't want to sink $250 in it.

B) PVE is not grindy at all and you can attain most everything within a reasonable timeframe. In this case the game is great, but Dungeon Crawler's bonus might not be good enough to be worth the money.

Another thing that worries me is it becoming too easy. PVE is supposed to be free to play. How will they balance the fact that someone starting with 150 boosters and a shitload of promo cards and legendary items will likely just steamroll everything? If they tune it to be challenging to DC tier holders, how will people who spent no money be able to complete dungeons reasonably?

• Locked thread