Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I like Goon-kin and Basement Dwarves, but I'm also partial to the idea of Draft Dodgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

aunt jemima posted:

Do we have a confirmed yea/nay on Mac support for alpha?

Confirmed nay, at least when it initially launches.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm going to see what I can come up with for Blood/Diamond, because the name of the combination amuses me. It will probably be bad.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Begath posted:

Maybe a re-inspire deck? Diamond troops inspires your troops, non inspiring troops die, blood revives dead troops who have the permanent bonus from earlier and get re-inspired for double the effect.

(Please don't hate me if that's a terrible idea. :ohdear: I'm pretty new to tcg concepts.)

I'm also new to TCGs, but that sounds like a fun idea.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cory's tweet seemed to imply that it was still on for tomorrow.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Looks like Blizzard are up to their old tricks. Exactly 3 minutes before the Hex livestream started I got a Hearthstone beta invite. I'd bet anything they just did a massive wave of invites to try to steal some thunder.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I wonder if $20 Kickstarter backers come before or after slacker backers. I kind of regret not pledging more now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Either you're mistaking kbps for mpbs or you're on dialup with a modem manufactured in the 70's. Either way, you're probably not streaming. IIRC 3mbps is a comfortable minimum upload for a decent quality stream.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

King Burgundy posted:

Well, now I feel stupid. Of course.

But if I could pause at will and have all the autopauses off it would address it. Also, your above suggestions would be great.

Isn't there some kind of sliding window option where you can tell it "auto pass priority after N seconds unless I say otherwise"?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cory said in an interview that they were targeting 4 sets per year, so I'd assume at most 3 months of post-beta set 1.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Here is Stovetop posted:

I'm excited for this even if there is still no mouse over size increase to make cards legible.

I'd kill for that popup window MTGO has that shows a big version of whatever card you're mousing over. It would make Hex streams / shoulder surfing a lot more legible.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cory's Blog posted:

When it comes to limited play (draft, sealed, etc.) we have a pretty large number of formats and unique spins on it that we want to try (single elimination, marathon, asynchronous, etc.), but most revolve around actually purchasing cards.

I think this is the first confirmation we've seen that they're considering asynchronous tournaments, and let me just say thank gently caress. I don't know how often I could commit myself to sitting down for 3 hours to play through a limited tournament, but if I could just pop in and play a game whenever I had 20-30 minutes to kill (like I can in Hearthstone's arena), Cryptozoic is going to be getting a pretty steady cashflow from me.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That button isn't implemented yet, according to the patch notes.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

tijag posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Hex doesn't do any sort of multi-threading that I can tell. That would seemingly be a highly parallel task, to use each core to load up a specific image.

Depends on how high the non-parallel overhead involved is. Amdahl's Law is a harsh mistress.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just played my first draft, went 2-0, 2-0 with a :krad: mono ruby aggro deck, and then it ended before the last round, declaring me the victor. I guess that means the other guy dropped out, but I wish the UI was a bit more clear about exactly what happened when.

Are sealed and constructed tournaments currently disabled? When I looked at the tourney UI again, I only saw a Draft queue.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It's still too slow.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The "save deck" option really needs to be a) separate from the "I'm ready to play" button and b) on the main screen, not buried in a submenu.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
This is probably a long shot, but I figured now would be a good time to try since refunds are closed. I got in on the Kickstarter, but only as a Squire because I hadn't played any TCGs before. Now I'm kind of bummed out about all the cool stuff I'm going to be missing out on.

Is there anyone at the Knight level or up who's feeling disillusioned with their purchase (or just needs some extra cash) and would be interested in selling their account? I'd be especially interested in a King, Grand King, or $250-tier account, but I'll take what I can get. I'm willing to pay significantly more than the list price. PM me if interested and we can negotiate something.

Edit: Seller found!

Thoom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 7, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Afgad posted:

Those of us in other timezones are always going to get hosed. We're just not going to have the community the USA has. Combined with the whole walled gardens thing, I've pretty much resigned myself to never playing with anyone unless it's my early morning or late evening.

Walled gardens only affect who you're allowed to trade/AH with. Tournaments/games are global.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Zurai posted:

That's a minefield for a competitive game with real money on the line.

According to Cryptozoic, data about what cards an opponent has in their hand and stuff like that isn't sent to the client until they need to know. Aside from peeking at their hand, I can't think of anything a 3rd party addon could do to cheat that couldn't also be accomplished with a pad of paper and Skype.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing them staying in closed beta for very long. The real question is how long till the PvE content.

The impression I've gotten is that PVE is pretty far along internally, they just want to release it all at once, with a little bit in beta for testing purposes.

Also seems to me like the very maximum possible duration of closed beta is 3 months. Cory said in the recent interview that they wanted to release a new set every ~3 months, and that the clock starts ticking for Set 2 as soon as they start charging money (i.e. closed beta). I can't imagine them releasing a whole new set before they open it up to everyone.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

katkillad2 posted:

Theoretically when they implement PVE you could take a free starter deck and earn cards/gear that you could sell from doing dungeons. How lucrative that will be...who knows. Hearthstone is "free to play" though and while you get a free starter deck from Hex when you sign up, that's pretty much where the free ends. Not really fair to compare it to Hearthstone in that regard.

Edit: Are the card statistics/double backs not implemented yet, or do they not count for the starter decks?

There will also eventually be a crafting system where you can break down cards into raw materials and craft the cards you want / want to sell, so that's another way for a PVEer to play for free.

Double backs are not in yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cards from your free starter deck are untradable (if they weren't, you could generate infinite Gorefeasts/Tetalcas by just making shitloads of accounts). Cards from purchased/rewarded starter decks will be tradable when trading is implemented.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Primals are generated when you buy/are rewarded with a pack, and they come in addition to the ordinary booster pack. Or in the case of free drafts, primals are awarded when the queue pops and you're 'given' 3 packs to draft with.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It includes the packs. It would be a pretty lovely reward if it didn't.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I believe the chest ranks are the same as the card rarities, so common/uncommon/rare/epic/legendary, but I could be wrong.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Which basically means they're covering their asses and you can do what you want as long as you don't flaunt it and don't blame them if you get screwed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cost modifications definitely affect inspire troops. I've had a lot of Ruby Pyromancers become ineffective by being bounced a few times.

katkillad2 posted:

Make sure to put gems in your cards if they have a socket. Speaking of that, Lifedrain or Flying is probably going to always be the minor gem to put in cards I'm assuming?

Depends on the troop and your opponent's deck. For sapphire, flying always a solid choice (though Flash makes a cool combat trick to sideboard in if your opponent has no fliers). The double ruby intimidate gem (only blocked by artifacts and troops that share a shard) is pretty amazing on certain troops like the Hellhound, and Speed is always good in aggro decks. For the diamond gems, I tend to put swiftstrike above lifedrain. For wild, +1/+1 can be good depending on your opponent's deck, and spellshield is great in a Nelebrin Skirmisher or Boulder Brute. I almost never use the blood gems, but I suppose the rage one isn't bad in certain decks (like in blood/diamond on a Phoenix Guard Aeronaut).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Zurai posted:

Personally, I feel Time Ripple is the best removal. Instant speed, works on everything, can utterly gently caress up tempo if you're playing a deck that cares about that, and is the cheapest removal aside from Repel. Yeah, it's only soft removal in that they can re-cast whatever it is and even counters don't go away in hand (learned that the hard way!), but frequently all you need is to get that one vital card off the board when your opponent needs it most.

I'm not sure I'd call Time Ripple the best, but it is very good. You can also use it on your own cards to save them from enemy removal.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Here is Stovetop posted:

Man even playing against fairly competent and quick opponents the phase switching is just painfully inefficient. Feels like a 2-3 second delay to get a button to pass phase, then another 2-3 seconds to actually complete the pass, this is compared to my time in MTGO where it was passed as soon as button was clicked. All these graphics seem terribly inefficient, particularly coupled with no mouse over size increase, or text tool tip. I want to like this, but I'm still struggling with the QOL issues present.

It does make the game a hell of a lot more watchable though. I tried watching an MTGO stream the other day and the guy was alt tabbing between 2 different matches and zipping through his turns so quickly that I couldn't follow it at all. They have said that more powerful priority passing options are in the works, though, which might get the speed of PVP matches a bit closer to the fairly zippy AI matches.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

I admit I'm kinda wondering what could possibly be causing this long a delay considering how well they were working before things went "live." I hope they didn't extend tickets for three weeks because they think it'll take that long.

Early on they mentioned it being a "hardware configuration" issue. If the alpha was all on one server, I could see them having issues with transitioning to a distributed architecture. I also think I heard we'll be getting a writeup about the problem once they solve it, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Yeah, as soon as tournaments are up I have over a hundred boosters I plan on grinding through. I even went on a giant nerd-gasm and made a goddam spreadsheet of all my rares and uncommons so I know what I still need to draft and what I can let slide.

Any chance you could share that spreadsheet? Sounds useful.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yes, mine just appeared. It expires a week from today, so it looks like time extension was a one-time thing.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 1, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

eatenmyeyes posted:

Nin the Shadow
14 Sapphire
10 Wild

4 Pack Raptor
3 Oakhenge Ceremony*
1 Ancestor's Chosen*
4 Buccaneer
4 Peek
4 Flock of Seagulls
4 Time Ripple
4 Mesmerize
4 Oracle Song
4 Mimic

*limited by number owned

It's been working well so far.

Nice. I think I'll probably build one of these when I have the cards, though I think I'd use Wyatt the Sapper instead of Nin.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Assuming they stay on schedule, I'd say 2-3 weeks, as trading should come out around the same time as the AH, which was supposedly a month after beta launches, and they claim the tournament issues haven't slowed down AH work at all.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think that will probably be adequately compensated for by everybody being horribly draft-starved and anxious to play.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Gross Dude posted:

I know on MTGO the 4-3-2-2 queues have bad EV and all, but since on Hex it's 5-3-2-2, that means that it's the same EV as an 8-4, no?

There should eventually be 8-4, 5-3-2-2, and Swiss queues. In theory, 5-3-2-2 is never a good deal, but in practice since your winrate should be higher in less competitive queues, there might be some cases in which 5-3-2-2 has the highest EV (e.g. if you can manage above 50% winrate in 5-3-2-2 but not in 8-4).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The current AI is basically a placeholder that seems to basically make random legal moves and only attack if it will lose nothing. Other fun things I've seen it do are cast Wild Growth and/or use Poca's charge power in the second main phase.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Doesn't seem like there's any way you could possibly prevent it in any online TCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Wizards of the Coast is apparently suing Cryptozoic.

• Locked thread