Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
In @ King level. This looks really good, and scratches all of my Magic itches with out all of the Magic hassles. No need for an economy based on non digital product, an interface that looks clean and functional, and digital product at a decent price. Drafts for $7 instead of $14, because you again don't have to have digital product with the same cost as paper product. This means I can spend half as much as I do now for a similar experience, or I can get in twice as many drafts for what I pay now. I hope this thing takes off and goes places, and I could careless if it makes WOTC sit up and take notice of the garbage that is MTGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Spectral Lotus is the new SOJ.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Blazing Zero posted:

No one's denying the fact that there will be bugs. The question was whether it will be an actual beta or a launch with a beta tag floating over it.

This is pretty much all betas now. They are usually "soft" betas, which mean you can usually spend your money, because your account isn't going to get reset, and play, and help the find bugs. Most successful F2p games relying on microtransactions are doing this. I wouldn't be suprised by it in the slightest. The word Beta doesn't mean the same thing that it used to. It usually means, we have a product that is pretty finished as far as we can tell, but we are still looking for bugs and stress testing.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Vomik posted:

Aka consumers just open their mouths and let the poo poo just slide right in... all the while thanking them for the privilege

Pretty much the gaming community has allowed this to happen to themselves back when they started pre-purchasing games for beta access. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the current state of affairs, enough people did vote with their wallet and say they wanted this that we are getting it full on.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Karnegal posted:

Not people who actually like playing the game. In Magic, I get to play Legacy far more rarely than I'd like, and I almost never get to play Vintage. The tension in MtG is that the cards are so expensive that devaluing them with reprints is devastating to people with a lot of $100+ cards. Hex could just avoid that from the outset. I'd much rather see moderately valuable cards and formats I can actually play as opposed to super expensive collectible cards that make the eternal formats unplayable.

Well the other part of this Karnegal, is that there was so little legacy/vintage support in MTGO where you could play any time you want. From the outset folks are going to have access to all the cards to build all the decks, there isn't going to be the issue where, the p9 haven't even been released. I imagine there will be a higher demand for "legacy/vintage" style play on Hex simply because from the jump the needed cards are available, sets will go out of print even if individual cards are reprinted in the future. The main hurdle in MTGO to legacy/vintage isn't actually so much the price as it is some cards weren't released for so long, or had stupid low "availability" times like whatever set that Force of Will was printed in. I mean a playset of Underground Seas on MTGO run you like 160 bucks vs 140 for a single one in paper.

Just because a set goes OOP doesn't mean that individual cards ever will. Besides, even if they didn't force old sets "out of print" the release of new sets pretty much demolishes the draft scene for older set, unless the new set is horrible. It's a complicated beast, but I believe in the inherent need of going out of print for the health of the game, otherwise yeah, everyone will have access to every single card after a point, and what will be the point in trading anymore.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

katkillad2 posted:

Oooh I get it now. When I was a kid and collected baseball cards the same kinds of things were talked about. Like "x rare baseball card usually shows up 4 packs deep on the top right of a new box" kind of thing. So even though this is digital they think it's best to have a formula/pattern used to determine cards in boosters rather than being actually random.

I guess that's alright, my first thought is it seems weird to adapt a system created due to the limitations of trying to make things appear to be random when they technically aren't...but i've never made a TCG and people seem to think it helps in drafts so ok.

Well think of it this way. In a truly random back you wont get an even distribution of colors. You end up with a much higher variance leading to packs that may contain 50% blue 25% red 25% white cards, with no green or black in the pack. Now this can still happen but it is less likely for you to open a pack that is completely void of a color or completely swamped in another, in a 5 color situation, you basically want 2-3 cards from each color represented, with a couple spots taken up by colorless or multicolored cards. So the distribution while looking random keeps packs diverse which leads to a more enjoyable limited environment.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, the deck editor looks functional rather than exciting. I really hope they have the ability to sort by card cost in the final version - that seems like basic functionality and I don't see it anywhere unless it's hidden under "List Option 0". I also don't like that the costs aren't actually sorted by cost, but I'm pretty sure that's just the pre-alpha being a pre-alpha. The test draw feature is nice, though.

Now, the possibility of being able to import any deck entered in an official event? That's pretty awesome if I'm not misreading it.

It says right in the article you can filter by cost.

quote:

...you can do that with the advanced search button, which lets you search by cost, threshold, and more.

Edit: Ah I realize now that I think you are talking about in the deck field, sorting by Cost so you can see your curve.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

The Moon Monster posted:

I've really lost interest in that game. The beta has basically just let you pit two preconstructed decks against each other for months now. Although they recently upgraded it so you can buy more decks. I'm sort of amazed they're charging money for a game in such an unfinished state.

This. Not even looking forward to this game anymore. I don't think much of anyone else is either. It took months for the PC to get the same beta that was available on ipad. I got excited when it updated, but the computer on hard is barely a challenge, and we still haven't seen anything that looks like PvP that isn't on a local lan, nor have we seen deck building. What is also fun is that if the computer uses one of the 2 race demo decks, it has access to cards you don't in the same deck.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Karnegal posted:

Wait what? I've played a lot of games on both Steam and iPad, and I've never noticed any opponent exclusive cards. I think the game fills a different niche than Hex, and I'me still interested, but the flow of information has been awful.

They aren't exclusive, so there are 4 mono starter decks. And 2 demo decks, that are each 2 faction. Now the demo decks that are 2 faction don't have access to all of the same cards that are in the starter deck if you play them. If you play the computer AI on hard, when it plays a 2 faction deck it has access to cards from both factions that are not in the demo deck that you have. So it doesn't have exclusive cards, it's just that it's actual 2 faction demo deck has either more cards than yours or it's made with better cards from those factions. Let me rephrase, it seems like the 2 faction deck that the computer AI gets has access to all of the cards from both faction starter decks, while the 2 faction decks the players have access to, only have half of the cards for each faction.

Here is Stovetop fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 12, 2013

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Magic does usually have one or two colorless fixing cards at common in sets, but very rarely more than that outside of multicolor blocks, and even more rarely have constructed-quality colorless fixing at common. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the signets in Ravnica block.

Which they pretty much stated was a bad choice!

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
No, no, no, steaks are to be seared at high heat. Salt before, pepper afterwards, you don't want burnt pepper on your steak contributing a bitter flavor.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I do wonder about thier cost/vs prize payout structure and how good it is for the economy. The draft fee doesn't come anywhere near covering the 12 packs of prize support. Which I think is going to result in an even bigger market flood of cards, because why buy all your packs, when you can buy three and then with pretty good patience get 1 at half price, provided you only win 1 round, going 3-0 in swiss you just got 3 boosters for half the price of 1. Skewed even higher in the 5-3-2-2 and 8-4 categories. Going infinite is a much easier possibilty in this game simply due to the low cost of entry.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I never said going infinite was easy, I'm also not worried about CZO making money. It's a game you pay real dollars for digital product, it prints money we know that. Again my concern was the player market, which is got to be heavily flooded, particularly again because the cost barrier for entry vs the payouts is very high. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, at the beginning it's going to keep competitive card prices low. It could be really good in the long term of the game, if drafting maintains a very strong draw, CZO is going to print money, and constructed is going to be fairly cheap to enter. I think it's win win. It was more a curiosity about the whole thing than a statement against good or ill.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Hellbent is a mechanic to give traditionally weak card advantage colors, board advantage for being out of cards. This fits in extremely well with most "red" decks because their usual strategy is to keep an extremely low mana curve and dump their whole hand and win on turn 4-5. Now this dude gives you a little bit more reach, if your plan doesn't come together the way you hoped, or if it does come together the way you hoped, he helps make that win faster.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Selane posted:

I think Wizards is in for a bit of a rude awakening with regards to a decent chunk of their audience. I mean, is Hex going to kill Magic? No, obviously not. The same people will play it, and a lot of serious players/pros will keep playing Modo. But for people like me that only play Magic online, and don't play paper, are you kidding me? As soon as Hex and Hearthstone betas start I'll be uninstalling Modo so fast my hard drive will burst into flames.

Obviously Magic has no problem competing, but Modo sure as hell can't compete with well-designed digital only games, at least for casual players. It's no exaggeration to say that Wizards will never see another cent of my money because digital is all I play, and from the perspective of the digital only player Magic is the ghetto alternative, not Hex.

edit: Not only is Modo a piece of poo poo program, but Wizards isn't doing themselves any favors by treating online only players like second-class citizens with late set releases and whatnot. Plus it's economically impossible for them to compete price wise, when they have to peg prices to paper product.

This is the exact same boat I'm in. Also, if MTGO wants to comedown in price they are straight up going to have to stop the trading digital for paper program which I am sure would shut down a lot of players. I know a good chunk of people only play mtgo for anytime drafting and the ability to turn their digital into physical product. Hex doesn't have to worry about pricing their digital product to paper, because you can't cash your digital product back out. I think this program was the big mistake, but at the time, it was probably the only way to grow a user base, as folks at the time weren't real big on purchasing digital property.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
You sound up set that they are letting you play an alpha (which typically is internal only) and that it is going longer, most likely to decrease the chance of bugs further down the road?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Vincent Valentine posted:

That really needs to be answered soon. I only pledged once so it doesn't affect me, but it would be bad if someone gives an alpha invite to a friend and two months from now they say "Okay well, since that key was used to register an account you can't combine it with another account."

Worse if someone registers themselves twice so they can play against themselves to see if a certain type of deck will counter them. :smith:

The first of these 2 situations would be the users own bad. You gave away your alpha invite sorry charlie. I don't even know why the second one is a concern. So what if they want to play against themselves, what difference does that even make.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Honestly that is the smart/path of least resistance way, that also allows those with multiple pledges to possibly pull in other friends to the slacker backer. Good publicity if their alpha is nice, and quits with the headache of what to do when coming across the same account multiple times when sending out the mailings.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
So one of the Minor Sapphire gems gives the unit, flash. I really hope the keyword for this is BAMPH!

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Next wave just went out 4k more invites if the FB post is correct. I'm one of them YAY can't wait to get home.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Ugh won't create account, just hangs out :(

CZ posted a response

"Your Account is Being Created" Bug/Delay
Our servers are currently experiencing a bottleneck with accounts being created. We apologize to those experiencing this issue. You are welcome to wait for your account to be created, or you could create your character at a different time when there are fewer users registering. On a positive note, this invite group was very helpful for the engineers identifying different resource requirements, processes with this increased number of users. So, thanks for being great alpha testers, Kings!

Here is Stovetop fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 7, 2013

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Close the client and launch again, this has happened to me a few times, if it hits the end of the bar give it 30s and if it doesn't complete the login, close and try again.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
There is already a bug report on the forums about not going first. The bug works both ways though, some players are ALWAYS going first, while others are always going second, unless they play against someone with the same defect in which case it actually works like it should.

You can also hit escape, if you have started to cast a spell but changed your mind because you didn't realize there was no target you actually wanted to hit with it, this just cancels the spell and leaves it in your hand.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Anyone found a way to re-size cards? I have trouble even making out the names of the cards, so if it is stuff I don't play with regularly I always have to zoom in then zoom out, it would be a lot easier if there was mouse over tool tips, or mouse over 50% size in crease.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
And I'm pretty sure mimic won't kill it as it's 1 unique per side. Though I could be mistaken on that.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

ImperialGuard posted:

Welp, that fixed it. :suicide:

E: My first game, and my opponent seems to have gone AFK during their turn. Earlier they complained the game was "unplayable really", as if this was one of those "demo betas" the industry has so many of.

He probably didn't go AFK, there is a sync bug, that causes neither player to be able to pass priority woot.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
In as Fleshmire.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I haven't seen the vanishing cards thing in a while, most recently, tournament games just never fire, says the game is in progress but I never actually enter a game, and I'm having some sort of weird sync error where the game goes to syncing for 30-45s at the beginning of every turn and it re-adjusts all the cards on the field then goes through and removes then re-adds everything to the graveyard like one card at a time. Eventually this sync process begins taking so much time it's just not worth playing anymore.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Is it still too much to ask to be able to chance the default card size when in hand or in play? This game while playable it takes a lot of fun out of the game to constantly have to zoom in and out on cards to remember what it is they do.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
It still shuts down a combo by hitting every copy of the "finisher" card. For combo to work against that it actually needs 2 finishers, and I don't know if the pool is deep enough yet for 2 different finishers to the same combo.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Tamba posted:

It doesn't void the card that currently being played, just every other copy of it.

You are right my reading comprehension fails.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I'm excited for this even if there is still no mouse over size increase to make cards legible.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Pretty sure they are going to be fire on demand just like the constructed tourneys.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Thoom posted:

I'd kill for that popup window MTGO has that shows a big version of whatever card you're mousing over. It would make Hex streams / shoulder surfing a lot more legible.

Yeah I know it's alpha and all. But as much as they are pushing the e-sports and streaming, you'd think quality of life improvements that make the game easier to stream, and quicker to actually play would be getting some priority. If you want to build hype via streams, your game needs to be more understandable via stream.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
They are pushing people to stream this game on twitch, they have put out multiple custom overlays to make the process of streaming easier. They hold tournaments on twitch as well. It's pretty obvious to me that no really advertising is going on, because new players can't actively get into the game yet as the alpha invites were in fact limited. But they seem to be going out of their way to have the community help build hype, and I can't even watch streams of this game because the streamers spend so much time talking about what the cards do, instead of their decision making processes that it's really drab.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

DrManiac posted:

I decided I'll try sealed later after the first match never started after I had to wait 30 to get 8 people and 30 more because there isn't a done! button in the deck editor.

I couldn't even load into the tourney room so lucky you.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Man even playing against fairly competent and quick opponents the phase switching is just painfully inefficient. Feels like a 2-3 second delay to get a button to pass phase, then another 2-3 seconds to actually complete the pass, this is compared to my time in MTGO where it was passed as soon as button was clicked. All these graphics seem terribly inefficient, particularly coupled with no mouse over size increase, or text tool tip. I want to like this, but I'm still struggling with the QOL issues present.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

OBi posted:

Did they ever give a final answer on whether you'll be able to join multiple guilds?

I think they said "No" with the reasoning having to do with being able to check out/borrow guild decks for use, and being in multiple guilds complicates that. I am having trouble finding the quote though.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Equilibrium posted:

The real dream scenario is that WotC absorbs CZE and forces them to put out a MODO client that isn't complete dogshit.

God no. I don't want my digital TCG prices tied to cardboard prices. I like the fact that the game is half the cost of MTGO, and could probably be even cheaper because there are no card board collectors that they have to keep happy. There is no reserved list or any of the poo poo associated with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
You can do stuff like that cause it's digital yo. The machine tracks that stuff so you don't have to. As such effects can and do often affect stuff for the entire game. Target creature gets +1/+1 permanently, through all zones, it persists if it goes to the graveyard and gets returned to play, or bounced to your hand and returned to play.

• Locked thread