Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm really excited for this game, MTGO was just too expensive for me to justify other than trying it out once or twice. I really enjoy the DotP releases they've been doing, that gives me my TCG fix for a while. These generous stretch goals make it so I feel like I can actually afford it to get invested in a TCG from the ground up. Like a few others have said, I get nerd fantasies when thinking about if I could have gotten in on Magic from the beginning. I probably would have if I knew it existed, but my first boosters were from Ice Age.

I'm feeling rather impatient and I didn't back Infinity Wars or Solforge, are there any other online TCG's worth looking into? I played that Might & Magic: Duel of Champions the other day and it is competent enough. If you do the three missions by the end you have enough for a starter deck and about 10 packs of cards not including the 5 they give you as a reward during missions. I was able to turn my starter deck into a not so terrible version of it. It's not good enough i'm going to drop any money on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Might be exclusive to that encounter right now, but going forward I think it sounds like a pretty awesome idea for a dungeon. Design it around the idea that when your creatures die they are dead and when your spells are used they are gone and/or giving the AI the ability to mill your cards or remove them outright. Maybe make the dungeon completion rewards scale with how small your deck was when you started since having a larger deck will make it easier.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

So, they released the Elf Update today. Apparently Elf Clerics are half-furry satyrs.

Considering there are rabbit people, coyote people and cat ninjas... the Elf Cleric with hooves and horns didn't even set off my furry alarm.

I can't decide if I want to add a King to my GK pledge. I'd like to have a set of the PVE/PVP cards, but I don't know if it would be cheaper to get it over with by getting the additional King tier or trying to get everything off the AH at release. I know there are plenty of people who aren't going to care about the PVE stuff. Really i'd like to add a collector to have a set of the alt cards but that's just more than i'm willing to spend.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Also will there be options to just draft with my friends/other goons I mean with the abundance of packs from the Kickstarter (as I am in for Grand King) can we setup a goon only draft if we have the product/tickets? I mean I plan to drop some of my 30 pack "Gifts" on just throwing them for goon drafts to get us playing the game and such if that is possible.

One of the KS stretch goals added "Guild rankings and guild tournament support" so hopefully that means we can. If we are all paying the packs and fee I don't see why it should be an issue. Having in guild tournaments sounds pretty awesome.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

HotBobaloo posted:

I guess I will take the plunge and go with Dungeon Crawler. I'm assuming that actual cards are part of that 100% bonus and not just gold and equipment. Have they confirmed that cards drop in dungeons and they are part of the bonus?

The description says, "100% extra loot drop (gold, items, etc)" so it doesn't specify cards being included in that. You can't get PVE cards in boosters though so the only place they will come from is doing PVE content in which case I hope it includes cards and would be kind of weird if it didn't.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Honestly even if you don't care about PVE, if you are backing the kickstarter you should probably just sit on all of the KS only cards.

I'm a little annoyed that the rarest card of the kickstarter is probably going to come from a shirt.

A little off topic and might be a long shot, but was anyone in here in that Mojang Scrolls beta? Apparently it's going open beta in a few days and it's going to be $20 dollars. I'll probably buy it regardless but was wondering if anyone had any experience to comment on the game from the beta.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Back onto Hex though, I saw the update about the T-shirts but is this some sort of limited opportunity? I haven't seen who, where, when and how about them, just that they want to make them and possibly attach a card to it.

I'm a little confused on the situation as well. They are definitely making shirts regardless, the last update said "I think most people will be stoked to get the cool cards, but if you feel differently, please vote that way, and in the end we will live by the decision of the community."

But then almost immediately Cory posted in another thread saying now he thought it was also probably a bad idea and how this was a good example of how good intentions could go bad or something. So who knows, the poll they did is at %60 for attaching a card to the shirt and it says the poll ends Wednesday.

When they offer the shirt or shirt and card it should be an option on kickstarter page, unless they are going to sell them from their own website.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Jeffonious posted:

So I might be overthinking things, but the Grand King tier will receive 2 copies of the Spectral Lotus Garden?

Yea, grand king will get 2 lotus gardens. One for being grand king and one for having the collector tier included. You'll get 3x of every other KS card that isn't the lotus garden and the raid leader card which you'll only get 1 of.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The PvE/PvP mixed format is going to be a flood of one-round-kill craziness unless you're only playing with a small group of friends at your same level or something.

I think they really need to have a setting to adjust total health for this mode. So each player starts with 100 health so the game isn't over in 3 turns or whatever.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 28, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

As far as worth is concerned, I feel like Dungeon Crawler is the biggest gamble. I'm pretty skeptical because as mentioned most people paying money are going to be interested in the PVP stuff. From what I understand, there's not going to be any PVE loot that PVPers will be interested in except for champions maybe but you can't trade those anyways.

Will equipment and PVE cards really be enough to make Dungeon Crawler one of the most valuable tiers? I mean there aren't mounts or pets in this game so i'm having a hard time seeing it. I'm the kind of person who can get 40-60 hours playing solo from the DotP releases though so I know i'll enjoy the PVE content regardless.

I still think the collector is the hidden gem, even after they doubled the cards in that update as of right now there will only be 604 sets of the alternate art pvp cards each year. Still a little bit of a gamble as it probably depends on if they just pick whatever they feel like for the alternate art or if they do the best cards.

That update also confirmed no card with the shirt, instead everyone who backs gets the card and multiples where applicable.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think i'd prefer the beta be an actual beta and we get all of our goodies once the game is released or at least open to the public. That would avoid the possibility of the year of drafts being all set 1 and I think it would be overall better for the economy of the game.

Considering it could be 9+ months from beta to release, there's probably going to be a ton of people wishing they would have chipped in for the KS. I wish there was an easier way to obtain several beta slots for friends and whatnot who are too lazy to go to KS and make an account and pledge.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

They went over some of the guild features in one of the articles:

quote:

We’ll be able to create a guild and share a pool of cards and deck in our Guild Bank just like we do now in real life!

We’ll each buy or earn our fair share of boosters to get our drafts on like usual, playing together and even getting to compete with other players from around the world. The cards we collect after these drafts will be pooled together to let us build decks just like we always do. The Guild Banks will have our regular gauntlet of test decks and new brews of secret decks, without having to worry about scrambling to get all the cards. As members, we’ll be able to check these decks out even if we don’t have the cards in our personal collections to play against other Guild members.

I interpreted it as any card sharing will be for in guild only things. When you think about it that makes the most sense... I mean if each guild only needed one set of cards that would have a pretty huge negative effect on the economy for single cards.

I still think this is a pretty awesome feature as our guild will more than likely always have a full set to experiment with for people who aren't drafting or buying a ton of packs.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea that definitely makes the most sense and how I was interpreting it.

This card is blowing my mind :psyduck:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Crypto made some comments on the KS page and said they weren't going to increase the PP or GK tiers so hopefully everyone here already had the tier you wanted. If not the last day or so would probably be best to keep an eye out as i'm sure there are a ton of people who over pledged judging from their forums.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

X_ThePerfect posted:

Do we know if the hex equivalent of tix are tradeable between players? Or is it just the PvE earned currency that is tradeable?

It would be hilarious if this is why they were claiming the Dungeon Crawler tier was probably the best, because gold is the only tradeable currency!

If platinum isn't tradeable then there's really no reason for it to exist as a currency other than a convenience for not having to charge $1 dollar every time someone wants to draft or get in a tournament.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Rhaegar posted:

It seems to me that the 1.8m stretch goal is really going to be a stretch based on how much it's going up daily.

I think we'll get to 1.8, but honestly I think they should probably show what the other goals are to potentially increase pledges. ( Assuming they actually know what the other stretch goals are. )

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I don't particularly like that female coyotle art, but i'm definitely not going to let something like that stop me from playing the game. I think the rest of the coyotle stuff looks pretty fantastic.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea they said the drafts are use it or lose it.

The pro player type tiers definitely stack, but none of the 1 year free drafts stack if you already have a tier that gives you free drafts for a year or life. So if you are going DC and Collector for example it's best to keep those accounts separate.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

the Gaffe posted:

So is anyone planning on checking out Scrolls? Doesn't seem to be too much excitement for it, don't even know what thread to ask about it in. Came out in beta today, for 20$ which is a few bucks too high in my opinion. I'm checking it out either way since I can play it on a mac, and this macbook is all I have while visiting my parents for another week.

I'm sure despite its quality though, it will falter to Hex in a (hopefully) few months.

I bought it, basically to hopefully hold me over until Hex alpha/beta. I'm just about through the easy trials and the game is pretty fun. They already have my money, but I was kind of rubbed the wrong way with the pricing. They said it was going to be $20 and they charged $20.95 and unless you want to blow your entire load of gold after the trials you'll probably have to spend another $10 dollars if you want the other starter decks. You don't have to do that obviously because you earn gold playing matches against the AI or other players, but it's set up in a way that you'll probably want to put at least another $10 in.

That Marvel diablolike game goes free to play tomorrow as well.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

And it's over. Unfortunately, I didn't see any answer my question about customizing our custom champion's appearance. If I gotta look at some jerkwad on the corner of my screen in every match, I'd like it to be MY custom jerkwad.

I don't think there's going to be any customization of champions as far as physical appearance.

Taken from the website:

quote:

Your champion’s art changes as well as you go from level 1 to 50.

So I think your portrait is the only thing that changes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh, that's nice. Apparently the booster RNG is going to be tuned towards making compelling drafts, mimicking hoppers in paper TCGs.

e: goddammit

Can someone dumb this down for me? Does this imply that cards in boosters are actually not going to be randomly generated? How would you tune a pack of cards for a draft if you pass the pack after each card pick? My brain :psyduck:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

Basically, there is no cost effective way to truly randomize a printed booster pack, so the printers have a bunch of mixed up printsheets that they print to give the illusion of a random distribution. There is a pattern, but it's very complex and it won't be obvious a pattern exists unless you open hundreds of packs. The set designers use this to their advantage for limited and lay the sheets out so that the common/uncommon sheets will have a good mix of cards for drafting purposes, and ensures no packs exist that contain nothing but unusable crap. This is what they mean when they refer to the packs being "tuned for drafting".

In a related case, there is an entire community that engages in something called box mapping, which attempts to predict what rares you will open up in a given box. Basically, you open 3 or 4 "key packs" and their position in the box can inform you which packs have what rare in that box. People use this to their advantage by cherry-picking the packs with money rares, and selling off the crap rares individually, still sealed in their boosters. Due to the risk of unscrupulous stores engaging in this practice, you should always purchase packs sealed in Booster Boxes when possible.

Oooh I get it now. When I was a kid and collected baseball cards the same kinds of things were talked about. Like "x rare baseball card usually shows up 4 packs deep on the top right of a new box" kind of thing. So even though this is digital they think it's best to have a formula/pattern used to determine cards in boosters rather than being actually random.

I guess that's alright, my first thought is it seems weird to adapt a system created due to the limitations of trying to make things appear to be random when they technically aren't...but i've never made a TCG and people seem to think it helps in drafts so ok.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

That's really an issue of most TCG's and not just Hex having awesome kickstarter rewards. I could buy a starter deck on MTGO and i'm not going to be competitive against people who spend hundreds of dollars on boosters.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm really interested to see how they balance PVE. I've been playing scrolls and I was doing the "trials" which are different scenarios against the AI. For the hard trials, they basically just came up with near impossible scenarios like your opponent starts out with 7 goblins that will kill you in turn two for example. Which turns out isn't really fun when you have to restart 30-40 times just to get the right hand to have a very slim chance at beating the trial.

The PVE cards in Hex seem pretty crazy so i'm curious to see how they keep it challenging without it feeling like you are getting kicked in the nuts over and over again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Hey, so I know a lot of people on here got in at GK and I know there's going to be at least one goon guild. What I'm wondering is whether or not you all plan to give the extra boosters to yourselves, or if I could snag some.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I was factoring those extra 90 packs into my "investment" so if I don't use them for myself I was probably going to try to sell the codes on SA mart or something.

I'm expecting the set one boosters to probably end up being less than a dollar each on their auction house, wouldn't surprise me if they get as low as 5 packs for 3 plat.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I doubt they are going to reset cards when they put so much into them keeping track of just about everything they do. It would be more complicated doing buy/sell orders when there could be several different variations of the same card compared to just listing the card and letting the buyer inspect it to see if it's clean, foil, won some tournament, unlocked the extended art or whatever they are looking for.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If I had 8 pack raptors and they all turned foil because I got to some experience threshold on the ones I was using seems kind of weird. So then you could never sell a foil card? I understand completely that a lot of people aren't going to care about what's on the back of the card but I really like that each card is unique and has it's own experience. You can tell they put a lot of work into the "doubleback" and I don't see them throwing that away just to have one kind of auction house over another.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Why on earth would you make exp account based? Letting people sell their foils just gives people more ways to generate profit through play without actually impacting the raw supply of cards. I like the idea that someone else can grind out full-art or foil cards and I can just buy those if I want to pimp.

I agree, and I think that some of the things on the doubleback are going to add value for some people. You know there are going to be people who want a set of every card that's never been played and I would assume those would be more valuable than a used card if they do things like discontinuing the sale of boosters from old sets.

Jonny Angel posted:

Question about equipment: does each piece of equipment only affect 1 card? Or are there gonna be some that say "This bonus to card X, that bonus to card Y"?

From the website:

quote:

Every piece of equipment in the game is associated with a card. Each card has two or three pieces of equipment.

So yea, i interpret that as equipment is card specific. They said there are legendary sets or whatever that if you wear all the equipment it might affect more than one card. ( I assume it probably gives you an ability or something, but who knows. )

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea...this Hex thread is the first time I ever ventured into the Traditional Games section so there's bound to be more like me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

To be honest I think Games is a better fit even now. Literally every other thread on the first page of the forum is about physical games, and Hex is a video game.

e: The TG rules even say "This is the forum for all games not played on a computer."

Yea Scrolls and DOTP are both in Games. If we ever want to have multiple threads kind of like how Magic is this might be a better spot though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Man, something I really hadn't thought about before, but it just struck me that a major factor in being able to win a draft is knowing the set you're drafting inside and out so you can sort of bet on certain types of cards being in packs at various rarities. I think I'm going to stink at drafting just because I am really bad at memorizing 300 cards including their rarities.

This was literally me when I tried MTGO online. I knew how to play magic from like 15 years ago, but trying to draft when you don't know the current cards or current deck trends is pretty frustrating. That's also kind of why i'm excited about Hex though because we all start on the same foot. I'll probably still prefer constructed though just because I love making decks and testing them out.

Speaking of legendaries, what's the general consensus on how many to include when you are playing with a 60 card deck? Or does it really just depend on the card? I always used 4 if it was something important to the deck and I know that rule that they cancel each other out if there are 2 on the board, but some previous comments imply that might not be standard practice to include 4.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

Traditional Games › Hex: Shards of Fate - Wanted to punch that Hitler so bad

So, is Crypto only going to post an update once a week or so? I mean, I don't expect them to have a guy writing an article everyday but since they've taken my money it'd be nice to know what's going on.

Do you have your kickstarter updates turned off? The KS ended on the 7th and they sent out an update Friday and said they plan on updating weekly.

This is the most updated kickstarter i've ever been apart of. I backed Wasteland 2 and I keep forgetting I backed it except when I get an update once every few months.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Set one is going to be a race to the bottom in value. I'm expecting set one packs to end up being less than $1 so the max value for a primal pack would be $15. ( Assuming that Legendary cards don't have a higher drop rate in primals compared to 15 packs, but then you also have to consider the value of the 135 commons and uncommons from buying 15 packs rather than a primal. )

The other weird thing with the economy is as long as the beta is behind a paywall nothing but the best stuff might move on the AH because with the average pledge being around $130 dollars that means the average player has 150+ boosters. So the pre-release economy will be very different from when it's open to everyone for free... which is kind of why i'm hoping for an actual beta and then we get all of our goodies at the actual release.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Grim posted:

Well there are plenty of goon GKs (I think?) so if we need to stage a coup at least everyone will keep the sweet 10% extra xp boost

Also lots of the terrible people on the official forum keep complaining about missing out on the Kickstarter and about how bad the Slacker Backer is value-wise compared to what they could have gotten - I wonder how long the closed beta will run for, but also more importantly I wonder if it will be possible to have some kind of guild-wide ignore list for whining shits

Sounds like the pro-tier complaints all over again. The KS rewards were very generous and a great value and I don't want to be all "gently caress you got mine" because i'm sure a lot of people didn't even know Kickstarter or Hex existed, but they are in the business to make money and it's already a hell of a better value than MTGO.

I can't see too many reasons for any guild splits in this type of game, except maybe general bickering. With the raid size being 3 people and no timers/lockouts you aren't going to have situations where people are getting left out.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Vincent Valentine posted:

Oh boy, this is my favorite game. Let's play!

• A goon says he likes his steak well done and with ketchup on top instead of on the side.
  • Someone talks about the Game of Thrones books that aren't part of the TV show yet.

People lose their loving minds over the steak one. Lost five people over it.

That's it i'm out before this even gets started. There's only one way to eat a steak and it includes nothing mentioned in that sentence and spoiling Game of Thrones is a dick move :colbert:.

But seriously, even though this game is considering itself an MMO I don't think it will have the same drama/issues.

The last guild drama I saw was in SWTOR, the guild leader would flip out if you weren't participating in discussion on the guild website. He was also incredibly angry that there were people in the guild who were leveling faster than him and was insisting there would be no end game raiding until he was max level and organized "the official" guild raid and people who were currently already raiding should probably stop or leave the guild. A ton of people were talking about splintering, but fortunately I quit that game rather fast so I never saw it unfold.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Neraren posted:

Have they explicitly confirmed or denied having a 'Stamina bar' sort of mechanic to limit how much PvE content a player can do at once?

I don't have the source, i think it was the last twitch broadcast, but yea they said there will be no energy system or anything like facebook games.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

nerox posted:

I don't understand how the swiss system payout works.

8 people = 8 entry fees = 4 packs

Just the initial pairing of all the people would produce 4 victories, which would be the entire prize pool wouldn't it?

This is ignoring the 24 packs needed to play. It's essentially $56 dollars to fund a full draft and it pays out 12 packs. Either way you phrase it, all variations pay out 12 packs and all variations take in $56.

With the millions of set 1 boosters that will be in the hands of players Crypto probably wont sell hardly any boosters directly because it will be cheaper to just buy plat and buy boosters on the auction house. So even in a scenario where set 1 boosters are .70 cents it costs almost $25 dollars, $8 for entry fee and $16.80 for 24 packs, and they are paying out 12 packs worth around $8.40.

TLDR: They make money regardless.

I've heard people bring up "going infinite" a few times, wouldn't you consistently have to place in the top 2 for that to be feasible? If you are good enough that you are winning most of your drafts I don't see why it's an issue.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Korak posted:

There is no such thing as going infinite* in these types of games. There's been a lot of people hoodwinked in to playing MTGO that didn't realize they ended up spending more than they won.

*Some very top players can go infinite. The odds of you being in that top 1-10% is low.

Yea this is kind of what I was assuming. I'm sure it's possible, but I think the way the payouts are created it keeps it highly unlikely unless you are incredibly skilled and lucky. Even if you are in the top 5% or whatever you still have 95% of the users who are still funding the machine.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'll sell every single one of my 400+ boosters from Kickstarter as long as they are going for the amount I've determined is worth selling them for and there are plenty of people who are going to do the same. Either I'm right that the market will be flooded and packs will be worth less what I plan on selling mine for or i'm wrong and there are so many users that I make back the entire amount I pledged selling boosters while having a ton of KS only rewards.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

UberJew posted:

Others including myself :haw:

But yes, if there's no allowance for real-money trade then you can't really say that Hex cards have 'real value' unlike goods in other mmos.

I certainly wasn't planning on anything of the sort when I kickstarted it, I just hope nobody else was either.

That's kind of a weird way to put it, anytime you spend money on something it technically has value...especially when you are converting money to platinum or any kind of in game currency. If a card is worth 5 platinum then it's also worth the amount of dollars it takes to purchase that amount of platinum therefore it has real value.

Just like MTGO and just about every MMO, grey markets are going to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I really don't get peoples obsession with Steam. I use it, it's great for sales and whatnot and I understand releasing on steam opens you up to a wider audience. Then there are the people who will literally not buy pc games unless they are on steam or have a steam code :psyduck:.

If it makes sense for them financially to go on Steam then that's great, but this isn't a standalone game where Steam gets a cut once. If the game takes off it will have millions of transactions over the years and that's a lot of profit to give away.

• Locked thread