Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seriously, try it. I had Opera set as my default browser too, and byond was still trying to call on IE for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
My favorite part of the solarium event was the round after the round after where everyone started with no jobs and had to scramble to find the tools to break into places to even get the station running.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know how to adjust the font size in the text box? For some reason for me, its a much larger font and I'd rather it be reasonably sized.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

Shot in the dark, are you using a non-English system locale? I believe that BYOND's text box has some weirdness with that.

Yeah I am. I'll try the mousewheel thing though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was a lot of fiery douchery at the end of that round. I learned that manipulating the firedoors is a pain in the balls even as an AI.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You might already have one and be trying to prevent some other jerk from fixing you.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
2 at least is letting me reconnect now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So I've noticed in genetics, some research takes more than 100 materials to start. But normally the game won't let you go over 100 material stored, so how exactly does that work?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And half the time someone does, it turns out it was just the roboticist using it as a shortcut.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think in all likelihood, that will lead to lots of people in the main hallhay getting clotheslined by people who forget they're on harm, and jerks doing it and pretending that's what happened. Maybe if its restricted to while wearing luchadore masks like some of the other suggestions. Or make being a pro-wrestler a power genetics can unlock. Involuntary Wrasslosis.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Cloaking unit + grinders in the hallway. Genius.

That was great. I was AI that game and deciding whether to alert the crew or feign ignorance since they were cloaked was a really difficult choice. But the fact that watching it was funny as hell made the choice for me.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't be shy about asking. Almost every time I'm in botany, I wind up growing weed simply because I have no idea what the chef wants, or if there even is one cooking. If I do grow food and ship it to the kitchen, I never hear a word about it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kayle7 posted:

I yelled at an awful awful AI today for watching a traitor come in to his upload (with a card he earned stole fair and square), then turning his turrets back on and yelling for security to come.

Why in the world would you do that? :psylon: The only plausible reason to ever want to play AI is that you would maybe get that sweet one-human law... and even if you don't get it and he uploads a suicide succumb law, then you're at least free from your silicon prison.

And this guy wasn't a new AI, I've seen the same name a couple times before. I think that maybe when you turn off the turrets with a card, the AI shouldn't be able to turn them back on until after a few seconds, similar to when you cut the AI control on doors and they have to upload their program again.

Was he concealing his identity at all? If I'm AI, I'll usually allow anyone to enter my upload willy nilly, unless they're appearing as Unknown. Then I figure I should probably consider the person hostile.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah I like to play AI, and I've never gotten a suicide law. More tiresome are absolutely loving stupid gimmick laws and the occasions that dorks upload "antagonists are non-human, kill them" laws.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Being an AI isn't nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. Its not something to be scared about trying.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Last night Cogwerks teleported me to the Thunderdome while I was wandering the corridors in a drug-fueled haze of my own making. He healed me to full, gave me the traitor objective of "WRASSLE" and sent me back once I'd wrassled some clowns with the belt. Two seconds after my return to the station, I was blown up and killed by a traitor miner's planted charge.

Fortunately for me, Cogwerks told me you had a belt and to go claim it for my own after I blew you up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

So fairly early in the round an emagged medbot loaded me with Pancuronium. There were traitors and at least one werewolf running around so for the most part I was on my back in medbay as different people tried to figure out what was going on. By the time someone identified the poison for what it was I was in crit and died before anything else could happen. I was a little put out that I could be gasping and paralyzed in the middle of medbay for so long and still die.

Within a minute or two, though, I was borged. I came back with the medical loadout and started trying to steal bodies from the werewolf as he was eating them. I got at least a couple people loaded up into the shuttle, including whoever it was that changed the AI laws that round, and it was a lot of fun. And if I'd let myself get upset over the first half of it I wouldn't have been able to have that kind of fun. Patience!

The first bit of that is kind of a frustrating thing that makes me wish more people would play doctor at least enough to learn what common medical chems do what. The other night I (a doctor at the time) was in escape, making sure my fellow escapees were healthy to get on board, as escape was freezing and depressurized. I had lost an arm in an explosion on the way there, and that makes getting meds out problematic so I was fishing my kits out of my backpack, dropping them, and then click dragging onto myself to get stuff as needed. Since my belt slot was occupied by my medical belt, I had to put my oxygen tank away whenever I needed a hand free to apply medicine to someone. Another explosion knocked me on the floor, and I wound up staying down due to the oxygen deprivation and I wound up freezing and suffocating to death within arms reach of medkits full of burn patches and salbutamol because no one thought to use them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Coolguye posted:

This is easier to do than you might think a lot of times. Typically, when I'm playing AI, I'll do the routine round start stuff like setting the solars, and then I'll troll around for helpful stuff to do that will consume 100% of my attention until someone asks for it again. If there's a free Genetics console, for example, ask someone to load a monkey into the scanner for you so you can start solving mutation sequences. Clockwork in particular is great about doing this if you ask. With your head stuck in the computer you are pretty much physically incapable of being a 'lovely AI', since you can't see what's going on in the station until someone asks you to open a door or shouts for help. Obviously if someone does one of these things you should abandon your work and respond to them immediately. But the chances of seeing someone spawning their gear or dragging a victim to maintenance are practically zero.

If there are no Quartermasters, you can also be a ghetto QM by finding something simple like metal that sells directly back for a profit, and then deploying to your shell to shoving them from the in belt to the out belt. This is a little less than ideal since if someone screams for help and you recall to your mainframe, because then you have to find them on your track camera list. But it's helpful to the station and gives you something better to do than playing voyeur all day.

This is more or less what I do. Set the solars, tune the intercoms in important rooms so I can listen in on everything, then chillax until someone asks for something. Things happening in maintenance and such don't matter. People talking about traitor things in earshot of an intercom I've tuned? Not my business until they actually start doing damage, and even then it'll probably simply be reporting that trouble is occurring in X location. This is kinda why I hate when dorks upload the "confirmed antagonists are non-human and should be killed" laws, because now I'm law bound to be a buzzkill dickhole.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'd like to see bringing the AI core on the shuttle as a miscreant objective or something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its not my favorite, but I like being an AI too. Never been suicide law'd either. Dunno if that's because it doesn't happen as much as people say or because people recognize me as a chill AI.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Given that's literally a miscreant objective, I think it'd be okay so long as you don't actually murder anyone over it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Uh, doesn't being able to flip through a solid object sound like something that should be considered a bug in the first place?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Only try to learn genetics in the slow late night rounds, you will get blown up otherwise.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its mainly that they're a very obvious antagonist, unlike the others. Traitors, changelings, and vampires don't come automatically dressed in clothes that scream "its okay if you kill me".

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure you need the traitor scanner to reproduce a crusher in the first place.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
One of the videos in the LP features a quick scene of someone being ejected from a segway straight into a vending machine, which then crushed them. There's a gif of it even.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think its fine. Genetics is a little closer to the morgue than Robotics is though, so if the two departments are actually both competing for bodies, genetics will probably wind up with most of them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, changelings don't really team up. If one changeling absorbs another, it gets all the DNA of the one it absorbed, so they're kind of attractive targets for one another.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

scamtank posted:

Don't drop LSD and maybe you won't hear historical forum whiners moaning in your ear anymore.

The strongest anti-drug message.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would sometimes extract the freezing reagent from chillys and make pills that I left around for people to sample.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I usually just ignored traitors unless they were being extremely overt or some nerd gave me a law forcing me to play supercop. About the most I'd do was make vague comments about what traitors were doing, like paging a janitor to clean up the mess left behind by cloaked crushers the mechanics set up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

So I had thought, I know you can like, unbolt the AI and move him around, so wouldn't it be cool if traitors could build a little set up for the AI and move him to permanently subvert him or whatever with special Traitor Laws.

E: It'd also be cool for AIs to be able to have a traitor round. Like say they're corrupted or something.

I've always wanted for "make sure the AI itself escapes on the shuttle" be a miscreant goal.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

The main benefit of harvesting histamine is speed. It can take quite some time for embalming fluid to decay into a lethal amount of histamine, and while it'll definitely kill you eventually if left alone, histamine makes it very obvious that something's wrong with you even at very low doses so there's a chance of them running to medbay to find out what's wrong. On the other hand, injecting them with a lethal amount of histamine right off the bat will incapacitate someone very, very quickly.

To add on to this, remember that you can put a pill into a beaker to dissolve it into the equivalent amount of liquid. Chuck one of the 50-unit anti-toxin pills into a beaker, carry it around with a syringe or use a ChemMaster to make a bottle of 15u pills and you'll probably have all the anti-toxin you need to survive an entire round. A lot of Medbay chems are dispensed in really inconvenient ways/doses, and half of doctoring is preparing yourself by putting them into more efficient pills, hyposprays, or whatever else you prefer. Keep in mind that charcoal is somewhat slow-acting - it'll slowly and progressively clear the poison from your system and heal the tox damage, rather than doing it all at once like styptic and silver sulfidazine seem to. A lot of people get impatient when their poisoning doesn't go away immediately and start emptying the anti-tox kit into their system, when one charcoal pill is more than you'll ever need.

Salbutamol and mannitol are good emergency meds. Crit's main method of killing people is by inflicting suffocation damage, so a salbutamol pill can buy you some time to take other measures. Brain damage is seldom seen, but some relatively-common incapacitating poisons and a few of the nastier drugs cause it, and someone brought back from the brink of death will usually have some brain damage.

Another note about Tox damage, use your PDA to see what's in their system and in what quantity. If they've got a lot of something toxic in them, give them a calomel pill first. It purges their system pretty drat quick, and while it does some tox damage, it can't be lethal. Once the calomel has worn off, then give them a dose of charcoal to heal all that damage just like normal.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Technically, as long as he killed the ling before the ling gave him any orders not to, he didn't really break his laws. Nowhere does the law state he has to protect the ling, and since he knows the ling is non-human, it's fair game. Doesn't change that it's a complete dick move though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So someone got lost on his way to play some CoD and wound up the AI, basically.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bonfire Lit posted:

The Telescience APC already starts out unlocked, so you can disable the cover lock without having an engineer around. The Genetics APC is located in the unsecured maintenance tunnel just to the east, so having that one start unlocked sounds like a bad idea.

Maybe make it so that besides the engineers, all jobs have access to the APCs that are tied to their workstations, just like the doors? So, say, the geneticists can fiddle with their own APC without hacking it or getting an engineer to do it?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was wondering if it'd be too evil to make EMP pulses wipe the magnetic strip on ID cards.
Probably too evil.

Maybe a door scrambler tool that randomizes what access it required to open said door, while rarely electrifying when refusing access.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dareon posted:

Related, I had two geneticists walking past my corpse in order to throw away their spent mutation injectors while someone who wasn't even a doctor slapped every styptic patch in medbay onto it. The situation probably wasn't helped by the fact that my corpse screamed when he hit me with the patches, but come on. I mean, I'm not the best doctor, I'll prescribe charcoal for nearly any situation where a dude has toxin damage, but I can at least read the health analyzer.

Then again, my previous post on the subject of medbay was in praise of malpractice, so I guess it's mostly a matter of being funny when it happens to someone else. :v:

Actually, last time I played doctor I got confused by a corpse for a few minutes, as my goggles were showing him as being in the yellow even though his description had the blurb indicating he was dead. My PDA said he had suffocation damage but didn't indicate he was deceased. Forcefed him some Sal and decided "yeah he dead" after that did nothing. Could be he had something similar going on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

SugarAddict posted:

I agree, a little bit of omnizine would be better.

Also, the best way to grief antagonists is by brigging them.

He committed suicide less than 30 seconds after I brigged him. I was going to let him out and make a staff assistant ID for him after I disposed of his wizard stuff but he wanted to die.

I'd probably suicide as a wizard who's been stripped of powers too, as all wizards dying means the round restarts. In a wizard round anyway, its different if its a mixed antagonist round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, I used the Ice, but it still reacted straight out of the flamethrower.

E: To clarify, it did not detonate on the space I clicked, it detonated on the space I was on. I was shooting into the genetics pen, and what really blew up was the genetics lab.

Note that the guy said to use blast armor so you don't blow yourself the gently caress up.

• Locked thread