Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

dogstile posted:

I have no idea how you're meant to deal with an invisible attacker.

Stop giving me flashbacks to the round where I joined late and the station was empty save for an invisible traitor janitor meatcubing everything that moved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

If dismemberment works out I may just have to start playing as Rocky Balboa, Professional Boxer Surgeon again.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't played in over a year. All I really remember is George Melons kicking my rear end in seconds.

Today I got to be a botanist. I made some chilly peppers and the other awesome botanist made rainbow fruits.

I ate some slices and spent the rest of the match hallucinating that monkeys were kicking my rear end.

loving George Melons.

(I had a great time)

You have attained peak Botanist. Enjoy all the other rounds also being weed-filled candyland adventures in space while the world burns around you.

Botanist is the best job.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Elth posted:

The energy gun is in the locker. There are 39 other captains in the room who also want it. Good luck!

FORTY MEN ENTER

ONE ADMIN LEAVES

E: Alternately:

TESTING FOR CAPTAIN ROBUSTNESS: INCONCLUSIVE

LARGER SAMPLE SIZE NECESSARY

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

BlueDestiny posted:

Also, the robotics computer that can killswitch a borg is inside the AI's area. Make use of it if borgs are being shitheads.

Or just ask one of the non-shithead borgs to kill the other borg. I've been asked to "dispose of" borgs before, as a borg, if they were acting up.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

dogstile posted:

I'm starting to find that people aren't after you straight away as long as you do your shady poo poo right in the open. Walking around with a saber? That's fine, so long as you aren't in the tunnels and explain that you "got it off a traitor".

I get real tired of seeing guys walking around with things like bowling shirts and c-sabers and even power sinks right in the open and no one paying them any mind, even when they start using said bowling gear and c-sabers and power sinks.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dauntasa posted:

The HoS and Detective both have thermal goggles and if they do a couple of quick sweeps of the station then 9 times out of 10, they will spot a traitor doing something incriminating, and with the element of surprise it's trivially easy for them to shoot the traitor in the back and either execute or permabrig them.

Most don't do that, though, because that's boring as hell and defeats the purpose of having traitors at all. If you treat SS13 as a black and white "crew vs. bad guys" thing it's just not a particularly good game. See: Trouble in Terrorist Town, a game that is essentially that and is not particularly good.

While I agree, I do think "letting people have some slack early in the round" is different from what I normally see, which is "ignoring people massacring everyone 30 minutes into the round." It's a problem.

E: forgot to quote

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Doctor Doodler posted:

Hands, the hands of hate. I like it. It's redundant, like the crew.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Space Station 13: It's redundant, like the crew.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

The chance to derail should increase when more people are on it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Empty the tram, put the nuke disc on a car, turn it on to full speed, hop off, and let anyone dumb enough to go for the disc get run over.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Geokinesis posted:

When emagged it should disable the brakes so it turns into a super fast deathtrap that catapults the rider out/crashes into a wall.

It should also make the tram slowly get faster and faster until it becomes the aforementioned deathtrap.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

ChickenHeart posted:

Combine that with a bomb and somehow recreate 1994's Speed.

A traitor "speedometer" item that, when combined with a bomb, lets you attach that bomb to the tram and prevent it from going below a certain speed. I like.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

It also sounds like you were lagging a bit, that may have factored into it.

fake edit: By "lagging a bit" I mean "somehow lagging even more than BYOND normally lags"

real edit: I cannot spell words

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How about some security-locked player-controlled external turrets to deal with traitor/syndie pod attacks? With weapon power derived directly from whatever's in the power grid.

If there's more than 5 MW in the power grid at the time it fires a Death Star superlaser that obliterates everything around it and sets the person controlling it on fire.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Ciaphas posted:

What if Daeren's doing his loving space vodun rituals and it gets up to a yottawatt again?

The turrets become sentient and draw in the nearest person to them, making them a part of the turret and forcing them to man the turret for all eternity.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Just Offscreen posted:

I always thought a good way to make people hold onto their PDAs would be to just...combine them with the ID cards. Make an ID PDA or somesuch.

I actually came here to post this. :hfive: PDAs do need extra function, and merging the ID card and PDA would probably still work pretty well. Plus, you could add a traitor item to let you steal someone's ID through the PDA in a similar function to the PDA bomb.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Donnerberg posted:

Cue some well meaning science teacher forcing his entire class to join the server Second Life style and gather in chemistry. Yeah, that would end well.

I would kidnap the students one by one and steal their butts, then flood Chemistry with buttbots. In other words, that would end very well. :getin:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Captain Bravo posted:

We should add in a type of "Bro" chemical with Bromine as a key ingredient, which gives you a speech impediment and Type D-owns syndrome.

James McPubbie swallows the Bro Pill
James McPubbie pops his collar!
James McPubbie says "Give me a break, brah. Do you even loving lift?"
A pair of sunglasses appears on James McPubbie!

Edit: Also, Bromines have found some use as anti-epiletics, so maybe a pill to help people who have been hosed over by genetics? Would a chemical that helps prevent seizures be too niche to be worth it?

I thought regular Owns syndrome was the sunglasses one and Type-D Owns was the :downs: one.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Angry Diplomat posted:

Actually, gently caress arresting people, now I want to play Sec, wear a blue jumpsuit and hat, ditch my helmet/cuffs/baton, have my ID changed to Bylaw Officer, and just go around doing literally nothing but handing out tickets.

There needs to be a Bylaw Officer job now, with reduced numbers of Sec but more Bylaw Officers instead. Let Sec handle things like murderers, and bylaw officers handle ticketing said murderers for littering.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I would like it if there was less incentive to steal traitor items as soon as you could when you're not a traitor, like making traitor items less effective when used by non-traitors or something.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RabidGolfCart posted:

If entered any other time it will just deposit the pod on a random planet somewhere or deep space.

Even better: Their screen goes black for 5 minutes, then Centcom sends out a meteor shower warning, but instead of a meteor the pod hits the station, severely injuring the occupant but leaving them mobile enough to crawl out into the wreckage where greyshirts can beat them to death.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Alberto Basalm posted:

The engineer would get an experimental nuclear powered pod, the RD gets a pod with a plant fern and a bee or some poo poo in it and the HoS gets a militaristic red attack pod with a gun on it bigger than the pod itself

The gun requires ammunition but only has one shot, so if you try to fire it again the HoS loads himself into the cannon and fires.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Elth posted:

How would you actually get ribs

There's a thing called a scalpel and/or knife that will probably suffice :v:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Holy poo poo, I just realized how awesome it's gonna be if they use the ad money to make BYOND less laggy. I know that's never going to happen, but still...

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I really want to see a round where everyone starts as a traitor with one objective and a warning that they are the only traitor.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dead at three minutes in from spawning next to a changeling in mining right at the start, and being their first victim. :suicide:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Skunkrocker posted:

I expected soup and noodles. I was disappointed. This is an outrage. Soiling the great name of Discount Dan with... with... happy thanksgiving scarecrows and hay bales!

This photo was taken inbetween Muscle Shoals and Sheffield, Alabama. Not sure which city I'm in since they're literally next to each other.

I live in north Alabama, how have I never seen that before. Now I'm jealous that someone else apparently saw it first.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

VanSandman posted:

Honestly this should be one of the games tag lines.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Space Station 13: In space, with great power comes absolutely no responsibility.

Because everyone's undoubtedly thinking it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We were talking in deadchat today, this is a nifty suggestion, would a particle lab be something fun to implement? Working with things like discovering ways to use neutrinos or discover dark matter would be neat.

I would actually start playing scientist if that gets added.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's an interesting concept. How do you see it operating, and how would it interact with and potentially benefit other departments?

I don't care, I just want to build the Large Hadron Collider in the escape wing. :colbert:

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

What's up with the chat box? It seems like it randomly cuts off the ends of words and mixes them up lik ethis.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Daeren posted:

Admins replace the powersink with a bitcoin mining rig TIA

I think that would actually be a really cool surplus crate item. Works like a powersink, only if you swipe your ID card on it then it starts dumping huge sums of money into your bank account as it works.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Stuntman posted:

And the amount fluctuates a TON every tick.

If you leave it hooked up too long you lose all your money.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've decided to give the game a shot after enjoying the thread's stories for a few weeks, but the goon account authentication site (http://byond.lljk.net/) seems to be broken. Whenever I try to register I keep getting the message 'Could not contact Alluvion', is it a big deal if I pub it up on the goon server?

That's been broken for a while now. It's fine if you're not registered, I never did because even back when I did it it was broken and I've been playing fine. Registering just gets you access to the goonsay channel.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Just started the engine on my own for the first time ever as a borg in a round with no engineers. By the end of the round the captain was lost on Mars and we had one latejoining engineer. I think it's my most successful round yet, considering I survived the whole thing and powered the station right before it completely lost power.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

shovelbum posted:

Is he actually a Head though? He can't auth the nuke or control the buddies or a lot of the other stuff Heads can do because he doesn't have su on the network.

Well... Someone ought to make him a head, then. As a christmas present for the CE, give him su and make a traitor objective to steal his clothes.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

PoptartsNinja posted:

- scramble the Borg laws like they got hit by an Ion Storm or were emagged (so they potentially won't have to suicide too but may rampage or take vengeance, which makes killing the AI less of a no-brainer for people with the 'Kill all Borgs' objective)

I really, really want this now, as someone who plays a lot of Borg.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Seriously why can't we all agree to just put an AI kill switch in upload and see if that solves the problem?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Nakar posted:

But they can't, because they don't actually control whether the AI dies; the AI player does.

And this is where we get back to why there ought to be an AI killswitch or an AI format module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

circ dick soleil posted:

Is the stapler a traitor item? Someone hit me with a staple and I lost a significant amount of blood and passed out :catstare:

Nope! You can find staple guns at various locations around the station, and medbay uses them to reattach limbs. You can also harm-intent someone with a staple gun to put a staple in them and do a small amount of damage and cause bleeding.

• Locked thread