Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

YellerBill posted:

What's up with the chat box? It seems like it randomly cuts off the ends of words and mixes them up lik ethis.

It seems to be an issue with BYOND and input lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

hackbunny posted:

How could you possibly be an unsuccessful vampire? I never once failed to be an unstoppable slasher and go nearly undetected

Anyway, it may be a little campery/griefy, but my advice is to bite on AFKers and late arrivals to build up on blood and get better powers. Use powers sparingly though, a crowbar to the head works wonders to stun victims. Snack on corpses and steal IDs. Stalk maintenance corridors once you're invisible in the darkness

Don't forget to kill in style. Drag your victims to the observatory or the howlery for that extra ambience. Make one of them your secret nest. Leave a pile of exsanguinated cadavers to be found by a horrified assistant

E: and don't be too proud to only go after soft targets and run away at the littlest hint of red uniform or trenchcoat. All true predators are huge cowards

The only issue was, I was the captain, and there was very few people. I DID try to find some braindead people to see if I could get my objectives done without the loss of anyone who was not a traitor target, but there was none.

My real mistake was using my crate of weapons to try and kill genetics instead of using the flash power the vamp has, then beating them in the head with the oxygen tank. There are resistances to thermal, but not to blunt trauma!

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

YellerBill posted:

What's up with the chat box? It seems like it randomly cuts off the ends of words and mixes them up lik ethis.

If you upgrade to one of the BYOND 502 betas (on the launcher, go to the Home tab, then select 'Beta', then update), it fixes it. Or if you type in the WASD box, there doesn't seem to be any of that lag there.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Has anyone ever seen a problem with the generator where it gets to about a billion degrees temp and 2MW and just... stops? I had two rounds on server 1 today where I was getting a hellburn going and the generator just suddenly dropped to 0W in under a second. I checked all the pipes, nothing broke - hot loop was ~2k kPa, and the generator was still reporting pressure incoming and outgoing, but it just wasn't making any power at all. This feels like a bug but I hate to cry bug because it might just be me loving up somewhere.

Edited to add: gently caress.png

WHY does it keep doing this? It got up to over 10MW and then just went POOF to 0.

Urit fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 9, 2013

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

hackbunny posted:

Anyway, it may be a little campery/griefy, but my advice is to bite on AFKers and late arrivals to build up on blood and get better powers.

Doing this is an open invitation for admins (and especially me) to do mean things to you. loving with the arrivals shuttle is lovely and unfun regardless of you being an antagonist.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Reminds me of some of the old school thermo generator setups.

As I recall, they had a tendency to flood the station with fire. :getin:

Not on their own, really. Too much room for the amount of gas. But any admin that was bored would spawn a few dozen plasma and o2 cans right inside next to medbay. There were a lot of bored admins towards the end of that map. This did let you recreate awesome action sequences where all the observation windows exploded and you tried to run back into main engineering before the next atmos/fire tick.

With the guides and everything I finally tried new chemistry, and the hardest part is being accurate when clicking. I managed to throw nearly everything I made on the floor by accident.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Doing this is an open invitation for admins (and especially me) to do mean things to you. loving with the arrivals shuttle is lovely and unfun regardless of you being an antagonist.

Sorry dude if there is an AFK dude on the arrivals shuttle and I'm a vampire/changling I'm going to eat them. It's not an admins problem if someone who is or isn't playing the game gets killed by an antagonist.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
The honking...it's getting closer

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Thanks to my fellow miners for the best mining/scavenging round ever. First time ever I've seen 1) a full complement of miners, 2) working together, 3) sending poo poo back to the main station, 4) without casualties (except the guy who got lost in space). SYNERGIZE!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

hackbunny posted:

Thanks to my fellow miners for the best mining/scavenging round ever. First time ever I've seen 1) a full complement of miners, 2) working together, 3) sending poo poo back to the main station, 4) without casualties (except the guy who got lost in space). SYNERGIZE!

Sounds like some sort of Christmas miracle. I usually end up deeply loathing my fellow miners.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

When I'm being a real dick as a traitor(note: this is like all the time) I like to bolt all the doors to the Arrivals shuttle and then release a Plasma and an Oxygen can into it and start a hellburn so that anyone who joins basically spawns inside the sun.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dauntasa posted:

When I'm being a real dick as a traitor(note: this is like all the time) I like to bolt all the doors to the Arrivals shuttle and then release a Plasma and an Oxygen can into it and start a hellburn so that anyone who joins basically spawns inside the sun.

:smith:

That's pretty mean.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Dauntasa posted:

So you auto-kill anyone who joins late? That's pretty terrible.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

So you auto-kill anyone who joins late? That's pretty terrible.

Yes, it is.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
So when are we changing the name of the currency to Bitcoins, since, you know, it's the FUTURE and all.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Whoops

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Noose Induce posted:

So when are we changing the name of the currency to Bitcoins Buttcoins, since, you know, it's the FUTURE and all.

It's like you don't understand the setting at all

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

It's like you don't understand the setting at all

The Robotics would become the hub of counterfeiting. :butt:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

LunarShadow posted:

The Robotics would become the hub of counterfeiting. :butt:

Rewiring fabricators to mine buttcoins.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Why has this not happened yet.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Who says they aren't already in the game?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Just imagine a traitor knocking someone out and then cuffing them to a chair in a small room with a bitcoin mining rig, where they are doomed to slowly but surely burn to death as the temperature steadily rises. Meanwhile, the massive power drain causes massive brownouts all across the station, and the traitor's wallet grows fatter and fatter.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

As I am wrapping presents, I thought of a new present for the stocking: a membership to the poo of the month club, where you obtain a handheld device that mimics a butt bot saying "pooh!" in various ways. Truly it is the gift that keeps on giving with the new sound system on the station.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Takanago posted:

Just imagine a traitor knocking someone out and then cuffing them to a chair in a small room with a bitcoin mining rig, where they are doomed to slowly but surely burn to death as the temperature steadily rises. Meanwhile, the massive power drain causes massive brownouts all across the station, and the traitor's wallet grows fatter and fatter.

Admins replace the powersink with a bitcoin mining rig TIA

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Daeren posted:

Admins replace the powersink with a bitcoin mining rig TIA

I think that would actually be a really cool surplus crate item. Works like a powersink, only if you swipe your ID card on it then it starts dumping huge sums of money into your bank account as it works.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YellerBill posted:

I think that would actually be a really cool surplus crate item. Works like a powersink, only if you swipe your ID card on it then it starts dumping huge sums of money into your bank account as it works.
And the amount fluctuates a TON every tick.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Stuntman posted:

And the amount fluctuates a TON every tick.

If you leave it hooked up too long you lose all your money.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That would also be a fun alternative way to complete the "steal x amount of credits" objectives, if those are still a thing.

Agat 9
Apr 24, 2008
Buttcoins have been in game for months.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Urit posted:

Has anyone ever seen a problem with the generator where it gets to about a billion degrees temp and 2MW and just... stops? I had two rounds on server 1 today where I was getting a hellburn going and the generator just suddenly dropped to 0W in under a second. I checked all the pipes, nothing broke - hot loop was ~2k kPa, and the generator was still reporting pressure incoming and outgoing, but it just wasn't making any power at all. This feels like a bug but I hate to cry bug because it might just be me loving up somewhere.

It has happened to me a few times. I'm not sure what causes it, but my guess is the server is getting weirded out about the loop gas for some reason and just sort of stops. I've had luck kicking it back into gear by venting from the south side (the new one that goes towards escape), but eventually it sort of winds down and gets back to 0 kw.

Thankfully that only seems to have after a bit of time, so I can usually get some charge into the SMES and then stop by to purge a bit when it hits 0 again.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Robotic limbs are fixed, I'm so happy :)

Didn't get to try treads yet, but I will. Arms work as intended!

edit: Aww, treads don't. But robot legs do! :unsmith:. I wonder if they still give you the fun speedboost that treads do? Didn't get to see.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 9, 2013

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Synnr posted:

It has happened to me a few times. I'm not sure what causes it, but my guess is the server is getting weirded out about the loop gas for some reason and just sort of stops. I've had luck kicking it back into gear by venting from the south side (the new one that goes towards escape), but eventually it sort of winds down and gets back to 0 kw.

Thankfully that only seems to have after a bit of time, so I can usually get some charge into the SMES and then stop by to purge a bit when it hits 0 again.

Huh, interesting that venting from the COLD side of the loop does that. I actually barely ever use that vent because the gas pressure is ~7000 coming out of the combustion chamber and drops to ~3.0 once it hits the generator, and there's no pumps on that loop so it's hard to actually get the cold plasma out. I wonder if it would be faster to shut the cold loop off and just let the cold side of the engine heat up to help force the plasma out the cold-side vent.

The other weird thing is I've ONLY seen it happen on LLJK 1, not LLJK 2.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Urit posted:

Huh, interesting that venting from the COLD side of the loop does that. I actually barely ever use that vent because the gas pressure is ~7000 coming out of the combustion chamber and drops to ~3.0 once it hits the generator, and there's no pumps on that loop so it's hard to actually get the cold plasma out. I wonder if it would be faster to shut the cold loop off and just let the cold side of the engine heat up to help force the plasma out the cold-side vent.

The other weird thing is I've ONLY seen it happen on LLJK 1, not LLJK 2.

Yeah, my working theory is either the one-way valve isn't really moving the gas very much, or the gas just keeps the pumps to move properly. So, venting the pipe lets the area expand, some gas 'moves' through the generator now that it has somewhere to go and voila! the energy starts again.

But really I have no idea how the back-end works so who knows!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Cloaking unit + grinders in the hallway. Genius.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's a classic move. My only question is how a traitor mechanic has the time to set the grinders up without someone stumbling on him and jigging up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My favourite one of those was the evil bastard setting up an invisible grinder field when the station was trying to have a segway race.

Commoners posted:

SS13 has segways for the security, the nice thing about the segways is that when you hit someone you end up flying up over the handlebars and are down, and so are they. The security can work together to corner criminal scum with segways and bring them into the station by using this (but it's really terrible).

Someone decided to reskin the segway as a cat, so that you could have riding cats. One round devolved into a competition of the cat riding vikings all vying for the title of viking king by showing their prowess in the riding cat battle of the century.

I had just gotten traitor as an electrician that round, and sadly sometimes when you get traitor on a gimmick round like that your turn as the rear end in a top hat gets ruined because people are randomly exploding or all have superpowers, etc. I was lucky in that it was a fairly tame round with dudes just riding around with power axes, beards, viking helmets, and meowing segways that made them rocket around at a high speed.

So the electrician in a normal round can scan items in the station like vending machines, computers, thermal goggles, tasers, and other things like that to copy them and make blueprints to replicate them in his shop. Some things like the CRUSHER in disposal is off limits because people like me originally made copies of the crusher and would crusher people in hallways while we weren't traitors. Of course, traitor electricians CAN buy a scanner that is able to scan the crusher, so as soon as I heard that a race was going down I quickly made arrangements.

While the space cat vikings were busy constructing their obstacle course, welding some doors shut and bolting others to create their race course, and adding in various hazards like lasers and electrical death walls, I was busy making 3 crushers. Just in the nick of time I was able to finish the three of them and set them down in the middle of the course.

Now right now you're going, "But Commoners, couldn't they just stop and not run into the crushers?" Well sometimes SS13 is hard to control, but this time I outwitted those smart players with proper robusting skills. I took a prototype cloaking generator, which traitors usually just use to hide stuff in rooms. Instead I used this generator to cloak my three crushers and all the gore that they would create when someone would ride a cat into them.

About five minutes later the viking race started with about 30 people participating, and another five off doing their own thing. Twenty seven of the thirty cat riding vikings drove directly into the crusher wall. All 27 of them looked like they had skipped time and space, going into nothingness and suddenly vanishing. They were a pile of gibs so large that if you right clicked the squares in the immediate area you were out of comission for about fifteen seconds because of the item lag. What was originally a voice comms full of viking taunts and poems about manliness suddenly went all but silent, but my job still wasn't done.

I continued to stalk around the station kidnapping the survivors with a fire extinguisher full of fire, and would throw them into the crusher. New joiners would come in and walk immediately into the crusher not knowing the better. Soon enough it was just me and the AI, because I also pushed the cyborgs into the crusher. At least that's what I thought until the viking king came crashing down the hallway trying to kill me with his super axe that was a prize for winning the viking cat race.

He died when I threw a bucket of water on the ground and he slipped into the crusher.

I ended up succeeding in escaping alone and assassinating all of my targets.

The best thing is that people thought it was an admin that set up the invisible crushers in the hallway up until I was monologuing in the shuttle.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Cloaking unit + grinders in the hallway. Genius.

That was great. I was AI that game and deciding whether to alert the crew or feign ignorance since they were cloaked was a really difficult choice. But the fact that watching it was funny as hell made the choice for me.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

It's a classic move. My only question is how a traitor mechanic has the time to set the grinders up without someone stumbling on him and jigging up.

People just walk by mechanics and never care, just keep the board in your hand. Setting up is also pretty easy, sometimes I straight up put them up before deploying the cloaker and people just go around and avoid you.

Hell sometimes I mass produce weapons and the only people that care enough are vamps or changlings.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

s0m3 guy posted:

Hell sometimes I mass produce weapons and the only people that care enough are vamps or changlings.

The best is when you clearly have a room full of guns and thermals and everything and a traitor -still- tries to come kill you and take them.

Really, all you had to do was ask politely at the window and I would have given you a handful. But no, you had to EMag my loving door. You deserve to have a hundred+ laser rounds turning your body into swiss cheese.

E: (Not you, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Sorry to everyone on LLJK13, I was DELTINA the AI. Internet dropped, and now BYOND is refusing to reopen. Good luck!

e: Bloody good round with all the laws I got, though. Even though law 5 did nothing, it simply said "This law overrides all other laws". That's all well and good, but nothing was actually directed.

• Locked thread