Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

infernal machines posted:

What, realistically, does Canada have to offer anyone in Canada or Iraq by joining the fray?

I would say our name and "good" standing in the region. As Helsing said, they made a mess and they want to get a broad coalition to show they have International support to help clean it up.

If Harper is going to pull out his CF-18, I hope he helicopters it.* :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9vD98La2o:nws:

*insert ED and Sea King crash joke

FowlTheOwl fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

FowlTheOwl posted:

If Harper is going to pull out his CF-18, I hope he helicopters it.* :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9vD98La2o:nws:

I was hoping for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx66yjdatEI

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Yeah that was excellent and Can con quota fulfilled.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't have a terribly big issue with sending soldiers to protect villages in ISIS' periphery from conquest, but what Iraq actually needs is an invasion of roads, bridges, hospitals, and schools; not bombs, planes, and tanks.

Besides, if we're going to fight groups of people to punish them for their crimes against Iraq and its destitute people, well, the biggest and most disgraceful culprit is just south of the border.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, unless anyone has any objections I can make a new thread today or tomorrow. I'll probably go with Canadian Politics Megathread: This thread is on your ignore list, click to view anyway to avoid singling out PT6A too much, since he is one of us and we should try to get along even when we think he's being ridiculous (unless someone comes up with something better between now and then of course).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I may not like Harper at all, but I really don't think he's stupid enough to commit Canadian ground troops to any sort of middle-eastern intervention. Sending fighters to bomb some stuff is very low risk, low-intensity.

Sending in troops would not only ruin an already ruined Canadian army, it'd ensure another Conservative government doesn't get elected in this generation.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I know Romeo Dallaire's retired, but it'd be pretty cool if he had anything to say about Canada's involvement against ISIS, seeing as he would know about intervention without a large number of armed personnel.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Canadian Politics Megathread: This thread is on your ignore list, click to view anyway (to avoid singling out PT6A too much, since he is one of us and we should try to get along even when we think he's being ridiculous)

just make this the title

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Too long, I think. I also don't really care if the title "singles me out" or not. If that sort of thing disturbed me, I'd already be staying well clear of this thread anyway. I do think "this thread is on your ignore list" is a bit cleverer, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ElectricHeir posted:

I know Romeo Dallaire's retired, but it'd be pretty cool if he had anything to say about Canada's involvement against ISIS, seeing as he would know about intervention without a large number of armed personnel.

Dallaire was on the Current this morning regarding ISIS, but I was stuck in meetings and didn't get to listen: anyone hear what he had to say?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669458

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We've evolved, like a caterpillar turning into a stinkbug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Edit: wrong thread

• Locked thread