Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Cultural Imperial posted:

Remember the good old days when the chances of Quebec separation were high which meant it was likely the eastern provinces could be ceded to the Americans?

La République Du Québec welcomes our eastern friends into the bosom of our united Not-Canada alliance.

Serioustalk: Do people still get off on the Queen and monarchy? I find it kind of ridiculous and vaguely offensive that she's still got a spot in our political system (even if only nominally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

JayMax posted:

As a Québécois I feel a deep, seething revulsion for the Queen. To me she symbolizes imperial dominance, hegemony, disenfranchisement, alienation, humiliation.

Pretty much this. I imagine the natives must not appreciate her that much either.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Coylter posted:

This is a shrieking sound to my hears. Trolling or not i almost started to bleed there.

Ignore Raenir Salazar. I knew him in CEGEP and he's gone from everything to a right wing frothing maniac to a stalinist. There's also some less savory things less fit for this thread. But the guy has a serious hardon for authoritarians (hence the monarchy-love)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

I genuinely don't understand this sentiment. The way I see it, the Québécois got a pretty good deal following the Treaty of Paris, 1763. Granted, I don't know much about Canadian history between, say 1820 and 1990, but aside from Quebec being federated into a country with a bunch of people who speak English, I don't get the whole 'disenfranchisement, alienation, humiliation' part. Particularly since after 250 years, Quebec still largely retains the most defining characteristics of New France: French and Catholicism.

I know there's been a bunch of shady anti-Quebec stuff that has happened within the Confederation, but I don't know why you'd hold that against the Monarchy.

Quebecois Catholics literally weren't permitted to participate in elected government or public official positions because they had to swear oaths of loyalty and renounce their catholicism. The deal the british cut with the church, that is, to keep us obeisant, weak and under-control, left us with a severely underdeveloped, non-industrial and stagnant society until, (miracle of miracles!) the silent revolution dragged us kicking and screaming into the 20th century midway through it.

We retain our characteristics DESPITE the occupation and attempted extinction of our culture, not THANKS to it.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Well, I should have said after the Quebec Act, 1774, I suppose. That act established a new oath of loyalty that made no reference to Protestantism, or religions of any kind.

Quoth the almighty wiki, from: Oath of Allegiance (Canada)

It's kind of goofy to modern eyes to be swearing loyalty to your monarch, but this one seems pretty reasonable. Incidentally I don't think it's required any more (since the 2000s at some point).

This of course, forgetting the fact that Catholics are not permitted to swear oaths of any kind, as a matter of religious doctrine.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

As someone who is baptized catholic, whose family is largely catholic, who personally knows a catholic theologian in training this is a massive generalization, and is extremely pedantic any which way you slice it.

How is it pedantic? I'd rather not compromise my religious beliefs to serve in office, and I shouldn't have to.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Yeah, just like how English Canada went nuts when Francophone Laurier became the prime minister.

Except that didn't happen.

Are you for real.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Is there a 3rd Reich?

Pitt being a fan of a 3rd Reich, if there were one, wouldn't surprise me :godwin:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Reminder before we all end up on a tangent about QUEBEC BAD (again): Racism is racism anywhere, not just in Quebec. It is loving insane that they won't let a kid play on account of his headgear.

priznat posted:

Is it racism or are they trying to out-secularize everyone?

This is probably the most interesting question that merits inquiry. Personally, I feel the latter is the mask of the former.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Have any of the other parties commented yet? I can't wait to see everyone try to out-neutral each other.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I think one of the nuance elements about May's interview is that there is a time, and a place, for eco-talks about shrimp. 6 minutes, in a short lunch with a reporter, is a huge chunk of time that could be spent otherwise on a subject that can be summed up fairly decently in a few.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

We sometimes think of "fringe" parties as crazy dingbats but sometimes they serve a role in representing interests ignored by the big-tent polities; which in this case she has every right and obligation to do so. What important issue should she have been speaking about that isn't already covered by the other parties?

I think complaining about Thai Mangrove Swamps is a bit useless when you could instead talk about, say, Canadian environmental destruction. She's running for office here, after all.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, when someone says "Conservatives are assholes" the capital C tends to mean the Party. Might be something that gets missed sometimes.

Supporting and defending an awful party, largely consisting of awful people, tends to cast aspersions on your moral fiber!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Jesus 300 grand is enough to sent practically 300 people anywhere in the world, round trip.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

everyone posted:

airplane prices

Well poo poo, guess I figured you'd get a bulk discount for 300 grand. (I'm bad, I know, it's been too long since I've even been able to afford looking at the cost of traveling)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

I gotta say thats my least favorite bit of Canadian culture.

I'm in this boat. As great as "we" (And "we" is always a strange and nebulous term) are, at least they don't have kings or queens.

It's not really of any use, in general, to encourage a culture based on exclusion or superiority complexes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

THC posted:

A ceremonial monarch, who enjoys no executive power whatsoever, is definitely preferable to an elected head of state with the ability to target citizens for assassination with zero accountability.

In all fairness, our prime minister is perhaps a few pieces of legislation away from that point, if not already with the power to do such things. I mean our government can hand you over to be tortured and killed, so I'd venture to say that the only reason we don't have the PMO signing executive murder orders is because we don't have attack drones or operatives around the globe with the same organisation the US has.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Cordyceps Headache posted:

National impotence, not national unwillingness, is probably the reason for a lot of our reputation as peace-loving.

The perks of being a middle power.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Royal Canadian Orbital Bombardment Force will ensure all threats are shot down before they can even be threats!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is only hard if you have a phobia of standing in front of a grocery store for an afternoon.

Young Paikin is apparently spending his June in Montréal. I keep seeing him downtown.

Where would this be? I want to heckle him. The economy's been bad and I need to vent my unemployment rage at a member of the institution.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I will run for Awful in Quebec's Vaudreuil-Soulanges as a No-Nonsense anti-corruption candidate who believes the only way to solve corruption is to impose minimum bribes, to be registered with the Department of Bureaucratic Undersight.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

mr. unhsib posted:

Two elected chambers is redundant? Have you told most of the rest of the world???

What qualifies as "the rest" here?

And yes, many would argue, myself included, that including an elected second chamber, when the first is elected, is redundant.

Here's a simple test for redundancy:

Do they both do the same thing? Can one be made to do the work of both, without massively increasing the responsibilities and workload? If yes, then...

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Canada's PERILOUS HOUSE OF CARDS is FINALLY COLLAPSING!!!!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I'm in favour of geographic emigration (we are working on making quebec sail into the sea and wedge itself onto the coast of france)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

angerbot posted:

If your gun is propping up a kitchen table that's missing a leg or something maybe gun ownership is not for you.

I don't know, maybe that's just being economical and multi-tasking with one's tools on hand! GOVERNMENT CRACKING DOWN ON FRUGAL CANADIANS WHO USE THEIR GUNS EVERYDAY TO LEGAL ENDS!!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Queue another monarchism debate in 3, 2, 1...

But seriously, I'm Irish by descent, but I've given my heart to the place I was born, and forgiven King Billy and the whole House of Orange.

Good song. But I still don't want his ghost ruling my country.

edit:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good point, the Queen's Royal Attack Dogs are quite adorable.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

people posted:

border services

It's interesting to consider that the CBSA pretty much operate independently and have almost no civilian oversight/accountability. They're like a mercenary army. They go on busts to grab individual undocumented aliens/deportation order ignorers with full SWAT style equipment, like, surrounding buildings and everything.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
What's amazing is that at this point, it's the veteran's sons who are old enough to be retired. They didn't even fight

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
It's ok, we'll make up the shortfall in the Army's budget by billeting soldiers with civilians and returning to foraging and looting.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

brucio posted:

If Mulcair had a knack for cutting "red tape" and public service jobs, I wouldn't doubt that the forums would agree with Harper in that situation.

This is pretty much how it goes. People in this thread haven't really been the overwhelming ideologues that some like to accuse us of. There hasn't been a lack of criticizing the NDP's positions either, I can think of Mulcair's positions on Israel, or their obsession with tax breaks for companies, for example.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

bunnyofdoom posted:

Since this is my job and all, and I seem to be the Liberal here, but seriously, why should I believe you on this?

On the first one, please tell me how he trolled the breakfast? As to crashing it, are you sure he wasn't invited? It seems to be standard procedure for charity events?

On the second one? Forgive me for saying so, and I know I'm being hypocritical here considering my reputation, but you haven't made the most reliable posts so far here and keep seeming to refer to a Liberal Media Conspiracy. First, Here claiming CBC is overinflating media coverage of a "minor train derailment" which you know, has caused at least 20 deaths so far, for Liberal propaganda purposes. Including just quotes as

Then you doubled down on your poo poo claiming the CBC and CTV are the biggest donors to the Liberal Party (Which, I can tell you isn't true at all) and that there is a demonstrable bias going back to 1998(!)

So, yes again I know this maybe hypocritical, but I don't believe you and your lovely posts.

EDIT: I'd just like the same critical standards that people use on me when I post stupidly to apply to other posters when they run their mouth off.
I'm actually in agreement with you, for once. From the sound of it, Hal_2005 sounds like the kind of person who gets paid to post vitriol/talking points. That or a loony. I mean, his posts are just so full of buzzwords.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

I guess there's nothing entirely new about this but it's still amusing to see how tightly controlled every member of cabinet is.

But don't forget, the PMO has no control over who cuts a check to whom using what funds.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Majuju posted:

Can you come over and explain to my problem neighbours that it's sort of rude to smoke discount cigarettes and pot right outside my window four or five times a day? Because all the times I've tried, and for all the politeness I've extended, I clearly haven't been using the secret quaint bucket success technique.

Smoke cigarettes and ash onto them from above. Apologise if called out on it, but change nothing. Or do that thing they did in the middle ages where you crap in a bucket and throw it out the window every morning.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

THC posted:

Apparently if you aren't obsessed with :siren: THE ROYAL BABY :siren: then you are a republican.

Woah, I wish they wouldn't lump us anti-monarchists in with the freaking atheists. Geez.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Scald posted:

Unions should absolutely exist but I'd rather they help get part timers and starting wages raised to a comfortable level than to protect people who made a decision to stay at their unskilled job for 10 years.

e: when i hit post i was on the last page

Why not do both? There is no one forcing us to choose.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Electoral Olympics: Now doping the dopes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

margaret windbag posted:

I have nothing against firefighters, personally. But times have changed. We can’t go on like this. I could write the same column about the police. You guys are supposed to protect us. But we can’t afford you any more.

I have nothing against healthcare, personally. But times have changed. We can't go on like this. I could write the same column about employment insurance. You guys are supposed to help us. But we can't afford you any more.

Also: holy poo poo with a degree in English, no one told her you're not supposed to start a phrase with a conjunction.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
In theory, however not it may be in practice, an elected public official SHOULD be working a whole lot harder than the average citizen, justifying that wage.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
No one can stop me from organising a nude foosball league, at least :quebec:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

Punish them by taking their jobs and giving them to hard working everyday Canadian families

This should be applied to senatorial misconduct.

• Locked thread