Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I don't feel particularly strongly about the issue, but I'd happily jettison the monarchy if it meant less royal visits to Canada. Drives me nuts every time a member of the royal family comes here and all our news outlets turn into royal-obsessed tabloids. I don't watch Power & Politics to find out what Prince Whatshisface is wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Imperator Justinium Trudeaux, First of His Name.

Ave!

The big upside to Trudeau as leader in 2015 is the possibility of Warhammer 40k style Trudeau fan art.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Also, I just threw a dart at a map of Canada to determine which other region we could poo poo on, and Mr. Pointy recommends we be upset at Cut Knife, Saskatchewan.

The entirety of Alberta always makes a good fallback plan.

Never understood the Toronto hate. Everyone I grew up around has pretty neutral feelings about Ontario and reserves most of their real loathing for Calgary and Fort Mac.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp. Gawker says the Crackstarter was a bust. Video owner contacted Gawker saying the video is gone.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo. Christy Clark chose my riding (Westside-Kelowna) to run in a by-election in. It wasn't particularly close, the Liberal beat the New Democrat 13k to 7k, but damned if I won't see if we can do something to change that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Rathgeber stating a lot of obvious things about the CPC's tight messaging control. Threw out a comment about the Duffy scandal as an example of the party's issues with accountability and transparency.

:suspense:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I didn't think it was particularly scandalous that the Conservatives have a rainy day slush fund. Plenty of other things to get up in arms about right now.

Bookending the "trained seal" clip from Rathgeber with Chris Alexander on a panel was entertaining television.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Pretty strange the way the CPC are pushing back so hard on this "secret slush fund" situation. It's no big deal and they should just say it. Instead they're pushing this weird CBC conspiracy/left-wing media persecution angle and giving the thing life.

Feels like they're jumping at shadows.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Helsing posted:

Even if the fund is totally harmless and the kind of poo poo that any modern party would do, it really isn't the kind of story I can imagine the Conservatives would want to see appearing in the press right now.

Freaking out, changing their message 24 hours later (Chris Alexander acknowledged the existence of the fund yesterday on P&P) and blasting the messenger is pretty much the worst thing you could do to put an end to this story. They're capable of the "no big deal, nothing to see here, these are not the droids you are looking for" response to a story like this, why they'd choose the "hair on fire, liberal media conspiracy" approach baffles me. It just gives this thing legs and makes it looks like they're hiding something.

All I can guess is they'd rather have this thing on TV than more coverage of Duffy. Maybe blow this thing out of proportion knowing no wrongdoing will be found then point to it as "see? All these scandals are bullshit cause this was no big deal".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fine-able Offense posted:

The Senate, right now, today, does good and useful things for the Canadian people. I know this because I've testified before Senate committees, worked with Senators on important issues, and actually arsed myself to learn about what it is and how it works before making GBS threads all over myself in public on the topic.

Could you give a few specific examples? It gets thrown out a lot as something proponents of the Senate feel to be completely uncontroversial, but I rarely hear "the Senate did this thing, this thing and this good thing in the last year". Not trying to imply those examples don't exist, just don't seem to hear specifics about the good things the Senate does.

I'd love to see an MP stand up and offer a full throated defence of the Senate and the value of it, but it seems that'd be political suicide these days.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I don't have the time for an in depth response but thanks for the article Vyelkin and the example Fine. It's always been a little strange to me that people would talk about "all the good work the Senate does" but were so stingy with specifics. You'd think at a time like this every member of the Senate would be shouting from the rooftops about every halfway decent thing they ever did.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

THC posted:

I hope they call it Refooooooorm

Love dat word.

Failing that I'm pretty sure Canadian Reform Alliance Party is still available.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks for the updates. Got someone in Okotoks who's having her family come stay with her, hoping they all make it there safely. Hoping things blow over with as little damage and danger as possible.

Calgary you've got two months to clean up your city once this is all over, cause I'll be damned if I miss XFest!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Such a good line up this year too! I do hope the grounds will be useable.

Yeah it's going to be outstanding. Weezer and City & Colour alone are worth the price of admission to me. It's like getting to see AWOLnation, Blink 182 and The Sheepdogs for free with a ton of other bands I hardly know. Kind of blown away by how cheap the tickets are.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Is there a lot of call for volunteers to help clean up after a disaster like this? Any ideas who you'd even contact about something like that? I'm unemployed at the moment, but I can accomplish nearly as much on that front from a coffee shop with wifi as from here in town. Could pretty easily catch a Greyhound bus that way from here in BC when the flooding settles, extra set of hands and all that. Obviously would stay out of the way till the flooding gets under control.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wasn't she laying the ground work for some sort of tax increase before the flood? I remember the weird little "balance the budget" game where you could implement a ton of heinous and awful cuts, or raise taxes a tiny amount.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Sadly we missed the submission deadline here in the Westside-Kelowna Byelection. Fortunately there are a bunch of awful candidates on the ballot. :rimshot:

Found out that they have eight candidates running in the Byelection. Gotta look up a list. Apparently they're getting lots of complaints about no Green Party candidate either, so BCNDP/BCLP/BCCon and 5x???

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Justin Trudeau knows his emails are annoying so the subject line for his last was, "It's me again"

I liked the one where he thanked me for making him Liberal leader. Worked hard on that one. Those dog-ate-my-homework deadline jokes don't write themselves.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If it was all a secret conspiracy to take guns away, how many Canadians would actually care? 10%? 20%? The Canadian people have shown a remarkable ability to remain apathetic about much worse incidents than this.

I get that I should probably be more bothered by RCMP overreach, but in this instance it's tough to work up much enthusiasm.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Man gun people are weird.

I'm rapidly reaching the point where I want to see crazy gun control laws on the books just to troll the hell out of the gun owners. Maybe something where owning a gun requires you to get a forehead tattoo that reads "has a gun".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Now who will I tell everything? :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Clark is out to a big early lead of 1500ish votes with about half the polls reporting according to the Globe & Mail. The anti-Clark voters were certainly the most vocal at my polling station (lots of "here to stop Christy Clark" comments throughout the day") but the voting pool skewed heavily towards seniors so I'm not optimistic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Meat Recital posted:

It's good to see the Gov't upset at the telecoms, but at the same time Verizon already said they were pulling out of the bidding process so what's the point anymore?

The Conservatives are jumping on "standing up to the telecoms" as part of their image rehab campaign. Kind of funny after the way they thrashed the crap out of the NDP for doing the same in the last election.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Personally I'm just hoping we get an ad about Stephen Harper costing Canada all of it's RIM jobs and a pledge to bring RIM jobs back.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fine-able Offense posted:

You ain't really Vancouver unless you remember those old The Captain commercials.

"Aye Aye, and Good Buy!"

I remember seeing those during Almost Live before SNL came on. Almost Live was amazing but only my Vancouver friends remember it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The TVs thing is especially hilarious. I bought a little 22" 1080p HDTV for $140 last May from Best Buy, hardly some sort of extravagant unattainable luxury purchase. Probably could have got one cheaper had I shopped around/dealt with a non-brick and mortar retailer.

Haven't any of these people seen Oz? Even Oz had TV sets.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bloody Holly posted:

ford just admitted he smokes crack
"smoked"

In his defence it is part of a nutritious breakfast.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I can't wait for Rob Ford to come out against the vicious and slanderous rumours spread by Rob Ford. After all, that guy is on crack! Clearly he can't be trusted.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JimboMaloi posted:

He asked "Are you on crack right now?" and Ford walked out. It's a stupid question which served no clear purpose beyond antagonizing him (Ford was as coherent as he ever gets), so I can't actually begrudge Ford for walking out.

Rosie Barton was tweeting about the rest of the reporters being livid with the reporter who made the joke. Pretty stupid giving him an out to walk away without answering questions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Squibbles posted:

Haha oh NDP

Their site is getting absolutely hammered and returning nothing but 500 errors.

Edit: It's back: http://www.ndp.ca/senate-hall-of-shame-hockey-cards

Got an email about these, freaking sold. I would totally collect MP and Senator trading cards though. I'll have to settle for a set of disgraced ones for now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I really can't wait for the attack ads to shred this fool into a pile of tears and good hair.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Racism in the west is just usually directed at different groups. I've heard way too many rants about "Hongcouver" or people saying awful poo poo about natives in Winnipeg over the years.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

THC posted:

I hope he shows up. I hope he shows up, and he ruins Christmas.

You're a mean one, Mr Ford.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Clearly the solution is to ship all the kids off to Fort Mac and let the oil companies handle education.

:economicactionplan:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

My broooother is coooooming with many Fremen waaaaaariors. Poor Mayor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lumius posted:

I really doubt they ever had any intention of doing more than a one episode deal, from the editing it seems like a "one time tv special"

If this costs us a Rob & Doug Ford Christmas special I'll be thoroughly disappointed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

eXXon posted:

:lol: The Conservative MP from Okanagan thanks the government for replacing the boiler in some city's pool. It is more energy efficient and reliable. This is good governance. But he can't understand why a government would want to legalize a dangerous drug like marijuana. He concluded by saying that when he was in the pool, he prayed that his children would never live under a government willing to legalize marijuana. You can't make this poo poo up.

I missed the question but that's likely my MP Dan "The Karate Kid" Albas.

The Canadian version of the Romney money.jpg

:sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Every time I see Chris Alexander he reminds me of Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver. So slimy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh my god the Bloc Québécois are expanding into Alberta and Naheed Nenshi is a member!

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Calandra is the living embodiment of that Upton Sinclair quote: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” Watching his interview on Power & Politics yesterday was just cringeworthy.

• Locked thread