Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Stephen Harper, King in the North.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I worked with a dude a couple years back who was adamant that our system of government requires a monarch to function, that the power of State cannot be embodied in anyone else no matter what, GOTTA BE A MONARCH.

It was the most bizarre conversation. He would acknowledge that having the Head of State be officially someone in another country who never interfers was simply tradition and that the GG was effectively the real power, but he just wouldn't acknowledge that meant we just don't need Lizzie at all :psyduck:

That being said, I enjoy having the Windsors around. I like the tradition and the link to the past. We're a nation built off immigration, and since my background is mostly British I find it comforting that they're there. But I totally understand why the Quebecois and many others do not feel the same way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Our form of government requires a monarch to function because our form/system of government is a constitutional monarchy. Its a tautology.

Oh, I get that. But if we rewrote the constitution to not require the monarch? This is where it was sticky, because he would reply about the Divine Power of God or whatever. This guy was hyperconservative and got really excited for Dominion Day, for instance.

He also got super-excited for Budget Day, but I think that has less to do with being a Tory than with being a dullard who had absolutely no life. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Freudian posted:

Are you the guy who posted about their Tory friend in the Ask Me About Anime Husbands --> Crazy Toxic Friends thread? I really hope there isn't more than one of these guys.

I may very well have done that, yeah. I wonder what happened to that guy somedays. Did he make to England for university? Did the British curbstomp him for being an insufferable anglo-phile? The world will never know :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

As a Canadian of, ultimately, homo erectus ancestry, I find it offensive that Lucy is not on our money. She's the only historical figure we need.

Or just throw more illustrations of hockey and oil derricks on there, whichever, nobody gives a gently caress *hops in a jacuzzi filled with crude oil, drinks gasoline from a flute made of Canadian diamonds, towels off with a Flames jersey*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Imperator Justinium Trudeaux, First of His Name.

Ave!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

BGrifter posted:

The big upside to Trudeau as leader in 2015 is the possibility of Warhammer 40k style Trudeau fan art.

You have no idea how disappointed I am the two pretty-boy Primarchs do not wear red :smith:

Hey, bunnyofdoom, can you put forward a motion at the next Liberal Party meeting to change the colours to either purple or gold? I'd appreciate it to save myself some colour-masking time in photoshop a couple years down the road, thanks.

angerbot posted:

I still think "The Dominion of Canada" is a pretty sweet name for a country

I suspect our bureaucrats would have issues with that branding.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 1, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sanguinius wears gold. Only common Blood Angels wear red. Don't you know anything :eng101:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My grandpa, rest his creepy soul, would have called metis tieflings :v:

"They're half-devils! :byodood:"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I currently live in the United States, but I'm thinking of moving to another country. Would you advise I move to Canada, or is it not worth the effort? I think it is, but you're natives.

Is this because Obama won reelection? :rolleyes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Garlic Sauce is a human right!

This is why I love Ottawa. More shawarma places than Lebanon. :kimchi:

Wait, drat, talking about food again! Uh, uh, Rob Ford should be into fracking not cracking!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I hope you're supporting Canadian breweries.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I got a bottle of that stuff a couple years back. Tasted like hairspray, it made disgusting screwdrivers. Oddly, the best tasting vodka I've ever had was bottom-shelf stuff, plastic-bottled Russian Prince.

loving Dan Ackroyd. Maybe his wine is good, but his vodka sucks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Don't they have to print up a whole french set of stuff anyway? Like cups and wrappers to have french all over them? I have no idea if the cups are bilingual or not already, honestly, I never eat at Tim Hortons. Not since my childhood spent as a boy named Tim with a last initial of H :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

When I realized that about the Liberal logo, I thought it was pretty bitchin'. None of the other logos come close, especially not this turd.

What is that? It looks like a big ol' V with a C hidden behind it, and the leaf is just kind of jammed in there like they forgot to have one in the first place. This could be a nifty space agency logo, but a political party? :iiam:

I like the CPC logo, too, it's just a big ol' C with a red leaf inside. Looks nice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because its an anti-small business measure that makes companies not want to do business in Quebec and is especially harmful to start ups.

You're gonna have to explain that assertion. Fledgling companies (ones which aren't run by morons, anyway) aren't going to randomly expand into Quebec without a strategy for it, or they're already there in which case the language law stuff is second nature to them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

drat, that's a classy McDonald's, Zeeboi. Wanna go to Salzburg for a cheeseburg. :stare:

Also, I just threw a dart at a map of Canada to determine which other region we could poo poo on, and Mr. Pointy recommends we be upset at Cut Knife, Saskatchewan.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I think we can all agree that the stupidest, least laudable region of Canada is, in fact, all of it. :angel:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Taking it a little personally aren't you, Elizabeth Arabidopsis?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Scratching the surface of the Green Party leads to sadness.

Oh well, guess I'm voting straight Leninist next election again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So you're saying we should conspire to elect a single Communist to Parliament so the Americans will kill Keystone forever? This is a good plan, who's our Marxchurian candidate?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Who here's shilling for the Greens? :tinfoil:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Screaming about becoming a tradesperson is better than what it was when I was getting out of high school which was more or less "if you do not spend the next several years locked into university, you will die homeless and alone in a cardboard box, covered in roaches and lepers". Boy, did that mentality ever work out well for my age cohort, I cannot tell you how many people I know who have absolutely useless degrees because they all rushed into the system without any thought for what they wanted to do with their expensive paper when they had it. PoliSci, Women's Studies, and English majors, ahoy!

Of course, I chose a different way, a better way to gainful income and a decent standard of life. I chose... RAPTURE. :swoon:

e: I have nothing against any of those degrees, btw. If I had to go into university, I would almost certainly shove my nose into a linguistics or classics textbook and not come out until I was fluent in ancient greek.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

O Dealer, Where Art Thou? (I'm Jonesin')

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know much about him, honestly, but it seems like everytime I see MacKay come up lately, I've been impressed with him. He opposed this jet repaint, he put himself through the new fitness test for the Canadian Forces (and owned it), and I kind of wish maybe he had wound up Prime Minister instead of Harper just because he seems a lot more likeable. Stephen Harper is just so... unfriendly and wooden, like he was built by a cheap Hollywood fx house.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I knew there was something lovely in his dossier. Goddamn it. Can't we just have one single glimmering drop of heroism in the government? :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Fine-able Offense posted:

In his defense, that was pretty much the worst public dumping in Canadian history, rivaled only by Trudeau's wife giving handies in the back of Studio 54.

S'why you don't dip your pen in parliamentary ink. :heysexy:

e: so yes, Pete MacKay is also a poo poo. Lest We Forget. But I'll grab a beer with the fella sometime, sure. Team Theology, set me up, brother. I hope he drinks Quebec microbrews, some of them taste like raspberry.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Eej posted:

To be more specific, homeopathy works by taking a given medicinal ingredient, diluting it down multiple times by orders of magnitude, shaking it to impart energy into the solution and then drinking it. The more you dilute, the more potent it becomes. If the "quackery" alarm bells aren't firing off at full volume by now...

Not just diluting, but diluting it so much that the chances of the original substance being present at all are vanishingly small, because the idea is water has "memory" and will remember the properties of, say, milk of ipecac, so even especially if this glass of water contains literally no ipecac at all, because the draught is more potent the further diluted it is, the water will remember how to be ipecac and (even though drinking milk of ipecac makes you vom) cure your nausea.

It's like the most batshit crazy interpretation of vaccine theory possible.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Diluting with a Bible? I don't think you're talking about the same fake medicine as we are.

e: acupuncture is a big ol' bag of crap which has been shown to be no more effective than being poked with sharp toothpicks. It's a placebo methodology. At least chiro might give you a nice massage, until the practitioner decides he's going to snap your neck because your bad vision is being caused by a subluxation he just has to correct before you develop testicular cancer. :tinfoil:

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I would imagine the Senate is essentially invisible when functioning properly, and thus "all those times you don't hear about it are good times".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I judge the fitness of Senators-elect by, well, their fitness.

If you can't look good in an orange and silver jumpsuit while racing for your freedom through a desolate hellscape (Scarborough), you don't get appointed to the Red Chamber. You get hacked into pieces by a man covered in chainsaws, or perhaps an opera singer wearing Christmas lights.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My dad married his girlfriend so at least she wouldn't get deported when her visa ran out.

It's been a couple of years now, I assume that worked out okay for them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Klondike Days are Edmonton.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sounds like the kind of guy who just throws overpasses and cloverleafs all over his cities in Simcity instead of just adding a few bus stops and commuter trains.

They're not that expensive, just put the bus stop on that empty square, you putz! :argh:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If Jack Layton had done the same thing, you guys would be clapping like dazed seals and shouting ORANGE CRUSH ORANGE CRUSH as the wheels of his immaculate stretch smartFortwo ground the pedestrians into a milky gruel.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Giant Goats posted:

It really isn't. When you factor in the taxes and other fees, it can cost about that much just to fly someone one way from Victoria to St. John's.

$300,000? One way across Canada? For one person? Are you considering getting a Concorde out of mothballs just for your personal use one time? :stare:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I guess I'm not voting for NDP next time :mad:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It's not exactly a feeling, though. More a fact.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I just got phone surveyed about the Ontario political landscape!

They seemed pretty loving concerned about what my opinion of Dalton McGuinty is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

We have lots of uranium, why not just orbital-drop big rods of it from space like in GI Joe: Retaliation? It would work, clearly, that was a very grounded and reasonable film. It would help the economy, too!

• Locked thread