Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HipGnosis posted:

Yeah, what happens when she pops her clogs? Are we going to put Charles on our money and everything? That'll be weird.

No, with only minor modifications to the bills they can all be made to have Bev Oda on them instead. Millions saved. Adscam!

This clarification brought to you by Canada's Economic Action Plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

quaint bucket posted:

Did a little more research. It sounds like it's strictly for kindergarten to intermediate.

If that's the case and secondary is being left alone then this system isn't a bad idea if it helps parent be more engaged and aware of kids' positives and shortcomings before they move onto grade 7-12. So a good move, theoretically if you assume the parents will be more involved.

The theory behind this kind of assessment is that you will be told if the student is meeting expectations or not (and to what degree) via a letter grade (and importantly that letter grade doesn't translate into a number at all -- it's not like the old A,B,C,D system) and then you will read an anecdotal comment. The comment is normally supposed to contain a statement of what the student is currently doing, where the student is going, and strategies for next steps.

Canada is generally considered to be an innovation leader regarding assessment strategies like this. Personally I prefer to see "Johnny is meeting expectations - M (Meeting Expectations). He is reading well. Johnny is currently starting to explore books aimed at higher grade levels of reading comprehension. Johnny should be encouraged to use a dictionary to look up new words he finds in his new books." as opposed to "English - 78 - Johnny is a pleasure in class" and then there's a board where you can see that Johnny is "better" than half of his classmates.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

quaint bucket posted:

A 3D printer cost $20k-30k.

For now, but in a few years they will likely be affordable and in places like high schools. Building a hardware store gun takes some time and knowledge, but downloading the plans for a printable gun for a grade 9 kid isn't hard and then he just presses print on the 3D printer while the teachers are all in the staff meeting. It's just easier for me to imagine a kid going off the rails and printing up a gun than a kid going off the rails and learning how to make an IED. I could be wrong.

Again, gun crazies ruin cool stuff for everybody.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

If a woman (regardless of her faith) really wants to veil her face, then all the more power to her I suppose. But I would strongly prefer to live in a culture where nobody thought that was necessary.
I feel the same way but I don't think that legislating that you CANNOT do that really makes that happen in any meaningful way.

It also makes me sad to see young people reading "Atlas Shrugged" on the bus, but I think the way to solve that problem is to point out to the person how ridiculous and stupid that book is. I'd be the first to show up to a protest if the government said "Well Atlas Shrugged is really horrible, so we're going to ban it in public places". That doesn't send the right message at all.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

JoelJoel posted:

Ask pretty much anyone around their middle age or later and they will be more than happy to tell you how much better things were before XYZ, and how society has lost values ABC.

There are plenty of middle aged people who don't feel this way. I'm over 40 and think things are hugely better than before and that the "values" we've lost include a lot of sexist and racist bullshit that I'm happy to see gone and hope to see more of gone. You couldn't loving pay me to go backwards and I think generations younger than mine are doing amazing things, like the students in Montreal or the spirit of the Occupiers or the way people use social media to effect change or whatever -- there are millions of great new things happening and younger people are spearheading it.

I don't think it's necessarily being older that makes you not be able to analyze and understand that things are improving, but just getting lazy. True, as people get older they tend to get tired and lazy, but it's not like you just wake up one day when you're 43 and you think "drat, I should start voting Conservative and chase those kids off my lawn because they're not doing what I used to do which was totally awesome and the proper way of doing things".

Nobody is doomed to be lazy and stupid because they're getting older and I think it's lovely to blame age itself for intellectual laziness.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The broadband caps are terrible.

... and totally in the same league as Uganda's "KILL ALL GAYS" laws as far as Netflix is concerned.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fine-able Offense posted:

Scrapping the long form census might be the most nakedly pointless, shittiest thing any political party has done in the last century of Canadian politics.

The repercussions are going to be felt for a long time. If you want to make an accountable decision, you really need data. Removing that data is going to make decision making (see: spending) less accountable and more of a gamble, even if you don't want to make decisions this way. What can you do?

Years later, the very same assholes who voted in this government will complain that you spent money in a way that didn't align to actual requirements because you couldn't loving get the data you needed to decide how to spend that money. Because it was taken away from you, and not because you didn't want/need it or even that you weren't willing to pay for it.

Edited because holy poo poo this makes me mad.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2013

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Helsing posted:

If you're upset because a loved one dies or you develop a serious health problem then is that really depression? I realize that in practice they can't always be separated but broadly speaking I would think that there's a difference between grief, which is a natural reaction to the tragedies that are inherent in life, and depression, which is probably best viewed as a medical condition that ought to be treated.

If your grief becomes a barrier to regular life and/or continues for an excessive amount of time, it is clinically referred to as "complicated grief" and requires a different kind of attention. No, it is not the same thing as clinical depression, but it is very often related to it, and it is a serious mental health issue.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baloogan posted:

Its vic towes who i hate

Vic Toews will likely be the President of The University of Winnipeg soon, assuredly protecting the young and impressionable from "the danger".

(for anybody who doesn't know, when Toews got called out for his scare tactic stance on crime and was told that violent crime has been decreasing, he said "I don't care about statistics, what I'm concerned about is the danger")

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

The question is, will he be better or worse than Alan Rock as president of Ottawa U?

Tough call. Considering the way Rock has treated students in the past, Toews might consider him to actually be "the danger".

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 27, 2013

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lobok posted:

How To Be a Fat Conservative

This study failed so he became a complete piece of poo poo instead.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ocrumsprug posted:

As Pinterest says, all a future parliament needs to do is blink and the law goes away in any case so it isn't really that damaging.
A ridiculous law like this was passed in Manitoba in the 90s and now the current government is being told that their PST increase was "illegal" and the conservative opposition leader won't shut up about a referendum.

It's damaging. It's a really horrible thing to do. Why not just pass EVERY law with a clause that says "and you can't EVER change this". A horrible waste of public time and money. Why is it always conservatives passing these stupid things too?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

Provencher (MOE 6%)
CPC way ahead
Others: Way Behind

The CPC can't lose in Provencher. This is a backwater in Manitoba that recently absolutely poo poo their pants at the prospect of allowing students to make a Gay-Straight Alliance in their schools. They responded to legislation mandating that all school districts allow these student organizations by holding mass panicked prayers. Also these are the people who loved Vic Toews.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Odd poll though. Not a single hockey player or actor? Really?

I believe it was a pre-determined set of names, you couldn't just write in your most admired Canadians.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is a real thing tweeted by Harper's Twitter.

HADOUKEN!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm starting to become convinced that Rob Ford and Mike Duffy are all part of a long study created by the Fraser Institute so the CPC will be able to actually find a leader suitable to replace Harper one day that the public is still willing to choke down on.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Samurai Quack posted:

Maybe the difference is not being a wealth worshipping shithead who, no matter what charitable acts he's done, went on national TV and lauded the idea of half the world being in abject poverty.

He's the most obvious of trolls. I'd thought that people would be easily able to spot this type of person now, but I guess I was just being optimistic. He's BAD at trolling. Maybe it's just that there are so many other people on the right (especially in the CPC) who have legitimately insane opinions that just sort of accidentally spill out - for example lately in a Jamaican accent. O'Leary is just trying too hard and there is a climate of weirdness out there right now that does it better without thinking about it (see: Ezra Levant, Rob Anders, etc. etc.).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 22, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

eXXon posted:

I think it's worth asking why a cartoon villain troll needs a plum spot on CBC, actually.

Answer:

Any other questions?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Samurai Quack posted:

Is it just called Austerity? Have an amazon link?

Specifically it's called Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea

Kindle version on Amazon Canada here:

http://amzn.to/1b1N28i

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Heavy neutrino posted:

What's the Greece argument anyway?

IF WE DON'T VOTE CONSERVATIVE WE WILL BE LIKE GREECE BY SUMMER.

Normally in all caps like that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

THC posted:

Last minute stop-press hate before I head home for the day.

I sat in class of 45 students where the teachers didn't know me and never had to do things like homework or use technology in my classroom and now I'm a wildly successful part time Humptys Restaurant office person and should be the model of how we educate future generations.

It's got to the point where I can't even tell when people are trying to be funny any more.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Yes, I feel like that windbreaker of his would say Ocean Pacific or Jordache.

That's a Ukrainian flag draped around his shoulders.

As for Anders, maybe that's not a pocket square. Maybe it's an index card that says "IF I AM LOST, PLEASE RETURN TO PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE, 80 WELLINGTON STREET, OTTAWA".

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 19, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I like the Winnipeg people. :(

Me too. Way back before Marcy Markusa started at CBC and she hosted a Shaw local interest show and she went to the Pan-Am Pool to cover a "water babies" class where new mothers brought their babies for their first swim.

Not having a baby herself, she brought along a plastic doll baby instead. She flung it around in the pool during the class until the head flew off. The mothers all looked on in horror as she laughed and played with her decapitated "baby".

I became a fan of Marcy that day and really hope she is OK after these horrible cuts (this incident aside, she loving earned a place being a broadcaster and clearly doesn't have her head up her rear end).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Charter schools are a miserable blight upon our country, and I don't know why they've become so popular.

They're popular because they game the system for horrible reasons. A charter school can still get funding AND outlaw "homosexual acts" by way of being a "charter" school. They can also set up "admission standards" that amount to segregation. It's like a get out of jail for being an rear end in a top hat free card for schools to be charter schools.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TrueChaos posted:

Ugh. gently caress this government, how much evidence do people need to realize that they're completely and utterly in bed with big oil?

Most Canadians don't give a poo poo. He could personally captain a huge tanker plowing through whales while big oil CEOs stand on deck and cheer and most Canadians would just say "well you know, you really need somebody to keep the budget balanced and fight against crime so he has my vote".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Duck Rodgers posted:

Stop with this silly defeatist bullshit.

My beliefs and opinions were soundly defeated in the last election, regardless of voter turnout or popular vote. That's why we have this government. You're just rationalizing the current government by pretending that it doesn't count because they didn't have the popular vote or that enough people showed up to vote.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Duck Rodgers posted:

Constantly repeating the refrain that Canadians just don't care is defeating and demoralizing, especially when it comes from people who generally agree with the opposition.

I understand. It's just hard to not feel defeated and demoralized after a while. I'm a bit older, voting in federal elections since the 1980s. It's not easy to keep faith in positive change when people give a majority to a government that literally plans to run over whales with oil tankers.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Huge Liability posted:

You don't have to know a single thing about politics to know why this is bad.

You're stealing jobs from Albertans! The whales should get out of the way. Save the whales hippies.

Please remember that many people still deny climate change. Saving some whales is just pure "hippy poo poo" to them.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PT6A posted:

(and, remember, outside of Alberta and Quebec they're so uptight about it that the drinking age is 19)

The legal drinking age in Manitoba is 18 and you can drink when you're 16 or 17 if you're with your parents.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

So of course people are getting mad and saying they shouldn't be allowed on the streets.

The parade organizers are distributing St.George ribbons. That's a pretty clear message.

I'm not saying they're "like nazis" or that they shouldn't be allowed in the street, but it's not like there was some sort of Russian parade happening and now some pro-russian supporters are showing up. It's a pre-planned rally with political motivation, so it's not surprising that the people on the opposite side of that message are concerned.

Also the WFP is a total rag so the whole thing is being sensationalized in that article. Maybe Bartley can help Winnipeggers understand the delicate situation in Ukraine by setting a poorly written Wikipedia summary of it to a Foghat song or something.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 9, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

BGrifter posted:

I loved him for being an almost cartoonish but awesome embodiment of what writers used to be.

Hitchens was a great thing if only because the rest of us always knew that no matter how proud we were of something we had just written, there was a drunk off his rear end Englishman in a hotel room somewhere who had assuredly just topped us with whatever he had just written during our moment of self-congratulation before we remembered this fact.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Based on what, exactly? Given that the CBC was also just discussing the parade and the protest it surely can't be based on that alone.

I've found that the WFP has steadily declined over the past few years.

- the reading complexity level rules have clearly been lowered. This is typical in most newspapers, but it is still sad

- they run weird tabloid stuff, like the aforementioned "Bart sets this news story to the tune of a bad classic rock song" far too often

- really sketchy polls on their website, which are then quoted in news articles as "public opinion"

- their aged editorial writers are horrible and actually somehow getting worse

- general bandwagoneering for circulation, like a few years back when the paper seemed to mostly be a daily report on how things were going for the Phoenix Coyotes because OMG THE JETS ARE COMING BACK WE KNOW IT and they ended up getting the story hilariously all wrong because yeah, the Jets came back, but no, all those stories about Phoenix weren't important

Complaining about most newspapers is like shooting fish in a barrel though, so I'll stop there.

EDIT - I spelled "bandwagoneering" as "bangwagoneering", somebody better contact Brazzers so they can squat that domain asap.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 9, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Little Blackfly posted:

Nah, Hitchens was a sexist and racist old chickenhawk

He also held the really bizarre opinion that "women can't be funny" which is really weird and very easily disproven.

John Belushi held the same opinion, working alongside people like Gilda Radner, so I just don't know. :psyduck: Maybe drugs and alcohol do make you crazy?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Not quite CanCon proper, but the golden age of the Canadian tax shelter film was pretty cool.

Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, Shivers, Rabid, Rituals spring to mind. All sorts of trash films too, many of them lost gems.

Also anybody who would argue that The Silent Partner isn't a good film doesn't deserve good movies. It has Elliot Gould, John Candy, 1970s era Eaton Centre, and evil Christopher Plummer as a tranny Santa Claus so yeah if you don't think that adds up to "good movie" then gently caress you.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

I'm in basically downtown Victoria and the one borderline libertarian I know has a false wall filled with guns, gold, and survival supplies for "when poo poo goes down". He's also made it pretty clear all bets will be off and don't even think of coming to him for help because it will finally be a golden age where only the self-sufficient survive. Everyone else has been kept alive and addicted to the nanny state.

Winnipeg was ahead of its time with regards to Survivalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaMTqfHdPM

AFTER CATACLYSM YOU WILL BE IN YOUR BOMB SHELTER FOR A PERIOD OF FIVE YEARS ... RADIATION BREEDS MUTATION!

Trivia -- the guy in this video with the plant strapped to his face is filmmaker Guy Maddin.

Whenever I meet a survivalist-libertarian type, I always think about these guys, because they pretty much nailed what they sound like after a few minutes if you actually engage them.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 21, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mr. Wynand posted:

It turns out "being very passionate about something" is a very poor predictor of someone's willingness to pay you to do said something, go figure.

Part of the deal is that you need to add value to whatever you're passionate about that you do.

Source: I'm old.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

The SUN of all things is running a front page NDP ad? That's unexpected.

Yeah, I was surprised that the SUN would run a front page NDP ad, but then I was equally not surprised that the SUN is the rag most likely to be willing to be whored out and have its credibility degraded for whoever is able to pay for it, so it all sort of balances out.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mederlock posted:

Pretty good editorial about the safeguards and measures that we have to help stop something like this before it happens. Don't stay silent if you know someone who's showing warning signs of this type of behavior and has firearms.

I appreciate the intent here, but if we're going to call the cops on every creepy person who has a Facebook page full of right-wing crap, bad metal lyrics, and photos of guns, we're going to need a lot more cops.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

The tone of their facebook poetry.

Metallica = safe, nothing to see here

Megadeth = call the police immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hexigrammus posted:

Wait, what about Iron Maiden?

That's easy: if it's Blaze Bayley era, call the cops immediately.

Related: I just called the cops on Alberta because of how worrisome they've been acting.

• Locked thread