Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Brego

"What I can offer... That is a great store of data. My memory dates back beyond 10,000 years. Shall I tell you of the fusillades of overlapping fire cut down the False Emperor's Astartes as they landed on Istvaan? I commanded a small but devastating contingent of heavy weapons and mine was the order to target the drop ships after they'd unloaded their troops, stranding the loyalists in the killing field. I was not present for the Battle of Terra, so I can tell you little of it firsthand. I can only relay the reports and transmissions we received from those that laid waste to the fortifications there. The retreat of the Despoiler into the Eye of Terror scattered many warbands, and my knowledge of the war becomes a more personal account then. What would you ask first, lady sage? I understand there is not much time before you must leave with the Inquisitor. What questions press most heavily for answers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

Demeter bows at the sage. "Greetings, I too have interest in that period of time as well. While Brego has delighted me with his stories, and while nothing is wrong with oral traditions, I am interested in more concrete evidence. While you seem interested in what happened to the traitor astartes after the heresy, I am more interested in what happened in the Imperium after the retreat to the Eye of Terror. It is known that after the heresy a lot of men and material was left by the traitor legions; worlds full of arms and armor, as well as astartes from the legions who remained loyal. My interest is in logistics reports of what happened to those resources, how they were divvied up. I am not as old as Brego and cannot regale you with stories of the Heresy, perhaps there is something else I can trade, knowledge I have for likely locations of such records?"

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The sage's eyes light up when Brego mentions reports and transmissions from the Siege of Terra. "If you have records of transmissions from the Battle of Terra or reports of the fighting there, those would be brilliant. Existing imperial accounts of the events there are not very detailed, and largely focus on hero worship of the astartes and custodes. The only ones that actually detail the progress of the battle are those maintained by some of the first founding astartes chapters, and they've been less than willing to share access to those records." She chuckles softly and looks at Demeter. "I suppose that also serves as a response to your offer. The only records concerning what was done with the remnants of the traitor legion's property and loyal personnel that I'm aware of are on Ultramar, though I suspect the other first-founding chapters would have at least partial records of similar kind."

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Balthreor

Balthreor is surprised that the door opened and even more surprised at the commotion in the once silent room. "I need nothing, only curiosity has led me here. This room's silence did stand out from the others." He tries to peek inside the room again and see if he can recognize any equipment left unpacked in there. "But I see you are busy. Is the Inquisitor leaving the ship or are you just redecorating?" If the Inquisitor is leaving the ship the success of this mission might be in danger.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"Again, I don't know how much time you have, but I can leave my memories on a dataslate for you. The Siege of Terra can only be conveyed with secondhand reports that I was privy to as it waged, but Istvaan was and still is a seared into my heart and soul. I shall offer it to you for all you know of the Obliterator Cult, with more knowledge shared as I can get it transcribed."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Hallway
"Yea, we're leaving. Boss said there's been a change of plans. Didn't say what, though. Not that he'd want me telling you even if had, I suppose. Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with you guys, would it? I mean, being boarded by chaos space marines with no alarm going off is almost as rare as the boss changing his mind all of a sudden, and the timing's right." The low rumble of the servitor that had exited the room becomes audible to Balthreor's augmented senses when it makes it some distance away from the room, and Balthreor realises that rather than being a quiet model, the noise had been muffled by whatever was keeping the room and its immediate vicinity quiet. This realisation also draws his attention to the fact that the woman's voice seems unaffected. She seems to notice his confusion and grins. "Ah, the quiet. Yea, that's a thing that happens around me. Side effect of a sort. Funny thing, always thought Slaaneshi daemons were all about crazy sex and superdrugs. Well, apparently you can be excessive about sensory deprivation. Can't say I see the appeal, so I keep it locked in as much as tight as I can. Still, little fucker gets through every now and then." More servitors make their way towards the shuttle bay, and the woman glances from them to an old wrist-worn chrono and rushes after them. "Anyway, look at me rambling when I oughta be running." With the resident gone, Balthreor inspects the room, but finds nothing that doesn't appear to be a part of the standard décor of an Imperial ship's fancier staterooms.

Shuttle Bay
The sage looks at the rest of the people loading themselves and their belongings onto the guncutter. "Looks like we'll be going in a few minutes." She open the binder, takes out a few loose sheets of paper covered in tiny handwriting, and hands the binder with the rest of its contents to Brego. "Sadly I only have the originals of these, I'll make copies and have them delivered to you later, in exchange for the parts of your memories you said you would have to transcribe later." She grabs an empty piece of paper, scribbles down a few lines, and hands it to Brego. "Contact information for an independent contractor on Q'Sal. I'll send a copy of the rest of my notes to them as soon as possible, just contact them a few days from now. You can leave future transcripts with them too, they know how to contact me. Perhaps we can do more business in the future." Taking the binder and the note from the sage, Brego plugs an empty data-slate into himself and uploads what he can remember off-hand about the battle on Istvaan, as well as copies of real-time reports from the Battle of Terra stored in his unnatural brain.

With a small horde of labor servitors, and more than a few high-end combat ones, the inquisitor's retinue, including the obliterators, packs into the guncutter. A little light starts blinking and the bay doors open. Held in by a force field, the air in the hold is only slightly disturbed as the spacecraft plops out of the larger one and accelerates away. A tarot card with a picture of a grinning figure wearing a colourful pronged cap falls onto the floor, pulled in from the room above through the hole Samira's errant fire had made in the ceiling. You are now alone in the shuttle bay.

Waci fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 22, 2014

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"I will certainly have more as I recall it, Lady. Your contact in Q'Sal will not go wanting for work."

Brego's magnanimous expression drops the second the sage is on board the Inquisitor's ship and they're away. He turns and strides back into the workshop to jack into the comms. The first call he makes is to the storage bays. A factory ship like this would have plenty of raw materials for all number of necessities. The whole party has a few necessities to gather, plus Brego wants to grab a few odds and ends for himself. On his way, he addresses the bloody medic.

"Wake up the Siren. We may need her silver tongue and we both need her awake to properly operate and fit bionics."

Heading into the workshop, he flips switches and splices a few cables. Soon the storage bay is on the horn.

"This is deck 37.52. We are in need of supplies for our guests. We need two bionic prosthetic arms, an advanced combi-tool if you have such a thing, and as much raw fyceline ore as you can spare without affecting your daily operations. And I should mention that discretion is our utmost concern. We have important guests who wish us to safeguard their mission, and their gratitude is worth entire solar systems."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Harlan Grady, Apothecary of Khorne

"You prepare for surgery then? I suppose I'll have to assist, if you want this one to survive long enough for the operation to be completed."

Slightly annoyed that the plans to operate had been decided upon before a full inventory of damages had been done, Harlan jabs Samira with another needle and pumps her full of stimulants in order to wake her up and counteract the sedatives in her system.

"You may feel a bit nauseous after this. Do us a favor and don't vomit, I don't have time or the tools to remove bile from your burns."

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.
Samira

Everything was a bit hazy, but it seemed Samira was conscious enough to be aware of the slobber all over her face. She reached up with her right hand and wiped the drool away. Her awareness of the missing arm didn't happen for a while, until she went to dust herself off. She looked, and her left arm was gone, all the way up to the shoulder. "Well, that's inconveniencing." That's when it became clear about the surgery. "Ah, vomit. Yeah. I can't make any promises."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

Demeter remains silent as the sage and others board the guncutter and leave. "Well attacking Macragge shouldn't be too hard" Demeter thinks to himself, "Though I guess an Ultramarine vessel could also hold the information, if their Librariums are half as stocked as a Blood Raven vessel." The Sorcerer turns to those gathered, "Janus, tell me everything, and I mean everything, about the Ultramarine fleet, in particular, the Librariums of their various vessels. Spare me no detail, and I shall be in your debt."

Demeter turns to Brego, "One of those arms for me comrade?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"To my considerable knowledge, there are only two among us in need of quality prosthetics. The Siren is one, you are the other."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Harlan Grady, Apothecary of Khorne

"I could use an artificial source of patience if you are offering free upgrades. I think I'm going to need it if I have to stay around this imposter-astartes for very long. No discipline..."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

[]Janus

Janus had remained in his role of bodyguard until the Inquistorial team was well and gone, following the Slaaneshi sorcerer in his footsteps. Only when they are gone does he relax. "Well, there's a surprise. I was sure that was all going to end in blood. Well... more blood." He put away the Heavy Bolter, then thought as Demeter asked his question.

"Huh, let me think. I was never the Librarian, and you know how the Imperium is with idle curiosity. The information you're looking for, you'd definitely find a full account on any of the Flagships of the Ultramarines or their successor fleets, but we probably don't want to tangle with that at this instant. However, any Battle Barges would have a fair amount of that. Only Ultramarines though. When they have to suddenly go and assist one of the successor chapters, knowledge is power. Those Libaries would keep an account of every last bolt pistol the successor chapters got, along with information on their geneseed of course. Not exactly easy to get to, but at least it's not Macragge. As to where you'll find Battle Barges, that depends where the Ultramarines are in greater numbers. I haven't been in contact with any of them in a long time, so the positions I know are in all likelihood no longer valid."

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Balthreor

Balthreor stood near the room for a few more minutes, letting the encounter with the woman sink in. He hadn't heard from the others yet and the fact that the Inquisitor just left meant that there was a change in plan he was not informed about. Whatever happened, it would probably best for him to return to the shuttle bay, in the hopes he wasn't abandoned.

On the way to the shuttle bay he raised the others over vox. "Part of the Inquisitor's retinue just packed up and left. What is the status of our mission?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

With the Inquisitor gone, Ahemait strolls into the landing bay, looking at the others. "Well, we have redirected him. We've likely set something beautiful into motion here, as we are set to spring a trap on him at some point in his life. All we need to do is kill or uproot this Khornate cult, and report it in to his lesser; we may have an in to properly corrupt an Inquisitor, my friends." Ahemait smiles, and begins filling the others in on what exactly he told the Inquisitor.

read my other posts and act like I explained all that and let's get rolling

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"That is a bold goal. I shall render what aid I can."

Brego peels the breastplate from the wounded Samira. The flesh is not as damaged as you'd think given the state of the armor. Ceremite does block the transfer of heat fairly well and she wasn't baked alive within her own gear. Still, the missing arm protection allowed some of the molten metal from the deck to seep in. The left shoulder and side of the woman had suffered extensive burns, but none of them appeared life-threatening.

"I would suggest we scour this ship for any useful materials to take with us. I would very much like to inspect the more extensive workshops for anything worth acquiring. In the meantime, who else needs the aid of a machinist?"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Phovos

"Not all of us are as stupid as the woman," Phovos says, bending over to pick up the tarot card and studying it intently. He peers down through the hole left in the floor, absently crushing the card in his fist.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Janus

Janus gives an amused grin. "So, are we actually going to kill that cult, or have them go somewhere else as long as we take care of some orks, who we'll convince to go elsewhere if we deal with some tau, who we'll convince to go elsewhere if we deal with some eldar, and so on, and so on?"

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.
Samira

Absently going to hold up a hand to Phovos, "Oh, I think have that phantom limb thing, Pho! Guess what finger I'm holding up!"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Phovos

Phovos grins at Samira. "Phantom limb, eh? How'd you like to experience a phantom head?"

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Balthreor

"I am not sure that we will find many useful things on this ship." He draws his ceremonial blade. "But if we are here already we might want to pay the ecclesiarchy priests a visit."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Brego's request for supplies is answered with a short silence followed by an affirmative. A couple of minutes later, a freight elevator chimes in the hallway outside. Brego goes to greet the incoming elevator, and finds it loaded with two high-quality but human sized prosthetic arms, a fine-looking combi-tool, and crates containing, according to the elevator's scale, just over 15 tonnes of unprocessed fyceline. The cargo is unaccompanied by crewmembers or even servitors, showing that the order to leave the inquisitor's people alone is still being followed.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"Be still. I have to examine the arm."

Samira has plenty to look forward to, being a student of sensation. Being flash-fried in her own armor and welded to the deckplates is one kind of pain, but it's completely another to have a bionic grafted to your nervous system. But it has to be done while conscious and without sedation. Otherwise, you can't accurately calibrate the fine motor servos of the prosthesis. The process will be agonizing, but the body of an astartes, or one who has been uplifted by the gods, can handle it. They will need to get to a proper medical lab first, though, or risk the unsanitary conditions of a munitions workshop overcoming even the toughness of a champion of the gods. Then the armor will have to be repaired, but that can come later. In the meantime, Brego can still start to work on Demeter's arm.

Luckily the process is simpler. Demeter already has an arm equipped. While the slight fluctuations in the power flow are no doubt uncomfortable, they at least go smoother than working on a writing hedonist reveling in her masochism. The new arm is far too small for the sorcerer's frame, but at least Brego can use parts to replace the cruder but similarly-sized components on the marine-fitted bionic. The job is quickly done.

"Now, we are faced with an interesting option. This ship is clearly acting under inviolable orders. They will obey commands from the inquisitor without knowing from where the order comes. It is also a very valuable manufactorum. We can easily overcome the defenders and make it our own. Do we do this? Or shall we return to our patron?"

Medicae 75, Tech Use 100, Trade (Armorer) 85 to tinker with Demeter's arm.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 17, 2014

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.
Samira

While lying on the table, she pulls out her bolter, and aims in the direction of Phovos. "Sure, but only if I can give you a set of phantom balls to go with it."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

Finishing up with Demeter's arm, Brego is pleased that the bionic is working much more efficiently than it was. But it seems like they will need to strike out for the medical facilities to graft the other arm to Samira. That might as well be the first step in their hostile takeover of this ship.

"Since I'm hearing no objections, I will get the ship's schematics from the system. I want the manufactorum. I'm sure you can see how such an acquisition would benefit us all. The Siren will need her arm, but I'm equally sure you'll all advise me to delay that procedure."

Brego begins to stride toward the workshop, head high. He feels almost... commanding. Such pomposity will be short-lived, however. It is not proper for a logician to swell with ego.

"Our goal is now one of salvage. With the Inquisitor gone, we can easily overcome this ship and take it for our own."

With that, he jacks into the tech priest's terminal and begins to decrypt all functions. It's time the machine spirit bound within recognized a new master, one that shares such a spirit's love of knowledge and information.

Tech-Use 100 to crack the system and get schematics and and admin access if possible.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

The sorcerer sighs, running a hand over his hair. "We have no reason to take this ship. Its schemata and its secrets, certainly, but it would suit to work in secret, and to not raise the Inquisitor's ire; we have gained his trust and we will abuse it, but it would be preferable it not be shattered mere hours after it was forged." Ahemait strides across the shuttle bay, nudging Samira with his boot. "She will survive until we are returned to base, though if she does not, it will be no great loss. She almost cost us dearly, and to turn an Inquisitor such as Provolone against his own is a much greater delicacy to Slaanesh than simply 'I shoot everything everywhere, ho ho loud music.'" He spits and grimaces. "Distasteful."

"Brego, send the signal. Alert our transport and let them know they are safe to dock. If they wish the ship, we will take it, but I prefer we find our orders first." With that, Ahemait sheathes his sword and strolls away from Samira, shaking his head.

I say we get the transport here and boogie, and if we wanna take the ship, I say it's after we have transport out.

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.
Samira

"Screw that, let's take the ship."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

Using his improved arm, Demeter draws his force sword and does a few flourishes with it. After the clunking monstrosity that was his last arm, the Blood Raven is surprised at how much like his remaining flesh arm the prosthetic was. He bows to Brego, "thank you aspiring Warpsmith, my the gods bless your future endeavors, and count me an ally." The marine this sighs through his helmet, "and while ally I might be, and while I hate to say what I am about to say, I do agree with Ahemait. Our goal here is finished, and exposing myself to more danger here by trying to capture a vessel does not have any conceivable linkage to my short and long term goals. Let us be gone of this place."

The marine finishes his flourishes and then sheathes his sword.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Janus

"Yes, this mission is supposed to be somewhat subtle. And trying to take the ship could still threaten our mission. After all, if we attack them, and they get a message out that Chaos Space Marines are attacking them, they'll still assume that something has happened to the Inquisitor, even if it is not true. Deliciously ironic I'm sure, but not really worth the failure of our mission so close to our success."

He gives a smile towards Samira. "And since we're going to deal with a Khornite cult anyway, I'm sure you'll get to enjoy yourself soon enough."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

As Demeter talks, Ahemait turns, looking him over. The Tzeentchian had, for the most part, been a peer throughout the mission, a powerful psyker and a man with plans and boatloads of pragmatism. Their two gods were not ones that opposed, and he knew the man could be good for an alliance in a pinch, if it were something that favored him. Harlan, as well, seemed to be much more intelligent than a Khornate should be. Hm.

Ahemait muses for a moment, before clearing his voice. "Harlan, I have need to speak with you. We have further plans to discuss, while Brego tends to Samira and the schemata and secrets of the ship. I must know your opinion of something. " He turns once again, heading back into the corridor towards the Inquisitor's cabin. It was shielded, and he had much to discuss with the Khornate.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 27, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

The green eyes of Demeter's helmet stare back at Ahemait, his exterior visage matching the same blank and slightly confused stare under the helmet. He had just been insisting, smartly for a change, that they should leave, and now he wants to go back into the Inquisitor's meeting room.

Not willing the let the unstable Slaaneshi(though timid as a sleeping baby compared to Samira) out of his sight any longer, he follows. The Librarian swears that Ahemait is more secretive than most followers of the Changer of Ways.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Harlan Grady

With Samira stabilized and being actively worked on by Brego, the apothecary had found himself at loose ends. His technical skills were not great enough to assist in any of the work being done, and he was not needed for negotiations or violence of any kind. So he had begun to slow and tedious work of cleaning his tools of the blood and ash that had collected on them from the surgery he had performed, his mind drifting onto dark paths of memory until Ahemait spoke to him. Mind jostled back into awareness, the khornate silently took to his feet and followed after his temporary ally.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

The Slaaneshi dons his helmet as he walks, hearing the footfalls of two men behind him. He glances back, happy to see he got Demeter's attention; the former librarian could prove useful in this. The trip is quick, and he ushers the two men into the room he and two other marines had occupied not an hour before, turning the Inquisitor into a pawn and making him leave his target. When the two men are in, Ahemait clears his throat.

"Gentlemen. I have a proposition for you.." Ahemait turns to the two men as the door slides shut behind him, making his way to the side of the table Provolone had sat at. He feels under the table for a moment and presses the button the inquisitor had before, enacting comm silence within the room. "There. Demter, tell me, can you feel the minds of the others from here? The inquisitor had said this would keep such a thing from happening, but it may have been his lackey that did that. Are you able to shield our minds?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

Demeter remains standing by the door. "Why do you ask me if I can feel the minds of the others? My understanding was that you were a sorcerer, you tell me if any of them are there. If you brought me here to shield you from psychic intrusion, then you are mistaken abut both my abilities and for who I would use them. If you've something to say, then say it. The only thing worse than a Teentchian conspiring is a Slaaneshi conspiring."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

"I ask because this room should be psychically shielded, and unfortunately my abilities are neither telepathic in nature or of the divination persuasion.. but I myself do not sense the other psychics from here." Ahemait sits at the table, removing his helmet once more and looking both Harlan and Demeter over for a moment.

"I am concerned about a.. weakness, of sorts, within our warband. An element of unpredictability, one that could easily derail the plans of god or mortal simply by being allowed to persist." He leans forward, resting his chin on the knuckles of his linked hands. "We are, in essence, the closest this group holds to wielders of power." He gestures dramatically to the librarian. "Demeter, eternal font of knowledge, and a tribute to the unknowable power and intellect of Tzeentch, who has held the keys to several secrets since we first began working together; without your knowledge of the arcane and the forbidden, we would have never escaped that planet in time."

Ahemait looks to Harlan now, smiling. "And Harlan, master of anatomy; one whose devotion to Khorne is endless, for he knows from whence the blood flows, and how best to prolong or shorten its flowing, as necessary. I see the skill of a surgeon in you."

"And myself. Ahemait. I give you no titles, for I present myself as an equal in this junction, though you are well aware of my abilities." He sits up, linking his hands and resting them on the table. "I speak of the eradication of one of the members of our warband. Whether it be public or subtle, I prefer the public, but I do not know where your hearts lie on the matter."

The sorcerer goes quiet, his eyebrows raised as he looks to the two men, waiting for questions, or comments.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Demeter The Shattered

Demeter keeps his helmet on, not quite as chummy with those present, but at least sits at the table. "I assume you speak of Samira," Demeter says, and he places his hands on the table, palms down. "I'm surprised that you'd will to kill one of your own; that's devious, even by Tzeentch's standards; you sure you're worshiping the right God?"

The sorcerer balls his hands into fists leaving an audible *crack* of his knuckles before placing them down flat again on the table. "Have you considered all the consequences of your actions, or are you as short sighted as she? There are the concerns about group morale and trust if we start offing each other. Also, have you spoken with Janus? He might have more loyalty to other followers of your shared god than you apparently do. Lastly, what do you do about that daemon weapon of hers? Insane fool or not, she coerced that daemon into the weapon through force of will, it might not take too kindly to us killing it's champion."

Demeter lets out a sigh, "Is she a danger? Absolutely. Has she been nothing by a liability? See my last answer. Should we just march out there and kill her? No. I say either we engineer her death during a later mission, or next time she gets herself in over her head, like what happened here with those obliterators, do not come to her rescue. You should be concerned about the precedent this will set. I have noted that once reason is found to kill one, it is easy enough to find reason to kill the rest."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ahemait

Ahemait merely nods at the name, settling in and listening to Demeter speak. "I have loyalty to Slaanesh, but that does not mean I will risk my life unerringly for those that claim to follow the Prince. Janus is a true devotee of the Dark Lord; his food was decadent and his skills refined."

The sorcerer shifts in his seat. "But the girl is more base than a Khornate, and even then she is an insult to the Blood God. She is bloodthirsty and ignorant. She is more an ork than a true devotee to Slaanesh, since she seems to only get joy from firing her gun. There is no decadence or refinement in her character, and she holds nothing but risk."

"But worry not; I did not intend to simply 'march out there and kill her.' I am a being of taste; to simply run her through would be out of the question. No, I intended to use what resources we had to simply end our threat." He looks to Harlan now, smiling. "That is where our Khornate comes in. I am certain he, himself, has ideas."

"As for precedent? We seek only to strengthen the warband. All others have excelled. Samira.. has not. Even the Khornate berserker will attack when it is tactically justified, and will not simply run into the cannons of the foe. She is little more than an animal."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Harlan

"The girl is... unstable. I will agree to that. Even a danger to others, as she is unable to follow a plan. For the risk she caused to all of us, assaulting an Obliterator without warning, I would be glad to be rid of her, one way or another. I do wonder if her instability is due to a lack of balance in the mutations and techniques that were used to make her into an imitation of one of us. She has our physique, but perhaps none of the clarity of thought that we were engineered to have. I suspect her adrenal system was enhanced without any filtration system to prevent it from interfering with her higher thought functions, so she would go berserk the moment she felt excitement or fear..." Harlan gingerly takes a seat in one of the larger chairs, and tries to gently lean back. "And while this is not what we are here to discuss, it does lead me to wonder what other deficiencies her body contains. Does she have our immunity to most poisons? Is she unable to sleep, or does she sleep as often as we do, or more often? How long has she been as she is, and has her behavior changed? Killing her at the moment would be simple, but I worry more that her physical design is inherently flawed and likely to eventually kill her from the strain of trying to keep itself in balance."

Leaning his bulk back forwards, Harlan looks squarely at Ahemait for a long moment. "I would prefer to not kill her, at least not until I have had time to examine her. Even a swift death could ruin the results of my tests in a case like this. If I can see no reason for her instability, or a reason that her instability cannot be corrected, I will assist you and she will die for the honor of Khorne. However, if there is some chance we can salvage her... blood must flow for the blood god, and the dead bleed only once."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

As he continues to dominate the machinery, Brego cannot help but mutter about the shortsightedness of his companions.

"Oh, they love the toys, but who's going to make them? 'Oh, Brego, we need a weapon that can slay a mighty titan!' But of course! I can craft such a cannon that will make the heavens shake! Now, let me just get to my manufactorum- Oh, that's right. You fools left it behind! A mind capable of shattering worlds and they think only of trinkets..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
While Ahemait gathers his little cabal of conspirators in a different room, Brego voxes the Exemplar of Malice, informing them that the mission is complete and that a hangar is under your control and ready to receive a transport. After confirming the situation with the hangar, the voice on the other end of the vox line promises that a lander will arrive in come to pick you up as soon as possible, ETA 30 minutes.

Brego spends most of that time wired to a cogitator terminal in the corner of the hangar, shifting through data and copying as much of it as he can. While he quickly notices that he can't actually control shipwide systems without physical access tot he bridge or the enginarium, he manages to force his way to much more detailed information on the ship than he should have access to, brutally violating a machine spirit that was clearly not accustomed to unauthorized tampering. Though most of the data he finds is recorded in techna-lingua rather than in any form he can understand, he can identify some files simply by the attached diagrams or occasional bits of Low Gothic. Some of the most obvious candidates for potential value he finds are complete detailed schematics of the ship (identified by big pictures), passenger and crew rosters (lots of names and dates), and scheduled ports of call and translation points (recognizable planet or system names, as well as excerpts identifiable as being in the secret tongue of the navis nobilite rather than the mechanicus). Though the ship's cogitator banks have far too much memory capacity for Brego to simply copy everything he finds, he grabs the bits he can identify, as well as the most strongly protected files he can access.

29 minutes after the end of Brego's vox conversation, a Thunderhawk Transporter enters the hangar, painted with Imperial symbols but without the usual chapter markings one int he service of an astartes chapter would have. The ramp lowers and a voice from the transport's vox casters welcomes you to board as soon as you're ready. A moment later a dapper short fella in a well-fitting suit steps out and looks at Phovos.

"Right, big fella, there might be some trouble fitting you inside. These things aren't exactly built for leg room, and, well, looks more likely we'd fit Martha here inside you than you inside her." He looks deep in thought for a few seconds, and then speaks slowly, as if uncertain about his own plan. "Now, since you made it on board, I gather you're more agile than your size would lead me to guess, so here's what we're gonna go. We'll get everyone else on board, I'll take off, and turn 90 degrees nose up just outside, and bring her close to the door. Then you jump out of the door gently as you can, bump bellies with Martha, and we lock the magclamps. When we get back tot he Exemplar, we just do the same in reverse. This sound acceptable to you, or would you rather we try towing you with a cable or something?"

Phovos can either object to this arrangement or get ready to bellyslam a Thunderhawk. Everyone else, get on board if you're ready to leave.

• Locked thread